Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:15:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field
	Author(s)       : Joe Touch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-04.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2011-09-16

   The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
   reassembly, and as currently specified is required to be unique
   within the maximum lifetime for all datagrams with a given
   source/destination/protocol tuple. If enforced, this uniqueness
   requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps. Because
   individual connections commonly exceed this speed, it is clear that
   existing systems violate the current specification. This document
   updates the specification of the IPv4 ID field in RFC791, RFC1122,
   and RFC2003 to more closely reflect current practice and to more
   closely match IPv6 so that the field&#39;s value is defined only when a
   datagram is actually fragmented. It also discusses the impact of
   these changes on how datagrams are used.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-04.txt

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:56:52 -0700

Hi, all,

Here's a short summary of the changes.

Joe

----

- a few typo fixes

- removed discussion on ID for ICMP validation (it never got out of the 
proposed stage)

- changed from "Cocode" to "mathematical expression" to avoid needing a 
BSD-stye license (since the example wasn't intended as running code anyway)

- formalized the recommendation that SMF treat IPv4 like IPv6, i.e., use 
hashes rather than the ID field for duplicate packet detection

- expanded the header compression discussion with new examples

- included discussion on use of the ID field for debugging, and 
alternates (which are needed for IPv6 anyway)

- added ACKs for the recent contributors (thanks, BTW)

----

On 9/16/2011 2:15 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Int-area mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area