Subject: I-D Action:draft-begen-avt-rtp-mpeg2ts-preamble-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : RTP Payload Format for MPEG2-TS Preamble
	Author(s)       : A. Begen, E. Friedrich
	Filename        : draft-begen-avt-rtp-mpeg2ts-preamble-06.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2010-09-27

Demultiplexing and decoding an MPEG2 Transport Stream (MPEG2-TS)
requires the knowledge of specific information about the transport
stream, which we refer to as the MPEG2-TS Preamble.  While this
information is spread over different locations throughout the
transport stream and can be eventually assembled after some time a
receiver started receiving the MPEG2-TS, the time it takes to
retrieve all this information (especially in multicast environments)
may be long.  Instead, having this information readily available as a
Preamble and sending the Preamble to a receiver that will shortly
start receiving the transport stream will virtually eliminate the
waiting time and let the receiver start processing/decoding the
MPEG2-TS sooner.  In this document, we give an overview of the
MPEG2-TS and the delay components in video systems, and motivate the
need for constructing and using the MPEG2-TS Preamble for rapidly
acquiring the source stream in RTP multicast sessions.  We also
define and register the RTP payload format for the MPEG2-TS Preamble.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-begen-avt-rtp-mpeg2ts-preamble-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.