Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 05:15:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reliability-only Ciphersuites for the Bundle Protocol
	Author(s)       : Wesley M. Eddy
                          Lloyd Wood
                          Will Ivancic
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-09.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2011-05-11

   The Delay-Tolerant Networking Bundle Protocol includes a custody
   transfer mechanism to provide acknowledgements of receipt for
   particular bundles.  No checksum is included in the basic DTN Bundle
   Protocol, however, so at intermediate hops, it is not possible to
   verify that bundles have been either forwarded or passed through
   convergence layers without error.  Without assurance that a bundle
   has been received without errors, the custody transfer receipt cannot
   guarantee that a correct copy of the bundle has been transferred, and
   errored bundles are forwarded when the destination cannot use the
   errored content, and discarding the errored bundle early would have
   been better for performance and throughput reasons.  This document
   addresses that situation by defining new ciphersuites for use within
   the existing Bundle Security Protocol&#39;s Payload Integrity Block
   (formerly called the Payload Security Block [ED: remove old name
   before RFC]) to provide error-detection functions that do not require
   support for other, more complex, security-providing ciphersuites that
   protect integrity against deliberate modifications.  This creates the
   checksum service needed for error-free reliability, and does so by
   separating security concerns from the few new reliability-only
   ciphersuite definitions that are introduced here.  The reliability-
   only ciphersuites given here are intended to protect only against
   errors and accidental modification; not against deliberate integrity
   violations.  This document discusses the advantages and disadvantages
   of this approach and the existing constraints that combined to drive
   this design.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-dtnrg-bundle-checksum-09.txt