Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:16:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Assert
	Author(s)       : Yiqun Cai
                          Liming Wei
                          Heidi Ou
                          Vishal Arya
                          Sunil Jethwani
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2011-08-30

   A PIM router uses RPF procedure to select an upstream interface and
   router to build forwarding state.  When there are equal cost multiple
   paths (ECMP), existing implementations often use hash algorithms to
   select a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread of traffic
   among the ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This usually
   leads to inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.  This
   document introduces the ECMP Assert, a mechanism to improve the RPF
   procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP path selection to be based on
   administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission delays,
   path preferences and routing metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-00.txt