Subject: I-D Action:draft-frejborg-hipv4-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 01:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Hierarchical IPv4 Framework
	Author(s)       : P. Frejborg
	Filename        : draft-frejborg-hipv4-09.txt
	Pages           : 48
	Date            : 2010-09-16

This document describes a framework how the current IPv4 address
space can be divided in two new address categories; a core address
space (Area Locators, ALOC) that is globally unique and an edge
address space (Endpoint Locators, ELOC) that is regionally unique -
in the future the ELOC space is only significant in a private network
or in a service provider domain, therefore a 32 x 32 bit addressing
scheme is possible. The core/edge address grouping will enable a new
level of hierarchy in the routing architecture of Internet. The
hierarchical IPv4 framework is backwards compatible with the current
IPv4 framework; it will also discuss a method to decouple the
location and identifier functions, future applications can make use
of the separation. The framework requires extensions to the existing
Domain Name System, the existing IPv4 stack of the endpoints,
security nodes and to routers in the Internet. The framework can be
implemented incrementally to endpoints, DNS, security nodes and
routers. This document is a product within the IRTF Routing Research
Group. The views in this document are considered controversial by the
IRTF Routing Research Group (RRG) but the group reached a consensus
that the document should still be published.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-frejborg-hipv4-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.