Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 18:59:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Generic Tunnel MTU Determination
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2012-05-22

   The IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnel MTU as defined by "Basic Transition
   Mechanisms for IPv6" is currently recommended to be set to 1480 or
   less when static MTU determination is used.  This is to avoid IPv4
   fragmentation within the tunnel, but requires the tunnel ingress to
   drop any IPv6 packet larger than 1480 bytes and return an ICMPv6
   Packet Too Big (PTB) message.  Concerns for operational issues with
   both IPv4 and IPv6 Path MTU Discovery point to the possibility of
   MTU-related black holes when a packet is dropped due to an MTU
   restriction.  Fortunately, the "Internet cell size" is 1500 bytes,
   i.e., the minimum MTU configured by the vast majority of links in the
   Internet.  This document therefore presents a method to boost the
   tunnel MTU to 1500 bytes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-00.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu/