Subject: I-D Action: draft-hoffman-dane-smime-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:18:33 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME
	Author(s)       : Paul Hoffman
                          Jakob Schlyter
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-dane-smime-02.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2012-02-22

   S/MIME uses certificates for authenticating and encrypting messages.
   Users want their mail user agents to securely associate a certificate
   with the sender of an encrypted and/or signed message.  DNSSEC
   provides a mechanism for a zone operator to sign DNS information
   directly.  This way, bindings of certificates to users within a
   domain are asserted not by external entities, but by the entities
   that operate the DNS.  This document describes how to use secure DNS
   to associate an S/MIME user's certificate with the intended domain
   name.

   IMPORTANT NOTE: This draft is intentionally sketchy.  It is meant as
   a possible starting point for the DANE WG if it wants to consider
   making a protocol similar to TLSA, as described in
   draft-ietf-dane-protocol, but that applies to S/MIME.  The WG may or
   may not want to adopt such work, or if it does, may want to use a
   very different scheme from the one described here.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-dane-smime-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-dane-smime-02.txt