Subject: I-D Action:draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 17:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multicast DNS
	Author(s)       : S. Cheshire, M. Krochmal
	Filename        : draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-12.txt
	Pages           : 67
	Date            : 2010-10-25

As networked devices become smaller, more portable, and more
ubiquitous, the ability to operate with less configured
infrastructure is increasingly important. In particular, the ability
to look up DNS resource record data types (including, but not limited
to, host names) in the absence of a conventional managed DNS server
can be useful.

Multicast DNS (mDNS) provides the ability to perform DNS-like
operations on the local link in the absence of any conventional
unicast DNS server. In addition, mDNS designates a portion of the DNS
namespace to be free for local use, without the need to pay any
annual fee, and without the need to set up delegations or otherwise
configure a conventional DNS server to answer for those names.

The primary benefits of mDNS names are that (i) they require little
or no administration or configuration to set them up, (ii) they work
when no infrastructure is present, and (iii) they work during
infrastructure failures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.