Subject: I-D Action:draft-hoffman-dns-last-hop-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 18:00:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Wrapping Last-Hop DNS for Traffic Protection
	Author(s)       : P. Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-dns-last-hop-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-12-08

DNS queries from one resolver to an upstream resolver are often run
over connections with no protection of any kind.  The stub resolvers
that initiate queries for an application are ofte called "last-hop",
and their queries go to trusted recursive resolvers.  The connection
between last-hop resolvers and their upstream resolver is currently
susceptible to both malicious and unintentional alteration that
prevents the querying resolver from being sure that the results it
receives are valid.  Some middleboxes can prevent a stub resolver,
even one that does DNSSEC validation, from getting enough information
to validate a response.  Further, a non-validating stub resolver is
susceptible to active attacks in which the results are purposely
altered.

The protocol described in this document provides a method to avoid
these problems and thus make resolution significantly more secure.
This protocol can be used between any two DNS resolvers, but the
focus of this document is on last-hop resolvers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-dns-last-hop-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.