Subject: I-D Action:draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Unicast Transmission of IPv6 Multicast Messages on Link-layer
	Author(s)       : S. Gundavelli, et al.
	Filename        : draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast-04.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-08-26

When transmitting an IPv6 packet to a multicast group, the
destination address in the link-layer header is typically set to the
corresponding mapped address of the destination address from the IP
header.  However, it is not mandatory that the destination address in
the link-layer header is always a mapped multicast equivalent of its
IP destination address.  There are various deployment scenarios where
there is an opportunity for the sender to transmit the message as an
unicast message on the link-layer.  Unfortunately, the IPv6
specifications do not clearly state this.  This document explicitly
clarifies this point and makes such packet construct and transmission
legal and valid.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.