Subject: I-D Action:draft-yang-avt-switch-multicast-short-timeshift-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 01:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Switching from unicast to multicast for multicast short time-shift
	Author(s)       : P. Yang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-yang-avt-switch-multicast-short-timeshift-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2010-10-18

When a client requests a time-shift service for a multicast session
using RTP for media transport, like pause, instant replay, slow-
motion video, frame-by-frame viewing, rewind, fast-forward, etc., it
needs to switch from multicast session to unicast session.  This
unicast session will always serve for the time-shift service unless
the client manually switches back to the multicast session.  Actually
a time- shift request may happens for all clients.  That is,
multicast session stream will be replaced by many unicast time-shift
streams having significant impact on network bandwidth usage.

In this document, we describe a method using existing RTP and RTCP
protocol infrastructure that switches back to multicast session from
unicast session of time-shift.  In this method, a burst RTP flow
which is a little faster than the primary multicast rate may be
transmitted so that unicast session may catch up and switch back to
multicast session.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yang-avt-switch-multicast-short-timeshift-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.