Subject: I-D Action:draft-tkeiser-afs3-volser-tlv-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:15:03 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : AFSVol Tag-Length-Value Remote Procedure Call Extensions
	Author(s)       : T. Keiser, S. Jenkins
	Filename        : draft-tkeiser-afs3-volser-tlv-03.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2010-08-04

AFS-3 is a distributed file system based upon prototypes developed at
Carnegie Mellon University during the 1980s.  AFS-3 heavily leverages
Remote Procedure Calls (RPCs) as the foundation for its distributed
architecture.  In 2003, new RPCs were introduced into AFS-3 that
provide for capability introspection between file servers and cache
managers.  This memo introduces equivalent functionality to the
volume server RPC interface, thus making the volume management
interface more extensible.

Furthermore, this memo extends the volume management interface to
support getting and setting of AFS volume attributes via an
extensible Tag-Length-Value (TLV) encoding, which is based upon XDR
discriminated unions.  TLV-based get and set RPCs are specified,
along with a tag enumeration RPC.  The TLV encoding side-steps the
typical XDR union decode problem, whereby failure to decode a union
leg causes the entire RPC payload decode to fail, by mandating an XDR
opaque default leg for the union, along with a standard mechanism for
encoding new leg types inside the XDR opaque blob.

Finally, tags are allocated for existing volume and transaction
metadata, and implementation-private tags are allocated for metadata
related to the OpenAFS Demand Attach File Server and RxOSD protocol.

Internet Draft Comments

Comments regarding this draft are solicited.  Please include the
AFS-3 protocol standardization mailing list
([email-masked]) as a recipient of any comments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tkeiser-afs3-volser-tlv-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.