Subject: I-D Action:draft-gu-dc-management-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 06:00:06 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Policies and dynamic data migration in DC
	Author(s)       : G. Yingjie
	Filename        : draft-gu-dc-management-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-03-07

Virtualization provides Data Center with feasibility and improves the
utilization of limited physical resource, e.g. switches/routers,
servers and links.  Virtual machines (VM) are allowed to migrate to
any place in the Data Center.  A variety of policies (e.g.  ACL,
firewalls, load balancers, IPS and QoS) are deployed in Data Center
to guarantee the SLA the provider signed with their clients.  Dynamic
information, such as TCP Connection Table, dynamic ACLs and cumulated
data, is generated on network devices.  In order to keep running
services uninterrupted while VM migrating, relevant policies and
dynamic information, also need to migrate with VM.

This document describes some examples of the policies and dynamic
information that need to migrate with VM, the influence if they are
not migrated with VM, the problems that need to consider when migrate
polices and dynamic information.  It also describes some existing
network management protocols standardized by IETF and the advantages
and disadvantages of them for operating policies and dynamic
information migration respectively.  The goal is to justify that it
is necessary for IETF to make effort on policy and dynamic
information migration for large virtualized Data Center.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gu-dc-management-problem-statement-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.