Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-pim-power-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 23:43:05 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Building power optimal Multicast Trees
	Author(s)       : Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-pim-power-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-03-01

   Power consumption in multicast replication operations is an area of
   concern and choosing suitable replication points that can decrease
   power consumption overall assumes importance. Multicast replication
   capacity is an attribute of every line card of major routers and
   multi-layer switches that support multicast in the core of an
   Internet Service Provider (ISP) or an enterprise network.

   Currently multicast replication points on Point-to-Multipoint
   Multicast Distribution trees consume power while delivering multiple
   output streams of data from a given input stream. The multicast
   distribution trees are constructed without any regard for a proper
   placement of the replication points and consequent optimal power
   consumption at these points.

   This results in overloading certain routers while under-utilizing
   others. An optimal usage of these replication resources could reduce
   power consumption on these routers bringing power consumption to
   optimality. In this paper, we propose a mechanism by which Multicast
   Distribution Trees are constructed for carrying multicast traffic
   across multiple routers within a given network. We propose that these
   Multicast Distribution Trees be built by using the information
   pertaining to power-replication capacity ratio available with fine
   grained components such as multicast capable line-cards of routers
   and multi-layer switches deployed within a network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-pim-power-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-pim-power-00.txt