Subject: I-D Action:draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 06:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using International Standard Book Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
	Author(s)       : M. Huttunen, et al.
	Filename        : draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-03-22

The International Standard Book Number, ISBN, is a widely used
identifier for monographic publications.  Since 2001, there has been
a URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace for ISBNs.  The namespace
registration was performed in RFC 3187 and applies to the ISBN as
specified in the original ISO Standard 2108-1992.  To allow for
further growth in use, the successor ISO Standard, ISO 2108-2005, has
defined an expanded format for the ISBN, known as "ISBN-13".  This
document replaces RFC 3187 and defines how both the old and new ISBN
standard can be supported within the URN framework and the syntax for
URNs defined in RFC 2141.  An updated namespace registration is
included, which describes how both the old and the new ISBN format
can share the same namespace.

Discussion

This draft version is the outcome of work started in 2008 and brought
to the IETF as a contribution to a much larger effort to revise the
basic URN RFCs, in order to bring them in alignment with the current
URI Standard (STD 63, RFC 3986), ABNF, and IANA guidelines, and to
establish a modern URN resolution system for bibliographic
identifiers.

Until a more specific mailing list is established, comments are
welcome on the [email-masked] mailing list (or sent to the
authors).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.