Subject: I-D Action:draft-cardenas-dff-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 17:00:03 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Depth-First Forwarding in Unreliable Networks
	Author(s)       : A. Cardenas, et al.
	Filename        : draft-cardenas-dff-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-03-07

Routing protocols are generally composed of two independent phases,
the control plane and the data forwarding plane.  The control plane
is responsible for route discovery and maintenance.  The data
forwarding plane performs a table lookup operation to set the packet
on the right path.  In unreliable networks, the routing process
incurs a large control overhead when is constantly repairing routes,
detecting loops, and finding alternate paths due to frequent link
failures.

This document describes the Depth-First Forwarding (DFF) protocol; a
data forwarding mechanism that can be used to minimize the burden and
control overhead of a control plane used in unreliable networks.  DFF
offers reliability and low control overhead by supporting in the data
plane loop detection, updates to the routing tables, and rerouting of
data packets through alternate paths.  DFF can be integrated with
different types of control plane mechanisms and can be used in mesh-
under and route-over specifications.  In this draft, we describe a
sample DFF implementation as a 6LoWPAN mesh-under data forwarding
protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cardenas-dff-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.