Subject: I-D Action:draft-chan-distributed-mobility-ps-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 15:30:17 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Problem statement for distributed and dynamic mobility management
	Author(s)       : A. Chan, et al.
	Filename        : draft-chan-distributed-mobility-ps-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2010-10-18

Mobility solutions deployed with centralized mobility anchoring in
existing hierarchical mobile networks are more prone to the following
problems or limitations compared with distributed and dynamic
mobility management: (1) Routing via a centralized anchor is often
longer, so that those mobility protocol deployments that lack
optimization extensions results in non-optimal routes, affecting
performance; whereas routing optimization may be an integral part of
a distributed design. (2) As mobile network becomes more flattened
centralized mobility management can become more non-optimal,
especially as the content servers in a content delivery network (CDN)
are moving closer to the access network; in contrast, distributed
mobility management can support both hierarchical network and more
flattened network as it also supports CDN networks. (3) Centralized
route maintenance and context maintenance for a large number of
mobile hosts is more difficult to scale. (4) Scalability may worsen
when lacking mechanism to distinguish whether there are real need for
mobility support; dynamic mobility management, i.e., to selectively
provide mobility support, is needed and may be better implemented
with distributed mobility management. (5) Deployment is complicated
with numerous variants and extensions of mobile IP; these variants
and extensions may be better integrated in a distributed and dynamic
design which can selectively adapt to the needs. (6) Excessive
signaling overhead should be avoided when end nodes are able to
communicate end-to-end; capability to selectively turn off signaling
that are not needed by the end hosts will reduce the handover delay.
(7) Centralized approach is generally more vulnerable to a single
point of failure and attack often requiring duplication and backups,
whereas a distributed approach intrinsically mitigates the problem to
a local network so that the needed protection can be simpler.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chan-distributed-mobility-ps-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.