Subject: I-D Action:draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 21:30:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Codecs and Profiles Parameters for "Bucket" Media Types
	Author(s)       : R. Gellens, et al.
	Filename        : draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2011-01-27

Several MIME type/subtype combinations exist that can contain
different media formats.  A receiving agent thus needs to examine the
details of such media content to determine if the specific elements
can be rendered given an available set of codecs.  Especially when
the end system has limited resources, or the connection to the end
system has limited bandwidth, it would be helpful to know from the
Content-Type alone if the content can be rendered.

This document specifies two parameters, "codecs" and "profiles",
which are used with various MIME types or type/subtype combinations
to allow for unambiguous specification of the codecs and/or profiles
employed by the media formats contained within.

By labeling content with the specific codecs indicated to render the
contained media, receiving systems can determine if the codecs are
supported by the end system, and if not, can take appropriate action
(such as rejecting the content, sending notification of the
situation, transcoding the content to a supported type, fetching and
installing the required codecs, further inspection to determine if it
will be sufficient to support a subset of the indicated codecs, etc.)

Similarly, the profiles can provide an overall indication, to the
receiver, of the specifications with which the content complies.  The
receiver may be able to work out the extent to which it can handle
and render the content by examining to see which of the declared
profiles it supports, and what they mean.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.