Subject: I-D Action:draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 01:00:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Cloning Domain Name System (DNS) Labels for Fun and Profit
	Author(s)       : D. Barton
	Filename        : draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-03-14

This document describes a method for making one or more Domain Name
System (DNS) labels behave in the DNS "as if" they were actually an
entirely different label.  E.g., the delegee for the example.org zone
could define bar.example.org to be a CLONE of foo.example.org.  This
method is designed to meet the needs of those managing
Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) zones that have been determined
to be semantically similar, and therefore should be treated "as if"
they were identical.  This method can also be used more generally to
handle situations where either CNAME or DNAME Resource Records are
currently being used.

A key design goal for the CLONE method is that all of the semantic
benefits are available by updating only the authoritative servers for
the zone.  Domain managers who want to support DNSSEC for the CLONEd
labels/zones may do so with dynamic signing of the CLONEs, or rely on
users being behind a CLONE-Aware resolving name server.

Foreword

[RFC Editor, please remove this Section at publication time.
Thanks.]

This is my first draft, please be gentle. :) I'm definitely open to
the possibility that there are better ways to accomplish the concepts
presented herein.  I'm sure that there are a non-zero number of
errors in the formatting, references, etc.  Also Sections 2 and 3 may
be under-specified, unclear, or unworkable.  So please don't be
afraid to offer (constructive) criticism.

TODO:

Update/add/improve references?

Add/improve examples?

Revision History:
1.  -00 Initial version

2.  -01 Minor textual edits, add support for dynamic signing, clarify

 CLONE labels that are not zone cuts

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.