Subject: I-D Action: draft-gont-6man-predictable-fragment-id-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 05:59:49 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Security Implications of Predictable Fragment Identification Values
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-gont-6man-predictable-fragment-id-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-12-15

   IPv6 specifies the Fragment Header, which is employed for the
   fragmentation and reassembly mechanisms.  The Fragment Header
   contains an "Identification" field which, together with the IPv6
   Source Address and the IPv6 Destination Address of the packet,
   identifies fragments that correspond to the same original datagram,
   such that they can be reassembled together at the receiving host.
   The only requirement for setting the "Identification" value is that
   it must be different than that of any other fragmented packet sent
   recently with the same Source Address and Destination Address.  Some
   implementations simply use a global counter for setting the Fragment
   Identification field, thus leading to predictable values.  This
   document analyzes the security implications of predictable
   Identification values, and updates RFC 2460 specifying additional
   requirements for setting the Fragment Identification, such that the
   aforementioned security implications are mitigated.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-6man-predictable-fragment-id-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-6man-predictable-fragment-id-00.txt