Subject: I-D Action: draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 12:04:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Inter-ALTO Communication Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : Zbigniew Dulinski
                          Piotr Wydrych
                          Rafal Stankiewicz
	Filename        : draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-07-11

   This draft considers an approach to the optimization of the traffic
   generated by the overlay (peer-to-peer) applications, where some
   information on inter-AS (Autonomous System) paths is obtained with
   the usage of dedicated communication scheme known as inter-ALTO
   communication.

   The large amount of network traffic generated by overlay applications
   requires effective management.  This traffic traverses inter-AS links
   and thus generates substantial costs for the operators and poses
   problems with overload on the external and internal links.  The
   traffic is not time-stable as the peers connect and disconnect very
   often.  Additionally, when the overlay traffic is observed on
   inter-AS links, it can be seen that sources and destinations change
   in a very short period of time.  The ALTO (Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization) service provides the information that enables more
   efficient management of the overlay traffic.  Such applications can
   use the information to perform better-than-random peer selection.
   The ALTO servers are responsible for a pre-selection procedure; the
   final selection is done by overlay clients and then the ALTO protocol
   conveys network information to applications.  To be credible, this
   information should be as close to real network situation as possible.
   However, some types of data are not hold by an operator, but they
   should be gained on the basis of the additional information exchange
   with other AS operators.  This document presents rationale for the
   need of introduction of the inter-ALTO communication.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulinski-alto-inter-problem-statement-01.txt