Subject: I-D Action:draft-vesely-vhlo-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Verified-Hello SMTP extension
	Author(s)       : A. Vesely
	Filename        : draft-vesely-vhlo-05.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2009-12-18

This SMTP extension is designed to ease whitelisting.  It provides a
VHLO command verb for weak authentication of SMTP clients.  Weakly
authenticated clients enjoy an intermediate level of trust: they have
no relying privileges, but can attempt to deliver mail to local
users, are whitelisted from some filters, and may receive DSNs as
needed.

Weak authentication methods are of two kinds: On the one hand the
sending domain must be vouched for by a trusted third party (VBR).
Short of a "Mythical Global Reputation System", domains within a
closed set may still enjoy mutual whitelisting by setting up their
own ad-hoc vouching server.  On the other hand, the sending host's
affiliation with the mail domain is checked by DNS lookups (MX, PTR,
or SPF) or using DKIM "Author Signature".  DNSBLs and Greylisting are
also considered.

Servers provide feedback to their clients about which vouching
services or authentication methods they require.  That way they have
a means of spreading their choices.  This feature is intended for
easing rapid diffusion by word of mouth of those reputation system,
as well as of popular authentication methods.  A IANA register is
defined for extending the set of available methods.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on June 21, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vesely-vhlo-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.