Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-sinnreich-sip-web-apis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: SIP APIs for Communications on the Web
	Author(s)	: H. Sinnreich, A. Johnston
	Filename	: draft-sinnreich-sip-web-apis-01.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2010-6-21
	
This memo describes a standards based approach to enable web based
   interactive multimedia communications.  The objective is giving web
   developers the software tools to add communication widgets to web
   pages.

   The proposed SIP API does not necessarily require SIP protocol
   expertise by web developers for basic multimedia communications
   though it can be extended to port complex VoIP services to the web.
   The SIP API can also support the transition from network
   infrastructure based VoIP to rich web based communications.

   The benefits of the formal REST architecture of the web are extended
   to real time communications.

   Only two standard application layer protocols are required: HTTP for
   signaling data communications such as in SIP and/or XMPP and UDP for
   real time media transport. We consider replacing SDP with metadata
   about media, displays and user controls.

   RTP data functionality can also be moved to the application itself.
   NAT traversal and other functions are delegated to HIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sinnreich-sip-web-apis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.