Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-dong-idr-vpn-route-constrain-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Constrained Route Distribution for BGP based Virtual Private Networks(VPNs)
	Author(s)	: Z. Li, J. Dong, H. Ni, M. Chen, G. Liu
	Filename	: draft-dong-idr-vpn-route-constrain-02.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2010-9-27
	
There are some problems with current RT-Constrain mechanism defined 
in RFC 4684. Firstly, the IPv6 address specific Route Target defined 
in [RFC5701] cannot be accommodated in current RT membership NLRI. 
Secondly, the distribution of RT-Constrain information cannot build 
correct VPN distribution graph when hierarchical route reflection (RR) 
is  used.  Thirdly,  current  RT-Constrain  mechanism  is  used  for 
filtering of all kinds of VPN services and can result in imprecise 
VPN route distribution when multiple VPN services are deployed in the 
network. 

This document describes the above problems in detail and proposes 
solutions for these problems. A generalized RT-Constrain mechanism is 
defined to accommodate the IPv6 address specific Route Target and to 
precisely control propagation of different kinds of VPN routing 
information. The proposed solution avoids unnecessary advertising and 
receiving of VPN routes when multiple VPN services are deployed. This 
document also proposes modifications of advertisement rules of RT-
Constrain information to ensure the integrity of VPN distribution 
graph.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dong-idr-vpn-route-constrain-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.