Subject: I-D Action:draft-jennings-dispatch-npa-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Numeric Provider Alias (NPA)
	Author(s)       : C. Jennings
	Filename        : draft-jennings-dispatch-npa-00.txt
	Pages           : 3
	Date            : 2010-07-05

This draft proposes a modification to
draft-lawrence-dispatch-sipforum-provider-alias (PAN).  The PAN draft
proposes a mechanism for a phone to take a short numeric identifier
that identifies a phone service provider and look it up in DNS to
find the address of the configuration server for that service
provider.

The problem with PAN is that it requires a specific organization,
sipforum.org, to become a registrar for the PAN.  This will add
signifiant cost to obtaining them as the expected quantity of PAN is
low.  This draft proposes a minor modification to the PAN draft.
Instead of using the sipforum as a new registrar, why not just use
the registrars that already exist for DNS names.  This ensure a long
term stable unique allocation of PAN with the advantages of not
having the IETF allocating a monopoly to one particular organization.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-dispatch-npa-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.