Subject: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-mta-malformed-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:48:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Best Current Practices for Handling of Malformed Messages
	Author(s)       : Murray S. Kucherawy
	Filename        : draft-kucherawy-mta-malformed-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-05-10

   The email ecosystem has long had a very permissive set of common
   processing rules in place, despite increasingly rigid standards
   governing its components, ostensibly to improve the user experience.
   The handling of these come at some cost, and various components are
   faced with decisions about whether or not to permit non-conforming
   messages to continue toward their destinations unaltered, adjust them
   to conform (possibly at the cost of losing some of the original
   message), or outright rejecting them.

   This memo includes a collection of the best current practices in a
   variety of such situations, to be used as implementation guidance.
   It must be emphasized, however, that the intent of this memo is not
   to standardize malformations or otherwise encourage their
   proliferation.  The messages that are the subject of this memo are
   manifestly malformed.  Rather, the practical nature of the ecosystem
   has permitted malformed messages to continue to be injected, and this
   memo provides recommendations for dealing with them in ways that seem
   to do the least harm.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kucherawy-mta-malformed-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kucherawy-mta-malformed-01.txt