Subject: I-D Action:draft-malc-armd-moose-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Addressing the Scalability of Ethernet with MOOSE
	Author(s)       : M. Scott, et al.
	Filename        : draft-malc-armd-moose-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2010-10-18

Ethernet does not scale well to large networks.  The flat MAC address
space, whilst having obvious benefits for the user and administrator,
is the primary cause of this poor scalability; other recent efforts
to improve upon Ethernet's scalability have addressed symptoms,
rather than this underlying cause.  MOOSE, Multi-level Origin-
Organised Scalable Ethernet, is an Ethernet switch architecture that
performs in-place rewriting of MAC addresses in order to impose a
hierarchy upon the address space without reconfiguration or
modification of connected devices.  This removes the need for
switches to maintain large forwarding databases, is of direct use in
implementing improved routing, and allows for a variety of other
scalability and security innovations.  MOOSE also includes a
globally-scalable, distributed and resilient protocol for the
automatic assignment of addresses to switches, and for detecting and
cheaply resolving addressing conflicts.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malc-armd-moose-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.