Subject: I-D Action:draft-whittle-ivip-arch-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 05:30:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Ivip (Internet Vastly Improved Plumbing) Architecture
	Author(s)       : R. Whittle
	Filename        : draft-whittle-ivip-arch-03.txt
	Pages           : 73
	Date            : 2010-01-13

Ivip (Internet Vastly Improved Plumbing) is a core-edge separation
solution to the routing scaling problem, for both IPv4 and IPv6.  It
provides portable address space which is suitable for multihoming and
inbound traffic engineering (TE) to end-user networks of all types
and sizes.  The subset of the global unicast address space which is
used in this fashion is called SPI (Scalable Provider Independent)
space.  End-user networks divide their SPI space into "micronets",
each with a common mapping to a particular ETR (Egress Tunnel Router)
address.  ITRs (Ingress Tunnel Routers) receive packets which are
addressed to SPI addresses and, after looking up the mapping at a
local query server, tunnel traffic packets to the ETR which delivers
them to the end-user network.  Ivip pushes mapping changes in real-
time to local full-database query servers - such as in each ISP.
These answer ITRs' mapping queries and push subsequent changes to the
mapping to any ITRs which would still be caching the mapping of an
earlier reply.  The mapping for a micronet consists of a single ETR
address.  ITRs make no decisions between multiple ETR addresses.
End-user networks would typically contract a separate company to
change the mapping of their micronet, in response to the reachability
of their ETRs and TE and portability between ISPs.  Ivip includes two
extensions for ITR-to-ETR tunneling without encapsulation and the
resulting Path MTU Discovery problems - one for IPv4 and the other
for IPv6.  Both involve modifying the IP header and require most DFZ
routers to be upgraded.  Ivip is a good basis for the TTR
(Translating Tunnel Router) approach to mobility, in which mobile
hosts retain an SPI micronet of one IPv4 address (or IPv6 /64) no
matter what physical addresses they are using, including behind NAT.
TTR mobility for both IPv4 and IPv6 involves generally optimal paths
and works with unmodified correspondent hosts.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on July 17, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-arch-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.