Subject: I-D Action:draft-randriamasy-alto-relay-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:00:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Provider Confidential ALTO with Relays
	Author(s)       : S. Randriamasy
	Filename        : draft-randriamasy-alto-relay-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-04-15

IETF is designing a new service called ALTO (Application Layer
traffic Optimization) that includes a "Network Map Service" and an
"Endpoint Ranking Service" and thus incentives for application
clients to connect to ISP preferred Endpoints.  These services
provide a view of the Network Provider (NP) topology to overlay
clients.  However, NPs remain reluctant to implement the ALTO
protocol for security reasons.  In particular, they do not want their
topology to be easily unveiled to third parties and thus more
vulnerable to misuse.

This document proposes a scheme to preserve Network Provider
confidentiality while allowing the use of ALTO information for
applications.  It introduces an "ALTO Relay" that gets the provider
confidential ALTO response and hands it to a functional entity called
a Connection Relay.  Meanwhile the ALTO Client gets a status and
directions to connect to Connection Relay, that then will hand the
desired application data.  The benefit for Application Clients
accepting ALTO transactions involving ALTO Relays is a better quality
of experience.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-randriamasy-alto-relay-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.