Subject: I-D Action: draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:26:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Scalable, Loop-Free BGP FRR using Repair Label
	Author(s)       : Ahmed Bashandy
                          Burjiz Pithawala
                          Jakob Heitz
	Filename        : draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-10-30

Consider a BGP free core scenario. Suppose the provider edge BGP
speakers PE1, PE2,..., PEn know about a prefix P/p via the external
routers CE1, CE2,..., CEm.  If the PE router PEi loses connectivity to
the primary path, it is desirable to immediately restore traffic by
rerouting packets arriving from the core to PEi and destined to the
prefix P/p to one of the other PE routers that advertised P/p, say PEj,
until BGP re-converges. However if the loss of connectivity of PEi to
the primary path also resulted in the loss of connectivity between PEj
and CEj, rerouting a packet before the control plane converges may
result in a loop. In this document, we propose using a repair label for
traffic restoration while avoiding loops. We propose advertising the
&quot;repair&quot; label through BGP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-03.txt