Subject: I-D Action:draft-lindquist-sip-rtsp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 23:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Controlling Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)-Established Content Delivery Channels Using the Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
	Author(s)       : J. Lindquist, et al.
	Filename        : draft-lindquist-sip-rtsp-01.txt
	Pages           : 48
	Date            : 2010-05-11

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) is widely used for establishing
multimedia sessions, whereas the Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)
is used in streaming media systems.  RTSP has a dual role: it
establishes a media session for the delivery of streaming media as
well as controls the streaming session once it has been set up.
Since SIP is also used for session establishment, there exists an
overlap between the functionality provided by SIP and RTSP.  In this
document, we describe a model adopted by ETSI TISPAN, 3GPP, and Open
IPTV Forum (OIPF) in which SIP and the SDP offer/answer model are
used to set up a streaming session with an RTSP control channel and
one or more media delivery streams.  Such a model is beneficial since
it allows the reuse of current architecture and functionality (e.g.,
authentication, charging, and QoS) established around SIP for RTSP-
based streaming.  The model benefits applications such as Internet
Protocol Television (IPTV).  In addition to the model, the document
specifies two new variants of RTSP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lindquist-sip-rtsp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.