Subject: I-D Action:draft-barnes-ecrit-policy-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Policy Considerations for Emergency Calling using Voice over IP
	Author(s)       : R. Barnes, et al.
	Filename        : draft-barnes-ecrit-policy-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2010-10-18

The provision of emergency calling services (e.g., 911, 112) has been
a critical component in the regulation of telecommunications
networks.  The technical architectures used by modern Voice-over-IP
(VoIP) systems mean that if telecommunications regulators wish to
extend emergency calling requirements to VoIP, it will likely be
necessary to reconsider the ways in which such requirements are
applied, both in terms of what specific mandates are imposed and
which entities are subject to them.  This document dicusses the
fundamental technical requirements for emergency services, how these
requirements can be met within the framework of VoIP, and how these
solutions approaches create possibilities and limitations for
regulatory involvement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barnes-ecrit-policy-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.