Subject: I-D Action:draft-whittle-ivip-etr-addr-forw-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Ivip4 ETR Address Forwarding
	Author(s)       : R. Whittle
	Filename        : draft-whittle-ivip-etr-addr-forw-01.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2010-07-08

ETR Address Forwarding (EAF) is a novel method by which an IPv4 Core-
Edge Separation solution to the Internet's routing scaling problem
can tunnel packets from an ITR to an ETR.  EAF involves using 31 bits
of the IPv4 header for new purposes: bit 48, the More Fragments flag,
the Fragment Offset field and the Header Checksum field - to carry a
30 bit ETR address.  Consequently, packets in this format need to be
handled by routers with upgraded functionality.  EAF is an
alternative to encapsulation and has advantages including: simpler
ITRs and ETRs, direct support for conventional RFC 1191 PMTUD, no
encapsulation overhead and full compatibility with IPsec AH and
Traceroute.  This I-D also briefly explores an alternative to this
approach: a new header, of the same length and different, with a
different 4 bit Version, to carry 31 bits of ETR address.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whittle-ivip-etr-addr-forw-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.