Subject: I-D Action:draft-klensin-isdbis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:15:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Internet Standards Documentation (ISDs) and Maturity Levels
	Author(s)       : J. Klensin
	Filename        : draft-klensin-isdbis-00.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2010-07-05

The current IETF standard-track maturity level definitions, including
the assumption that most specification of successful protocols would
advance rapidly to Internet Standard, the never-used automatic
expiration mechanism, and the STD nnnn designation, have not worked
well.  Users of IETF Standards have found it difficult to determine
what standards were associated with others in groups, the actual
status of specifications within a related group, and the level of
interoperability testing and deployment and use for any given
standard or set of features.  The community has rarely used the
"requirement level" mechanism in recent years.  There is now an
errata mechanism for published RFCs, but the errata lists do not
provide authoritative, consensus-based, corrections to standards-
track documents.  This document suggests that all of those issues are
symptoms of a single system of interrelated issues and problems and
proposes an integrated solution.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-isdbis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.