Subject: I-D Action:draft-raszuk-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 15:00:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : BGP Optimal Route Reflection (BGP-ORR)
	Author(s)       : R. Raszuk, et al.
	Filename        : draft-raszuk-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2011-03-12

[RFC4456] asserts that, because the Interior Gateway Protocol (IGP)
cost to a given point in the network will vary across routers, "the
route reflection approach may not yield the same route selection
result as that of the full IBGP mesh approach."  One practical
implication of this assertion is that the deployment of route
reflection may thwart the ability to achieve hot potato routing.  Hot
potato routing attempts to direct traffic to the closest AS egress
point in cases where no higher priority policy dictates otherwise.
As a consequence of the route reflection method, the choice of exit
point for a route reflector and its clients will be the egress point
closest to the route reflector - and not necessarily closest to the
RR clients.

Section 11 of [RFC4456] describes a deployment approach and a set of
constraints which, if satsified, would result in the deployment of
route reflection yielding the same results as the iBGP full mesh
approach.  Such a deployment approach would make route reflection
compatible with the application of hot potato routing policy.

As networks evolved to accommodate architectural requirements of new
services, tunneled (LSP/IP tunneling) networks with centralized route
reflectors became commonplace.  This is one type of common deployment
where it would be impractical to satisfy the constraints described in
Section 11 of [RFC4456].  Yet, in such an environment, hot potato
routing policy remains desirable.

This document proposes two new solutions which can be deployed to
facilitate the application of closest exit point policy centralized
route reflection deployments.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-raszuk-bgp-optimal-route-reflection-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.