Subject: I-D Action: draft-templin-aero-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:25:27 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Asymmetric Extended Route Optimization (AERO)
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-templin-aero-09.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2012-02-28

   Nodes attached to common multi-access link types (e.g., multicast-
   capable, shared media, non-broadcast multiple access (NBMA), etc.)
   can exchange packets as neighbors on the link, but may not always be
   provisioned with sufficient routing information for optimal neighbor
   selection.  Such nodes should therefore be able to discover a trusted
   intermediate router on the link that provides both forwarding
   services to reach off-link destinations and redirection services to
   inform the node of an on-link neighbor that is closer to the final
   destination.  This redirection can provide a useful route
   optimization, since the triangular path from the ingress link
   neighbor, to the intermediate router, and finally to the egress link
   neighbor may be considerably longer than the direct path from ingress
   to egress.  However, ordinary redirection may lead to operational
   issues on certain link types and/or in certain deployment scenarios.
   This document therefore introduces an Asymmetric Extended Route
   Optimization (AERO) capability that addresses the issues.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-aero-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-templin-aero-09.txt