Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 15:32:43 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Kerberos Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Deprecate DES, "export strength" RC4, and other weak cryptographic algorithms in Kerberos
	Author(s)       : Love Hornquist Astrand
                          Tom Yu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-03.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2012-02-16

   The Kerberos 5 network authentication protocol, originally specified
   in RFC1510, can use the Data Encryption Standard (DES) for
   encryption.  Almost 30 years after first publishing DES, the National
   Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) finally withdrew the
   standard in 2005, reflecting a long-established consensus that DES is
   insufficiently secure.  By 2008, commercial hardware costing less
   than USD 15,000 could break DES keys in less than a day on average.
   DES is long past its sell-by date.  Accordingly, this document
   updates RFC1964, RFC4120, RFC4121, and RFC4757 to deprecate the use
   of DES, "export strength" RC4, and other weak cryptographic
   algorithms in Kerberos.  Because RFC1510 (obsoleted by RFC4120)
   supports only DES, this document reclassifies RFC1510 as Historic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-krb-wg-des-die-die-die-03.txt