Subject: I-D Action:draft-klensin-std-numbers-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : STD Numbers and the IETF Standards Track
	Author(s)       : J. Klensin
	Filename        : draft-klensin-std-numbers-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2010-08-15

STD numbers are assigned to IETF Standards Track specifications in
order to provide a stable reference even when RFCs are revised and
the underlying documents change.  However, the numbers are only
assigned when the specifications reach Full Standard maturity level,
significantly reducing their utility in the contemporary world in
which few specifications advance to Full, or even Draft, Standard.
For that reason, one recent proposal suggested eliminating the
numbers entirely.  This document argues that stable references for
Standards Track specifications are actually useful and that the
solution is not to abolish the numbers but to change the point at
which they are assigned.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klensin-std-numbers-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.