Subject: I-D Action:draft-bhatia-pim-mpls-register-packets-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:45:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Replacing PIM Register packets with MPLS encapsulation
	Author(s)       : M. Bhatia
	Filename        : draft-bhatia-pim-mpls-register-packets-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2011-02-10

In PIM-SM the designated router (DR) closest to the source keeps
sending PIM register packets till it receives an explicit Register-
Stop message from the rendezvous point (RP) router.  The process of
encapsulating multicast data traffic to the RP, and the decapsulation
done by RP are relatively expensive operations for a router to
perform, depending upon whether or not the router has appropriate
hardware support for these tasks.

Since the PIM register messages are native IP packets and routed
based on IP forwarding tables no resource reservation mechanisms are
available.  All IP packets will follow common paths that are defined
by the traditional IGP's algorithm and customizing the path for
multicast applications is impossible.

This document proposes using MPLS tunnel(s) to send traffic from the
source to the RP till the shortest path tree (SPT) from the RP to the
source is established.  Processing MPLS packets is easy and is
readily supported on most platforms.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhatia-pim-mpls-register-packets-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.