Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 06:30:03 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Tunnelling of Explicit Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-09.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2010-08-02

This document redefines how the explicit congestion notification
(ECN) field of the IP header should be constructed on entry to and
exit from any IP in IP tunnel.  On encapsulation it updates RFC3168
to bring all IP in IP tunnels (v4 or v6) into line with RFC4301 IPsec
ECN processing.  On decapsulation it updates both RFC3168 and RFC4301
to add new behaviours for previously unused combinations of inner and
outer header.  The new rules ensure the ECN field is correctly
propagated across a tunnel whether it is used to signal one or two
severity levels of congestion, whereas before only one severity level
was supported.  Tunnel endpoints can be updated in any order without
affecting pre-existing uses of the ECN field, thus ensuring backward
compatibility.  Nonetheless, operators wanting to support two
severity levels (e.g. for pre-congestion notification--PCN) can
require compliance with this new specification.  A thorough analysis
of the reasoning for these changes and the implications is included.
In the unlikely event that the new rules do not meet a specific need,
RFC4774 gives guidance on designing alternate ECN semantics and this
document extends that to include tunnelling issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-tunnel-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.