Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-reqs-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 07:31:03 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Requirements
	Author(s)       : Sebastian Kiesel
                          Stefano Previdi
                          Martin Stiemerling
                          Richard Woundy
                          Yang Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-reqs-13.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2012-01-16

   Many Internet applications are used to access resources, such as
   pieces of information or server processes, which are available in
   several equivalent replicas on different hosts.  This includes, but
   is not limited to, peer-to-peer file sharing applications.  The goal
   of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to provide
   guidance to applications, which have to select one or several hosts
   from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired resource.
   This guidance shall be based on parameters that affect performance
   and efficiency of the data transmission between the hosts, e.g., the
   topological distance.  The ultimate goal is to improve performance
   (or Quality of Experience) in the application while reducing resource
   consumption in the underlying network infrastructure.

   This document enumerates requirements for specifying, assessing, or
   comparing protocols and implementations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-reqs-13.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-reqs-13.txt