Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The WebSocket protocol
	Author(s)       : I. Fette
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt
	Pages           : 57
	Date            : 2010-09-01

The WebSocket protocol enables two-way communication between a user
agent running untrusted code running in a controlled environment to a
remote host that has opted-in to communications from that code.  The
security model used for this is the Origin-based security model
commonly used by Web browsers.  The protocol consists of an initial
handshake followed by basic message framing, layered over TCP.  The
goal of this technology is to provide a mechanism for browser-based
applications that need two-way communication with servers that does
not rely on opening multiple HTTP connections (e.g. using
XMLHttpRequest or <iframe>s and long polling).

Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.Note

This draft is meant to reflect changes in direction in the HyBi
working group.  There is not yet consensus on everything in this
draft.  Specifically, details about the framing are still under
discussion, however this draft is much closer to what the group is
discussing than the previous draft.  There have also been proposals
to change the handshake, so the handshake is also not in a final
form.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.