Subject: I-D Action: draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:34:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Simple Method for Segmenting Multicast Tunnels for Multicast VPNs
	Author(s)       : Maria Napierala
                          Eric C. Rosen
	Filename        : draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-04-20

   To provide Multicast VPN (MVPN) Service, Service Providers (SPs) need
   to instantiate multicast tunnels (known as "P-tunnels") that enable
   the Provider Edge (PE) routers of a given VPN to transmit multicast
   packets to each other.  Some SPs organize their networks in a
   hierarchical manner, with the PE routers in "edge areas", and the
   edge areas connected to each other via a "core area". A P-tunnel that
   connects PE routers in different edge areas can be thought of as
   having three segments: a segment through one edge area, a segment
   through the core area, and a segment through the second edge area.
   It is desirable to preserve the independence of the core area by
   allowing it to use a different tunneling technology than that used in
   the edge areas.  However, it is not desirable for the core area
   Border Routers (BRs) to participate in the MVPN-specific signaling,
   or even to have any knowledge of which MVPNs are in the edge areas
   that attach to it.  This document specifies a simple method for
   segmenting MVPN P-tunnels at the BRs, subject to these constraints.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-l3vpn-mvpn-segments-03.txt