Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-grow-va-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 02:08:39 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : FIB Suppression with Virtual Aggregation
	Author(s)       : Paul Francis
                          Xiaohu Xu
                          Hitesh Ballani
                          Dan Jen
                          Robert Raszuk
                          Lixia Zhang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-va-06.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2011-12-30

   The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
   stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
   most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
   hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
   vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.  FIB suppression
   is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by not loading selected
   RIB entries into the FIB.  Virtual Aggregation (VA) allows ISPs to
   shrink the FIBs of any and all routers, easily by an order of
   magnitude with negligible increase in path length and load.  FIB
   suppression can be deployed autonomously by an ISP without requiring
   cooperation between adjacent ISPs, and can co-exist with legacy
   routers in the ISP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-va-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-va-06.txt