Subject: I-D Action:draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:45:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Considerations for Having a Successful "Bar BOF" Side Meeting
	Author(s)       : L. Eggert, G. Camarillo
	Filename        : draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-03-03

New work is typically brought to the IETF by a group of interested
individuals.  IETF meetings are a convenient place for such groups to
hold informal get-togethers to discuss and develop their ideas.  Such
side meetings, which are not reflected in the IETF meeting agenda and
have no official status, are often half-jokingly referred to as "bar
BOF" sessions, to acknowledge that some of them may eventually lead
to a proposal for an official IETF BOF ("birds of a feather" session)
on a given topic.

During recent IETF meetings, many such "bar BOF" get-togethers have
been organized and moderated in ways that made them increasingly
indistinguishable from official IETF BOFs or sometimes even IETF
working group meetings.

This document argues that this recent trend is not helpful in
reaching the ultimate goal of many of these get-togethers, i.e., to
efficiently discuss and develop ideas for new IETF work.  It
encourages the organizers to consider the benefits of holding them in
much less formal settings, and to also consider alternative means to
develop their ideas.  This document also recommends that the
community abandon the term "bar BOF" and instead use other terms such
"side meeting", in order to stress the unofficial nature of these
get-togethers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.