Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-iron-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-iron-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-04-28

The Internet routing system is experiencing a growth profile that has
led many to express concerns for unsustainable routing scaling.
Operational practices such as increased use of multihoming with IPv4
Provider-Independent (PI) addressing are resulting in more and more
fine-grained prefixes injected into the routing system from more and
more end user networks.  Furthermore, depletion of the remaining
public IPv4 address space has raised concerns for both increased
deaggregation (leading to yet further routing scaling) and an
impending address space runout scenario.  At the same time, the IPv6
routing system is finally beginning to see significant growth in IPv6
Provider-Aggregated (PA) prefixes but there does not seem to be
solution on the near term horizon for IPv6 PI addressing.  Since the
Internet must continue to support escalating growth due to increasing
demand, it is clear that current mechanisms and operational practices
are reaching a tipping point where something must be done.  This
document proposes an Internet Routing Overlay Network (IRON) for
supporting sustainable growth while requiring no changes to end
systems and no changes to the existing routing system.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-iron-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.