Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-chaparadza-intarea-igcp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 07:30:01 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : IP based Generic Control Protocol (IGCP)

    Author(s)     : M. Behringer, et al
    Filename      : draft-chaparadza-intarea-igcp-00.txt
    Pages         : 39
    Date          : 2011-07-25
    
   This document presents a proposal for a multi-purpose Generic Control
   Protocol (IGCP) for IP based networks.  There is a growing need for a
   generic control protocol framework that can be further customized to
   specific usage contexts in which certain types of control information
   exchange messages and behavior among some functional entities hosted
   by different nodes or devices is desired.  For example, the growing
   area of self-management, self-organization and autonomic networking
   introduces functional entities into the node/device and network
   architectures that need to exchange control information in order to
   implement self-adaptive behavior by dynamically configuring and
   optimizing the network.  In this Draft we capture a number of control
   message exchange types of contexts (semantics) that can be
   selectively applied in the exchange of control information, which can
   form the basis of a generic control protocol, while at the same time
   defining the part in the message format that can be further
   customized according to the needs of specific functional entities
   designed to use the generic control protocol for exchanging control
   information.  In this Draft, we present our proposal for such a
   generic control protocol, whose message format is divided into two
   parts: a Common Part and a Generic Data Part.  The Common Part
   defines a set of a variety of selectable control semantics (e.g.
   simple one-way control information flow, indications of whether an
   acknowledgement is needed or not, solicitations for information or
   push/pull behaviors, negotiations for parameter value settings, etc).
   The Generic Data Part can be further customized and structured
   according to some specific use case of conveying control information
   carried by the Data Part that need to be parsed and used by some
   entities designed to interpret the Data Part according to their own
   specific customization and structuring of the Data Part.  We also
   give an example domain of application of the IGCP, namely the domain
   of autonomic adaptive control of network behaviours, of which we
   illustrate further by providing an example Use Case that customizes
   the Data Part of the IGCP for use by special functional entities
   residing in different nodes in exchanging information using the IGCP
   messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chaparadza-intarea-igcp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.