Subject: I-D Action:draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:15:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Synchronized Playback in Rapid Acquisition of Multicast Sessions
	Author(s)       : P. Yang, Y. Wang
	Filename        : draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2010-02-26

When watching the same IPTV channel, different TV sets may not render
the same picture and the associated audio at the same moment.  The
variation in end-to-end delay that resulted in such asynchronous
playback between users is referred to as inter-user playback delay.
Unicast based rapid acquisition of multicast RTP sessions (RAMS) as
specified in [I-D.ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition- for-rtp] is an
important technique in achieving fast channel switching in IPTV as
well as other multicast applications.  In addition, RAMS also
significantly relaxes the requirement of relatively short random
access point period in encoding of video streams in multicast
applications, thus allowing significantly improved compression
efficiency.  However, on the other hand, the use of RAMS increases
inter-user playback delay, which makes users receiving the same
multicast session playback the same content asynchronously.  This
document specifies a mechanism to help reduce inter-user playback
delay caused by the use of RAMS.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.