Subject: I-D Action: draft-nadeau-sdn-framework-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:26:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Framework for Software Defined Networks
	Author(s)       : Thomas D. Nadeau
                          Ping Pan
	Filename        : draft-nadeau-sdn-framework-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   This document presents a framework for Software Defined Networks
   (SDN).  The purpose of the framework is to provide
   an overall picture of the problem space of SDN and to describe the
   relationships among the various components necessary to manipulate
   the components that comprise SDNs.  SDN requires the specification
   of several key components including an &quot;orchestrator&quot; and various
   &quot;plug-ins&quot; between the orchestrator function and network resources.
   In addition to this, an orchestrator will require interconnection
   with standard policy bases, as well as other orchestrators in
   distributed environments or insofar as to support high-availability
   and fault-tolerance capabilities. To this end, several interfaces
   and mechanisms to address issues such as enabling the orchestrator
   to manipulate and interact with the control planes of devices such
   as routers and switches, as well as a discourse between different
   orchestrators will be described.  The intent of this document is
   to outline what each interface needs to accomplish, and to describe
   how these interfaces and mechanisms fit together, while leaving
   their detailed specification to other documents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nadeau-sdn-framework-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nadeau-sdn-framework-01.txt