Subject: I-D Action: draft-bar-v6ops-ismtu-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 12:58:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ISATAP Tunnel MTU
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-bar-v6ops-ismtu-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2012-05-18

   The ISATAP tunnel MTU is currently recommended to be set to 1480 or
   less.  This is to avoid IPv4 fragmentation within the tunnel, but
   requires the ISATAP tunnel ingress interface to drop any IPv6 packet
   larger than 1480 bytes and return an ICMPv6 Packet Too Big (PTB)
   message.  Concerns for operational issues with both IPv4 and IPv6
   Path MTU Discovery point to the possibility of MTU-related black
   holes when a packet is dropped due to an MTU restriction, so dropping
   packets is considered highly undesirable.  Fortunately, the "Internet
   cell size" is 1500 bytes, i.e., the minimum MTU configured by the
   vast majority of links in the Internet.  This document therefore
   presents a method to boost the ISATAP MTU to 1500 bytes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bar-v6ops-ismtu-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bar-v6ops-ismtu-00.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bar-v6ops-ismtu/