Subject: I-D Action:draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 07:15:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Simple Method for Segmenting Multicast Tunnels for Multicast VPNs
	Author(s)       : M. Napierala, et al.
	Filename        : draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-01-24

To provide Multicast VPN (MVPN) Service, Service Providers (SPs) need
to instantiate multicast tunnels (known as "P-tunnels") that enable
the Provider Edge (PE) routers of a given VPN to transmit multicast
packets to each other.  Some SPs organize their networks in a
hierarchical manner, with the PE routers in "edge areas", and the
edge areas connected to each other via a "core area".  Although the
edge areas and the core area may be in the same Autonomous System,
the Border Routers of the core area use BGP to exchange routes to the
PE routers.  A P-tunnel that connects PE routers in different edge
areas can be thought of as having three segments: a segment through
one edge area, a segment through the core area, and a segment through
the second edge area.  It is desirable to preserve the independence
of the core area by allowing it to use a different tunneling
technology than that used in the edge areas.  However, it is not
desirable for a Border Router to participate specifically in the MVPN
signaling, or even to have any knowledge of which MVPNs are in the
edge areas that attach to it.  This document specifies a simple
method for segmenting MVPN P-tunnels at the BRs, subject to these
constraints.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.