Subject: I-D Action: draft-chapin-rfc2606bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:44:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reserved Top Level Domain Names
	Author(s)       : Lyman Chapin
                          Mark McFadden
	Filename        : draft-chapin-rfc2606bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-05-31

   The Internet Domain Name System (DNS) defines a tree of names
   starting with root, &quot;.&quot;, immediately below which are top level domain
   (TLD) names such as &quot;.com&quot; and &quot;.us&quot;.  RFC2606 reserved a small
   number of TLD names for use in documentation examples, private
   testing, experiments, and other circumstances in which it is
   desirable to avoid conflict with current or future actual TLD names
   in the DNS.  The evolution of Internet engineering and operation
   practices since RFC2606 was published in 1999, and the expected
   addition of new TLD names to the DNS, recommend this update to the
   list of reserved TLD names, and the creation of a &quot;reserved TLD name
   registry&quot; to which additional names may be added as new requirements
   arise.

   It is important to note that TLD names may be reserved, in other
   contexts, for policy, political, or other reasons that are distinct
   from the IETF&#39;s concern with Internet engineering and operations.
   This document reserves TLD names only for operational and engineering
   reasons.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chapin-rfc2606bis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chapin-rfc2606bis-00.txt