Subject: I-D Action: draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 16:06:58 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multicast DNS
	Author(s)       : Stuart Cheshire
                          Marc Krochmal
	Filename        : draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt
	Pages           : 72
	Date            : 2011-12-09

   As networked devices become smaller, more portable, and more
   ubiquitous, the ability to operate with less configured
   infrastructure is increasingly important. In particular, the ability
   to look up DNS resource record data types (including, but not limited
   to, host names) in the absence of a conventional managed DNS server
   is useful.

   Multicast DNS (mDNS) provides the ability to perform DNS-like
   operations on the local link in the absence of any conventional
   unicast DNS server. In addition, mDNS designates a portion of the DNS
   namespace to be free for local use, without the need to pay any
   annual fee, and without the need to set up delegations or otherwise
   configure a conventional DNS server to answer for those names.

   The primary benefits of mDNS names are that (i) they require little
   or no administration or configuration to set them up, (ii) they work
   when no infrastructure is present, and (iii) they work during
   infrastructure failures.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns-15.txt