Subject: I-D Action:draft-whittle-ivip-db-fast-push-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Ivip Mapping Database Fast Push
	Author(s)       : R. Whittle
	Filename        : draft-whittle-ivip-db-fast-push-02.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2010-01-13

>From the base of draft-whittle-ivip-arch-03 and later, this ID
describes in greater detail Ivip's fast-push mapping distribution
system.  This accepts mapping changes from end-user networks or
organizations they authorise to make these changes.  The mapping
changes are handled by RUAS (Root Update Authorization Server)
companies who collectively run a small set of Launch servers and a
global network of Replicator servers.  Each second, the Launch
servers send sets of packets with mapping updates to a larger number
of level 0 Replicators, each of which gets at least two feeds of
these mapping updates from different Launch servers.  Each Level 1
Replicator fans out the mapping changes to multiple Level 2
Replicators, which also receive at least two feeds from upstream
Level 1 Replicators.  In this way, within a fraction of a second, the
mapping changes are fanned out securely and reliably to full database
query servers (QSDs) in ISPs and some end-user networks all over the
Net. Additionally, QSDs can download missing packets and snapshots of
segments of the mapping database.  A WAG of 4 billion mapping changes
a year gives a raw data rate for IPv6 mapping changes of only 32kbps.
TTR mobility only involves mapping changes if the MN moves a large
distance, such as 1000km.  Multihoming service restoration updates
would be infrequent.  Mapping changes for TE could be numerous
depending on cost.  It is hard to imagine a scenario where mapping
changes would present significant difficulties in terms of bandwidth
or in terms of the capacity of QSDs to handle them.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on July 17, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-db-fast-push-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.