Subject: I-D Action: draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 19:26:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Considerations for Information Services and Operator Services Using SIP
	Author(s)       : John Haluska
                          Richard Ahern
                          Marty Cruze
                          Chris Blackwell
	Filename        : draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-11.txt
	Pages           : 115
	Date            : 2011-08-15

   Information Services are services whereby information is provided in
   response to user requests, and may include involvement of a human or
   automated agent. A popular existing Information Service is Directory
   Assistance (DA). Moving ahead, Information Services providers
   envision exciting multimedia services that support simultaneous
   voice and data interactions with full operator backup at any time
   during the call. Information Services providers are planning to
   migrate to SIP based platforms, which will enable such advanced
   services, while continuing to support traditional DA services.

   Operator Services are traditional PSTN services which often involve
   providing human or automated assistance to a caller, and often
   require the specialized capabilities traditionally provided by an
   operator services switch. Market and/or regulatory factors in some
   jurisdictions dictate that some subset of Operator Services continue
   to be provided going forward.

   This document aims to identify how Operator and Information Services
   can be implemented using existing or currently proposed SIP
   mechanisms, to identity existing protocol gaps, and to provide a set
   of Best Current Practices to facilitate interoperability. For
   Operator Services, the intention is to describe how current operator
   services can continue to be provided to PSTN based subscribers via a
   SIP based operator services architecture. It also looks at how
   current operator services might be provided to SIP based subscribers
   via such an architecture, but does not consider the larger question
   of the need for or usefulness or suitability of each of these
   services for SIP based subscribers.

   This document addresses the needs of current Operator and
   Information Services providers; as such, the intended audience
   includes vendors of equipment and services to such providers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-11.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haluska-sipping-directory-assistance-11.txt