Subject: I-D Action:draft-vanderstok-core-bc-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 07:00:10 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoAP Utilization for Building Control
	Author(s)       : P. Van der Stok, K. Lynn
	Filename        : draft-vanderstok-core-bc-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2010-10-25

This draft describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
building automation and control (BAC) applications such as HVAC and
lighting.  A few basic design assumptions are stated first, then URI
structure is utilized to define group as well as unicast scope for
RESTful operations.  RFC 3986 defines the URI components as (1) a
scheme, (2) an authority, used here to locate the building, area, or
node under control, (3) a path, used here to locate the resource
under control, and (4) a query part (fragments are not supported in
CoAP.)  Next, it is shown that DNS can be used to locate URIs on the
scale necessary in large commercial BAC deployments.  Finally, a
method is proposed for mapping URIs onto legacy BAC resources, e.g.,
to facilitate application-layer gateways.

This proposal supports the view that (1) building control is likely
to move in steps toward all-IP control networks based on the legacy
efforts provided by DALI, LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,
and (2) service discovery is complimentary to resource discovery and
facilitates control network scaling.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.