Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:53:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) Overview, Threats, and Requirements
	Author(s)       : Gregory Lebovitz
                          Manav Bhatia
	Filename        : draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-05.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2012-05-10

   Different routing protocols exist and each employs its own mechanism
   for securing the protocol packets on the wire.  While most already
   have some method for accomplishing cryptographic message
   authentication, in many cases the existing methods are dated,
   vulnerable to attack, and employ cryptographic algorithms that have
   been deprecated.  The "Keying and Authentication for Routing
   Protocols" (KARP) effort aims to overhaul and improve these
   mechanisms.

   This document does not contain protocol specifications.  Instead, it
   defines the areas where protocol specification work is needed and a
   set of requirements for KARP design teams to follow.  RFC 6518,
   "Keying and Authentication for Routing Protocols (KARP) Design
   Guidelines" is a companion to this document; KARP design teams will
   use them together to review and overhaul routing protocols.  These
   two documents reflect the input of both the IETF's Security Area and
   Routing Area in order to form a mutually agreeable work plan.

   This document has three main parts.  The first part provides an
   overview of the KARP effort.  The second part lists the threats from
   RFC 4593, Generic Threats To Routing Protocols, that are in scope for
   attacks against routing protocols' transport systems, including any
   mechanisms built into the routing protocols themselves, which
   accomplish packet authentication.  The third part enumerates the
   requirements that routing protocol specifications must meet when
   addressing those threats for RFC 6518's "Work Phase 1", the update to
   a routing protocol's existing transport security.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs-05.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-karp-threats-reqs/