Subject: I-D Action: draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:18:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Generic Connection Admission Control (GCAC) Algorithm Specification for IP/MPLS Networks
	Author(s)       : Gerald Ash
                          Dave McDysan
	Filename        : draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-04.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2012-02-25

   This document presents a generic connection admission control (GCAC)
   reference model and algorithm for IP/MPLS-based networks.  Service
   provider (SP) IP/MPLS networks need an MPLS GCAC mechanism, as
   one motivational example, to reject voice over Internet Protocol
   (VoIP) calls when additional calls would adversely affect calls
   already in progress.  Without MPLS GCAC, connections on congested
   links will suffer degraded quality.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm can be
   optionally implemented in vendor equipment and deployed by service
   providers.  MPLS GCAC interoperates between vendor equipment and
   across multiple service provider domains.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm
   uses available standard mechanisms for MPLS based networks, such as
   RSVP, DSTE, PCE, NSIS, DiffServ, and OSPF.  The MPLS GCAC algorithm
   does not include aspects of CAC that might be considered vendor
   proprietary implementations, such as detailed path selection
   mechanisms.  MPLS GCAC functions are implemented in a distributed
   manner to deliver the objective QoS for specified QoS constraints.
   The objective is that the source is able to compute a source route
   with high likelihood that MPLS GCAC via elements along the selected
   path will in fact admit the request.  In some cases (e.g., multiple
   AS) this objective cannot always be met, but the document summarizes
   methods that partially meet this objective.  MPLS GCAC is applicable
   to any service or flow that must meet an objective QoS (delay,
   jitter, packet loss rate) for a specified quantity of traffic.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ash-gcac-algorithm-spec-04.txt