Subject: I-D Action: draft-koike-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:12:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Temporal and hitless path segment monitoring
	Author(s)       : Alessandro D&#39;Alessandro
                          Manuel Paul
                          Satoshi Ueno
                          Yoshinori Koike
	Filename        : draft-koike-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-04.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   The MPLS transport profile (MPLS-TP) is being standardized to enable
   carrier-grade packet transport and complement converged packet
   network deployments. Among the most attractive features of MPLS-TP
   are OAM functions, which enable network operators or service
   providers to provide various maintenance characteristics, such as
   fault location, survivability, performance monitoring, and
   preliminary or in-service measurements.

   One of the most important mechanisms which is common for transport
   network operation is fault location. A segment monitoring function of
   a transport path is effective in terms of extension of the
   maintenance work and indispensable particularly when the OAM function
   is effective only between end points. However, the current approach
   defined for MPLS-TP for the segment monitoring (SPME) has some fatal
   drawbacks.

   This document elaborates on the problem statement for the Sub-path
   Maintenance Elements (SPMEs) which provides monitoring of a portion
   of a set of transport paths (LSPs or MS-PWs). Based on the problems,
   this document specifies new requirements to consider a new improved
   mechanism of hitless transport path segment monitoring.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union Telecommunications
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-koike-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-koike-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-04.txt