Subject: I-D Action:draft-hain-ipv6-edit-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Edge Domain Implicit Tunnel (EDIT)
	Author(s)       : T. Hain
	Filename        : draft-hain-ipv6-edit-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-07-10

There will be IPv4-only applications that remain in use as network
managers begin deploying IPv6-only networks, or turning off IPv4 in
the exiting dual-stack networks.  These applications require a dual-
stack capable host operating system, but that OS may find that the
local network has not provided on-link IPv4 provisioning or routing
support for the resulting packets.  Skepticism that this situation
will exist is widespread; because it is easy to ignore the costs
someone else will incur and focus on the local situation.  Taking the
system level viewpoint, that skepticism makes no sense when it is
widely acknowledged that people will resist replacing something that
is working, particularly when the reason it might artificially stop
is due to 'someone else's problem'.  The reality of IPv4-only
applications persisting in an IPv6-only provisioned network is
specifically ignored by RFC 4038.  This document deals with the
situation by defining a new tunneling type for use within the edge or
leaf network to the border where it interconnects with an IPv4
routing domain.

The draft is being discussed on the [email-masked] list.

Legal

This documents and the information contained therein are provided on
an "AS IS" basis and THE CONTRIBUTOR, THE ORGANIZATION HE/SHE
REPRESENTS OR IS SPONSORED BY (IF ANY), THE INTERNET SOCIETY, THE
IETF TRUST AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING TASK FORCE DISCLAIM ALL
WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY
WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION THEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE
ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hain-ipv6-edit-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.