Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:00:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm Specification for IP/MPLS Networks

	Author(s)	: G. Ash, D. McDysan
	Filename	: draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2010-1-10
	
   This document presents a generic connection admission control (GCAC)
   reference model and algorithm for IP/MPLS-based networks.  Service
   provider (SP) IP/MPLS networks need an MPLS GCAC mechanism, for
   example, to reject voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calls when
   additional calls would adversely affect calls already in progress.

   Without MPLS GCAC, connections on congested links will suffer
   degraded quality.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm can be optionally
   implemented in vendor equipment and deployed by service providers.
   MPLS GCAC interoperates between vendor equipment and across multiple
   service provider domains.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm uses available
   standard mechanisms for MPLS based networks, such as RSVP, DSTE, PCE,
   NSIS, DiffServ, and OSPF.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm does not include
   aspects of CAC that might be considered vendor proprietary
   implementations, such as detailed path selection mechanisms.  MPLS
   GCAC functions are implemented in a distributed manner to deliver the
   objective QoS for specified QoS constraints.  The source is able to
   compute a source route with high likelihood that MPLS GCAC via
   elements along the selected path will in fact admit the request.
   MPLS GCAC is applicable to any service or flow that must meet an
   objective QoS (delay, jitter, packet loss rate) for a specified
   quantity of traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.