Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-API" (BIA)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-03-08

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-API" (BIA) host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
reachable or supporting only the other address family.

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack or IPv6 only network connectivity.  In the dual stack network
case, single address family applications in the host sometime will
communicate directly with other hosts using the different address
family.  In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination,
IPv4-originated communications have to be translated into IPv6.
Technically, the BIA-enabled host resolves both A and AAAA addresses
of the destination and behaves according to received responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Seungyun
Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and Erik Nordmark's
[RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host means to
communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The
original document was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect four components

1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2.  IPv4 address pool use private address

3.  Extending ENR and address mapper to operate differently

4.  Adding an alternative way to implement the ENR

The goal of this mechanism is the same as that of the Bump-in-the-
stack mechanism, but this mechanism provides the translation method
between the IPv4 APIs and IPv6 APIs.  Thus, the goal is simply
achieved without IP header translation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-behave-rfc3338bis-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.