Subject: I-D Action: draft-gettys-iw10-considered-harmful-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 12:07:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IW10 Considered Harmful
	Author(s)       : Jim Gettys
	Filename        : draft-gettys-iw10-considered-harmful-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-08-26

   The proposed change to the initial window to 10 indraft-ietf-tcpm-
   initcwnd must be considered deeply harmful; not because it is the
   proposed change is evil taken in isolation, but that other changes in
   web browsers and web sites that have occurred over the last decade,
   it makes the problem of transient congestion at a user&#39;s broadband
   connection two and a half times worse.  This result has been hidden
   by the already widespread bufferbloat present in broadband
   connections.  Packet loss in isolation is no longer a useful metric
   of a path&#39;s quality.  The very drive to improve latency of web page
   rendering is already destroying other low latency applications, such
   as VOIP and gaming, and will prevent reliable rich web real time web
   applications such as those contemplated by the IETF rtcweb working
   group.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gettys-iw10-considered-harmful-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gettys-iw10-considered-harmful-00.txt