Subject: I-D Action: draft-pmohapat-idr-fast-conn-restore-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 22:34:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Fast Connectivity Restoration Using BGP Add-path
	Author(s)       : Pradosh Mohapatra
                          Rex Fernando
                          Clarence Filsfils
                          Robert Raszuk
	Filename        : draft-pmohapat-idr-fast-conn-restore-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2011-10-02

   A BGP route defines an association of an address prefix with an &quot;exit
   point&quot; from the current Autonomous System (AS).  If the exit point
   becomes unreachable due to a failure, the route becomes invalid.
   This usually triggers an exchange of BGP control messages after which
   a new BGP route for the given prefix is installed.  However,
   connectivity can be restored more quickly if the router maintains
   precomputed BGP backup routes.  It can then switch to a backup route
   immediately upon learning that an exit point is unreachable, without
   needing to wait for the BGP control messages exchange.  This document
   specifies the procedures to be used by BGP to maintain and distribute
   the precomputed backup routes.  Maintaining these additional routes
   is also useful in promoting load balancing, performing maintenance
   without causing traffic loss, and in reducing churn in the BGP
   control plane.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pmohapat-idr-fast-conn-restore-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pmohapat-idr-fast-conn-restore-02.txt