Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:15:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Time to Remove Filters for Previously Unallocated IPv4 /8s
	Author(s)       : L. Vegoda
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2011-05-12

It has been common for network administrators to filter IP traffic
from and BGP prefixes of unallocated IPv4 address space.  Now that
there are no longer any unallocated IPv4 /8s, this practise is more
complicated, fragile and expensive.  Network administrators are
advised to remove filters based on the registration status of the
address space.

This document explains why any remaining packet and BGP prefix
filters for unallocated IPv4 /8s should now be removed on border
routers and documents those IPv4 unicast prefixes that should not be
routed across the public Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-no-more-unallocated-slash8s-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.