Subject: I-D Action:draft-templin-aero-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:15:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
	Author(s)       : F. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-aero-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2011-03-29

Nodes (i.e., gateways, routers and hosts) attached to link types such
as multicast-capable, shared media and non-broadcast multiple access
(NBMA), etc. can exchange packets as neighbors on the link.  Each
node should therefore be able to discover a neighboring gateway that
can provide default routing services to reach off-link destinations,
and should also accept redirection messages from the gateway
informing it of a neighbor that is closer to the final destination.
This redirect function can provide a useful route optimization, since
the triangular path from the ingress link neighbor, to the gateway,
and finally to the egress link neighbor may be considerably longer
than the direct path between the neighbors.  However, ordinary
redirection may lead to operational issues on certain link types
and/or in certain deployment scenarios.  This document therefore
introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
capability that addresses the issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-aero-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.