Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 01:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Resource Identifiers Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs)
	Author(s)       : M. Duerst, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-03.txt
	Pages           : 56
	Date            : 2010-10-25

This document defines the Internationalized Resource Identifier (IRI)
protocol element, as an extension of the Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI).  An IRI is a sequence of characters from the Universal
Character Set (Unicode/ISO 10646).  Grammar and processing rules are
given for IRIs and related syntactic forms.

In addition, this document provides named additional rule sets for
processing otherwise invalid IRIs, in a way that supports other
specifications that wish to mandate common behavior for 'error'
handling.  In particular, rules used in some XML languages (LEIRI)
and web applications are given.

Defining IRI as new protocol element (rather than updating or
extending the definition of URI) allows independent orderly
transitions: other protocols and languages that use URIs must
explicitly choose to allow IRIs.

Guidelines are provided for the use and deployment of IRIs and
related protocol elements when revising protocols, formats, and
software components that currently deal only with URIs.

RFC Editor: Please remove the next paragraph before publication.

This document is intended to update RFC 3987 and move towards IETF
Draft Standard.  For discussion and comments on this draft, please
join the IETF IRI WG by subscribing to the mailing list
[email-masked].  For a list of open issues, please see the issue
tracker of the WG at http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/iri/trac/report/1.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.