Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Summary of Cryptographic Authentication Algorithm Implementation Requirements for Routing Protocols
	Author(s)       : M. Bhatia, V. Manral
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-04.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2010-10-11

The routing protocols Open Shortest Path First version 2 (OSPFv2),
Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS) and Routing
Information Protocol (RIP) currently define cleartext and MD5
(Message Digest 5) methods for authenticating protocol packets.
Recently effort has been made to add support for the SHA (Secure Hash
Algorithm) family of hash functions for the purpose of authenticating
routing protocol packets for RIP, IS-IS and OSPF.

To encourage interoperability between disparate implementations, it
is imperative that we specify the expected minimal set of algorithms
thereby ensuring that there is at least one algorithm that all
implementations will have in common.

Similarly RIPng and OSPFv3 support IPSec algorithms for
authenticating their protocol packets.

This document examines the current set of available algorithms with
interoperability and effective cryptographic authentication
protection being the principle considerations.  Cryptographic
authentication of these routing protocols requires the availability
of the same algorithms in disparate implementations.  It is desirable
that newly specified algorithms should be implemented and available
in routing protocol implementations because they may be promoted to
requirements at some future time.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsec-igp-crypto-requirements-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.