Subject: I-D Action:draft-whittle-ivip-drtm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 06:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : DRTM - Distributed Real Time Mapping for Ivip and LISP
	Author(s)       : R. Whittle
	Filename        : draft-whittle-ivip-drtm-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2010-02-25

Distributed Real Time Mapping (DRTM) is intended for Ivip, but may be
useful for other Core-Edge Separation solutions to the routing
scaling problem, such as LISP.  Companies which operate MABs (Mapped
Address Blocks) of "edge" SPI (Scalable PI) address space establish a
number of widely dispersed sites from which to operate DITRs (Default
ITRs in the DFZ).  These DITRs are required to tunnel packets sent
from hosts in networks without ITRs.  DITRs are caching ITRs closely
connected to mapping query servers which are sent a real-time feed of
mapping updates for all the MABs the site supports.  By making this,
or a similar, query server publicly available, caching Map Resolvers
(MRs) in nearby ISP networks can resolve the mapping queries of the
ITRs in that ISP's network, and in the end-user networks which use
this ISP.  The DITR-Site mapping servers securely inform MRs of any
changes to mapping which occur during the caching time of the map
replies, and the MRs perform the same algorithm and pass the updated
mapping to the one or more ITRs which is caching the mapping returned
in the original reply.  In this way, the tunneling behaviour of all
ITRs the world over is controlled in real-time.  Unlike previous
approaches to Ivip's mapping distribution system, there is no need
for mapping servers which contain the full database of mapping for
all MABs.  Nor is there a need for real-time mapping feeds to ISPs.
Since the MABOC companies typically come most of the distance to ISPs
all over the world, with their DITR sites, these DITR site query
servers are typically close enough and numerous enough to scale well
and provide very rapid mapping replies, with little loss of packets.
This avoids the "lost and delayed initial packets" problem inherent
in global query server systems such as LISP-ALT.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-drtm-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.