Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-aero-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:05:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-aero-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2011-06-23

   Nodes (i.e., gateways, routers and hosts) attached to link types such
   as multicast-capable, shared media and non-broadcast multiple access
   (NBMA), etc. can exchange packets as neighbors on the link.  Each
   node should therefore be able to discover a neighboring gateway that
   can provide default routing services to reach off-link destinations,
   and should also accept redirection messages from the gateway
   informing it of a neighbor that is closer to the final destination.
   This redirect function can provide a useful route optimization, since
   the triangular path from the ingress link neighbor, to the gateway,
   and finally to the egress link neighbor may be considerably longer
   than the direct path between the neighbors.  However, ordinary
   redirection may lead to operational issues on certain link types
   and/or in certain deployment scenarios.  This document therefore
   introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
   capability that addresses the issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-aero-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-aero-01.txt