Subject: I-D Action: draft-ivancic-mobopts-modemlpa-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 16:36:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Modem Link Properties Advertisement Protocol
	Author(s)       : William Ivancic
                          Lloyd Wood
                          Rajiv Asati
                          Daniel Floreani
                          Dan Shell
	Filename        : draft-ivancic-mobopts-modemlpa-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2012-04-12

   Nework devices and applications are increasingly connected to a
   variety of smart modems whose incoming and outgoing link rates can be
   varied over time to suit the channel characteristics.  Such rate
   changes can result from use of adaptive coding and modulation.  The
   link rate and conditions offered by the modem to connected devices
   therefore vary.  In order for connected devices and applications to
   get the most out of the modem's link capacity, it is necessary for
   the applications and connected devices to condition traffic.  Thus,
   they need some knowledge of the modem's link conditions.  This
   document describes one simple method for a modem to advertise link
   rate and other characteristics, via UDP messages, and discusses
   alternative approaches to communicating this information.  While the
   mechanism in this document is described in the context of a modem, it
   can also be broadly applied to other scenarios such as cryptographic
   devices.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ivancic-mobopts-modemlpa-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ivancic-mobopts-modemlpa-01.txt