Subject: I-D Action:draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 05:00:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Secure naming structure and p2p application interaction
	Author(s)       : C. Dannewitz, et al.
	Filename        : draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-10-22

Today, each P2P system typically uses its own way to identify data.
The lack of a common naming scheme prevents P2P applications from
benefiting from available copies of the same data distributed via
different P2P system.  In addition, today's P2P naming schemes lack
important security aspects that would allow the user to check the
data integrity and build trust in data and data publishers.  This is
especially important in P2P applications as data is received from
untrusted peers.  Providing a generic naming scheme for P2P systems
so that multiple P2P systems can use the same data regardless of data
location and P2P system increases the efficiency and data
availability of the overall data dissemination process.  The proposed
secure naming structure provides a potential way to address these
challenges with a common naming structure that is flexible enough to
support all different needs.  In addition, the secure naming scheme
is providing self-certification such that the receiver can verify the
data integrity, i.e., that the correct data has been received,
without requiring a trusted third party.  It also enables owner
authentication to build up trust in (potentially anonymous) data
publishers.  The secure naming structure should be beneficial as
potential design principle in defining the two protocols identified
as objectives in the PPSP charter.  This document enumerates a number
of design considerations to impact the design and implementation of
the tracker-peer signaling and peer-peer streaming signaling
protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.