Subject: I-D Action:draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:30:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Address Assignment to End Sites
	Author(s)       : T. Narten, et al.
	Filename        : draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-05.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-07-12

RFC 3177 argued that in IPv6, end sites should be assigned /48 blocks
in most cases. The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) adopted that
recommendation in 2002, but began reconsidering the policy in 2005.
This document revisits and updates the RFC 3177 recommendations on
the assignment of IPv6 address space to end sites.  The exact choice
of how much address space to assign end sites is a policy issue under
the purview of the RIRs, subject to IPv6 architectural and
operational considerations. This document reviews the architectural
and operational considerations of end site assignments as well as the
motivations behind the original 3177 recommendations. Moreover, the
document clarifies that a one-size-fits-all recommendation of /48 is
not nuanced enough for the broad range of end sites and is no longer
recommended as a single default.

This document updates and replaces RFC 3177.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.