Subject: I-D Action:draft-lha-des-die-die-die-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:30:14 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Kerberos Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Deprecate DES support for Kerberos
	Author(s)       : L. Astrand
	Filename        : draft-lha-des-die-die-die-05.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-07-10

A long long time ago Data Encryption Standard (DES) was standardized.
Some 30 years later (2003) is was withdrawn as a standard by National
Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), today 6 years later,
its time for DES to finally die.  By 2008 it was possible to brute
force DES keys in 6.4 days using less than USD 10k worth of hardware.
So by 2008 DES had passed its sell-by date.  This document updates
RFC1964, RFC4120, and RFC4121 to deprecate the use of DES in
Kerberos.  Because the version of Kerberos specified in RFC1510 only
supports DES and has been replaced by RFC4120, RFC1510 is
reclassified as historic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lha-des-die-die-die-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.