Subject: I-D Action:draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 16:45:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Trends in Web Applications and the Implications on Standardization
	Author(s)       : H. Tschofenig, et al.
	Filename        : draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2011-03-07

Advancements in the design of web browsers have introduced
fundamental changes to the architecture of application protocols.
The widespread availability and growing sophistication of JavaScript
interpreters in browsers enables web servers to push to browsers all
of the application logic required to implement a client-server
protocol.  Consequently, many client-server applications that once
required an installed client on a host computer now can rely simply
on a modern browser to act as a client for the purposes of a
particular application.  For example, where once email clients
required a custom application to access an inbox, increasingly a web
browser can serve this purpose as well as the purpose-built
applications of the past.  Similarly, HTTP with the assistance of
JavaScript can subsume the functions performed by the protocols like
POP3 and IMAP.  The need for Internet standards beyond HTTP to
implement an email inbox application consequently diminishes - why
author standards and worry about interoperability of clients and
servers when the server can simply push to the client all the code it
needs to be interoperable?

Many client-server applications on the Internet could potential
migrate to this post-standardization environment.  In this
environment, there is of course still a role for the IETF to play:
existing working groups like HyBi and OAuth are examples of areas
where standards work is still required to support this application
development paradigm.  Collectively, we need to identify areas where
the standardization is unlikely to be relevant in the future, and
focus our efforts on those areas where our application designs will
remain impactful.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.