Subject: I-D Action:draft-fairhurst-tcpm-newcwv-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:15:03 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Updating TCP to support Variable-Rate Traffic
	Author(s)       : G. Fairhurst, I. Biswas
	Filename        : draft-fairhurst-tcpm-newcwv-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-03-07

This document addresses issues that arise when TCP is used to support
variable-rate traffic that includes periods where the transmission
rate is limited by the application.  It evaluates TCP Congestion
Window Validation (TCP-CWV), an IETF experimental specification
defined in RFC 2581, and concludes that TCP-CWV sought to address
important issues, but failed to deliver a widely used solution.

The document recommends that the IETF should consider moving RFC 2861
from Experimental to Historic status, and replacing this with the
current specification, which updates TCP to allow a TCP sender to
restart quickly following either an idle or data-limited period.  The
method is expected to benefit variable-rate TCP applications, while
also providing an appropriate response if congestion is experienced.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fairhurst-tcpm-newcwv-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.