Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-cui-softwire-pet-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: IPv4/IPv6 Coexistence Framework (PET)
	Author(s)	: Y. Cui, M. Xu, S. Wang, J. Wu, X. Li, C. Metz
	Filename	: draft-cui-softwire-pet-02.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2010-3-10
	
IPv4 and IPv6 are expected to coexist for a long period.  Currently,
   there are many IPv4/IPv6 transition/coexistence techniques, which can
   be roughly divided into two categories: tunneling and translation.
   Both tunneling and translation have restricted application scopes,
   and translation has some technical limitations.  To maximize the
   benifits and reduce the costs, we may need to use both tunneling and
   translation in some scenarios.  Besides, there may be multiple
   network devices capable of performing translation/tunneling along the
   end-to-end path.  It's important to choose the appropriate
   device(devices) to execute translation/tunneling.

   This draft brings up the method of choosing the appropriate
   translation spot to avoid the limitations of translation.
   Furthermore, this draft presents an IPv4-IPv6 transition/coexistence
   framework named PET (short for Prefixing, Encapsulation and
   Translation).  PET integrates tunneling and translation to support
   both traversing and IPv4-IPv6 interconnection, and uses tunneling and
   translation properly to constitute communication modes in different
   scenarios.  When executing translation, PET achieves translation spot
   negotiation through signaling process between PET devices.  PET
   framework covers most network transition scenarios.  It is a generic
   solution framework for IPv4-IPv6 coexistence.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cui-softwire-pet-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.