Subject: I-D Action: draft-bi-savi-problem-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:16:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Problem Statement of SAVI Beyond the First Hop
	Author(s)       : Jun Bi
                          Bingyang Liu
	Filename        : draft-bi-savi-problem-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2012-01-29

   IETF Source Address Validation Improvements (SAVI) working group is
   chartered for source address validation within the first hop from the
   end hosts, i.e. preventing a node from spoofing the IP source address
   of another node in the same IP link.  For source address validation
   beyond the first hop (SAVI-BF), Ingress Filtering [BCP38]/[BCP84] is
   the best current practice.  However Ingress Filtering may drop
   legitimate packets (false positive) or fail to recognize spoofing
   packets (false negative) in case of asymmetric routing, which is not
   rare under SAVI-BF scenario.

   This document states the possible scenarios in which Ingress
   Filtering may have problems (false positive or false negative), and
   lists five causes of the problems.  These fives causes, we believe,
   are the challeges that need be conquered by SAVI-BF solutions
   (including possible improved version of Ingress Filtering).  We also
   observe that the incentive for Internet Service Providers (ISP) to
   deploy SAVI-BF differs from intra-domain scenario to inter-domain
   scenario, and incenting ISPs to deploy inter-domain SAVI is more
   challenging.  Although not intend to provide any SAVI-BF solution in
   this document, we discuss the philosophy in designing a SAVI-BF
   mechanism.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bi-savi-problem-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bi-savi-problem-01.txt