Subject: I-D Action:draft-keyur-bgp-af-specific-rt-constrain-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 08:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : AFI Specific Route Target Distribution
	Author(s)       : K. Patel, et al.
	Filename        : draft-keyur-bgp-af-specific-rt-constrain-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2010-10-18

The current route target distribution specification described in
RFC4684 defines Route Target NLRIs of maxiumum length of 12 bytes.
Furthermore, the current specification mandates that Route Targets
exchanged using the current specification are applied towards
filtering for all VPN applications that uses the notion of Route
Target BGP extended communities.

In particular, the same Route Target distribution mechanism is used
to exchange VPNv4, VPNv6 and L2VPN prefixes.  The IPv6 specific Route
Target extended community is defined in RFC5701 as length of 20
bytes.  Since the current specification only supports prefixes of
maximum length of 12 bytes, the lack of an IPv6 specific Route Target
reachability information may be a problem when an operator wants to
use this application in a pure IPv6 environment.  This document
defines an extension to the current constrained route distribution
specification that allows BGP speakers to distribute Route Target
prefixes using multiple different Address Families thereby limiting
the application of Route Target prefix filters to the specific
address family under which it is advertised.  Furtheremore, this
document defines an extension that allows BGP to exchange longer
length IPv6 Route Target prefixes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-keyur-bgp-af-specific-rt-constrain-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.