Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-best-external-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:40:42 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Advertisement of the best external route in BGP
	Author(s)       : Pedro Marques
                          Rex Fernando
                          Enke Chen
                          Pradosh Mohapatra
                          Hannes Gredler
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-best-external-05.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2012-01-03

   The current BGP-4 protocol specification [RFC4271] states that the
   selection process chooses the best path for a given route which is
   added to the Loc-Rib and advertised to all peers.

   Previous versions [RFC1771] of the specification defined a different
   rule for Internal BGP Updates.  Given that Internal paths are not re-
   advertised to Internal peers, it was specified that the best of the
   external paths, as determined by the path selection tie breaking
   algorithm, would be advertised to Internal peers.

   This document extends that procedure to operate in environments where
   Route Reflection [RFC4456] or Confederations [RFC5065] are used and
   explains why advertising the additional routing information can
   improve convergence time without causing routing loops.

   Additional benefits include reduction of inter-domain churn and
   avoidance of permanent route oscillation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-best-external-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-best-external-05.txt