Subject: I-D Action:draft-mbenjamin-afs-file-locking-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 02:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Abstract
	Author(s)       : M. Benjamin
	Filename        : draft-mbenjamin-afs-file-locking-05.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2010-05-13

The AFS-3 protocol supports file locks, but only on whole files, 
only in advisory mode. Efficient support for byte-range file 
locking, together with the stronger semantics with which they are 
associated, are required to improve the suitability of AFS as a 
LAN file-sharing protocol for both Unix and Windows clients. 
Applications on the Windows platform, in particular (e.g., 
Microsoft Office), actually require byte-range locking to 
function correctly. Emulation in the client has alleviated most 
serious problems, albeit, with reduced semantics. We propose 
protocol enhancements facilitating server-coordinated byte-range 
locks, atomic lock up/down-grade support, improved semantics for 
files under byte-range lock control, protocol support for 
wait-on-lock with fairness, and mandatory lock enforcement for 
clients on request. The delegation proposal, included within this 
document in previous drafts, has been split out into a separate 
proposal, based on feedback from reviewers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mbenjamin-afs-file-locking-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.