Subject: I-D Action: draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 07:57:30 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Improving DNS Service Availability by Using Long TTL Values
	Author(s)       : Vasileios Pappas
                          Eric Osterweil
	Filename        : draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-04.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-02-23

   Due to the hierarchical tree structure of the Domain Name System
   [RFC1034][RFC1035], losing all of the authoritative servers that
   serve a zone can disrupt services to not only that zone but all of
   its descendants.  This problem is particularly severe if all the
   authoritative servers of the root zone, or of a top level domain's
   zone, fail.  Although proper placement of secondary servers, as
   discussed in [RFC2182], can be an effective means against isolated
   failures, it is insufficient to protect the DNS service against a
   Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack.  This document proposes
   to reduce the impact of DDoS attacks against top level DNS servers by
   setting long TTL values for NS records and their associated A and
   AAAA records.  Our proposed changes are purely operational and can be
   deployed incrementally.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pappas-dnsop-long-ttl-04.txt