Subject: I-D Action: draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 06:20:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : packet loss rate) for a specified quantity of traffic.
	Author(s)       : Gerald Ash
                          Dave McDysan
	Filename        : draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-02.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2011-09-20

   This document presents a generic connection admission control (GCAC)
   reference model and algorithm for IP/MPLS-based networks.  Service
   provider (SP) IP/MPLS networks need an MPLS GCAC mechanism, for
   example, to reject voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) calls when
   additional calls would adversely affect calls already in progress.
   Without MPLS GCAC, connections on congested links will suffer
   degraded quality.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm can be optionally
   implemented in vendor equipment and deployed by service providers.
   MPLS GCAC interoperates between vendor equipment and across multiple
   service provider domains.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm uses available
   standard mechanisms for MPLS based networks, such as RSVP, DSTE, PCE,
   NSIS, DiffServ, and OSPF.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm does not include
   aspects of CAC that might be considered vendor proprietary
   implementations, such as detailed path selection mechanisms.  MPLS
   GCAC functions are implemented in a distributed manner to deliver the
   objective QoS for specified QoS constraints.  The objective is that
   the source is able to compute a source route with high likelihood
   that MPLS GCAC via elements along the selected path will in fact
   admit the request.  In some cases (e.g., multiple AS) this objective
   cannot always be met, but the document summarizes methods that
   partially meet this objective.  MPLS GCAC is applicable to any
   service or flow that must meet an objective QoS (delay, jitter,
   packet loss rate) for a specified
   quantity of traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-02.txt