Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 12:15:02 -0800

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN
    Author(s)     : H. Shah, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-16.txt
    Pages         : 33
    Date          : 2011-03-07
    
The Virtual Private Wire Service (VPWS) [RFC4664] provides 
     point-to-point connections between pairs of Customer Edge (CE) 
     devices.  It does so by binding two Attachment Circuits (each 
     connecting a CE device with a Provider Edge, PE, device) to a 
     pseudowire (connecting the two PEs).  In general, the Attachment               
     Circuits must be of the same technology (e.g., both Ethernet, 
     both ATM), and the pseudowire must carry the frames of that 
     technology.  However, if it is known that the frames' payload 
     consists solely of IP datagrams, it is possible to provide a 
     point-to-point connection in which the pseudowire connects 
     Attachment Circuits of different technologies. This requires the 
     PEs to perform a function known as "ARP Mediation". ARP 
     Mediation refers to the process of resolving Layer 2 addresses 
     when different resolution protocols are used on either 
     Attachment Circuit. The methods described in this document are 
     applicable even when the CEs run a routing protocol between 
     them, as long as the routing protocol runs over IP.  

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-16.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.