Subject: I-D Action:draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 04:45:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Inter-ALTO Communication Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : Z. Dulinski, et al.
	Filename        : draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2011-03-04

This draft considers an approach to the optimization of the traffic
generated by the overlay (peer-to-peer) applications, where some
information on inter-AS (Autonomous System) paths is obtained with
the usage of dedicated communication scheme known as inter-ALTO
communication.

The large amount of network traffic generated by overlay applications
requires effective management.  This traffic traverses inter-AS links
and thus generates substantial costs for the operators and poses
problems with overload on the external and internal links.  The
traffic is not time-stable as the peers connect and disconnect very
often.  Additionally, when the overlay traffic is observed on
inter-AS links, it can be seen that sources and destinations change
in a very short period of time.  The ALTO (Application-Layer Traffic
Optimization) service provides the information that enables more
efficient management of the overlay traffic.  Such applications can
use the information to perform better-than-random peer selection.
The ALTO servers are responsible for a pre-selection procedure; the
final selection is done by overlay clients and then the ALTO protocol
conveys network information to applications.  To be credible, this
information should be as close to real network situation as possible.
However, some types of data are not hold by an operator, but they
should be gained on the basis of the additional information exchange
with other AS operators.  This document presents rationale for the
need of introduction of the inter-ALTO communication.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.