Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 19:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition
	Author(s)       : S. Jiang, D. Guo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-02.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-10-10

Global IPv6 deployment was slower than originally expected. As IPv4 
address exhaustion approaches, the IPv4 to IPv6 transition issues 
become more critical and less tractable. Host-based transition 

 mechanisms used in dual stack environments are not able to meet the 
transition requirements. Most end users are not sufficiently expert 
to configure or maintain host-based transition mechanisms. Carrier-
Grade NAT (CGN) devices with integrated transition mechanisms can 
reduce the operational change required during the IPv4 to IPv6 
migration or coexistence period. 

This document proposes an incremental CGN approach for IPv6 
transition. It can provide IPv6 access services for IPv6-enabled 
hosts and IPv4 access services for IPv4 hosts while leaving much of a 
legacy IPv4 ISP network unchanged. It is suitable for the initial 
stage of IPv4 to IPv6 migration. Unlike NAT444 based CGN alone, 
Incremental CGN also supports and encourages transition towards dual-
stack or IPv6-only ISP networks. A smooth transition to IPv6 
deployment is also described in this document. 

An integrated configurable CGN device and an adaptive Home Gateway 
(HG) device are introduced. Both HG and CGN are re-usable devices 
during different transition periods. It avoids potential multiple 
upgrades. It enables IPv6 migration to be incrementally achieved 
according to the real user requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.