Subject: I-D Action:draft-asaeda-mboned-sap-limitation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 02:15:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Limitations of Session Announcement Protocol (SAP)
	Author(s)       : H. Asaeda, V. Roca
	Filename        : draft-asaeda-mboned-sap-limitation-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-03-06

The Session Announcement Protocol (SAP) [2] has historically been
used to announce information for all available IP multicast sessions
to the prospective receivers in the experimental MBone.  Each
receiver can then discover which sessions are available and which
ones he may want to join.  Although SAP is easy to use, SAP is not
scalable and controlling the SAP message transmission in a wide area
network is not easy.  Therefore this document describes the
limitations of SAP when used in the global Internet.  Furthermore,
SAP has recently been used as a convenient method for conveying
configuration information to a set of receivers that are already
interested by a multicast session (e.g., to carry FEC Framework
Configuration Information [7]).  This documents describes the
limitations of SAP for this type of usage, since this latter is
rather different from its original goals.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asaeda-mboned-sap-limitation-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.