Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-benjamin-extendedcallbackinfo-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 08:45:01 -0800

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : AFS Callback Extensions (Draft 14)
    Author(s)     : M. Benjamin
    Filename      : draft-benjamin-extendedcallbackinfo-02.txt
    Pages         : 36
    Date          : 2011-12-12
    
AFS cache-control strategy is callback (invalidate) based. The 
AFS callback design allows a client to know when an object it 
has cached is no longer consistent, but the callback 
notification message itself provides no specific information 
about the triggering event. This is a protocol inefficiency, as 
in several scenarios it results in unnecessary round-trips to 
file servers to verify file status information, file access 
information, or to fetch file data which has not changed. We 
propose an extension of the callback mechanism to provide 
information about the event(s) triggering a callback, in the 
payload of the callback notification message itself. The 
proposed mechanism eliminates most or all unnecessary 
round-trips imposed by the current callback mechanism, and 
simultaneously allows AFS implementations to (efficiently) 
provide correct semantics in several scenarios involving 
multiple writers (ie, where AFS currently provides incorrect 
semantics).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-benjamin-extendedcallbackinfo-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.