Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : VPLS Interoperability with CE Bridges
	Author(s)       : A. Sajassi, F. Brockners
	Filename        : draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-05.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2010-03-08

One of the main motivations behind VPLS is its ability to provide 
connectivity not only among customer routers and servers/hosts but 
also among customer IEEE bridges. VPLS is expected to deliver the 
same level of service that current enterprise users are accustomed 
to from their own enterprise bridged networks or their Ethernet 
Service Providers. 
 
When CE devices are IEEE bridges, then there are certain issues and 
challenges that need to be accounted for in a VPLS network. The 
majority of these issues have been addressed in the IEEE 802.1ad 
standard for provider bridges and they can be leveraged for VPLS 
networks. This draft extends the PE model described in [RFC-4664] 
based on IEEE 802.1ad bridge module, and illustrates a clear 
demarcation between the IEEE bridge module and IETF LAN emulation 
module. By doing so, it shows that the majority of interoperability 
issues with CE bridges can be delegated to the 802.1ad bridge 
module, thus removing the burden on the IETF LAN emulation module 
within a VPLS PE.

Conventions 
 
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", 
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this 
document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC-2119].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-bridge-interop-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.