Subject: I-D Action: draft-cardenas-dff-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:22:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Depth-First Forwarding in Unreliable Networks
	Author(s)       : Alvaro A. Cardenas
                          Sandra L. Cespedes
                          Tadashige Iwao
	Filename        : draft-cardenas-dff-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-07-10

   Routing protocols are generally composed of two independent phases,
   the control plane and the data forwarding plane.  The control plane
   is responsible for route discovery and maintenance.  The data
   forwarding plane performs a table lookup operation to set the packet
   on the right path.  In unreliable networks, the routing process
   incurs a large control overhead when is constantly repairing routes,
   detecting loops, and finding alternate paths due to frequent link
   failures.

   This document describes the Depth-First Forwarding (DFF) protocol; a
   data forwarding mechanism that can be used to minimize the burden and
   control overhead of a control plane used in unreliable networks.  DFF
   offers reliability and low control overhead by supporting in the data
   plane loop detection, updates to the routing tables, and rerouting of
   data packets through alternate paths.  DFF can be integrated with
   different types of control plane mechanisms and can be used in mesh-
   under and route-over specifications.  In this draft, we describe a
   sample DFF implementation as a 6LoWPAN mesh-under data forwarding
   protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cardenas-dff-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cardenas-dff-01.txt