Subject: I-D Action: draft-ymbk-aplusp-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 06:13:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The A+P Approach to the IPv4 Address Shortage
	Author(s)       : Randy Bush
	Filename        : draft-ymbk-aplusp-10.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2011-05-31

   We are facing the exhaustion of the IANA IPv4 free IP address pool.
   Unfortunately, IPv6 is not yet deployed widely enough to fully
   replace IPv4, and it is unrealistic to expect that this is going to
   change before the depletion of IPv4 addresses.  Letting hosts
   seamlessly communicate in an IPv4-world without assigning a unique
   globally routable IPv4 address to each of them is a challenging
   problem.

   This draft proposes an IPv4 address sharing scheme, treating some of
   the port number bits as part of an extended IPv4 address (Address
   plus Port, or A+P).  Instead of assigning a single IPv4 address to a
   single customer device, we propose to extend the address field by
   using bits from the port number range in the TCP/UDP header as
   additional end point identifiers, thus leaving a reduced range of
   ports available to applications.  This means assigning the same IPv4
   address to multiple clients (e.g., CPE, mobile phones), each with its
   assigned port-range.  In the face of IPv4 address exhaustion, the
   need for addresses is stronger than the need to be able to address
   thousands of applications on a single host.  If address translation
   is needed, the end-user should be in control of the translation
   process - not some smart boxes in the core.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-aplusp-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-aplusp-10.txt