Subject: I-D Action:draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Extensions for Multi-MTU Subnets
	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-03.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-07-12

In the early days of the internet, many different link types with
many different maximum packet sizes were in use.  For point-to-point
or point-to-multipoint links, there are still some other link types
(PPP, ATM, Packet over SONET), but multipoint subnets are now almost
exclusively implemented as ethernets.  Even though the relevant
standards mandate a 1500 byte maximum packet size for ethernet, more
and more ethernet equipment is capable of handling packets bigger
than 1500 bytes.  However, since this capability isn't standardized,
it is seldom used today, despite the potential performance benefits
of using larger packets.  This document specifies mechanisms to
negotiate per-neighbor maximum packet sizes so that nodes on a
multipoint subnet may use the maximum mutually supported packet size
between them without being limited by nodes with smaller maximum
sizes on the same subnet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.