Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Mandatory Features of Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification Implementations
	Author(s)	: V. Manral, N. Del Regno
	Filename	: draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features-01.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2010-4-25
	
Pseudowire Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV) [RFC5085]
   defines several Control Channel (CC) Types for MPLS PW's for Virtual
   Circuit Connectivity Verification, none of which are preferred or
   mandatory.  As a result, independent implementations of different
   subsets of the three options have resulted in interoperability
   challenges.  In the RFC5085 the CV type of LSP Ping is made the
   default for MPLS PW's and ICMP Ping is made optional.  This however,
   is a reccomendation and not a requirement for implementations which
   can lead to interoperability challenges.

   To enable interoperability between implementations, this document
   defines a subset of control channels that is considered mandatory for
   VCCV implementation.  This will ensure that VCCV remains the valuable
   tool it was designed to be in multi-vendor, multi-implementation and
   multi-carrier networks.  This document also states requirements for
   the CV type too.

   This draft is specific to MPLS PW's and not L2TPv3 PW.  For the
   L2TPv3 PW only one CC and CV type are specified and the issues raised
   in this draft do not arise.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.