Subject: I-D Action: draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:00:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Codecs and Profiles Parameters for &quot;Bucket&quot; Media Types
	Author(s)       : Randall Gellens
                          David Singer
                          Per Frojdh
	Filename        : draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-06.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2011-07-27

   Several MIME type/subtype combinations exist that can contain
   different media formats.  A receiving agent thus needs to examine the
   details of such media content to determine if the specific elements
   can be rendered given an available set of codecs.  Especially when
   the end system has limited resources, or the connection to the end
   system has limited bandwidth, it is helpful to know from the Content-
   Type alone if the content can be rendered.

   This document specifies two parameters, &quot;codecs&quot; and &quot;profiles&quot;,
   which are used with various MIME types or type/subtype combinations
   to allow for unambiguous specification of the codecs and/or profiles
   employed by the media formats contained within.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 4281; RFC 4281 defines the &quot;codecs&quot; parameter, which
   this document retains in a backwards compatible manner with minor
   clarifications; the &quot;profiles&quot; parameter is added by this document.

   By labeling content with the specific codecs indicated to render the
   contained media, receiving systems can determine if the codecs are
   supported by the end system, and if not, can take appropriate action
   (such as rejecting the content, sending notification of the
   situation, transcoding the content to a supported type, fetching and
   installing the required codecs, further inspection to determine if it
   will be sufficient to support a subset of the indicated codecs, etc.)

   Similarly, the profiles can provide an overall indication, to the
   receiver, of the specifications with which the content complies.
   This is an indication of the compatibility of the container format
   and its contents to some specification.  The receiver may be able to
   work out the extent to which it can handle and render the content by
   examining to see which of the declared profiles it supports, and what
   they mean.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gellens-mime-bucket-bis-06.txt