Subject: I-D Action:draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:15:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Scalable, Loop-Free BGP FRR using Repair Label
	Author(s)       : A. Bashandy, B. Pithawala
	Filename        : draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-03-28

Consider a BGP free core scenario. Suppose the provider edge BGP
speaker PE1, PE2,..., PEn know about a prefix P/p via the external
routers CE1, CE2,..., CEm.  If the PE router PEi loses connectivity to
the primary path, whether it is another PE router or a CE router, it
desirable to immediately restore traffic by rerouting packets arriving
to PEi and destined to the prefix P/p to one of the other PE routers
that advertised P/p, say PEj, until BGP re-converges. However if the
loss of connectivity of PEi to the primary path also resulted in the
loss of connectivity between PEj and CEj, rerouting a packet before
the control plane converges may result in a loop. In this document, we
propose using a repair label for traffic restoration while avoiding
loops. We propose advertising the "repair" label through BGP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.