Subject: I-D Action:draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 06:30:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multisegment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks
	Author(s)       : L. Hongyu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-03.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-03-11

This document describes the application of MPLS multi-segment
pseudowires (MS-PWs) in a dual-technology environment comprising a
Passive Optical Network (PON) and an MPLS Packet Switched Network
(PSN).

PON technology may be used in mobile backhaul networks to support the
end segments closest to the aggregation devices.  In these cases,
there may be a very large number of PW Terminating Provider Edge
nodes (T-PEs).  The MPLS control plane could be used to provision
these end segments, but support for the necessary protocols would
complicate the management of the T-PEs and would significantly
increase their expense.  Alternatively, static, or management plane,
configuration could be used to configure the end segments, but the
very large number of such segments in a PON places a very heavy
burden on the network manager.

This document describes how to set up the end segment of an end-to-
end MPLS PW over a Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (GPON)
using the GPON management protocol, Optical Network Termination
Management and Control Interface (OMCI).  This simplifies and speeds
up PW provisioning.

This document also shows how a MS-PW may be constructed from an end
segment supported over a PON, and stitched to one or more segments
supported over an MPLS PSN.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.