Subject: I-D Action:draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Wide BGP Communities
	Author(s)       : R. Raszuk, H. Gredler
	Filename        : draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2010-07-04

Communicating various routing policies via route tagging plays an
important role in external BGP peering relations.  The most common
tool used today to attach various information about routes is
realized with the use of BGP communities.  Such information is
important for the peering AS to perform some mutually agreed actions
without the need to maintain a separate offline database for each
pair of prefix and an associated with it requested set of action
entries.

The problem arises for customers which are assigned a 4 octet AS
numbers as current definition of BGP communities are of total of 4
octets in length.

This document proposes the solution to this problem by defining new
type of BGP Extended Community attribute which is to be used to pass
routing policy information between peers.  Such new type could be
used to pass existing routing policies which are communicated today
by Internet Service Providers in standard BGP Community Attribute
which have two octet AS numbers as well as those which already got
assigned 4 octet AS numbers from their respected Internet routing
registries.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.