Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-v6ops-v6nd-problems-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:16:43 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Operational Neighbor Discovery Problems
	Author(s)       : Igor Gashinsky
                          Joel Jaeggli
                          Warren Kumari
	Filename        : draft-ietf-v6ops-v6nd-problems-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-01-25

   In IPv4, subnets are generally small, made just large enough to cover
   the actual number of machines on the subnet.  In contrast, the
   default IPv6 subnet size is a /64, a number so large it covers
   trillions of addresses, the overwhelming number of which will be
   unassigned.  Consequently, simplistic implementations of Neighbor
   Discovery (ND) can be vulnerable to deliberate or accidental denial
   of service, whereby they attempt to perform address resolution for
   large numbers of unassigned addresses.  Such denial of attacks can be
   launched intentionally (by an attacker), or result from legitimate
   operational tools or accident conditions.  As a result of these
   vulnerabilities, new devices may not be able to "join" a network, it
   may be impossible to establish new IPv6 flows, and existing IPv6
   transported flows may be interrupted.

   This document describes the potential for DOS in detail and suggests
   possible implementation improvements as well as operational
   mitigation techniques that can in some cases be used to protect
   against or at least alleviate the impact of such attacks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6nd-problems-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6nd-problems-03.txt