Subject: I-D Action:draft-waehlisch-sam-common-api-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:15:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast
	Author(s)       : M. Waehlisch, et al.
	Filename        : draft-waehlisch-sam-common-api-05.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2011-01-28

Group communication services exist in a large variety of flavors, and
technical implementations at different protocol layers.  Multicast
data distribution is most efficiently performed on the lowest
available layer, but a heterogeneous deployment status of multicast
technologies throughout the Internet requires an adaptive service
binding at runtime.  Today, it is difficult to write an application
that runs everywhere and at the same time makes use of the most
efficient multicast service available in the network.  Facing
robustness requirements, developers are frequently forced to using a
stable, upper layer protocol controlled by the application itself.
This document describes a common multicast API that is suitable for
transparent communication in underlay and overlay, and grants access
to the different multicast flavors.  It proposes an abstract naming
by multicast URIs and discusses mapping mechanisms between different
namespaces and distribution technologies.  Additionally, it describes
the application of this API for building gateways that interconnect
current multicast domains throughout the Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-waehlisch-sam-common-api-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.