Subject: I-D Action:draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 13:15:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Simple Method for Segmenting Multicast Tunnels for Multicast VPNs
	Author(s)       : M. Napierala, et al.
	Filename        : draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2011-05-02

To provide Multicast VPN (MVPN) Service, Service Providers (SPs) need
to instantiate multicast tunnels (known as "P-tunnels") that enable
the Provider Edge (PE) routers of a given VPN to transmit multicast
packets to each other.  Some SPs organize their networks in a
hierarchical manner, with the PE routers in "edge areas", and the
edge areas connected to each other via a "core area". A P-tunnel that
connects PE routers in different edge areas can be thought of as
having three segments: a segment through one edge area, a segment
through the core area, and a segment through the second edge area.
It is desirable to preserve the independence of the core area by
allowing it to use a different tunneling technology than that used in
the edge areas.  However, it is not desirable for the core area
Border Routers (BRs) to participate in the MVPN-specific signaling,
or even to have any knowledge of which MVPNs are in the edge areas
that attach to it.  This document specifies a simple method for
segmenting MVPN P-tunnels at the BRs, subject to these constraints.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.