Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 22:06:58 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Generic Tunnel MTU Determination
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-06-06

   The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) for popular IP-within-IP tunnels
   is currently recommended to be set to 1500 (or less) minus the length
   of the encapsulation headers when static MTU determination is used.
   This requires the tunnel ingress to either fragment any IP packet
   larger than the MTU or drop the packet and return an ICMP Packet Too
   Big (PTB) message.  Concerns for operational issues with Path MTU
   Discovery (PMTUD) point to the possibility of MTU-related black holes
   when a packet is dropped due to an MTU restriction.  The current
   "Internet cell size" is therefore stuck at 1500 bytes (i.e., the
   minimum MTU configured by the vast majority of links in the
   Internet), but the desired end state is full accommodation of MTU
   diversity.  This document therefore presents a method to boost the
   tunnel MTU to larger values.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-02.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu/