Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:57:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : To Address the Space Limitation of Inner VLAN
	Author(s)       : Mingui Zhang
	Filename        : draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-06-30

   TRILL is originally designed for customer networks. When it is used
   as a provider network to interconnect multiple separate users, the
   space of current Inner VLAN becomes insufficient. As an easy way, a
   new VLAN ID field is added to the Inner Ethernet frame. The new VLAN
   ID can be use in conjunction with the previous defined Inner VLAN.
   This mechanism is usually known as stacked VLANs(802.1ad, or QinQ).
   The stacked VLANs mechanism is analyzed in this document. The method
   to introduce a single longer VLAN field to current TRILL header is
   also analyzed in this document.  In addition, a novel MAC address
   rewriting mechanism is also brought forward to break the space
   limitation of the Inner VLAN. The MAC addresses of the native frame
   are not used for forwarding process in transit RBridges. When the
   packet enters the TRILL network, the ingress RBridge (Appointed
   Forwarder) uses a Virtual MAC (VMAC) address to replace the real MAC
   and embedded the native VLAN ID into this virtual MAC address. When a
   packet egresses from the TRILL network, the egress RBridge will use
   the real MAC address to replace the virtual MAC address and deliver
   it to the destination on the local link.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-01.txt