Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Cryptographic Authentication Algorithm Implementation Requirements for Routing Protocols
	Author(s)	: M. Bhatia, V. Manral
	Filename	: draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-01.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 2010-9-27
	
The routing protocols Open Shortest Path First version 2 (OSPFv2), 
Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS) and Routing 
Information Protocol (RIP) currently define Clear Text and MD5 
(Message Digest 5) methods for authenticating protocol packets. 
Recently effort has been made to add support for the SHA (Secure Hash 
Algorithm) family of hash functions for the purpose of authenticating 
routing protocol packets for RIP, IS-IS and OSPF. 
    
To encourage interoperability between disparate implementations, it 
is imperative that we specify the expected minimal set of algorithms 
thereby ensuring that there is at least one algorithm that all 
implementations will have in common.   
    
This document examines the current set of available algorithms with 
interoperability and effective cryptographic authentication 
protection being the principle considerations. Cryptographic 
authentication of these routing protocols requires the availability 
of the same algorithms in disparate implementations. It is desirable 
that newly specified algorithms should be implemented and available 
in routing protocol implementations because they may be promoted to 
requirements at some future time.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.