Subject: I-D Action: draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:50:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Scalable BGP FRR Protection against Edge Node Failure
	Author(s)       : Ahmed Bashandy
	Filename        : draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2011-10-28

Consider a BGP free core scenario. Suppose the edge BGP speakers PE1,
PE2,..., PEn know about a prefix P/p via the external routers CE1,
CE2,..., CEm.  If the edge router PEi crashes or becomes totally
disconnected from the core, it desirable for a penultimate hop route
&quot;P&quot; carrying traffic to the failed edge router PEi to immediately
restore traffic by re-tunneling packets originally tunneled to PEi
and destined to the prefix P/p to one of the other edge routers that
advertised P/p, say PEj, until BGP re-converges. In doing so, it is
highly desirable to keep the core BGP-free while not imposing
restrictions on external connectivity. Thus (1) a core router should
not be required to learn any BGP prefix, (2) the size of the
forwarding and routing tables in the core routers should be
independent of the number of BGP prefixes,(3) there should be no
special router (or group of routers) that handles restoring traffic,
and (4) there should be no restrictions on what edge routers
advertise what prefixes. For labeled prefixes, (5) the penultimate
hop router must swap the label advertised by the failed edge router
PEi for the prefix P/p with the label advertised for the same prefix
by the edge router PEj before re-tunneling the packet to PEj

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bashandy-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt