Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:49:45 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Kerberos Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Deprecate DES support for Kerberos
	Author(s)       : Love Hornquist Astrand
                          Tom Yu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-02-03

   The Kerberos 5 network authentication protocol originally used the
   Data Encryption Standard (DES) for encryption.  Almost 30 years it
   introduced the first DES standard, the National Institute of
   Standards and Technology (NIST) finally withdrew the DES standard in
   2005, reflecting a long-established consensus that DES no longer
   provides adequate security.  In 2006, it cost less than EUR 10,000 to
   build a machine to brute force DES keys in an average of 8.7 days.
   By 2008, it was possible to buy commercial hardware that breaks DES
   keys in less than a day on average.  DES is long past its sell-by
   date.  Accordingly, this document updates RFC1964, RFC4120, and
   RFC4121 to deprecate the use of DES in Kerberos.  Because the
   original Kerberos 5 specification, RFC1510 (obsoleted by RFC 4120),
   supports only DES, this document also reclassifies RFC1510 as
   Historic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-00.txt