Subject: I-D Action: draft-goodier-mile-data-markers-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 05:36:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Guidelines for Extensions to IODEF for Managed Incident Lightweight Exchange
	Author(s)       : Katherine S. Goodier
                          Damir Rajnovic
	Filename        : draft-goodier-mile-data-markers-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-09-21

   This document provides extensions to Managed Incident Lightweight
   Exchange (MILE).  MILE describes a subset of Incident Object
   Description Exchange Format (IODEF) defined in RFC 5070.  The Data
   Markers extension is aimed at exchanging data tags or markers that
   label categories of information that have significance in the
   exchange of incident information.  These data marker extension is
   aimed at exchanging data tags or markers that label information
   exchanged during incident handling.  Data markers include sensitivity
   and data handling requirements that can prevent possible criminal
   errors in mismarking data.  Both network and information security
   incidents typically result in the loss of service, data, and
   resources both human and system.  Existing extensions to the IODEF-
   Document Class for Reporting Phishing [RFC 5901] have already been
   introduced for network security incidents.  Data markers introduce
   extensions for information security incidents so that network
   providers and Computer Security Incident Response Teams (CSIRT) are
   equipped and ready to assist in communicating and tracing security
   incidents with tools and procedures in place before the occurrence of
   an attack.  Data Markers also support Real-time Inter-network Defense
   (RID) [RFC 6045] that outlines a proactive inter-network
   communication method to facilitate sharing incident handling data
   while integrating existing detection, tracing, source identification,
   and mitigation mechanisms for a complete incident handling solution.
   Combining these capabilities in a communication system provides a way
   to achieve higher security levels on networks.  Policy guidelines for
   handling incidents are recommended and can be agreed upon by a
   consortium using the security recommendations and considerations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-goodier-mile-data-markers-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-goodier-mile-data-markers-00.txt