Subject: I-D Action:draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:00:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Synchronized Playback in Rapid Acquisition of Multicast Sessions
	Author(s)       : P. Yang, Y. Wang
	Filename        : draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-05.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-10-21

When watching the same IPTV channel, different TV sets may not render
the same picture and the associated audio at the same moment.  The
variation in end-to-end delay that resulted in such asynchronous
playback between users is referred to as inter-user playback delay.
Unicast based rapid acquisition of multicast RTP sessions (RAMS) as
specified in [I-D.ietf-avt-rapid-acquisition-for-rtp] is an important
technique in achieving fast channel switching in IPTV as well as
other multicast applications.  In addition, RAMS also significantly
relaxes the requirement of relatively short random access point
period in encoding of video streams in multicast applications, thus
allowing significantly improved compression efficiency.  However, on
the other hand, the use of RAMS increases inter-user playback delay,
which makes users receiving the same multicast session playback the
same content asynchronously.  This document specifies a mechanism to
help reduce inter-user playback delay caused by the use of RAMS.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.