Subject: I-D Action:draft-routing-architecture-iot-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 22:15:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Routing Architecture in Low-Power and Lossy Networks (LLNs)
	Author(s)       : J. Hui, J. Vasseur
	Filename        : draft-routing-architecture-iot-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-03-28

The IETF ROLL Working Group has specified a routing protocol designed
for the Low power and Lossy Networks (LLN) also referred to as IP
smart objects networks or the "Internet of things".  Still, the
debate of where routing functions should occur within the network
stack tend to get revived on a regular basis.  A mesh-under approach
places routing functions in the link layer to emulate a single
broadcast domain where all devices appear as immediate neighbors to
the network layer.  In contrast, a route-over approach places all
routing functions at the network layer, following the IP
architecture.

For LLNs, a mesh-under approach may seem simple and attractive
because it seeks to hide characteristics of multi-hop communication
through the LLN from the network layer.  However, resource
constraints and dynamic link characteristics limit to what extent
link-layer routing can hide those characteristics.  This document
presents architectural issues of using a mesh-under approach in LLNs
and how a route-over approach does not suffer from these issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-routing-architecture-iot-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.