Subject: I-D Action:draft-chan-distributed-mobility-ps-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 08:00:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Problem statement for distributed and dynamic mobility management
	Author(s)       : A. Chan, et al.
	Filename        : draft-chan-distributed-mobility-ps-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2011-03-30

Cellular networks have been hierarchical so that mobility management
have primarily been deployed in a centralized architecture.  Mobility
solutions deployed with centralized mobility anchoring in existing
hierarchical mobile networks are more prone to the following problems
or limitations compared with distributed and dynamic mobility
management: (1) Routing via a centralized anchor is often longer, so
that those mobility protocol deployments that lack optimization
extensions results in non-optimal routes, affecting performance;
whereas routing optimization may be an integral part of a distributed
design. (2) As mobile network becomes more flattened centralized
mobility management can become more non-optimal, especially as the
content servers in a content delivery network (CDN) are moving closer
to the access network; in contrast, distributed mobility management
can support both hierarchical network and more flattened network as
it also supports CDN networks. (3) Centralized route maintenance and
context maintenance for a large number of mobile hosts is more
difficult to scale. (4) Scalability may worsen when lacking mechanism
to distinguish whether there are real need for mobility support;
dynamic mobility management, i.e., to selectively provide mobility
support, is needed and may be better implemented with distributed
mobility management. (5) Deployment is complicated with numerous
variants and extensions of mobile IP; these variants and extensions
may be better integrated in a distributed and dynamic design which
can selectively adapt to the needs. (6) Excessive signaling overhead
should be avoided when end nodes are able to communicate end-to-end;
capability to selectively turn off signaling that are not needed by
the end hosts will reduce the handover delay. (7) Centralized
approach is generally more vulnerable to a single point of failure
and attack often requiring duplication and backups, whereas a
distributed approach intrinsically mitigates the problem to a local
network so that the needed protection can be simpler.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chan-distributed-mobility-ps-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.