Subject: I-D Action: draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:09:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Laminar TCP and the case for refactoring TCP congestion control
	Author(s)       : Matt Mathis
	Filename        : draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-02-21

   The primary state variables used by all TCP congestion control
   algorithms, cwnd and ssthresh are heavily overloaded, carrying
   different semantics in different states.  This leads to excess
   implementation complexity and poorly defined behaviors under some
   combinations of events, such as loss recovery during cwnd validation.
   We propose a new framework for TCP congestion control, and to recast
   current standard algorithms to use new state variables.  This new
   framework will not generally change the behavior of any of the
   primary congestion control algorithms when invoked in isolation but
   will to permit new algorithms with better behaviors in many corner
   cases, such as when two distinct primary algorithms are invoked
   concurrently.  It will also foster the creation of new algorithms to
   address some events that are poorly treated by today's standards.
   For the vast majority of traditional algorithms the transformation to
   the new state variables is completely straightforward.  However, the
   resulting implementation will technically be in violation of all
   existing TCP standards, even if it is fully compliant with their
   principles and intent.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-00.txt