Subject: I-D Action: draft-duker-as2-reliability-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:35:23 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Operational Reliability for EDIINT AS2
	Author(s)       : John Duker
                          Dale Moberg
	Filename        : draft-duker-as2-reliability-11.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-04-16

The goal of this document is to define approaches to achieve a "once
and only once" delivery of messages. The EDIINT AS2 protocol [AS2] is
implemented by a number of software tools on a variety of platforms
with varying capabilities and with varying network service quality.
Although the AS2 protocol defines a unique "Message-ID", current
implementations of AS2 do not provide a standard method to prevent
the same message (re-transmitted by the initial sender) from reaching
back-end business applications at the initial receiver. TCP
underpinnings of HTTP over which AS2 operates generally provide a
good quality of network connectivity, but experience indicates a need
to be able to compensate for both transient server and socket
exceptions, including "Connection refused" as well as "Server busy."
In addition, difficulties with server availability, stability, and
loads can result in reduced operational reliability. This document
describes some ways to compensate for exceptions and enhance the
reliability of AS2 protocol operation. Implementation of these
reliability features is indicated by presence of the "AS2-
Reliability" value in the EDIINT-Features header.

Intended Status

The intent of this document is to be placed on the RFC track as an
Informational RFC.

Feedback Instructions:
NOTE TO RFC EDITOR:  This section should be removed by the RFC editor
prior to publication.

If you want to provide feedback on this draft, follow these
guidelines:

-Send feedback via e-mail to the ietf-ediint list for discussion,
with "AS2 Reliability" in the Subject field. To enter or follow the
discussion, you need to subscribe to [email-masked].

-Be specific as to what section you are referring to, preferably
quoting the portion that needs modification, after which you state
your comments.

-If you are recommending some text to be replaced with your suggested
text, again, quote the section to be replaced, and be clear on the
section in question.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duker-as2-reliability-11.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-duker-as2-reliability-11.txt