Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 04:15:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Toby Moncaster
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-05.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-05-21

   The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
   quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
   On every link in the PCN domain, the overall rate of the PCN-traffic
   is metered, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
   configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes provide decision points
   with information about the PCN-marks of PCN-packets which allows them
   to take decisions about whether to admit or block a new flow request,
   and to terminate some already admitted flows during serious pre-
   congestion.

   This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
   header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   codepoints within a PCN-domain.  This encoding builds on the baseline
   encoding of RFC5696 and provides for three different PCN marking
   states using a single DSCP: not-marked (NM), threshold-marked (ThM)
   and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence, it is called the 3-in-1 PCN
   encoding.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-05.txt