Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 19:15:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect
	Author(s)       : Yiqun Cai
                          Liming Wei
                          Heidi Ou
                          Vishal Arya
                          Sunil Jethwani
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-02.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-02-02

   A PIM router uses the RPF procedure to select an upstream interface
   and router to build forwarding state.  When there are equal cost
   multiple paths (ECMP), existing implementations often use hash
   algorithms to select a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread
   of traffic among the ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This
   usually leads to inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.
   This document introduces the ECMP Redirect, a mechanism to improve
   the RPF procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP path selection to be
   based on administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission
   delays, path preferences and routing metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-02.txt