Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 05:08:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Adaptive VLAN Assignment for Data Center RBridges
	Author(s)       : Mingui Zhang
                          Dacheng Zhang
	Filename        : draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-01.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2011-07-11

   If RBridges are casually assigned as Appointed Forwarders for VLANs
   without considering the number of MAC addresses and traffic load of
   these VLANs, it may overload some of the RBridges while leave other
   RBridges lightly loaded, which reduces the scalability of a RBridge
   network and undermines its performance.

   There can only be a single appointed forwarder for one VLAN carried
   by a LAN link at the same time, even if this LAN link is attached to
   multiple points of an RBridge campus. This limitation not only wastes
   the available access bandwidth of RBridge campus but also reduces its
   reliability.

   A new protocol is designed in this document to support the adaptive
   VLAN assignment (or Appointed Forwarder selection) based on the
   forwarders&#39; reporting of their usage of MAC tables and available
   bandwidth. Link aggregation is proposed to overcome the single
   forwarder limitation of TRILL.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-01.txt