Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 00:47:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multisegment Pseudowires in Passive Optical Networks
	Author(s)       : Hongyu Li
                          Ruobin Zheng
                          Adrian Farrel
	Filename        : draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-05.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2011-09-01

   This document describes the application of MPLS multi-segment
   pseudowires (MS-PWs) in a dual-technology environment comprising a
   Passive Optical Network (PON) and an MPLS Packet Switched Network
   (PSN).

   PON technology may be used in mobile backhaul networks to support the
   end segments closest to the aggregation devices.  In these cases,
   there may be a very large number of Pseudowire (PW) Terminating
   Provider Edge nodes (T-PEs).  The MPLS control plane could be used to
   provision these end segments, but support for the necessary protocols
   would complicate the management of the T-PEs and would significantly
   increase their expense.  Alternatively, static, or management plane,
   configuration could be used to configure the end segments, but the
   very large number of such segments in a PON places a very heavy
   burden on the network manager.

   This document describes how to set up the end segment of an end-to-
   end MPLS PW over a Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (G-PON) or
   10 Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network (XG-PON) using the G-PON
   and XG-PON management protocol, Optical Network Termination
   Management and Control Interface (OMCI).  This simplifies and speeds
   up PW provisioning compared with manual configuration.

   This document also shows how a MS-PW may be constructed from an end
   segment supported over a PON, and switched to one or more segments
   supported over an MPLS PSN.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-li-pwe3-ms-pw-pon-05.txt