Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:45:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Coupled Congestion Control for Multipath Transport Protocols
	Author(s)       : C. Raiciu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-03-14

Often endpoints are connected by multiple paths, but communications
are usually restricted to a single path per connection.  Resource
usage within the network would be more efficient were it possible for
these multiple paths to be used concurrently.  Multipath TCP is a
proposal to achieve multipath transport in TCP.

New congestion control algorithms are needed for multipath transport
protocols such as Multipath TCP, as single path algorithms have a
series of issues in the multipath context.  One of the prominent
problems is that running existing algorithms such as TCP New Reno
independently on each path would give the multipath flow more than
its fair share at a bottleneck link traversed by more than one of its
subflows.  Further, it is desirable that a source with multiple paths
available will transfer more traffic using the least congested of the
paths, hence achieving resource pooling.  This would increase the
overall efficiency of the network and also its robustness to failure.

This document presents a congestion control algorithm which couples
the congestion control algorithms running on different subflows by
linking their increase functions, and dynamically controls the
overall aggresiveness of the multipath flow.  The result is a
practical algorithm that is fair to TCP at bottlenecks while moving
traffic away from congested links.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mptcp-congestion-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.