Subject: I-D Action:draft-dizhou-pim-umf-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 03:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Unnecessary Multicast Flooding Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : D. Zhou, et al.
	Filename        : draft-dizhou-pim-umf-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2010-10-19

This document describes the unnecessary multicast stream flooding
problem in the link layer switches between multicast source and PIM
First Hop Router (FHR).  The IGMP-Snooping Switch will forward
multicast streams to router ports, and the PIM FHR must receive all
multicast streams even if there is no request from receiver.  This
often leads to waste of switchs' cache and link bandwidth when the
multicast streams are not actually required.  This document details
the problem and defines design goals for a generic mechanism to
restrain the unnecessary multicast stream flooding.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dizhou-pim-umf-problem-statement-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.