Subject: I-D Action: draft-weeb-research-to-internet-stds-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 02:27:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : How to Contribute Research Results to Internet Standardization
	Author(s)       : Philip Eardley
                          Lars Eggert
                          Marcelo Bagnulo
                          Rolf Winter
	Filename        : draft-weeb-research-to-internet-stds-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-09-09

   The development of new technology is driven by scientific research.
   The Internet, with its roots in the ARPANET and NSFNet, is no
   exception.  Many of the fundamental, long-term improvements to the
   architecture, security, end-to-end protocols and management of the
   Internet originate in the related academic research communities.
   Even shorter-term, more commercially driven extensions are oftentimes
   derived from academic research.  When interoperability is required,
   the IETF standardizes such new technology.  Timely and relevant
   standardization benefits from continuous input and review from the
   academic research community.

   For an individual researcher, it can however by quite puzzling how to
   begin to most effectively participate in the IETF and - arguably to a
   much lesser degree - in the IRTF.  The interactions in the IETF are
   much different than those in academic conferences, and effective
   participation follows different rules.  The goal of this document is
   to highlight such differences and provide a rough guideline that will
   hopefully enable researchers new to the IETF to become successful
   contributors more quickly.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weeb-research-to-internet-stds-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-weeb-research-to-internet-stds-03.txt