Subject: I-D Action:draft-begen-avt-rtp-mpeg2ts-preamble-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : RTP Payload Format for MPEG2-TS Preamble
	Author(s)       : A. Begen, E. Friedrich
	Filename        : draft-begen-avt-rtp-mpeg2ts-preamble-04.txt
	Pages           : 39
	Date            : 2009-12-10

Demultiplexing and decoding an MPEG2 Transport Stream (MPEG2-TS)
requires the knowledge of specific information about the transport
stream, which we refer to as the MPEG2-TS Preamble.  While this
information is spread over different locations throughout the
transport stream and can be eventually assembled after some time a
receiver started receiving the MPEG2-TS, the time it takes to
retrieve all this information (especially in multicast environments)
may be long.  Instead, having this information readily available as a
Preamble and sending the Preamble to a receiver that will shortly
start receiving the transport stream will virtually eliminate the
waiting time and let the receiver start processing/decoding the
MPEG2-TS sooner.  In this document, we give an overview of the
MPEG2-TS and the delay components in video systems, and motivate the
need for constructing and using the MPEG2-TS Preamble for rapidly
acquiring the source stream in RTP multicast sessions.  We also
define and register the RTP payload format for the MPEG2-TS Preamble.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.
This Internet-Draft will expire on June 13, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-begen-avt-rtp-mpeg2ts-preamble-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.