Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) 
Design Guidelines
	Author(s)	: G. Lebovitz, M. Bhatia
	Filename	: draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-01.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 2010-9-8
	
In the March of 2006 the IAB held a workshop on the topic of 
      "Unwanted Internet Traffic".  The report from that workshop is 
      documented in RFC 4948 [RFC4948]. Section 8.2 of RFC 4948 calls 
      for [t]ightening the security of the core routing 
      infrastructure."  Four main steps were identified for improving 
      the security of the routing infrastructure.  One of those steps 
      was "securing the routing protocols' packets on the wire."  One 
      mechanism for securing routing protocol packets on the wire is 
      the use of per-packet cryptographic message authentication, 
      providing both peer authentication and message integrity.  Many 
      different routing protocols exist and they employ a range of 
      different transport subsystems.  Therefore there must 
      necessarily be various methods defined for applying 
      cryptographic authentication to these varying protocols.  Many 
      routing protocols already have some method for accomplishing 
      cryptographic message authentication.  However, in many cases 
      the existing methods are dated, vulnerable to attack, and/or 
      employ cryptographic algorithms that have been deprecated.  
      This document is one of a series concerned with defining a 
      roadmap of protocol specification work for the use of modern 
      cryptographic mechanisms and algorithms for message 
      authentication in routing protocols.  In particular, it defines 
      the framework for a key management protocol that may be used to 
      create and manage session keys for message authentication and 
      integrity.  The overall roadmap reflects the input of both the 
      security area and routing area in order to form a jointly 
      agreed upon and prioritized work list for the effort.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-karp-design-guide-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.