Subject: I-D Action:draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:15:03 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Plug-and-Play Nodal Deployment Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : T. Tsou (Ting ZOU)
	Filename        : draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement-02.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2009-12-22

When a new network node is brought into service, it is typically
configured using scripts worked out in advance.  These scripts depend
critically upon knowledge of the network topology, that is, the
node's address and link information.  While this information may be
derived during advance planning, deviations from plan occur in
practice.  Correcting the scripts can be expensive, particularly if
the corrections have to be reapplied on-site after installation.
When an entire network of tens of thousands of nodes is being brought
into service, such expenses become a significant part of the
deployment budget.

Clearly it is helpful if plug-and-play operation of new nodes can be
enabled, such that a link between the node and a network management
system is established automatically upon activation.  In the first
place, this allows automated assignment of the node's address and
acquisition of its link information at the central location.  Beyond
that, it provides the means for application of configuration scripts
from a central point, avoiding the cost of sending a skilled
craftsperson to a remote site.

This memo describes the problem of plug-and-play deployment of new
nodes.  It defines this problem as minimizing the amount of pre-
configuration required to achieve a successful IKEv2 exchange with a
central management system.  It assumes that part of the solution
consists of a protocol that distributes addresses from the network
management system to the nodes as a preliminary to that exchange.  It
explores the requirements on that protocol in various network
scenarios.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 20, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsou-network-configuration-problem-statement-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.