Subject: I-D Action: draft-rverma-media-multihoming-over-sctp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 14:02:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Media Multihoming in SIP Sessions
	Author(s)       : Rohit Verma
	Filename        : draft-rverma-media-multihoming-over-sctp-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2012-01-09

This document discusses the requirements and procedures to achieve the
multihoming of media for voice over IP sessions using the transport layer
protocol as signaling Control Transmission Protocol.

Media is an essential part of any voice over IP session. SIP (RFC 3261)
is a text based signaling protocol and Multihoming using SIP can be
achieved by using the SCTP as a transport protocol (RFC 4168),
therefore the application level resiliency can be guaranteed even in
case of any middle node or terminal failures. But any voice over IP or
multimedia session is nearly insignificant, if the media path is broken
during a call and is waiting for a timeout which further shall lead to a
call drop.A complete solution to Multihoming can be achieved if a system
is capable of a performing the failovers  at both application and media
plane and still maintaining the session irrespective of the application
or media path failures or at least to detect a signaling or media path
failure and terminate the session rather than waiting for timeouts. The
requirement of Multihoming in media can also be derived from the fact
that in any voice, video or data session, the signaling and call setup
time use to be incomparably short than that of real media session at
media plane. Therefore providing the resiliency at the signaling level
does not provide the guaranteed and best effort service from a media
session point of view as not only signaling but media is an integral
part of it.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rverma-media-multihoming-over-sctp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rverma-media-multihoming-over-sctp-00.txt