Subject: I-D Action:draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:00:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Protocol to Access White Space database: Problem statement and Requirements
	Author(s)       : B. Patil, et al.
	Filename        : draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-02-23

Governments around the world continue to search for new pieces of
radio spectrum which can be used by the expanding wireless
communications industry to provide more services in the usable
spectrum.  The concept of allowing secondary transmissions (licensed
or unlicensed) in frequencies occupied by a primary user is a
technique to "unlock" existing spectrum for new use.  An obvious
requirement is that these secondary transmissions do not interfere
with the primary use of the spectrum.  One interesting observation is
that often, in a given physical location, the primary user(s) may not
be using the entire band allocated to them.  The available spectrum
for a secondary use would then depend on the location of the
secondary user.  The fundamental issue is how to determine for a
specific location and specific time, if any of the primary spectrum
is available for secondary use.  Academia and Industry have studied
multiple cognitive radio mechanisms for use in such a scenario.  One
simple mechanism is to use a geospatial database that records the
primary users occupation, and require the secondary users to check
the database prior to selecting what part of the spectrum they use.
Such databases could be available on the Internet for query by
secondary users.  This document discusses the requirements and the
problems that need to be addressed for enabling the use of white
space spectrum by obtaining information from such a database.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-patil-paws-problem-stmt-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.