Subject: I-D Action: draft-freeman-plasma-requirements-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:34:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Requirements for Message Access Control
	Author(s)       : Trevor Freeman
                          Jim Schaad
                          Patrick Patterson
	Filename        : draft-freeman-plasma-requirements-00.txt
	Pages           : 49
	Date            : 2012-03-05

   There are many situations where organizations want to protect
   information with robust access control, either for implementation of
   intellectual property right protections, enforcement of information
   contractual confidentiality agreements or because of externally
   imposed legal regulations.  The Enhanced Security Services (ESS) for
   S/MIME defines an access control mechanism which is enforced by the
   recipient's client after decryption of the message. The ESS mechanism
   therefore is dependent on the correct access policy configuration of
   every recipient's client. This mechanism also provides full access to
   the data to all recipients prior to the access control check, this is
   considered to be inadequate for due to the difficulty in
   demonstrating policy compliance.

   This document lays out the deficiencies of the current ESS security
   label, and presents requirements for new model for doing access
   control to messages where the access check is performed prior to
   message content decryption. This new model also does not require
   policy configuration on the client to simplify deployment and
   compliance verification.

   The proposed model additionally provides a method where non-X.509
   certificate credentials can be used for encryption/decryption of
   S/MIME messages.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freeman-plasma-requirements-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-freeman-plasma-requirements-00.txt