Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 09:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) 
Design Guidelines 
	Author(s)	: G. Lebovitz, M. Bhatia
	Filename	: draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-00.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2010-2-25
	
In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of "Unwanted 
Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is documented in RFC 
4948 [RFC4948]. Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls for [t]ightening the 
security of the core routing infrastructure."  Four main steps were 
identified for improving the security of the routing infrastructure.  
One of those steps was "securing the routing protocols' packets on the 
wire."  One mechanism for securing routing protocol packets on the wire 
is the use of per-packet cryptographic message authentication, 
providing both peer authentication and message integrity.  Many 
different routing protocols exist and they employ a range of different 
transport subsystems.  Therefore there must necessarily be various 
methods defined for applying cryptographic authentication to these 
varying protocols.  Many routing protocols already have some method for 
accomplishing cryptographic message authentication.  However, in many 
cases the existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and/or 
employ cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  This 
document is one of a series concerned with defining a roadmap of 
protocol specification work for the use of modern cryptographic 
mechanisms and algorithms for message authentication in routing 
protocols.  In particular, it defines the framework for a key 
management protocol that may be used to create and manage session keys 
for message authentication and integrity.  The overall roadmap reflects 
the input of both the security area and routing area in order to form a 
jointly agreed upon and prioritized work list for the effort. 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.