Subject: I-D Action:draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 08:45:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Use Cases for ALTO within CDNs
	Author(s)       : B. Niven-Jenkins, et al.
	Filename        : draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-04-27

For some time, Content Distribution Networks (CDNs) have been used in
the delivery of some Internet services (e.g. delivery of websites,
software updates and video delivery) as they provide numerous
benefits including reduced delivery cost for cacheable content,
improved quality of experience for end users and increased robustness
of delivery.

In order to derive the optimal benefit from a CDN it is preferable to
deliver content from the servers (caches) that are "closest" to the
End User requesting the content, where "closest" may be as simple as
"geographical or network distance" combined with CDN server load
within a location, but may also consider other more complex
combinations of metrics and CDN or Network Service Provider (NSP)
policies.

There are a number of different ways in which a CDN may obtain the
necessary network topology and/or cost information to allow it to
serve End Users from the most optimal servers/locations, such as
static configuration, passively listening to routing protocols
directly, or obtaining topology and cost by querying an information
service such as the ALTO map & cost services.

This document describes the use cases for a CDN to be able to obtain
network topology and cost information from an ALTO server(s) and
details additional requirements on the ALTO protocol that result from
such use cases.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.