Subject: I-D Action: draft-jennings-vipr-overview-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:04:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Verification Involving PSTN Reachability: Requirements and Architecture Overview
	Author(s)       : Mary Barnes
                          Cullen Jennings
                          Jonathan Rosenberg
                          Marc Petit-Huguenin
	Filename        : draft-jennings-vipr-overview-03.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   The Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) has seen widespread deployment
   within individual domains, typically supporting voice and video
   communications.  Though it was designed from the outset to support
   inter-domain federation over the public Internet, such federation has
   not materialized.  The primary reasons for this are the complexities
   of inter-domain phone number routing and concerns over security.
   This document reviews this problem space, outlines requirements, and
   then describes a new model and technique for inter-domain federation
   with SIP involving the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN),
   called Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (VIPR).  VIPR
   addresses the problems that have prevented inter-domain federation
   over the Internet.  It provides fully distributed inter-domain
   routing for phone numbers, authorized mappings from phone numbers to
   domains, a new technique for automated SIP anti-spam, and privacy of
   number ownership, all while preserving the trapezoidal model of SIP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-vipr-overview-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jennings-vipr-overview-03.txt