Subject: I-D Action:draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 00:30:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Adaptive VLAN Assignment for Data Center RBridges
	Author(s)       : M. Zhang, D. Zhang
	Filename        : draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-03-07

When several RBridges are multi-accessed to a LAN link, each of them
can act as the packet forwarder for the hosts attached to this link.
One of the RBridges will be elected as the Designated RBridge (DRB)
which is responsible to choose the Appointed Forwarder (AF) for each
VLAN appearing on this LAN link. If the DRB casually assign a VLAN to
an RBridge as the Appointed Forwarder without considering the number
of the MAC addresses and traffic load of this VLAN, it may overload
some of the RBridges while leave other RBridges lightly loaded. This
unbalanced assignment issue reduces the scalability of a TRILL
network and undermines its performance. Therefore, the TRILL DRB
should choose Appointed Forwarders taking their load into
consideration. The goal of this document is to design a new protocol
to support the adaptive VLAN assignment (or Appointed Forwarder
selection) based on the forwarders' reporting of their usage of MAC
tables and available bandwidth.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.