Subject: I-D Action: draft-mcgrew-iv-gen-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:20:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Generation of Deterministic Initialization Vectors (IVs) and Nonces
	Author(s)       : David A. McGrew
	Filename        : draft-mcgrew-iv-gen-01.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2011-10-31

   Many cryptographic algorithms use deterministic IVs, including CTR,
   GCM, CCM, GMAC.  This type of IV is also called a (deterministic)
   nonce.  Deterministic IVs must be distinct, for each fixed key, to
   guarantee the security of the algorithm.  This note describes best
   practices for the generation of such IVs, and summarizes how they are
   generated and used in different protocols.  Some problem areas are
   highlighted, and test considerations are outlined.  This note will be
   useful to implementers of algorithms using deterministic IVs, and to
   protocol or system designers using them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcgrew-iv-gen-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mcgrew-iv-gen-01.txt