Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 15:28:32 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Threat Model for BGP Path Security
	Author(s)       : Stephen Kent
                          Andrew Chi
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-01.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2012-02-03

   This document describes a threat model for BGP path security
   (BGPSEC).  It assumes the context established by the SIDR WG charter,
   as of April 19, 2011.  The charter established two goals for the SIDR
   work:

   o  Enabling an AS to verify the authorization of an origin AS to
      originate a specified set of prefixes

   o  Enabling an AS to verify that the AS-PATH represented in a route
      matches the path travelled by the NLRI for the route

   The charter further mandates that SIDR build upon the Resource Public
   Key Infrastructure (RPKI), the first product of the WG.  Consistent
   with the charter, this threat model includes an analysis of the RPKI,
   and focuses on the ability of an AS to verify the authenticity of the
   AS path info received in a BGP update.

   The model assumes that BGP path security is achieved through the
   application of digital signatures to AS_Path Info.  The document
   characterizes classes of potential adversaries that are considered to
   be threats, and examines classes of attacks that might be launched
   against BGPSEC.  It concludes with brief discussion of residual
   vulnerabilities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-threats-01.txt