Subject: I-D Action: draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 11:44:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Extensible XDR Discriminated Union Primitive Type
	Author(s)       : Thomas Keiser
	Filename        : draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-04.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-01-07

   AFS-3 relies upon XDR to carry Rx RPC call payloads.  XDR
   discriminated unions are ill-suited to cases where the protocol needs
   to evolve without inventing new RPCs, i.e., unknown discriminant
   values cause the entire XDR payload to fail the decoding step.  While
   this can be circumvented through the use of opaque payloads (and
   recursive XDR invocations), such solutions are inelegant and
   difficult to implement.  This memo defines a new XDR primitive type,
   "ext-union", which is derived from the XDR discriminated union
   primitive type, but with two key variations: 1) each leg contains a
   length field, and 2) no default leg is supported.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-keiser-afs3-xdr-union-04.txt