Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:32:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reducing Power Consumption using BGP path selection
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
                          Vasan Srini
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2012-03-28

   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of the Internet using a collaborative approach between
   Autonomous Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS
   and then use suitable modifications to the BGP path selection
   algorithm to route the packets along the paths. Such low-power paths
   can be identified by using the available power-to-bandwidth (PWR)
   ratio as an additional parameter in the BGP Path Selection Algorithm.
   For re-routing the data traffic through these low-power paths, the
   power based best path is selected and advertised as per the modified
   algorithm proposed in this document. Extensions to the Border Gateway
   Protocol (BGP) can be used to disseminate the PWR ratio metric among
   the AS thereby creating a collaborative approach to reduce the power
   consumption. The feasibility of our approaches is illustrated by
   applying our algorithm to a subset of the Internet. The techniques
   proposed in this paper for the Inter-AS power reduction require
   minimal modifications to the existing features of the Internet. The
   proposed techniques can be extended to other levels of Internet
   hierarchy, such as Intra-AS paths, through suitable modifications.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-bgp-power-path-00.txt