Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 07:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Requirements for MPLS Over a Composite Link
	Author(s)       : C. Villamizar, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2010-07-08

There is often a need to provide large aggregates of bandwidth that
is best provided using parallel links between routers or MPLS LSR.
In core networks there is often no alternative since the aggregate
capacities of core networks today far exceed the capacity of a single
physical link or single packet processing element.  Furthermore,
links may be composed of network elements operating across multiple
layers.

The presence of parallel links, potentially comprised of multiple
layers has resulted in a additional requirements.  Certain services
may benefit from being restricted to a subset of the set of composite
link component links or a specific component link, where component
link characteristics, such as latency, differ.  Certain services
require that LSP be treated as atomic and avoid reordering.  Other
services will continue to require only that reordering not occur with
a microflow as is current practice.

Current practice related to multipath is described briefly in an
appendix.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rtgwg-cl-requirement-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.