Subject: I-D Action: draft-nieminen-core-service-discovery-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:24:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Constrained Application Autoconfiguration
	Author(s)       : Johanna Nieminen
                          Basavaraj Patil
                          Teemu Savolainen
                          Markus Isomaki
                          Zach Shelby
                          Carles Gomez
                          Mehmet Ersue
	Filename        : draft-nieminen-core-service-discovery-02.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-03-12

   The number and types of devices that are Internet connected continues
   to grow.  Sensors, appliances, utility meters, medical devices etc.
   are Internet connected for various reasons.  Many of these newer
   devices are constrained in terms of processing power, memory,
   communication capability and, available power.  Devices such as
   sensors and similar very small devices often lack a proper user
   interface and hence configuring even the most basic parameters for
   enabling Internet connectivity on these is extremely difficult.  Some
   of the existing configuration protocols can help in autoconfiguring
   various parameters of the IP stack needed for Internet connectivity.
   However this is not sufficient if the devices are using a web service
   application.  There is a need for additional information such as
   service provider name and username/password etc. for authentication
   etc.  A configuration protocol solution for resource constrained
   devices is needed in order to enable the potential enabled by
   Internet connectivity.  This document outlines the use cases and
   requirements for user friendly configuration of such information on a
   constrained device, and specifies a Constrained Application Protocol
   (CoAP) based mechanism to meet the requirements.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nieminen-core-service-discovery-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nieminen-core-service-discovery-02.txt