Subject: I-D Action:draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 13:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using National Bibliography Numbers as Uniform Resource Names
	Author(s)       : J. Hakala, A. Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2010-05-19

National Bibliography Numbers, NBNs, are widely used by the national
libraries and other organizations in order to identify various
resources such as monographs pre-dating the emergence of the ISBN
system or still images.  As a rule, NBNs are applied to all kinds of
resources that do not have an established identifier system of their
own.

Since 2001, there has been a URN (Uniform Resource Names) namespace
for NBNs, and during 2001-2009 millions of URN-based unique and
persistent NBNs have been assigned.  The namespace registration was
performed in RFC 3188 and applied to the NBNs known at that point.
No URN:NBN resolution services existed at the time when the RFC was
written.  Since then several countries have started using URN:NBNs to
identify electronic resources and to provide persistent links to
them.  To this end, many countries have established URN:NBN
resolution services that supply URN - URL linking.

This document replaces RFC 3188 and defines how NBNs can be supported
within the URN framework.  An updated namespace registration (version
4) is included.

Discussion

This document is an outcome of work performed in 2009-2010 as a part
of the project PersID (http://www.persid.org) revising the basic URN
RFCs, in order to bring them in alignment with the current URI
Standard (STD 63, RFC 3986), ABNF, and IANA guidelines, and to
establish a modern URN resolution system for bibliographic
identifiers.  This work is being brought to the IETF, and the intent
is to establish a "URNbis" (or similar) working group in the
Applications Area as soon as possible, which will then target this
and related work.

Comments are welcome on the [email-masked] or the [email-masked]
mailing list (or sent to the authors).  Interested parties are also
invited to contribute to the WG formation process being discussed on
the former list.Status of This Memo

This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
Task Force (IETF).  Note that other groups may also distribute
working documents as Internet-Drafts.  The list of current Internet-
Drafts is at http://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.

Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

This Internet-Draft will expire on November 20, 2010.

Copyright Notice

Copyright (c) 2010 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
document authors.  All rights reserved.

This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
(http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
publication of this document.  Please review these documents
carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of
the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
described in the Simplified BSD License.

This document may contain material from IETF Documents or IETF
Contributions published or made publicly available before November
10, 2008.  The person(s) controlling the copyright in some of this
material may not have granted the IETF Trust the right to allow
modifications of such material outside the IETF Standards Process.
Without obtaining an adequate license from the person(s) controlling
the copyright in such materials, this document may not be modified
outside the IETF Standards Process, and derivative works of it may
not be created outside the IETF Standards Process, except to format
it for publication as an RFC or to translate it into languages other
than English.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hakala-rfc3188bis-nbn-urn-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.