Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-dns-applications-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Architectural Considerations on Application Features in the DNS
	Author(s)	: O. Kolkman, J. Peterson, H. Tschofenig, B. Aboba
	Filename	: draft-iab-dns-applications-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2010-10-18
	
While the principal purpose of the Domain Name System (DNS) is to
   translate Internet domain names to IP addresses, over time a number
   of Internet applications have integrated supplemental features into
   the DNS to support their operations.  Many of these features assist
   in locating the appropriate service in a domain, or in transforming
   intermediary identifiers into names that the DNS can process.
   Proposals to piggyback more sophisticated application behavior on top
   of the DNS, however, have raised questions about the propriety of
   instantiating some features in the DNS, especially those with
   security sensitivities.  This document explores the architectural
   consequences of installing application features in the DNS, and
   provides guidance for future work in this area.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-dns-applications-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.