Subject: I-D Action:draft-zhang-pce-udp-for-pcecp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:45:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : UDP as Transport Protocol for PCECP
	Author(s)       : F. Zhang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-zhang-pce-udp-for-pcecp-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-01-20

The Path Computation Element Communication Protocol defines a 
request/response protocol used for the communication between a Path 
Computation Client (PCC) and a Path Computation Element (PCE), or 
between two PCEs. PCEP employs Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) as 
the transport layer protocol by using a registered TCP port. 

This document proposes the possibility of employing UDP as the 
transport layer protocol instead of TCP. 

UDP is a connectionless protocol within TCP/IP protocol suite that 
corresponds to the transport layer in the ISO/OSI reference model. 
UDP converts data messages generated by an application into packets 
to be sent through IP. The reliability is not guaranteed by UDP and 
should be ensured by the application that generates the data message. 

The PCECP application is flexible to ensure the reliability of PCECP 
messages. This document explains on how the reliability of the PCECP 
messages can be achieved by means of PCECP, while operating PCECP 
over UDP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-pce-udp-for-pcecp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.