Subject: I-D Action:draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 07:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : An Encoding Parameter for HTTP Basic Authentication
	Author(s)       : J. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2010-08-11

The "Basic" authentication scheme defined in RFC 2617 does not
properly define how to treat non-ASCII characters.  This has lead to
a situation where user agent implementations disagree, and servers
make different assumptions based on the locales they are running in.
There is little interoperability for characters in the ISO-8859-1
character set, and even less interoperability for any characters
beyond that.

This document defines a backwards-compatible extension to "Basic",
specifying the server's character encoding expectation, using a new
authentication scheme parameter.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.