Subject: I-D Action:draft-wu-avt-retransmission-supression-rtp-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 21:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : RTCP Report Extension for Feedback Suppression
	Author(s)       : W. Wu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-wu-avt-retransmission-supression-rtp-03.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2010-10-08

This document specifies an extension to the RTCP feedback messages
defined in the Audio-Visual Profile with Feedback (AVPF).  This
extension allows an intermediate node in the network (such as an RTP
translator) inform downstream receivers that sending a feedback
message concerning a specified set of RTP messages may be
unnecessary, or even harmful.  For example, in a source-specific
multicast session with large fan-out, packet loss close to the media
or distribution source of the session is detected as a loss by a
large number of receivers.  The RTCP NACK messages used to request
retransmission of the missing packets are all addressed to the media
sender, or a designated feedback target.  This may result in a
phenomenon known variously as a "NACK implosion" or "feedback storm".
The Feedback Suppression message defined herein is used to notify
receivers that packet loss was detected and that the sender of the
report will either proactively recover, or no recovery is possible.
Receivers respond to receipt of a feedback suppression message by not
sending a feedback message (e.g. a NACK) that they otherwise would,
This in turn reduces load on both the feedback target and on the
network.  This document registers two new RTCP messages for Feedback
Suppression.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wu-avt-retransmission-supression-rtp-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.