Subject: I-D Action:draft-waehlisch-sam-common-api-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 15:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast
	Author(s)       : M. Waehlisch, et al.
	Filename        : draft-waehlisch-sam-common-api-03.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2010-07-12

Group communication services exist in a large variety of flavors and
technical implementations.  Multicast data distribution is most
efficiently performed on the lowest available layer, but a varying
deployment status of multicast technologies throughout the Internet
restricts service binding to runtime.  Today, it is difficult to
write an application that runs everywhere and at the same time makes
use of the most efficient multicast service available in the network.
Facing robustness requirements, developers are frequently forced to
using a stable, upper layer protocol controlled by the application
itself.  This document describes a common multicast API that is
suitable for transparent communication in underlay and overlay, and
grants access to the different multicast flavors.  It proposes an
abstract naming by multicast URIs and discusses mapping mechanisms
between different namespaces and distribution technologies.
Additionally, it describes the application of this API for building
gateways that interconnect current multicast domains throughout the
Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-waehlisch-sam-common-api-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.