Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-tsvwg-tcp-eack-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TCP Extended Acknowledgment Options
	Author(s)       : M. Huang
	Filename        : draft-huang-tsvwg-tcp-eack-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2010-02-26

TCP may experience asymmetric bi-directional performance and poor 
over all performance when acknowledgments (ACKs) are sent by 
separate packets instead of being piggybacked by data packets.  
Between two TCP end points, when two-way traffic flows do not share 
the same TCP connection, the increase of traffic volume in one 
direction consumes more bandwidth in the reverse direction by 
generating more separate ACK packets, potentially causing more 
congestions in the reverse direction.

An Extended Acknowledgment (EACK) mechanism can help overcome these
limitations.  The receiving TCP sends back EACK packets to the sender
informing the sender of data, including data of the current TCP 
connection and data of other eligible connections, that have been
received.  EACK thus reduces the need for separate ACK packets and
improves the bi-directional symmetry and over all throughput.

This memo proposes an implementation of EACK and discusses its 
related issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-tsvwg-tcp-eack-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.