Subject: I-D Action:draft-iannone-lisp-mapping-versioning-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 11:00:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : LISP Mapping Versioning
	Author(s)       : L. Iannone, et al.
	Filename        : draft-iannone-lisp-mapping-versioning-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2010-03-08

The present document sketches an optional approach to provide in-
packet information about EID-to-RLOC mappings used to encapsulate
LISP data packets.  The proposed approach is based on associating a
version number to EID-to-RLOC mappings and transport such a version
number in the LISP specific header of LISP-encapsulated packets.
This versioning approach is particularly useful to inform
communicating xTRs about modification of the mappings used to
encapsulate packets.  Modification of mappings could mean adding/
removing an RLOC, or just a modification in the reachability,
priority, or weight of one or more RLOCs.  Each time a mapping is
modified, a new version number is generated and propagated in the
LISP data packet.  The use of version numbers allows to avoid
repeated Map-Request upon mappings change, limits the interaction
between Control and Data planes, improves security, offer support for
caching on Map-Servers, and could be used also in mobile scenarios.

The proposed mechanism is optional and does not need any modification
on the base LISP encapsulation.  Rather, it uses one of the reserved
bits of the LISP specific header and overloads the Locator Status
Bits.  Similarly, no modification are necessary in the base LISP Map-
Reply records.  LISP versioning uses part of the reserved bits.  In
both cases, LISP encapsulation and Map-Reply records, bits used for
LISP versioning can be safely ignored by xTRs that do not support the
mechanism.  Further, mappings can be distributed as usual through
both existing and future mapping distribution system (e.g., ALT).
The infrastructure build by each specific mapping distribution system
does not change anyhow.  Even more, existing mapping distribution
protocol are able to rely LISP control plane packets containing
version numbers and do not need modifications.  All of these features
make LISP versioning a completely transparent optional mechanism with
respect to the LISP base specification.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iannone-lisp-mapping-versioning-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.