Subject: I-D Action: draft-vanderstok-core-bc-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 00:57:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoAP Utilization for Building Control
	Author(s)       : Peter van der Stok
                          Kerry Lynn
	Filename        : draft-vanderstok-core-bc-05.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   This draft describes an example use of the RESTful CoAP protocol for
   building automation and control (BAC) applications such as HVAC and
   lighting.  A few basic design assumptions are stated first, then URI
   structure is utilized to define group as well as unicast scope for
   RESTful operations.

   This proposal supports the view that 1) service discovery is
   complementary to resource discovery and facilitates control network
   scaling, and 2) building control is likely to move in steps toward
   all-IP control networks based on the legacy efforts provided by DALI,
   LON, BACnet, ZigBee, and other standards.

   The authority portion of the URI is used to identify a device (group)
   and the resulting DNS name is bound to a unicast (multicast) address.
   Group addressing has consequence for the naming convention of the
   resources of a device.  Naming of URI is building or organization
   dependent, must be flexible, and SHOULD conform to some local
   convention.  Naming of resources MUST be standardised preferrable by
   a building control related organisation.

   It is shown that DNS-based service discovery can be used to locate
   URIs on the scale necessary in large commercial BAC deployments.  The
   relation of DNS-SD and a Resource Directory is discussed.  Finally, a
   method is proposed for mapping URIs onto legacy BAC resources, e.g.,
   to discover application-layer gateways, proxies, and their dependent
   services.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vanderstok-core-bc-05.txt