Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:30:04 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Behavior Engineering for Hindrance Avoidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Dual Stack Hosts Using "Bump-in-the-Host" (BIH)
	Author(s)       : B. Huang, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2010-10-11

This document describes the "Bump-In-the-Host" (BIH), a host based
protocol translation mechanism that allows a subset of applications
supporting only one IP address family to communicate with peers that
are reachable or supporting only the other address family.

This specification addresses scenarios where a host is provided dual
stack or IPv6 only network connectivity.  In the dual stack network
case, single address family applications in the host sometime will
communicate directly with other hosts using the different address
family.  In the case of IPv6 only network or IPv6 only destination,
IPv4 originated communications have to be translated into IPv6.  The
BIH makes the IPv4 applications think they talk to IPv4 peers and
hence hides the IPv6 from those applications.

Acknowledgement of previous work

This document is an update to and directly derivative from Kazuaki
TSHUCHIYA, Hidemitsu HIGUCHI, and Yoshifumi ATARASHI [RFC2767] and
from Seungyun Lee, Myung-Ki Shin, Yong-Jin Kim, Alain Durand, and
Erik Nordmark's [RFC3338], which similarly provides a dual stack host
means to communicate with other IPv6 host using existing IPv4
appliations.  This document combines and updates both [RFC2767] and
[RFC3338].

The changes in this document reflect five components

1.  Supporting IPv6 only network connections

2.  IPv4 address pool use private address instead of the

unassigned IPv4 addresses (0.0.0.1 - 0.0.0.255)

3.  Extending ENR and address mapper to operate differently

4.  Adding an alternative way to implement the ENR

5.  Going for standards track instead of experimental/

informational

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-behave-v4v6-bih-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.