Subject: I-D Action: draft-ordogh-spam-reporting-using-imap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:58:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Spam reporting using IMAP: SREP
	Author(s)       : Zoltan Ordogh
	Filename        : draft-ordogh-spam-reporting-using-imap-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-08-26

   The Internet Message Access Protocol [IMAP4] does not support
   reporting spam on its own.  There are a number of solutions available
   based on the multipart/report content type defined in [REPORT].
   However, these solutions require including the message contents and
   hence, consume bandwidth to transmit the entire message.  In
   bandwidth-constrained environments - such as mobile networks - it is
   highly desirable to send only a minimum set of information - a
   reference - instead of the entire message.  Furthermore, it is
   desirable to permit individual server implementations to handle spam
   in any way these systems choose to: do nothing, flag, recommend
   deletion or relocation, perform deletion or relocation, and, involve
   any choice of spam aggregator services in the decision process, such
   as [OMA-SPAMREP].  Solutions that exist today employ manipulating
   proprietary flags in the IMAP storage to achieve the bare minimum,
   however more advanced solutions cannot be developed by using flags
   only; the IMAP server needs to be involved actively in the spam
   reporting process.

   This document specifies the syntax of the SREP command, which allows
   a client to inform the server that the user considered a message (or
   parts thereof) spam, or, that the user no longer considers a message
   (or parts thereof) spam.  Since all information about the message is
   readily available on the server, the command also allows the server
   to implement a more intelligent and accurate decision logic, which
   may be invoked when the spam is reported and the server can respond
   with its decision to the client.

   Additionally, this document contains example flows, illustrating
   various decisions that the server may choose to evaluate, including
   invoking a service based on [OMA-SPAMREP].

   This document focuses only on the client-server interactions and the
   scope is limited to messages that either exist on the IMAP server,
   or, exist elsewhere and the IMAP server is configured to access them.
   Consequently, deposit-time filtering, messages that have been
   deleted, or, exist in an external storage but are accessible via an
   access protocol unknown to the IMAP server are out of scope.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ordogh-spam-reporting-using-imap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ordogh-spam-reporting-using-imap-00.txt