Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SDP Capability Negotiation
	Author(s)	: F. Andreasen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-13.txt
	Pages		: 89
	Date		: 2010-3-25
	
The Session Description Protocol (SDP) was intended for describing
   multimedia sessions for the purposes of session announcement,
   session invitation, and other forms of multimedia session
   initiation. SDP was not intended to provide capability indication or
   capability negotiation, however over the years, SDP has seen
   widespread adoption and as a result it has been gradually extended
   to provide limited support for these, notably in the form of the
   offer/answer model defined in RFC 3264. SDP does not define how to
   negotiate one or more alternative transport protocols (e.g. RTP
   profiles) or attributes. This makes it difficult to deploy new RTP
   profiles such as secure RTP or RTP with RTCP-based feedback,
   negotiate use of different security keying mechanisms, etc. It also
   presents problems for some forms of media negotiation.

   The purpose of this document is to address these shortcomings by
   extending SDP with capability negotiation parameters and associated
   offer/answer procedures to use those parameters in a backwards
   compatible manner.

   The document defines a general SDP Capability Negotiation framework.
   It also specifies how to provide attributes and transport protocols
   as capabilities and negotiate them using the framework. Extensions
   for other types of capabilities (e.g. media types and media formats)
   may be provided in other documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-capability-negotiation-13.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.