Subject: I-D Action: draft-nir-tls-eap-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:14:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Flexible Authentication Framework for the Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol using the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP)
	Author(s)       : Yoav Nir
                          Yaron Sheffer
                          Hannes Tschofenig
                          Peter Gutmann
	Filename        : draft-nir-tls-eap-12.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2011-06-23

   Many of today&#39;s Web security problems have their root in the
   widespread usage of weak authentication mechanisms bundled with the
   usage of password based credentials.  Dealing with both of these
   problems is the basis of this publication.

   This document extends the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol
   with a flexible and widely deployed authentication framework, namely
   the Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), to improve security of
   Web- as well as non-Web-based applications.  The EAP framework allows
   so-called EAP methods, i.e. authentication and key exchange
   protocols, to be plugged into EAP without having to re-design the
   underlying protocol.  The benefit of such an easy integration is the
   ability to run authentication protocols that fit a specific
   deployment environment, both from a credential choice as well as from
   the security and performance characteristics of the actual protocol.

   This work follows the example of IKEv2, where EAP has been added to
   allow clients to seamlessly use different forms of authentication
   credentials, such as passwords, token cards, and shared secrets.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nir-tls-eap-12.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nir-tls-eap-12.txt