Subject: I-D Action: draft-wang-opsawg-policies-migration-gap-analysis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 20:19:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Survey and Gap Analysis for Policies and Dynamic Information Migration in Data Center
	Author(s)       : Wang Danhua
                          Gu Yingjie
	Filename        : draft-wang-opsawg-policies-migration-gap-analysis-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-06-20

   With the virtualization of Data Center, the number of VM explodes.
   VM can play different roles in Data Center, such as end-host, server,
   firewall, and so on.  Also, VM can be migrated to any places within
   Data Center, even to another Data Center.  Since running services
   shouldn&#39;t be significantly interrupted while VM migrates, VM related
   policies and dynamic information generated by any devices must be
   transferred to destination devices during a proper short period.
   [I.D-gu-opsa-policies-migration-00] has introduced more detail
   problem statement and corresponding considerations.  We wish we could
   benefit from existing work to realize accurate dynamic information
   migration (DIM).  Therefore, we engaged in the investigation of
   related IETF works right after general requirements of DIM are
   defined.  Since the solution for DIM has not been decided yet, and
   the author can envision several kinds of solution, e.g. centralized
   or distributed.  It&#39;s unrealistic to enumerate all the related works
   for an uncertain solution.  So, in this draft, only the most related
   IETF work, MIDCOM protocol, has been evaluated to find out whether it
   can fully support DIM or which characteristics can be reused in DIM.
   The author would like analyze other related IETF works when the WG
   make further decision on DIM solution.

   Following a short description of general DIM requirements, this draft
   presents a brief survey of MIDCOM protocol, and then lists the gap
   between MIDCOM and DIM requirements.  The final section presents
   possible working scope on the topic of DIM in IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wang-opsawg-policies-migration-gap-analysis-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wang-opsawg-policies-migration-gap-analysis-00.txt