Subject: I-D Action: draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:29:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoAP Utilization for Building Control
	Author(s)       : Peter van der Stok
                          Kerry Lynn
	Filename        : draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2011-07-11

   This draft describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
   building automation and control (BAC) applications such as HVAC and
   lighting.  A few basic design assumptions are stated first, then URI
   structure is utilized to define group as well as unicast scope for
   RESTful operations.

   The authority portion of the URI is used to identify a device (group)
   and the resulting DNS name is bound to a unicast (multicast) address.
   Naming is building or organization dependent, must be flexible, and
   does not require standardization efforts but SHOULD conform to some
   uniform convention.

   It is shown that DNS-based service discovery can be used to locate
   URIs on the scale necessary in large commercial BAC deployments.
   Finally, a method is proposed for mapping URIs onto legacy BAC
   resources, e.g., to facilitate application-layer gateways.

   This proposal supports the view that 1) service discovery is
   complementary to resource discovery and facilitates control network
   scaling, and 2) building control is likely to move in steps toward
   all-IP control networks based on the legacy efforts provided by DALI,
   LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards,

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-04.txt