Subject: I-D Action:draft-hoffman-dane-smime-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 13:45:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME
	Author(s)       : P. Hoffman, J. Schlyter
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-dane-smime-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-03-03

S/MIME uses certificates for authenticating and encrypting messages.
Users want their mail user agents to securely associate a certificate
with the sender of an encrypted and/or signed message.  DNSSEC
provides a mechanism for a zone operator to sign DNS information
directly.  This way, bindings of certificates to users within a
domain are asserted not by external entities, but by the entities
that operate the DNS.  This document describes how to use secure DNS
to associate an S/MIME user's certificate with the the intended
domain name.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This draft is intentionally sketchy.  It is meant as
a possible starting point for the DANE WG if it wants to consider
making a protocol similar to TLSA, as described in
draft-ietf-dane-protocol, but that applies to S/MIME.  The WG may or
may not want to adopt such work, or if it does, may want to use a
very different scheme from the one described here.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-dane-smime-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.