Subject: I-D Action:draft-moncaster-conex-concepts-uses-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ConEx Concepts and Use Cases
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe, et al.
	Filename        : draft-moncaster-conex-concepts-uses-01.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2010-07-12

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are facing problems where localized
congestion prevents full utilization of the path between sender and
receiver at today's "broadband" speeds.  ISPs desire to control this
congestion, which often appears to be caused by a small number of
users consuming a large amount of bandwidth.  Building out more
capacity along all of the path to handle this congestion can be
expensive and may not result in improvements for all users so network
operators have sought other ways to manage congestion.  The current
mechanisms all suffer from difficulty measuring the congestion (as
distinguished from the total traffic).

The ConEx Working Group is designing a mechanism to make congestion
along any path visible at the Internet Layer.  This document
describes example cases where this mechanism would be useful.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moncaster-conex-concepts-uses-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.