Subject: I-D Action:draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 05:15:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Considerations for Information Services and Operator Services Using SIP
	Author(s)       : J. Haluska, et al.
	Filename        : draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-10.txt
	Pages           : 112
	Date            : 2010-11-09

Information Services are services whereby information is provided in 
response to user requests, and may include involvement of a human or 
automated agent. A popular existing Information Service is Directory 
Assistance (DA). Moving ahead, Information Services providers 
envision exciting multimedia services that support simultaneous 
voice and data interactions with full operator backup at any time 
during the call. Information Services providers are planning to 
migrate to SIP based platforms, which will enable such advanced 
services, while continuing to support traditional DA services.  

Operator Services are traditional PSTN services which often involve 
providing human or automated assistance to a caller, and often 
require the specialized capabilities traditionally provided by an 
operator services switch. Market and/or regulatory factors in some 
jurisdictions dictate that some subset of Operator Services continue 
to be provided going forward.  

This document aims to identify how Operator and Information Services 
can be implemented using existing or currently proposed SIP 
mechanisms, to identity existing protocol gaps, and to provide a set 
of Best Current Practices to facilitate interoperability. For 
Operator Services, the intention is to describe how current operator 
services can continue to be provided to PSTN based subscribers via a 
SIP based operator services architecture. It also looks at how 
current operator services might be provided to SIP based subscribers 
 
 via such an architecture, but does not consider the larger question 
of the need for or usefulness or suitability of each of these 
services for SIP based subscribers. 

This document addresses the needs of current Operator and 
Information Services providers; as such, the intended audience 
includes vendors of equipment and services to such providers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.