Subject: I-D Action:draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:00:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Secure naming structure and p2p application interaction
	Author(s)       : C. Dannewitz, et al.
	Filename        : draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2011-03-14

Today, each application typically uses its own way to identify data.
The lack of a common naming scheme prevents applications from
benefiting from available copies of the same data distributed via
different P2P and CDN systems.  The main proposal presented in this
draft is idea that there should be a secure and application
independent way of naming information objects that are transported
over the Internet.  The draft defines a set of requirements for such
a naming structure.  It also presents a proposal for such a naming
structure that could relevant for a number of work groups (existing
and potential), e.g.  PPSP, DECADE and CDNI.  In addition, today's
P2P naming schemes lack important security aspects that would allow
the user to check the data integrity and build trust in data and data
publishers.  This is especially important in P2P applications as data
is received from untrusted peers.  Providing a generic naming scheme
for P2P systems so that multiple P2P systems can use the same data
regardless of data location and P2P system increases the efficiency
and data availability of the overall data dissemination process.  The
secure naming scheme is providing self-certification such that the
receiver can verify the data integrity, i.e., that the correct data
has been received, without requiring a trusted third party.  It also
enables owner authentication to build up trust in (potentially
anonymous) data publishers.  The secure naming structure should be
beneficial as potential design principle in defining the two
protocols identified as objectives in the PPSP charter.  This
document enumerates a number of design considerations to impact the
design and implementation of the tracker-peer signaling and peer-peer
streaming signaling protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dannewitz-ppsp-secure-naming-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.