Subject: I-D Action:draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 02:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multicast DNS
	Author(s)       : S. Cheshire, M. Krochmal
	Filename        : draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-10.txt
	Pages           : 62
	Date            : 2010-03-23

As networked devices become smaller, more portable, and
more ubiquitous, the ability to operate with less configured
infrastructure is increasingly important. In particular,
the ability to look up DNS resource record data types
(including, but not limited to, host names) in the absence
of a conventional managed DNS server is becoming essential.

Multicast DNS (mDNS) provides the ability to do DNS-like operations
on the local link in the absence of any conventional unicast DNS
server. In addition, mDNS designates a portion of the DNS namespace
to be free for local use, without the need to pay any annual fee, and
without the need to set up delegations or otherwise configure a
conventional DNS server to answer for those names.

The primary benefits of mDNS names are that (i) they require little
or no administration or configuration to set them up, (ii) they work
when no infrastructure is present, and (iii) they work during
infrastructure failures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.