Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:30:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Stringprep Revision Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : M. Blanchet, A. Sullivan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2010-10-18

Using Unicode codepoints in protocol strings that expect comparison
with other strings [[anchor1: The WG will need to decide whether
"other strings" is too broad.  In particular, what about protocol
slots that can take strings other than plain ASCII?
[email-masked]]] requires preparation of the string that contains
the Unicode codepoints.  Internationalizing Domain Names in
Applications (IDNA2003) defined and used Stringprep and Nameprep.
Other protocols subsequently defined Stringprep profiles.  A new
approach different from Stringprep and Nameprep is used for a
revision of IDNA2003 (called IDNA2008).  Other Stringprep profiles
need to be similarly updated or a replacement of Stringprep need to
be designed.  This document outlines the issues to be faced by those
designing a Stringprep replacement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.