Subject: I-D Action: draft-roca-rmt-goe-fec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 05:48:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The Generalized Object Encoding (GOE) Approach for the Forward Erasure Correction (FEC) Protection of Objects and its Application to Reed- Solomon Codes over GF(2^^8)
	Author(s)       : Vincent Roca
                          Aline Roumy
                          Bessem Sayadi
	Filename        : draft-roca-rmt-goe-fec-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2011-07-04

   This document describes a Generalized Object Encoding (GOE) approach
   for the protection of one or multiple objects, using one or several
   FEC schemes, in the context of a Content Delivery Protocol (CDP) like
   FLUTE/ALC, FCAST/ALC or FCAST/NORM.  In RFC5052, the encoding process
   is determined by the object (e.g., file) boundaries, i.e., the same
   code is applied to the whole object that has been submitted to the
   CDP by the user.  The GOE approach instead decouples the definition
   of source blocks that are FEC encoded from the natural object
   boundaries.  More precisely, either different portions of a given
   object can be protected with different FEC codes (i.e., portions of
   different nature and/or with different code rates), with a possible
   overlapping, or at the opposite, different consecutive objects can be
   protected globally through a single FEC encoding.  If a GOE FEC
   Scheme defines how to create and process repair packets using the GOE
   approach, source objects must be encoded with a standard No-Code FEC
   Scheme.  Therefore the same flow of source packets can be shared by
   different flows of repair packets, using different systematic GOE FEC
   schemes.  An additional benefit is that the GOE approach is backward
   compliant since the source packets can be processed by receivers that
   do not support any GOE FEC scheme by simply discarding the repair
   packets.  The present document first of all introduces the GOE
   approach.  It then defines the GOE Reed-Solomon FEC Scheme for the
   particular case of Reed-Solomon codes over GF(2^^8) and no encoding
   symbol group, the GOE equivalent to FEC Encoding ID 5 defined in
   RFC5510.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roca-rmt-goe-fec-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roca-rmt-goe-fec-00.txt