Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:07:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Congestion Exposure Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ConEx Concepts and Use Cases
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Richard Woundy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2011-07-11

   This document provides the entry point to the set of documentation on
   a new Congestion Exposure (ConEx) protocol.  It motivates a new ConEx
   field at the IP layer, focusing on the &#39;why&#39; rather than the &#39;how&#39;.
   In the absence of such a protocol, traffic is subjected to numerous
   traffic management checks and limits as it crosses the Internet.  The
   purpose of this protocol is to expose congestion to network
   operators, so that they have no need to intervene at all when there
   is no congestion, and so they have exactly the right information when
   there is congestion.  Then it will at least be possible for traffic
   management to be application-neutral, openly transparent and free of
   unnecessary restraints.  Although traffic management is the focus of
   this document, it also briefly introduces a number of other important
   potential uses for ConEx, demonstrating its role as a generative
   technology and justifying its placement in the IP layer.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-02.txt