Subject: I-D Action:draft-lee-network-stratum-query-problem-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:45:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Problem Statement for Network Stratum Query
	Author(s)       : Y. Lee, et al.
	Filename        : draft-lee-network-stratum-query-problem-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2011-04-20

This document describes the general problem of network stratum query
for application optimization. Network Stratum query is an ability to
query the network from an application controller such as those used
in Data Centers so that application controller decisions such as
server assignment or virtual machine instantiation/migration could be
performed with better knowledge of the underlying network conditions.

As application servers are distributed geographically across Data
Centers, many application-related decisions such as which server to
assign a new client or where to instantiate/migrate virtual machines
will suffer from sub-optimality unless the underlying network
conditions are factored in the decision process. The lack of network
awareness may result in not meeting the end-user service objective
for some key applications like video gaming/conferencing that require
stringent latency and bandwidth requirement.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lee-network-stratum-query-problem-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.