Subject: I-D Action: draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:18:04 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Considerations on the AS-Level Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
	Author(s)       : Hirochika Asai
                          Hiroshi Esaki
                          Tsuyoshi Momose
	Filename        : draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-03.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2011-12-17

   Application-layer or overlay routing has been applied to various
   distributed systems such as content delivery networks and live media
   streaming systems.  The problems with these systems for the layer 3
   network providers, such as Internet service providers, are that these
   systems utilize higher-cost network resources (e.g., transit links)
   from the viewpoint of the layer 3 network providers but the operators
   have difficulties in controlling and optimizing the traffic of these
   systems because these systems construct their own networks over the
   layer 3 network.  The ALTO Working Group has worked on application-
   layer traffic optimization to fill the gaps in routing policies
   between the layer 3 network and applications by providing the
   underlay network topology and cost information to these systems.
   However, there are considerations on applying application-layer
   traffic optimization techniques to cross-domain traffic because the
   cost is assumed to be configured by each AS although ASes are
   autonomously operated.  This document summarizes general problems
   with overlay networks and considerations on the AS-level application-
   layer traffic optimization from the viewpoint of inter-AS economics.
   The main concerns on the AS-level application-layer traffic
   optimization are unfair policy configuration between distinct
   administrative domains and asymmetric economic policies on transit
   links.  The underlying problem inducing these concerns is that the
   economic policies between interconnected ASes are non-disclosure due
   to commercial contracts.  This document also discusses the
   conceivable approaches to solve the problems and considerations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-03.txt