Subject: I-D Action:draft-reschke-webdav-post-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using POST to add Members to Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) Collections
	Author(s)       : J. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-webdav-post-06.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2010-04-08

The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Extensions for the Web
Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) do not define the
behavior for the "POST" method when applied to collections, as the
base specification (HTTP) leaves implementers lots of freedom for the
semantics of "POST".

This has led to a situation where many WebDAV servers do not
implement POST for collections at all, although it is well suited to
be used for the purpose of adding new members to a collection, where
the server remains in control of the newly assigned URL.  As a matter
of fact, the Atom Publishing Protocol (AtomPub) uses POST exactly for
that purpose.  On the other hand, WebDAV-based protocols such as the
Calendar Extensions to WebDAV (CalDAV) frequently require clients to
pick a unique URL, although the server could easily perform that
task.

This specification defines a discovery mechanism through which
servers can advertise support for POST requests with the
aforementioned "add collection member" semantics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-post-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.