Subject: I-D Action:draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Guidelines for Choosing an RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) for Hosts with Private IP Addresses
	Author(s)       : A. Begen, C. Perkins
	Filename        : draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-00.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2010-04-14

The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a
persistent transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
Synchronisation Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may
change if a collision is detected, or when the RTP application is
restarted, the CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP
endpoints can be uniquely identified and associated with their RTP
media streams.  For proper functionality, CNAMEs should be unique
within the participants of an RTP session.  The recommendations for
choice of the RTCP CNAME provided in RFC 3550 are insufficient to
achieve uniqueness in some environments, particularly private IP
networks.  This memo updates the guidelines in RFC 3550 to allow
endpoints to choose unique CNAMEs in these environments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-begen-avt-rtp-cnames-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.