Subject: I-D Action: draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:36:24 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : List-Id: A Structured Field and Namespace for the Identification of Mailing Lists
	Author(s)       : S. Moonesamy
	Filename        : draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-01-21

   Software that handles electronic mailing list messages (servers and
   user agents) needs a way to reliably identify messages that belong to
   a particular mailing list.  With the advent of list header fields, it
   has become even more important to provide a unique identifier for a
   mailing list regardless of the particular host that runs the mailing
   list manager at any given time.

   The List-Id header field provides a standard location for such an
   identifier.  In addition, a namespace for mailing list identifiers
   based on fully qualified domain names is described.  This namespace
   is intended to guarantee uniqueness for list owners who require it,
   while allowing for a less rigorous namespace for experimental and
   personal use.

   By including the List-Id field, mailing list managers can make it
   easier for mail user agents to provide automated tools for users to
   perform mailing list functions.  The mailing list identifier can
   serve as a key for automated processing tasks.  The List-Sequence
   header field provides a standard location for identifying the
   sequence position of an individual message for a mailing list.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moonesamy-rfc2919bis-02.txt