Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 01:44:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Advice for Safe Handling of Malformed Messages
	Author(s)       : Murray S. Kucherawy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2012-05-19

   The email ecosystem has long had a very permissive set of common
   processing rules in place, despite increasingly rigid standards
   governing its components, ostensibly to improve the user experience.
   The handling of these come at some cost, and various components are
   faced with decisions about whether or not to permit non-conforming
   messages to continue toward their destinations unaltered, adjust them
   to conform (possibly at the cost of losing some of the original
   message), or outright rejecting them.

   This document includes a collection of the best advice available
   regarding a variety of common malformed mail situations, to be used
   as implementation guidance.  It must be emphasized, however, that the
   intent of this document is not to standardize malformations or
   otherwise encourage their proliferation.  The messages are manifestly
   malformed, and the code and culture that generates them needs to be
   fixed.  Nevertheless, many malformed messages from otherwise
   legitimate senders are in circulation and will be for some time, and,
   unfortunately, commercial reality shows that we cannot simply reject
   or discard them.  Accordingly, this document presents recommendations
   for dealing with them in ways that seem to do the least additional
   harm until the infrastructure is tightened up to match the standards.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-02.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail/