Subject: I-D Action:draft-cooper-web-tracking-opt-outs-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 14:15:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Overview of Universal Opt-Out Mechanisms for Web Tracking
	Author(s)       : A. Cooper, H. Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-cooper-web-tracking-opt-outs-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2011-03-07

Web servers and the entities that operate them have long had the
ability to track user agents as they access resources hosted across
different web domains.  Concern over the privacy implications of such
tracking has prompted recent work on a number of solutions that aim
to provide a universal opt-out mechanism for web tracking that can be
effectuated through a simple binary choice presented to users.

This document provides an overview of the following mechanisms:
permanent opt-out cookies, cookie blocking, domain blocking, a "Do
Not Track" (DNT) HTTP header, and a Do Not Track Document Object
Model (DOM) property.  The aim of this document is to describe each
approach, the pros and cons of each, and areas where standardization
may be necessary should each approach be further pursued, without
making recommendations about which approach or approaches should be
adopted.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cooper-web-tracking-opt-outs-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.