Subject: I-D Action: draft-ananth-middisc-tcpopt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 16:32:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TCP option for transparent Middlebox discovery
	Author(s)       : Andrew Knutsen
                          Anantha Ramaiah
	Filename        : draft-ananth-middisc-tcpopt-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-03-02

   This document describes a TCP option for use by middleboxes to
   facilitate transparent detection of other middleboxes along the path
   of the TCP connection during the connection initiation phase.  The
   option has no effect if an appropriate middlebox is not present on
   the path.  The TCP end hosts are unaware of this option and its usage
   is strictly for use by TCP middleboxes.  Multiple vendors of WAN
   optimization products have used similar (but incompatible and
   proprietary) mechanisms since at least 2004.  Those existing vendor
   systems use multiple TCP option code points, all of which are
   officially unassigned by IANA.  The goal of this memo is to
   standardize a single TCP option code point for this functionality.
   This memo is the product of discussion among some of the vendors
   currently using incompatible proprietary TCP options for middlebox
   discovery.  It is a non-goal of this memo to achieve interoperability
   of middlebox discovery between multiple vendors.  It needs to be
   noted that an earlier document
   [I-D.knutsen-tcpm-middlebox-discovery], is re-written as the current
   document after agreement from multiple vendors.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ananth-middisc-tcpopt-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ananth-middisc-tcpopt-00.txt