Subject: I-D Action:draft-ellard-dtnrg-reltime-htl-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:30:03 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Extending the Bundle Protocol with Relative Time and Hops to Live
	Author(s)       : D. Ellard
	Filename        : draft-ellard-dtnrg-reltime-htl-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-02-24

This draft presents two extensions to the DTN bundle protocol.  The
first extension is the use of relative time rather than absolute time
to address situations where the DTN nodes cannot achieve loosely
synchronized clocks, as required by the current DTN bundle protocol.
The second extension is the addition of a "hops-to-live" field to the
bundle header, which specifies how many node-to-node hops each
instance of a bundle is permitted to make before it expires.

These two extensions are separable; either may be used independently
of the other.  Used together, however, they provide a powerful way to
constrain resources consumed by the handling of a DTN bundle despite
the absence of synchronized clocks or the presence of incomplete
knowledge of the network topology (which may lead to the presence of
hazards such as routing loops).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ellard-dtnrg-reltime-htl-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.