Subject: I-D Action: draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-energy-aware-nd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 18:43:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Energy Aware IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optimizations
	Author(s)       : Samita Chakrabarti
                          Erik Nordmark
	Filename        : draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-energy-aware-nd-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2011-07-01

   IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (RFC 4861) protocol has been designed for
   neighbor&#39;s address resolution, unreachability detection, address
   autoconfiguration, router advertisement and solicitation.  With the
   progress of Internet adoption on various industries including home,
   wireless and machine-to-machine communications, there is a desire for
   extension or optimization of RFC 4861 protocol for more energy-
   efficient networks and nodes.  Research indicates that often
   networked- nodes require more energy than stand-alone nodes because a
   node&#39;s energy usage depends on network messages it has to receive and
   or respond.  While reducing energy consumption is essential for
   battery operated nodes in some machines, saving energy actually a
   cost factor in business in general as the explosion of more device
   usage is leading to usage of more servers and network infrastructure
   in all sectors of the society and business.  This document describes
   methods of optimizations by reducing periodic multicast messages,
   frequent Neighbor Solicitation messages and provides a mechanism of
   built-in prefix-dissemination in simple scenarios.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-energy-aware-nd-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-energy-aware-nd-00.txt