Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:45:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The Threat Analysis and Requirements for Cryptographic Authentication of Routing Protocols' Transports
	Author(s)       : G. Lebovitz
	Filename        : draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2010-03-01

In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of
"Unwanted Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is
documented in RFC 4948 [RFC4948].  Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls for
"[t]ightening the security of the core routing infrastructure."  Four
main steps were identified for improving the security of the routing
infrastructure.  One of those steps was "securing the routing
protocols' packets on the wire," also called the routing protocol
transport.  One mechanism for securing routing protocol transports is
the use of per-packet cryptographic message authentication, providing
both peer authentication and message integrity.  Many different
routing protocols exist and they employ a range of different
transport subsystems.  Therefore there must necessarily be various
methods defined for applying cryptographic authentication to these
varying protocols.  Many routing protocols already have some method
for accomplishing cryptographic message authentication.  However, in
many cases the existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack,
and/or employ cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.
The "Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols" (KARP) effort
aims to overhaul and improve these mechanisms.  This document has two
main parts.  The first describes the threat analysis for attacks
against routing protocols' transports.  The second enumerates the
requirements for addressing the described threats.  This document,
along with the KARP Design Guide and KARP Framework documents, will
be used by KARP design teams for specific protocol review and
overhaul.  This document reflects the input of both the IETF's
Security Area and Routing Area in order to form a jointly agreed upon
guidance.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.