Subject: I-D Action:draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 06:00:06 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Cloning Domain Name System (DNS) Labels for Fun and Profit
	Author(s)       : D. Barton
	Filename        : draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-03-07

This document describes a method for making one or more Domain Name
System (DNS) labels behave in the DNS "as if" they were actually an
entirely different label.  E.g., the delegee for the example.org zone
could define bar.example.org to be a CLONE of foo.example.org.  This
method is designed to meet the needs of those managing
Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) zones that have been determined
to be semantically similar, and therefore should be treated "as if"
they were identical.  This method can also be used more generally to
handle situations where currently either CNAME or DNAME Resource
Records are being used.

A key design goal for the CLONE method is that except for DNSSEC
support all of the semantic benefits are available by updating the
authoritative servers for the zone.  Therefore unless DNSSEC support
for the CLONEd zones is required there is no dependency on end users
being behind a CLONE-Aware resolving name server.

Foreword

[RFC Editor, please remove this Section at publication time.
Thanks.]

This is my first draft, please be gentle. :) I'm definitely open to
the possibility that there are better ways to accomplish the concepts
presented herein.  I'm sure that there are a non-zero number of
errors in the formatting, references, etc.  Also Sections 2 and 3 may
be under-specified, unclear, or unworkable.  So please don't be
afraid to offer (constructive) criticism.

TODO:

Update/add/improve references?

Add/improve examples?

Revision History:
1.  -00 Initial version

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barton-clone-dns-labels-fun-profit-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.