Subject: I-D Action:draft-tschofenig-moonshot-ps-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Federated Authentication Beyond The Web: Problem Statement and Requirements
	Author(s)       : H. Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-tschofenig-moonshot-ps-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-07-05

It is quite common that application developers and system architects
are in a need for authentication and authorization support in a
distributed environment.  At least three parties need to cooperate,
namely the end host, the identity provider, and the relying party.
At the end of the exchange the identity provider asserts identity
information or certain attributes to the relying party without
exposing the user's long-term secret to the relying party.

While the problem sounds challenging and interesting but it is not
new.  In fact, various IETF groups have produced specifications to
solve this problem, such as Kerberos, RADIUS, and Diameter.  Outside
the IETF various Single-Sign-On solution for HTTP-based applications
have been developed as well.

The reader might therefore wonder why there is need for new work
given the existence of readily available solutions.  This document
tries to answer this question in a compact fashion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-moonshot-ps-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.