Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 13:20:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace Definition Mechanisms
	Author(s)       : Alfred Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-02.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   Uniform Resource Names (URNs) are intended to serve as persistent,
   location-independent, resource identifiers.  To structure and
   organize their usage, the URN syntax (RFC 2141bis) specifies a
   hierarchy that divides the set of possible URNs into "URN Namespaces"
   that can be individually defined and managed.  URN Namespaces in
   particular serve to map existing identifier systems into the URN
   system and thereby make available generic, network-based resolution
   services for the identified documents, artifacts, and other objects
   (and metadata related to them).

   To achive these goals, URN Namespaces need to be specified in a
   comparable manner, and their Namespace Identifiers (NIDs) need to be
   registered with IANA, so that naming conflicts are avoided and
   implementers of services can follow a structured approach in support
   of various namespaces, guided by the registry to the related
   documents and the particularities of specific namespaces, as
   described in these Namespace registration documents.

   This RFC serves as a guideline for authors of URN Namespace
   definition and registration documents and the process to be followed
   to register a URN Namespace with IANA.  It describes the essential
   content of such documents and how they shall be structured to allow
   readers familar with the scheme to quickly assess the properties of a
   specific URN Namespace.

   This document is a companion document to the revised URN Syntax
   specification, RFC 2141bis; it supersedes and replaces RFC 3406.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-02.txt