Subject: I-D Action:draft-mbenjamin-afs-file-locking-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 04:00:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : AFS Byte-Range Locking
	Author(s)       : M. Benjamin
	Filename        : draft-mbenjamin-afs-file-locking-06.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2011-04-27

The AFS-3 protocol supports file locks, but only on whole 
files, only in advisory mode. Efficient support for byte-range 
file locking, together with the stronger semantics with which 
they are associated, are required to improve the suitability of 
AFS as a LAN file-sharing protocol for both Unix and Windows 
clients. Applications on the Windows platform, in particular 
(e.g., Microsoft Office), actually require byte-range locking 
to function correctly. Emulation in the client has alleviated 
most serious problems, albeit, with reduced semantics. We 
propose protocol enhancements facilitating server-coordinated 
byte-range locks, atomic lock up/down-grade support, improved 
semantics for files under byte-range lock control, protocol 
support for wait-on-lock with fairness, and mandatory lock 
enforcement for clients on request. The delegation proposal, 
included within this document in previous drafts, has been 
split out into a separate proposal, based on feedback from 
reviewers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mbenjamin-afs-file-locking-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.