Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:38:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Toby Moncaster
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-07.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2011-07-30

   The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
   quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
   The overall rate of the PCN-traffic is metered on every link in the
   PCN domain, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
   configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes pass information about
   these PCN-marks to decision points which then decide whether to admit
   or block new flow requests or to terminate some already-admitted
   flows during serious pre-congestion.

   This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
   header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   codepoints within a PCN-domain.  This encoding provides for up to
   three different PCN marking states using a single DSCP: not-marked
   (NM), threshold-marked (ThM) and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence,
   it is called the 3-in-1 PCN encoding.  This document obsoletes
   RFC5696.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-07.txt