Subject: I-D Action:draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 05:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoAP Utilization for Building Control
	Author(s)       : P. Van der Stok, K. Lynn
	Filename        : draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2010-07-11

This I-D describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
building control applications such as HVAC and lighting.  A few basic
design assumptions are stated first.  The URI structure is exploited
to define multicast as well as unicast scopes.  RFC 3986 defines the
URI components as (1) a scheme, (2) an authority, used here to locate
the building, area, or node under control, (3) a path, used here to
locate the resource under control, and (4) a query and fragment part,
where fragments are not supported in CoAP.

This proposal supports the view that (1) building control is likely
to move in steps toward all-IP control networks based on the legacy
efforts provided by DALI, LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,
(2) service discovery is complimentary to resource discovery and
facilitates control network scaling, and (3) the provision of a
reliable group communication protocol is essential to support
building control applications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.