Subject: I-D Action:draft-lee-cross-stratum-optimization-datacenter-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 16:00:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Research Proposal for Cross Stratum Optimization (CSO) between Data Centers and Networks
	Author(s)       : G. Bernstein
	Filename        : draft-lee-cross-stratum-optimization-datacenter-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-03-03

Data Centers offer various application services to end-users such as 
video gaming, cloud computing and others. Since the data centers used 
to provide application services are distributed geographically around 
a network, many decisions made in the control and management of 
application services, such as where to instantiate another service 
instance or to which data center out of several a new client is 
assigned, can have a significant impact on the state of the network. 
Conversely the capabilities and state of the network can have a major 
impact on application performance.  

Currently application decisions are made with very little or no 
information concerning the underlying network used to deliver those 
services. Hence such decisions may be sub-optimal from both 
application and network resource utilization and quality of service 
objectives. This document proposes a research program into cross 
stratum application/network optimization focusing on the challenges 
and opportunities presented by data center based applications and 
carriers networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-cross-stratum-optimization-datacenter-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.