Subject: I-D Action: draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 03:57:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : VLAN based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Frames
	Author(s)       : Yizhou Li
                          Weiguo Hao
                          Somnath Chatterjee
	Filename        : draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-03-05

   TRILL uses distribution trees for multi-destination traffic. In fat
   tree structure, it is very possible that the distance from an ingress
   RBridge to multiple tree roots are the same. Therefore the minimum
   distance comparison may not help much in the tree selection decision.
   Multiple trees can be used by an ingress RBridge. For any RBridge RBn,
   if RBn has downstream receivers of VLAN x in a distribution tree t,
   there will be an entry of (t, x, port list) in the multicast
   forwarding table on RBn. If there are n trees and m VLANs, the
   multicast forwarding table size on RBn is typically n*m entries. The
   value of m is up to 4096 and n is up to the total number of
   distribution trees in the campus. If finer granularity filtering such
   as L2/L3 multicast address is used, then the multicast forwarding
   table size further increases dramatically. TRILL multicast forwarding
   table size is limited in hardware/silicon implements and sometimes L3
   multicasting shares the same table with it. This document specifies a
   VLAN based tree selection mechanism to reduce the multicast
   forwarding table size. No data plane change is required.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-00.txt