Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 05:31:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : To Address the Space Limitation of Inner VLAN
	Author(s)       : Mingui Zhang
	Filename        : draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-05-31

   TRILL is originally designed for customer networks. When it is used
   as a provider network to interconnect multiple separate users, the
   space of current Inner VLAN becomes insufficient. As an easy way, we
   can introduce a new VLAN ID field to TRILL header. The new VLAN ID
   can be use in conjunction with the native Inner VLAN, which is
   usually known as stacked VLANs(or Q-in-Q). The stacked VLANs
   mechanism is analyzed in this document. In addition, a novel MAC
   address rewriting mechanism is also brought forward to break the
   space limitation of the Inner VLAN. The MAC addresses of the native
   frame are not used for forwarding process in transit RBridges. When
   the packet enters the TRILL network, the ingress RBridge (Appointed
   Forwarder) uses a Virtual MAC (VMAC) address to replace the real MAC
   and embedded the native VLAN ID into this virtual MAC address. When a
   packet egresses from the TRILL network, the egress RBridge will use
   the real MAC address to replace the virtual MAC address and deliver
   it to the destination on the local link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-00.txt