Subject: I-D Action: draft-marocco-alto-next-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:22:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Extending the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Protocol
	Author(s)       : Enrico Marocco
                          Vijay K. Gurbani
	Filename        : draft-marocco-alto-next-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-01-20

   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) protocol is
   designed to allow entities with knowledge about the network
   infrastructure to export such information to applications that need
   to choose one or more endpoints to connect to among large sets of
   logically equivalent ones.  The primary use case for the ALTO
   protocol was peer-to-peer applications for file sharing, video
   streaming and realtime communications, usually running on end-user
   devices.  However, a number of other applications executing in more
   controlled environments may also benefit from the information that
   can be exported through the ALTO protocol.  The use cases that have
   received significant attention include Content Delivery Networks
   (CDNs), distributed applications running in large datacenters, as
   well as systems made of inter-communicating ALTO servers.

   To apply ALTO to these new use cases, this document aims to foster a
   discussion to determine if, and how, the ALTO protocol could be
   extended to provide a simple yet useful view of a computational
   environment that goes beyond the static (or near static) network
   topology and cost map information.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-marocco-alto-next-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-marocco-alto-next-00.txt