Subject: I-D Action: draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:20:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Use Cases for ALTO within CDNs
	Author(s)       : Ben Niven-Jenkins
                          Grant Watson
                          Nabil Bitar
                          Jan Medved
                          Stefano Previdi
	Filename        : draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-06-10

   For some time, Content Distribution Networks (CDNs) have been used in
   the delivery of some Internet services (e.g. delivery of websites,
   software updates and video delivery) as they provide numerous
   benefits including reduced delivery cost for cacheable content,
   improved quality of experience for end users and increased robustness
   of delivery.

   In order to derive the optimal benefit from a CDN it is preferable to
   deliver content from the servers (caches) that are "closest" to the
   End User requesting the content, where "closest" may be as simple as
   "geographical or network distance" combined with CDN server load
   within a location, but may also consider other more complex
   combinations of metrics and CDN or Network Service Provider (NSP)
   policies.

   There are a number of different ways in which a CDN may obtain the
   necessary network topology and/or cost information to allow it to
   serve End Users from the most optimal servers/locations, such as
   static configuration, passively listening to routing protocols
   directly, active probing of underlying network(s), or obtaining
   topology and cost by querying an information service such as the ALTO
   map & cost services.

   This document describes the use cases for a CDN to be able to obtain
   network topology and cost information from an ALTO server(s).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-03.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases/