Subject: I-D Action: draft-nadeau-sdn-problem-statement-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:43:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Software Driven Networks Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : Thomas D. Nadeau
                          Ping Pan
	Filename        : draft-nadeau-sdn-problem-statement-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   Software Driven Networks (SDN) is an approach to networks that
   enables applications to converse with and manipulate the control
   software of network devices and resources. SDNs are comprised of
   applications, control software, and interfaces to services that
   are hosted in an overlay or logical/virtual network as well as
   those possibly same components that comprise the underlying
   physical network. Modern applications require the ability
   to easily interact and manipulate these resources. Applications can
   benefit from knowing the available resources and from requesting
   that the network makes the resources available in specific ways.
   To this end, there is a requirement to couple applications more
   closely to the underlying resources on which they depend, consume
   and interact with.

   SDN infrastructure and components exist in most deployed networks
   today. Some of these components are being standardized by various
   organizations, as as well some being already standardized by the
   IETF. However, no standards or open specifications currently exist
   to facilitate end-to-end operation of a software defined network,
   specificlly one that provides open APIs for applications to control
   the network services and functions offered by device control planes
   or other &quot;controlling&quot; software. The goal of this document is to
   outline the problem area of SDN for the IETF.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nadeau-sdn-problem-statement-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nadeau-sdn-problem-statement-01.txt