Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 02:21:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The WebSocket protocol
	Author(s)       : Ian Fette
                          Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17.txt
	Pages           : 77
	Date            : 2011-09-30

   The WebSocket protocol enables two-way communication between a client
   running untrusted code running in a controlled environment to a
   remote host that has opted-in to communications from that code.  The
   security model used for this is the Origin-based security model
   commonly used by Web browsers.  The protocol consists of an opening
   handshake followed by basic message framing, layered over TCP.  The
   goal of this technology is to provide a mechanism for browser-based
   applications that need two-way communication with servers that does
   not rely on opening multiple HTTP connections (e.g. using
   XMLHttpRequest or &lt;iframe&gt;s and long polling).

   Please send feedback to the [email-masked] mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17.txt

---

From: Joe Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:38:11 -0400

Woops!  That's not right...

   ws-frame                = frame-fin           ; 1 bit in length
                             frame-rsv1          ; 1 bit in length
                             frame-rsv2          ; 1 bit in length
                             frame-rsv3          ; 1 bit in length
                             frame-opcode        ; 4 bits in length
                             frame-masked        ; 1 bit in length
                             frame-payload-length   ;  7 bits in length
                             [ frame-masking-key ]  ; 16 or 64 bits in length
                             frame-payload-data     ; n * 8 bits in length,
                                                    ; where n >= 0

frame-payload-length is 7, 16 or 64 bits in length.
frame-masking-key is 32 bits in length

The comments next to the actual productions are correct.  Except that frame-opcode-non-control is missing the length comment (4 bits).

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 5:22 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17.txt
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the BiDirectional or Server-
> Initiated HTTP Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> hybi mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hybi

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

---

From: Joe Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 10:39:26 -0400

Actually that's not true either - frame-payload-length is 7, 7+16 or 7+64 bits in length.

> Joe Mason
> Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 10:38 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [hybi] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-
> 17.txt
> 
> The comments next to the actual productions are correct.  Except that
> frame-opcode-non-control is missing the length comment (4 bits).
> 
> This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential
> information, privileged material (including material protected by the
> solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-
> public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than
> the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this
> transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and
> delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination,
> distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended
> recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.