Subject: I-D Action:draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 01:15:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IANA Procedures for Maintaining the Timezone Database
	Author(s)       : E. Lear, P. Eggert
	Filename        : draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-02.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2011-01-27

ATTENTION: This memo contains a DRAFT proposal for the IANA to assume
operational responsibilities relating to the management of the
Timezone (TZ) Database.  The authors seek comment and review of this
proposal.  No action will be taken without rough consensus of the TZ
community.

Timezone information serves as a basic protocol element in protocols,
such as the calendaring suite and DHCP.  The Timezone (TZ) Database
specifies the indices used in various protocols, as well as their
semantic meanings, for all localities throughout the world.  This
database has been meticulously maintained and distributed free of
charge by a group of volunteers, coordinated by a single volunteer
who is now planning to retire.  This memo specifies IANA procedures
involved with maintenance of the TZ database and associated code,
including how to submit proposed updates, how decisions for inclusion
of those updates are made, and the selection of a designated expert
BY AND FOR the timezone community.  The intent of this memo is, to
the extent possible, document existing practice and provide a means
to ease succession.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.