Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:52:23 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Congestion and Pre-Congestion Notification Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Toby Moncaster
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-09.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2012-03-11

   The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
   quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
   The overall rate of the PCN-traffic is metered on every link in the
   PCN domain, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
   configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes pass information about
   these PCN-marks to decision points which then decide whether to admit
   or block new flow requests or to terminate some already-admitted
   flows during serious pre-congestion.

   This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
   header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   codepoints within a PCN-domain.  The PCN wire protocol for non-IP
   protocol headers will need to be defined elsewhere.  Nonetheless,
   this document clarifies the PCN encoding for MPLS in an informational
   Appendix.  The encoding for IP provides for up to three different PCN
   marking states using a single DSCP: Not-marked (NM), Threshold-marked
   (ThM) and Excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence, it is called the
   3-in-1 PCN encoding.  This document obsoletes RFC5696.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-09.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-09.txt