Subject: I-D Action:draft-wang-ccamp-latency-te-metric-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 07:30:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : GMPLS extensions to communicate latency as a traffic engineering performance metric
	Author(s)       : X. Fu, et al.
	Filename        : draft-wang-ccamp-latency-te-metric-03.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2011-03-14

Latency is such requirement that must be achieved according to the
Service Level Agreement (SLA) between customers and service
providers.  Network Performance Objective (NPO) defined in ITU-T
Y.1540 and Y.1541 is used for describing the meaning and numerical
values performance parameters traversing multiple packet networks.
The definitions of the packet network performance parameters are
often also used as the basis of SLAs service providers, but possibly
with different numerical values.  A SLA is a part of a service
contract where the level of service is formally defined between
service providers and customers.  For example, the service level
includes platinum, golden, silver and bronze.  Different service
level may associate with different protection/restoration
requirement.  Latency can also be associated with different service
level.  The user may select a private line provider based on the
ability to meet a latency SLA.

The key driver for latency is stock/commodity trading applications
that use data base mirroring.  A few milli seconds can impact a
transaction.  Financial or trading companies are very focused on end-
to-end private pipe line latency optimizations that improve things
2-3 ms.  Latency and latency SLA is one of the key parameters that
these "high value" customers use to select a private pipe line
provider.  Other key applications like video gaming, conferencing and
storage area networks require stringent latency and bandwidth.

This document describes the requirements and mechanisms to
communicate latency as a traffic engineering performance metric in
today's network which is consisting of potentially multiple layers of
packet transport network and optical transport network in order to
meet the latency SLA between service provider and his customers.
This document also extends RSVP-TE and IGP to support these
requirement.  These extensions are intended to advertise and convey
the latency information of nodes and links as traffic engineering
performance metric.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wang-ccamp-latency-te-metric-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.