Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kitamura-ipv6-simple-dns-query-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:30:04 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : Simplified DNS Query under IPv4/IPv6 Mixed Environment
    Author(s)     : H. Kitamura, et al
    Filename      : draft-kitamura-ipv6-simple-dns-query-01.txt
    Pages         : 12
    Date          : 2011-03-14
    
   This document discusses a simplified regular DNS query (resolving
   from a domain name to IP address(es)) method under IPv4/IPv6 mixed
   environment.

   With current DNS query method under IPv4/IPv6 mixed environment, it
   requires for a client to issue Two pairs of DNS query/response
   messages (one for A(IPv4) record, the other for AAAA(IPv6) record)
   to obtain all of IPv4 and IPv6 addresses of the node with its One
   domain name argument.

   It is clear that the current method (that requires to issue Two
   pairs of DNS query/response messages for One domain name resolving)
   is not sophisticated and not optimized for current IPv4/IPv6 mixed
   environment.

   The method was designed at the initial stage of IPv6 deployment
   (when IPv6 was minority). At that time, it was a best practical
   solution. However, now IPv6 is widely spreading. The current DNS
   query method is getting problematic and will never last to the
   future IPv6 fully deployed environment.

   Goals of this document are:
     1. to clarify the problems of current regular DNS query method
     2. to propose a simplified regular DNS query method:
       ("One pair of DNS query/response messages for One domain name
      resolving")
       that is suitable for current IPv4/IPv6 mixed environment.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kitamura-ipv6-simple-dns-query-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.