Subject: I-D Action: draft-mccann-dmm-flatarch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 07:32:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Authentication and Mobility Management in a Flat Architecture
	Author(s)       : Peter J. McCann
	Filename        : draft-mccann-dmm-flatarch-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-03-02

   Today's mobility management schemes make use of a hierarchy of
   tunnels from a relatively fixed anchor point, through one or more
   intermediate nodes, to reach the MN's current point of attachment.
   These schemes suffer from poor performance, scalability, and failure
   modes due to the centralization and statefulness of the anchor
   point(s).  The dmm (Distributed Mobility Management) working group is
   currently chartered to investigate alternative solutions that will
   provide greater performance, scalability, and robustness through the
   distribution of mobility anchors.  This document is an input to the
   dmm discussion.  It outlines a problem statement for the existing
   mobility management techniques and goes on to propose (high-level)
   solutions to two of the most vexing problems: MN authentication and
   mobility management in a fully distributed, flat (non-hierarchical)
   access network.  These two aspects are often treated separately in a
   layered architecture, but we argue there are important advantages to
   considering how these two functions can work in tandem to provide a
   simple and robust framework for the design of a wireless Internet
   Service Provider network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mccann-dmm-flatarch-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mccann-dmm-flatarch-00.txt