Subject: I-D Action: draft-tsou-multrans-use-cases-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:25:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Use Cases For Multicast Transition From IPv4 to IPv6
	Author(s)       : Tina Tsou
                          Cathy Zhou
                          Tom Taylor
                          Roberta Maglione
	Filename        : draft-tsou-multrans-use-cases-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2011-08-24

   Like other internet activities, multicast is affected by the fact
   that the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 is occurring over a period of
   years, via multiple transition paths.  As a result, mechanisms need
   to be added to the basic multicast architecture to assist in specific
   transition scenarios.  This document describes detailed use cases so
   that the requirements for the multicast transition mechanisms can be
   better understood.

   The considered opinion in discussions to date on multicast transition
   requirements has been that the two most important transition
   scenarios in the near future will be the &quot;4-6-4&quot; and &quot;6-4&quot; network
   scenarios.  These scenarios are described in detail below, in their
   several possible variants, showing the new issues that IPv6
   transition raises for multicast operation.

   There is further general agreement that Any-Source Multicast (ASM)
   (the service, not necessarily the technology) is no longer an
   important use case.  As a result, this document restricts itself to
   scenarios where the set of multicast sources is separate from the set
   of multicast receivers.  As a final restriction, it assumes a single
   administrative provider domain.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsou-multrans-use-cases-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tsou-multrans-use-cases-00.txt