Subject: I-D Action: draft-palanivelan-netbios-smb-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 22:29:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Server Message Block and NetBIOS
	Author(s)       : Palanivelan A
	Filename        : draft-palanivelan-netbios-smb-03.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-07-05

	The Network Basic I/O System (NetBIOS) NetBIOS was developed in
        the early 1980s to allow applications to communicate over a
        network. The TCP/IP version called NetBIOSoverTCP/IP(NetBT),
        was developed to support communications between symbolically
        named stations and transfer of arbitrary data.NetBT supports all
        three services (Name, Datagram and Session) supported by NetBIOS.

	The Server Message Block (SMB) is a presentation layer protocol
        providing file and print sharing functions for LAN Manager, and
        other network operating systems.

	SMB over NetBT session is not clearly explained in the RFCs
        [Netbios concepts] and [Netbios specification] and this document
        attempts to provide information on this.

        This document is intended for documentation purpose and for
        informational use only.This document does not attempt to define
        a standard, rather tries explaining an existing implementation.

        This document puts together pieces of information scattered in

        multiple documents and offers a single complete documentation

       for this specific application (smb over NetBT).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palanivelan-netbios-smb-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-palanivelan-netbios-smb-03.txt