Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 07:15:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts using the "Bump-In-the-Stack" Technique (BIS)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2010-02-18

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Stack" (BIS) host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
reachable or supporting only the other address family.  Furthermore,
this technology avoids need for unnecessary double protocol
translation in the case where destination is dual-stack enabled.

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack, IPv6 only or IPv4 only network connectivity.  In the dual
stack network case, single address family applications in the host
will communicate directly with other hosts reachable with the
different address family.  In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6
only destination, IPv4-originated communications have to be be
translated into IPv6.  IPv6 communications may have to translated
similarly to IPv4.  In the scenario of single address family access
network, but dual-stack destination, network based translation is
always avoided.  Technically, the BIS-enabled host resolves both IPv4
and IPv6 addresses of the destination and behaves according to
received responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
TSUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI's [RFC2767],
which similarly provides a dual stack host means to communicate with
other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The original document
was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect three components

1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2.  Supporting IPv4 only network connections

3.  Supporting dual stack network connections with translation

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.