Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tictoc-1588overmpls-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:39:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Timing over IP Connection and Transfer of Clock Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Transporting PTP messages (1588) over MPLS Networks
	Author(s)       : Shahram Davari
                          Amit Oren
                          Manav Bhatia
                          Peter Roberts
                          Laurent Montini
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tictoc-1588overmpls-01.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2011-05-24

   This document defines the method for transporting PTP messages (PDUs)
   over an MPLS network to enable a proper handling of these packets
   (e.g. implementation of Transparent Clocks (TC)) in LSRs.

   The basic idea is to transport PTP messages inside dedicated MPLS
   LSPs.  These LSPs only carry PTP messages and possibly Control and
   Management packets, but they do not carry customer traffic.

   Two methods for transporting 1588 over MPLS are defined.  The first
   method is to transport PTP messages directly over the dedicated MPLS
   LSP via UDP/IP encapsulation, which is suitable for IP/MPLS networks.
   The second method is to transport PTP messages inside a PW via
   Ethernet encapsulation, which is more suitable for MPLS-TP networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tictoc-1588overmpls-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tictoc-1588overmpls-01.txt