Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:33:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reducing Power Consumption using BGP
	Author(s)       : Balaji Venkat Venkat
                          Gaurav Raina
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2012-02-09

   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of the Internet using a collaborative approach between
   Autonomous Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS
   and then use Traffic Engineering (TE) techniques to route the packets
   along the paths. Such low-power paths can be identified by using the
   available power-to-bandwidth (PWR) ratio as an additional constraint
   in the Constrained Shortest Path First (CSPF) algorithm. For re-
   routing the data traffic through these low-power paths, the Inter-AS
   Traffic Engineered Label Switched Path (TE-LSP) that spans multiple
   AS can be used. Extensions to the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) can
   be used to disseminate the PWR ratio metric among the AS thereby
   creating a collaborative approach to reduce the power consumption.
   Since calculating the low-power paths can be computationally
   intensive, a graph-labeling heuristic is also proposed. This
   heuristic reduces the computational complexity but may provide a sub-
   optimal low-power path. The feasibility of our approaches is
   illustrated by applying our algorithm to a subset of the Internet.
   The techniques proposed in this paper for the Inter-AS power
   reduction require minimal modifications to the existing features of
   the Internet. The proposed techniques can be extended to other levels
   of Internet hierarchy, such as Intra-AS paths, through suitable
   modifications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-00.txt