Subject: I-D Action:draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 07:30:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Protocol to Access White Space database: Problem statement and Requirements
	Author(s)       : B. Patil, et al.
	Filename        : draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-02-22

Governments around the world continue to search for new pieces of
radio spectrum which can be used by the expanding wireless
communications industry to provide Broadband Wireless Access (BWA).
The concept of allowing secondary or unlicensed transmissions in
frequencies occupied by a primary or licensed user is a technique to
"unlock" existing spectrum for new use.  An obvious requirement is
that these secondary or unlicensed transmissions do not interfere
with the primary or licensed use of the spectrum.  The fundamental
issue is how to determine for a specific location and specific time
if any TV channels are available for unlicensed use, e.g. they are
not being used for TV broadcast or by a wireless microphone.
Academia and Industry have studied multiple cognitive radio enablers
for use in such a scenario.  The methods of geolocation and database
have been shown to achieve favorable results.  This document
discusses the requirements and the problems that need to be addressed
for enabling the use of white-space spectrum by obtaining information
from a database.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.