Subject: I-D Action:draft-morton-bmwg-imix-genome-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional testing
	Author(s)       : A. Morton
	Filename        : draft-morton-bmwg-imix-genome-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2010-10-06

Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
device capability has been tested.  Constant packets sizes differ
significantly from the conditions encountered in operational
deployment, and so additional tests are sometimes conducted with a
mixture of packet sizes, or "IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a
networking device will encounter is highly variable and depends on
many factors.  An IMIX suited for one networking device and
deployment will not be appropriate for another.  However, the mix of
sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to augment the fixed
size tests.  To address this need, and the additional goal of
repeatable test conditions, this draft proposes a way to specify the
exact repeating sequence of packet sizes from the usual set of fixed
sizes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morton-bmwg-imix-genome-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.