Subject: I-D Action:draft-thomas-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ospf-lite
	Author(s)       : M. Thomas, U. Essex
	Filename        : draft-thomas-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2010-05-05

This memo documents what needs to be removed and added to OSPF [RFC2328]
to create a working implementation of the experimental protocol ospf-
lite. ospf-lite runs over TCP and UDP ports 8899.

ospf-lite has been designed to provide a simpler version of the OSPF
protocol. A router running ospf-lite requires little configuration.

Many of the Protocol complexities have been removed. Areas are not
implemented and Designated Router functionality has been removed from
the protocol. In almost every case with these removals the protocol is
made more scalable.

ospf-lite will run over non fully meshed NBMA clouds without explicit
configuration.

ospf-lite contains support for External LSA's and opaque LSA's. The
protocol removes the support of LSA's type 2,3,4,5,7 and the DR
function. Promiscuous hellos are introduced and a unified interface link
type replaces existing link types.

This work is intended to keep pace with the vast increases in processor
performance, memory size and link capacity since OSPF was originally
conceived.

Where further details are required the authors refer the reader to [RFC
2328].

Please send comments to [email-masked]

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-thomas-reed-ospf-lite-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.