Subject: I-D Action:draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:15:03 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts using the "Bump-In-the-Stack" Technique (BIS)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2010-03-08

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Stack" (BIS) host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows applications supporting
only one IP address family to communicate with peers that are
reachable or supporting only the other address family.  Furthermore,
this technology avoids need for unnecessary double protocol
translation in the case where destination is dual-stack enabled.

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack or IPv6 only network connectivity.  In the dual stack network
case, single address family applications in the host will communicate
directly with other hosts reachable with the different address
family.  In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination,
IPv4-originated communications have to be be translated into IPv6.
In the scenario of single address family access network, but dual-
stack destination, network based translation is always avoided.
Technically, the BIS-enabled host resolves both IPv4 and IPv6
addresses of the destination and behaves according to received
responses.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
TSUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI's [RFC2767],
which similarly provides a dual stack host means to communicate with
other IPv6 host using existing IPv4 appliations.The original document
was a product of the NGTRANS working group.

The changes in this document reflect three components

1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2.  Extending ENR and address mapper to operate differently

3.  Adding an alternative way to implement the ENRStatus of this Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
Drafts.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt.

The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

This Internet-Draft will expire on September 8, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the BSD License.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huang-behave-rfc2767bis-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.