Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:23:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ARP Mediation for IP Interworking of Layer 2 VPN
	Author(s)       : Himanshu Shah
                          Eric Rosen
                          Giles Heron
                          Vach Kompella
	Filename        : draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-17.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2011-06-15

     The Virtual Private Wire Service (VPWS) [RFC4664] provides
     point-to-point connections between pairs of Customer Edge (CE)
     devices.  It does so by binding two Attachment Circuits (each
     connecting a CE device with a Provider Edge, PE, device) to a
     pseudowire (connecting the two PEs).  In general, the Attachment
     Circuits must be of the same technology (e.g., both Ethernet,
     both ATM), and the pseudowire must carry the frames of that
     technology.  However, if it is known that the frames&#39; payload
     consists solely of IP datagrams, it is possible to provide a
     point-to-point connection in which the pseudowire connects
     Attachment Circuits of different technologies. This requires the
     PEs to perform a function known as &quot;ARP Mediation&quot;. ARP
     Mediation refers to the process of resolving Layer 2 addresses
     when different resolution protocols are used on either
     Attachment Circuit. The methods described in this document are
     applicable even when the CEs run a routing protocol between
     them, as long as the routing protocol runs over IP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-17.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l2vpn-arp-mediation-17.txt