Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-struik-ecc-efficiencies-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Facilitating Speed-ups of Elliptic Curve Based Schemes 
	Author(s)	: R. Struik
	Filename	: draft-struik-ecc-efficiencies-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2010-7-5

   We discuss several methods that can be used to accelerate the 
   verification step of ECC-based signature schemes. These include a 
   40% efficiency improvement of ordinary ECDSA signature verification 
   and even a factor 2.4x efficiency improvement when ECDSA certificate 
   verification is combined with the key computation step in Diffie-
   Hellman-based  protocols,  such  as  static-ECDH  and  ECMQV.  This 
   challenges the conventional wisdom that with ECC-based signature 
   schemes, signature verification is always considerably slower than 
   signature generation and slower than RSA signature verification. 
   Results apply to all prime curves standardized by NIST, the NSA 
   'Suite B' curves, and the so-called Brainpool curves.  

   While the efficiency advantages of these methods are most apparent 
   for a slightly modified version of ECDSA, these can also be enjoyed 
   if the signer appends a small number of bits ("side information") to 
   standardized ECDSA signatures or generates these ECDSA signatures in 
   a particular "fast verification friendly" way. Since the latter can 
   be done as a post-processing operation by any third party, this does 
   not require changes to the standardized specifications of ECDSA (or, 
   e.g., recertification by a Certificate Authority). 

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-struik-ecc-efficiencies-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.