Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-protocol-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:47:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : Richard Alimi
                          Reinaldo Penno
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-10.txt
	Pages           : 76
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
   of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
   of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
   servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
   missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
   or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
   In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
   optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

   The ALTO Service provides network information (e.g., basic network
   location structure, preferences of network paths) with the goal of
   modifying network resource consumption patterns while maintaining or
   improving application performance.  The basic information of ALTO is
   based on abstract maps of a network.  These maps provide simplified,
   yet enough information of a network for applications to effectively
   utilize.  Additional services are built on top the maps.

   This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
   Although the ALTO service would primarily be provided by the network
   (i.e., the ISP), content providers and third parties could also
   operate this service.  Applications that could use this service are
   those that have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such
   applications are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-10.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-10.txt