Subject: I-D Action:draft-whittle-ivip-fpr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Fast Payload Replication mapping distribution for Ivip
	Author(s)       : R. Whittle
	Filename        : draft-whittle-ivip-fpr-00.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2010-01-18

Fast Payload Replication (FPR) is a technique for fanning out the
payloads of individual packets to large numbers of recipients.  By
trading off efficiency for robustness, the system can be made highly
tolerant of random packet loss or loss of connection from some
upstream Replicators.  FPR is simpler and less efficient than
Reliable Multicast or Secure Multicast, but can operate on a global
scale over the DFZ.  It is a host-to-host arrangement and is
independent of routers and network topology.  Packets are DTLS
encrypted so spoofed packets cannot enter the Replicator system.
Since it is not completely robust against packet or link loss, or
secure against an attack which compromises a Replicator, the basic
FPR should be supplemented with Missing Payload Servers and end-to-
end authentication of received data in order to make an entirely
robust and secure system.  FPR is being developed as part of a global
fast-push mapping distribution system for the Ivip core-edge
separation scalable routing architecture.  It should be able to fan
out information to hundreds of thousands of recipients, worldwide, in
less than a second.  FPR may have other applications.

Status of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.
The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on July 22, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-fpr-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.