Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-alto-reqs-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:30:06 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Requirements
    Author(s)     : S. Previdi, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-alto-reqs-09.txt
    Pages         : 21
    Date          : 2011-05-10
    
   Many Internet applications are used to access resources, such as
   pieces of information or server processes, which are available in
   several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
   is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
   of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
   guidance to applications, which have to select one or several hosts
   from a set of candidates, that are able to provide a desired
   resource.  This guidance shall be based on parameters that affect
   performance and efficiency of the data transmission between the
   hosts, e.g., the topological distance.  The ultimate goal is to
   improve performance (or Quality of Experience) in the application
   while reducing resource consumption in the underlying network
   infrastructure.

   This document enumerates requirements for ALTO, which should be
   considered when specifying, assessing, or comparing protocols and
   implementations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-reqs-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.