Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-18.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:39:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Extension to the Session Description Protocol (SDP) and Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) for Media Loopback
	Author(s)       : Hadriel Kaplan
                          Kaynam Hedayat
                          Nagarjuna Venna
                          Paul E. Jones
                          Arjun Roychowdhury
                          Chelliah SivaChelvan
                          Nathan Stratton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-18.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2012-03-25

    The wide deployment of Voice over IP (VoIP), Text and Video over IP
    services has introduced new challenges in managing and maintaining
    real-time voice/text/video quality, reliability, and overall
    performance.  In particular, media delivery is an area that needs
    attention.  One method of meeting these challenges is monitoring
    the media delivery performance by looping media back to the
    transmitter.  This is typically referred to as "active monitoring"
    of services.   Media loopback is especially popular in ensuring the
    quality of transport to the edge of a given VoIP, Real-time Text or
    Video over IP service.  Today in networks that deliver real-time
    media, short of running 'ping' and 'traceroute' to the edge,
    administrators are left without the necessary tools to actively
    monitor, manage, and diagnose quality issues with their service.
    The extension defined herein adds new SDP media attributes, which
    enable establishment of media sessions where the media is looped
    back to the transmitter. Such media sessions will serve as
    monitoring and troubleshooting tools by providing the means for
    measurement of more advanced VoIP, Real-time Text and Video over IP
    performance metrics.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-18.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mmusic-media-loopback-18.txt