Subject: I-D Action:draft-lebovitz-karp-roadmap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Roadmap for Cryptographic Authentication of Routing Protocol Packets on the Wire
	Author(s)       : G. Lebovitz
	Filename        : draft-lebovitz-karp-roadmap-00.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2010-01-14

In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of
"Unwanted Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is
documented in RFC 4948 [RFC4948].  Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls for
"[t]ightening the security of the core routing infrastructure."  Four
main steps were identified for improving the security of the routing
infrastructure.  One of those steps was "securing the routing
protocols' packets on the wire."  One mechanism for securing routing
protocol packets on the wire is the use of per-packet cryptographic
message authentication, providing both peer authentication and
message integrity.  Many different routing protocols exist and they
employ a range of different transport subsystems.  Therefore there
must necessarily be various methods defined for applying
cryptographic authentication to these varying protocols.  Many
routing protocols already have some method for accomplishing
cryptographic message authentication.  However, in many cases the
existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and/or employ
cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  This document
creates a roadmap of protocol specification work for the use of
modern cryptogrpahic mechanisms and algorithms for message
authentication in routing protocols.  It also defines the framework
for a key management protocol that may be used to create and manage
session keys for message authentication and integrity.  This roadmap
reflects the input of both the security area and routing area in
order to form a jointly agreed upon and prioritized work list for the
effort.  This version is actually the fourth version, but is recently
renamed from "-kmart-roadmap" to "-karp-roadmap" to follow the new
working group name.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on July 17, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lebovitz-karp-roadmap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.