Subject: I-D Action:draft-ah-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 02:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Uniform Resource Name (URN) Syntax
	Author(s)       : A. Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ah-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2010-05-31

Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
location-independent, resource identifiers.  This document serves as
the foundation of the 'urn' URI Scheme according to RFC 3986 and sets
forward the canonical syntax for URNs, which subdivides URNs into
"namespaces".  A discussion of both existing legacy and new
namespaces and requirements for URN presentation and transmission are
presented.  Finally, there is a discussion of URN equivalence and how
to determine it.  This document supersedes RFC 2141.

The requirements and procedures for URN Namespace registration
documents are currently set forth in RFC 3406, which is also expected
to be updated by an independent, revised specification.

Discussion

This draft version has been obtained by importing the text from RFC
2141 into modern tools and making a first round of updating steps.
It is intended to serve as one of the starting points for an effort
to bring URN RFCs in alignment with STD 63, STD 68, BCP 26, and the
requirements from emerging distributed national and international URN
resolution systems, and advance them on the IETF Standards Track.

Comments are welcome on the [email-masked] mailing list (or sent to the
document editor).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ah-rfc2141bis-urn-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.