Subject: I-D Action:draft-whittle-ivip-arch-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Ivip (Internet Vastly Improved Plumbing) Architecture
	Author(s)       : R. Whittle
	Filename        : draft-whittle-ivip-arch-04.txt
	Pages           : 70
	Date            : 2010-03-08

Ivip (Internet Vastly Improved Plumbing) is a Core-Edge Separation
solution to the routing scaling problem, for both IPv4 and IPv6.  It
provides portable address "edge" address space which is suitable for
multihoming and inbound traffic engineering (TE) to end-user networks
of all types and sizes - in a manner which imposes far less load on
the DFZ control plane than the only current method of achieving these
benefits: separately advertised PI prefixes.  Ivip includes two
extensions for ITR-to-ETR tunneling without encapsulation and the
Path MTU Discovery problems which result from encapsulation - one for
IPv4 and the other for IPv6.  Both involve modifying the IP header
and require most DFZ routers to be upgraded.  Ivip is a good basis
for the TTR (Translating Tunnel Router) approach to mobility, in
which mobile hosts retain an SPI micronet of one or more IPv4
addresses (or IPv6 /64s) no matter what addresses or access network
they are using, including behind NAT and on SPI addresses.  TTR
mobility for both IPv4 and IPv6 involves generally optimal paths,
works with unmodified correspondent hosts and supports all
application protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-arch-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.