Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: ICMPv6 based Generic Control Protocol (IGCP)
	Author(s)	: R. Chaparadza, R. Petre, L. Xin, Y. Li, S. Cheng
	Filename	: draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00.txt
	Pages		: 25
	Date		: 2010-3-1
	
   This document presents a proposal for a multi-purpose Generic Control
   Protocol (IGCP) for IPv6 based networks. There is a growing need for
   a generic control protocol framework that can be further customized
   to specific usage contexts in which certain types of control
   information exchange messages and behavior among some functional
   entities hosted by different nodes is desired. For example, the
   growing area of self-management, self-organization and autonomic
   networking introduces functional entities into the node and network
   architectures that need to exchange control information in order to
   implement self-adaptive behavior and dynamic network configuration
   and optimization. In this document, we capture a number of control
   message exchange types of contexts for which a generic control
   protocol would be desired. The extensibility of ICMPv6 offers the
   room for designing such a generic control protocol. In this document,
   we present our proposal for such a generic control protocol that is
   based on extending ICMPv6, whose message format is divided into two
   parts: a Common Part and a Generic Data Part that can be further
   structured according to some usage context of control messages
   further encapsulated by the Data Part that need to be parsed and used
   by entities meant to interpret the Data Part.  We also give an
   example use case, where functional entities residing in different
   nodes exchange information using the IGCP generic messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chaparadza-6man-igcp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.