Subject: I-D Action: draft-uttaro-idr-bgp-persistence-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:32:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : BGP Persistence
	Author(s)       : James Uttaro
                          Adam Simpson
                          Rob Shakir
                          Clarence Filsfils
                          Pradosh Mohapatra
                          Bruno Decraene
                          John Scudder
                          Yakov Rekhter
	Filename        : draft-uttaro-idr-bgp-persistence-01.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   For certain AFI/SAFI combinations it is desirable that a BGP speaker
   be able to retain routing state learned over a session that has
   terminated.  By maintaining routing state forwarding may be
   preserved.  This technique works effectively as long as the AFI/SAFI
   is primarily used to realize services that do not depend on
   exchanging BGP routing state with peers or customers.  There may be
   exceptions based upon the amount and frequency of route exchange that
   allow for this technique.  Generally the BGP protocol tightly couples
   the viability of a session and the routing state that is learned over
   it.  This is driven by the history of the protocol and it's
   application in the internet space as a vehicle to exchange routing
   state between administrative authorities.  This document addresses
   new services whose requirements for persistence diverge from the
   Internet routing point of view.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-uttaro-idr-bgp-persistence-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-uttaro-idr-bgp-persistence-01.txt