Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Extensions to VPLS PE model for Provider Backbone Bridging
	Author(s)       : A. Sajassi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2010-01-07

IEEE 802.1ah standard [IEEE802.1ah], also known as Provider Backbone 
Bridges (PBB) defines an architecture and bridge protocols for 
interconnection of multiple Provider Bridge Networks (PBNs). PBB was 
defined in IEEE as a connectionless technology based on multipoint 
VLAN tunnels. MSTP is used as the core control plane for loop 
avoidance and load balancing. As a result, the coverage of the 
solution is limited by STP scale in the core of large service 
provider networks. PBB on the other hand can be used to attain better 
scalability in terms of number of customer MAC addresses and number 
of service instances that can be supported.  

Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS) [RFC4762] provides a solution for 
extending Ethernet LAN services, using MPLS tunneling capabilities, 
through a routed MPLS backbone without running (M)STP across the 
backbone. As a result, VPLS has been deployed on a large scale in 
service provider networks.  

This draft discusses extensions to the VPLS PE model required to 
incorporate desirable PBB components while maintaining the Service 
Provider fit of the initial model.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-pbb-vpls-pe-model-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.