Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 08:45:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-API" (BIA)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2010-02-17

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-API" (BIA) host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
reachable or supporting only the other address family.

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack, IPv6 only or IPv4 only network connectivity.  In the dual
stack network case, single address family applications in the host
sometime will communicate directly with other hosts using the
different address family.  In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6
only destination, IPv4- originated communications have to be
translated into IPv6.  IPv6 communications may have to be translated
similarly to IPv4.  Technically, the BIA-enabled host resolves both A
and AAAA addresses of the destination and behaves according to
received responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Seungyun
Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and Erik Nordmark's
[RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host means to
communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The
original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect four components

1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2.  Supporting IPv4 only network connections

3.  Removing Applicability and Disclaimer

4.  Supporting dual stack network connections with translation

The goal of this mechanism is the same as that of the Bump-in-the-
stack mechanism, but this mechanism provides the translation method
between the IPv4 APIs and IPv6 APIs.  Thus, the goal is simply
achieved without IP header translation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.