Subject: I-D Action:draft-tschofenig-conex-ps-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 15:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Congestion Exposure Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : H. Tschofenig, A. Cooper
	Filename        : draft-tschofenig-conex-ps-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-03-08

The increasingly ubiquitous availability of broadband, together with
flat-rate pricing, have made for increasing congestion problems on
the network, which are often caused by a small number of users
consuming a large amount of bandwidth.  In some cases, building out
more capacity to handle this new congestion may be infeasible or
unwarranted.  As a result, network operators have sought other ways
to manage congestion both from their own users and from other
networks.  These different types of solutions have different
strengths and weaknesses, but all of them are limited in a number of
key ways.

This document discusses the problems created for operators by high-
consuming users and describes the strengths and weaknesses of a
number of techniques operators are currently using to cope with high
bandwidth usage.  The discussion of these solutions ultimately points
to a need for a new kind of congestion accounting.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-conex-ps-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.