Subject: I-D Action: draft-janapath-intarea-traceflow-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 21:27:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Traceflow
	Author(s)       : Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Richard Groves
                          Peter Hoose
	Filename        : draft-janapath-intarea-traceflow-00.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2012-01-24

   This document describes a new OAM protocol - TraceFlow that captures
   information pertaining to a traffic flow along the path that the flow
   takes through the network. TraceFlow is ECMP and link-aggregation
   aware and captures the information about constituent members through
   which the traffic flow passes. TraceFlow gathers information that is
   relevant to the flow such as outgoing interface Layer 3 address,
   Next-hop to which the packet of the flow is forwarded, effect of
   network policies such as access control lists on the flow. This draft
   requires the Traceflow protocol to be processed by Layer 3 devices
   only. Devices such as Layer 2 devices, MPLS LERs/LSRs along the way
   are passed through without any processing as if in a pass-through
   mode. IP tunnels such as IP-in-IP, IP-in-GRE mechanisms are expected
   to pass the Traceflow packets through them using the pass through
   mode.  For achieving its purpose Traceflow advocates the use of a
   specific UDP destination port to be assigned from IANA.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-janapath-intarea-traceflow-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-janapath-intarea-traceflow-00.txt