Subject: I-D Action:draft-hou-pim-ecmp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:15:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Assert
	Author(s)       : Y. Cai, et al.
	Filename        : draft-hou-pim-ecmp-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2011-03-04

A PIM router uses RPF procedure to select an upstream interface and
router to build forwarding state.  When there are equal cost multiple
paths (ECMP), existing implementations often use hash algorithms to
select a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread of traffic
among the ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This usually
leads to inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.  This
document introduces the ECMP Assert, a mechanism to improve the RPF
procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP path selection to be based on
administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission delays,
path preferences and routing metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hou-pim-ecmp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.