Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 08:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Next Steps in Signaling Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : NSIS Operation Over IP Tunnels
	Author(s)       : C. Shen, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-07.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2009-12-03

NSIS QoS signaling enables applications to perform QoS reservation
along a data flow path.  When the data flow path contains IP tunnel
segments, NSIS QoS signaling has no effect within those tunnel
segments and the resulting QoS-untended tunnel segments could become
the weakest QoS link and invalidate the QoS efforts in the rest of
the end-to-end path.  The problem with NSIS signaling within the
tunnel is caused by the tunnel encapsulation which masks packets'
original IP header fields.  Those original IP header fields are
needed to intercept NSIS signaling messages and classify QoS data
packets.  This document defines a solution to this problem by mapping
end-to-end QoS session requests to corresponding QoS sessions in the
tunnel, thus extending the end-to-end QoS signaling into the IP
tunnel segments.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.
This Internet-Draft will expire on June 6, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2009 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-tunnel-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.