Subject: I-D Action:draft-penno-alto-cdn-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 16:00:03 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ALTO and Content Delivery Networks
	Author(s)       : R. Penno, et al.
	Filename        : draft-penno-alto-cdn-02.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2010-10-25

Networking applications can request through the ALTO protocol
information about the underlying network topology from the ISP or
Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.  In
other words, information about what a Provider prefers in terms of
traffic optimization -- and a way to distribute it.  The ALTO Service
provides information such as preferences of network resources with
the goal of modifying network resource consumption patterns while
maintaining or improving application performance.

One of the main use cases of the ALTO Service is its integration with
Content Delivery Networks (CDN).  The purpose of this draft is
twofold: first, to describe how ALTO can be used in existing and new
CDNs, both within an ISP and in separate organizational entities from
the ISP; second, to collect requirements for ALTO usage in CDNs and
to provide recommendations into the development of the ALTO protocol
for better support of CDNs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-penno-alto-cdn-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.