Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-sctpnat-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Network Address Translation
	Author(s)       : R. Stewart, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-sctpnat-02.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2009-12-21

Stream Control Transmission Protocol [RFC4960] provides a reliable
communications channel between two end-hosts in many ways similar to
TCP [RFC0793].  With the widespread deployment of Network Address
Translators (NAT), specialized code has been added to NAT for TCP
that allows multiple hosts to reside behind a NAT and yet use only a
single globally unique IPv4 address, even when two hosts (behind a
NAT) choose the same port numbers for their connection.  This
additional code is sometimes classified as Network Address and Port
Translation or NAPT.  To date, specialized code for SCTP has NOT yet
been added to most NATs so that only pure NAT is available.  The end
result of this is that only one SCTP capable host can be behind a
NAT.

This document describes an SCTP specific variant of NAT which
provides similar features of NAPT in the single point and multi-point
traversal scenario.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.
The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 24, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-sctpnat-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.