Subject: I-D Action: draft-mcgrew-tls-proxy-server-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 09:19:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TLS Proxy Server Extension
	Author(s)       : David A. McGrew
                          Philip Gladstone
	Filename        : draft-mcgrew-tls-proxy-server-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-07-04

   Transport Layer Security (TLS) is commonly used to protect HTTP and
   other protocols.  HTTP is often proxied, for instance, to allow an
   application-layer firewall to inspect the HTTP traffic between the
   client and the server.  A TLS session cannot protect traffic between
   the client and server when an HTTP proxy is present.  Separate TLS
   sessions can be run between the client and the proxy, on one side,
   and the proxy and the server on the other side.  This provides the
   needed security, as long as the client, server, and proxy device use
   appropriate and consistent security policies.  However, this last
   part is problematic; how can a proxy know if a client trusts a
   server?  At present, TLS provides no mechanism to coordinate
   policies.

   This note defines a TLS extension that allows a TLS proxy to provide
   a TLS client with all of information about the TLS server that the
   client needs to make a well-informed access control decision.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcgrew-tls-proxy-server-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcgrew-tls-proxy-server-00.txt