Subject: I-D Action:draft-lee-network-stratum-query-problem-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : October 13, 2010 Problem Statement for Network Stratum Query
	Author(s)       : G. Bernstein
	Filename        : draft-lee-network-stratum-query-problem-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2010-10-13

This document describes the general problem of network stratum query 
for application optimization. Network Stratum query is an ability to 
query the network from an application controller such as those used 
in Data Centers so that application controller decisions such as 
server assignment or virtual machine instantiation/migration could be 
performed with better knowledge of the underlying network conditions.  

As application servers are distributed geographically across Data 
Centers, many application-related decisions such as which server to 
assign a new client or where to instantiate/migrate virtual machines 
will suffer from sub-optimality unless the underlying network 
conditions are factored in the decision process. The lack of network 
awareness may result in not meeting the end-user service objective 
for some key applications like video gaming/conferencing that require 
stringent latency and bandwidth requirement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-network-stratum-query-problem-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.