Subject: I-D Action:draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Verification Involving PSTN Reachability: Requirements and Architecture Overview
	Author(s)       : J. Rosenberg, C. Jennings
	Filename        : draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-03.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2010-07-09

The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) has seen widespread deployment
within individual domains, typically supporting voice and video
communications.  Though it was designed from the outset to support
inter-domain federation over the public Internet, such federation has
not materialized.  The primary reasons for this are the complexities
of inter-domain phone number routing and concerns over security.
This document reviews this problem space, outlines requirements, and
then describes a new model and technique for inter-domain federation
with SIP, called Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (ViPR).
ViPR addresses the problems that have prevented inter-domain
federation over the Internet.  It provides fully distributed inter-
domain routing for phone numbers, authorized mappings from phone
numbers to domains, a new technique for automated VOIP anti-spam, and
privacy of number ownership, all while preserving the trapezoidal
model of SIP.

Legal

This documents and the information contained therein are provided on
an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE
REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE
IETF TRUST AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL
WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY
WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION THEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE
ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-dispatch-vipr-overview-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.