Subject: I-D Action:draft-despres-softwire-4rd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv4 Residual Deployment across IPv6-Service networks (4rd) A NAT-less solution
	Author(s)       : R. Despres
	Filename        : draft-despres-softwire-4rd-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2010-10-18

During the long transition period from IPv4-only to IPv6-only,
networks will have not only to deploy the IPv6 service but also to
maintain some IPv4 connectivity for a number of customers, and this
for both outgoing and incoming connections and for both customer-
individual and shared IPv4 addresses.  The 4rd solution (IPv4
Residual Deployment) is designed as a lightweight solution for this.
It applies not only to ISPs have IPv6-only routing networks, but also
to those that, during early transition stages, have IPv4-only
routing, with 6rd to offer the IPv6 service, those that have dual-
stack routing networks but with private IPv4 addresses assigned to
customers.

In some scenarios, 4rd can dispense ISPs from supporting any NAT in
their infrastructures.  In some others it can be used in parallel
with NAT-based solutions such as DS-lite and/or NAT64/DNS4 which
achieve better IPv4-address sharing ratios (but at a price of
significantly higher operational complexity).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-despres-softwire-4rd-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.