Subject: I-D Action:draft-fang-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : MPLS-TP Use Cases Studies and Design Considerations
	Author(s)       : L. Fang, C. Telecom
	Filename        : draft-fang-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2010-07-12

This document provides use case studies and network design 
considerations for Multiprotocol Label Switching Transport Profile 
(MPLS-TP).  
 
In the recent years, MPLS-TP has emerged as the technology of choice 
to meet the needs of transport evolution. Many service providers 
(SPs) intend to replace SONET/SDH, TDM, ATM traditional transport 
technologies with MPLS-TP, to achieve higher efficiency, lower 
operational cost, while maintaining transport characteristics. The 
use cases for MPLS-TP include Mobile backhaul, Metro Ethernet access 
and aggregation, and packet optical transport. The design 
considerations include operational experience, standards compliance, 
technology maturity, end-to-end forwarding and OAM consistency, 
compatibility with IP/MPLS networks, and multi-vendor 
interoperability. The goal is to provide reliable, manageable, and 
scalable transport solutions. 
  
The unified MPLS strategy, using MPLS from core to aggregation and 
access (e.g. IP/MPLS in the core, IP/MPLS or MPLS-TP in aggregation 
and access) appear to be very attractive to many SPs. It streamlines 
the operation, many help to reduce the overall complexity and 
improve end-to-end convergence. It leverages the MPLS experience, 
and enhances the ability to support revenue generating services.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fang-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.