Subject: I-D Action:draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 10:15:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reusing the IPv4 Identification Field in Atomic Packets
	Author(s)       : B. Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2011-03-07

This specification takes a new approach to extensibility that is both
principled and a hack.  It builds on recent moves to formalise the
increasingly common practice where fragmentation in IPv4 more closely
matches that of IPv6.  The large majority of IPv4 packets are now
'atomic', meaning indivisible.  In such packets, the 16 bits of the
IPv4 Identification (IPv4 ID) field are redundant and could be freed
up for the Internet community to put to other uses, at least within
the constraints imposed by their original use for reassembly.  This
specification defines the process for redefining the semantics of
these bits.  It uses the previously reserved control flag in the IPv4
header to indicate that these 16 bits have new semantics.  Great care
is taken throughout to ease incremental deployment, even in the
presence of middleboxes that incorrectly discard or normalise packets
that have the reserved control flag set.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.