Subject: I-D Action:draft-wu-avt-retransmission-supression-rtp-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 21:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : RTCP Report Extension for Feedback Suppression
	Author(s)       : W. Wu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-wu-avt-retransmission-supression-rtp-05.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2010-10-19

When packet loss close to the media source or intermediary of the
session is detected as a loss by a large number of receivers, large
number of feedback requests used to ask for the lost RTP packets are
all addressed to the same media source, or a designated feedback
target.  This may result in a phenomenon known variously as a
"feedback storm " or "feedback implosion ".

This document specifies an extension to the RTCP feedback messages
defined in the Audio-Visual Profile with Feedback (AVPF).  This
extension allows an intermediate node in the network (such as an RTP
translator) inform downstream receivers that packet loss was detected
and sending a feedback message concerning a specified set of RTP
packets may be unnecessary, or even harmful.  Receivers respond to
receipt of a feedback suppression message by not sending a feedback
message (e.g. a NACK) that they otherwise would, This in turn reduces
load on both the feedback target and on the network.  The proposed
extension is useful for single-source multicast sessions.  In
addition, it can be applied to any other types of RTP sessions and
topologies that might benefit from feedback suppression mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wu-avt-retransmission-supression-rtp-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.