Subject: I-D Action: draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:07:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Trends in Web Applications and the Implications on Standardization
	Author(s)       : Hannes Tschofenig
                          Bernard Aboba
                          Jon Peterson
                          Danny McPherson
	Filename        : draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-02.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2012-05-09

   Advancements in the design of web browsers have introduced
   fundamental changes to the architecture of application protocols.
   The widespread availability and growing sophistication of JavaScript
   interpreters in browsers enables web servers to push to browsers all
   of the application logic required to implement a client-server
   protocol.  Consequently, many client-server applications that once
   required an installed client on a host computer now can rely simply
   on a modern browser to act as a client for the purposes of a
   particular application.  For example, where once email clients
   required a custom application to access an inbox, increasingly a web
   browser can serve this purpose as well as the purpose-built
   applications of the past.  Similarly, HTTP with the assistance of
   JavaScript can subsume the functions performed by the protocols like
   POP3 and IMAP.  The need for Internet standards beyond HTTP to
   implement an email inbox application consequently diminishes - why
   author standards and worry about interoperability of clients and
   servers when the server can simply push to the client all the code it
   needs to be interoperable?

   Many client-server applications on the Internet could potential
   migrate to this code distribution methodology.

   [Note: A separate mailing list has been created for discussions
   related to this document and it can be found here:
   https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/webapps ]

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-post-standardization-02.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tschofenig-post-standardization/