Subject: I-D Action:draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Mandatory Features of Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification Implementations
	Author(s)       : N. Del Regno, et al.
	Filename        : draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2010-10-15

Pseudowire Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV) [RFC5085]
defines several Control Channel (CC) Types for MPLS PW's , none of
which are preferred or mandatory.  As a result, independent
implementations of different subsets of the three options have
resulted in interoperability challenges.  In RFC5085 the CV type of
LSP Ping is made the default for MPLS PW's and ICMP Ping is made
optional.  This however, is a recommendation and not a requirement
for implementations which can also lead to interoperability
challenges.

To enable interoperability between implementations, this document
defines a subset of control channels that is considered mandatory for
VCCV implementation.  This will ensure that VCCV remains the valuable
tool it was designed to be in multi-vendor, multi-implementation and
multi-carrier networks.  This document also states requirements for
the CV type too.

This draft is specific to MPLS PW's and not L2TPv3 PW.  For the
L2TPv3 PW only one CC and CV type are specified and the issues raised
in this draft do not arise.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-delregno-pwe3-vccv-mandatory-features-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.