Subject: I-D Action: draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:39:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Considerations on the AS-Level Application-Layer Traffic Optimization
	Author(s)       : Hirochika Asai
                          Hiroshi Esaki
                          Tsuyoshi Momose
	Filename        : draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-04.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2012-06-03

   Overlay routing technologies (a.k.a. peer-to-peer technologies) have
   been introduced to various distributed systems, such as content
   delivery networks and live media streaming systems.  However, these
   systems cannot always utilize optimal network resources from the
   viewpoint of layer 3 network providers and operators of layer 3
   network providers have difficulties in controlling and optimizing the
   traffic of these systems because these systems construct their own
   networks (i.e., overlay networks) over the layer 3 network without
   taking into account layer 3 network's routing policies.  The ALTO
   Working Group has worked on application-layer traffic optimization to
   fill the gaps in routing policies between the layer 3 network and
   overlay networks by providing the underlay network topology and cost
   information to applications that build overlay networks.  However,
   since ASes are operated under different policies and cost metrics for
   application-layer traffic optimization are assumed to be autonomously
   configured by each AS, there are considerations in applying
   application-layer traffic optimization techniques to cross-domain
   (inter-AS) traffic.  This document summarizes general problems with
   cross-domain traffic of overlay networks and considerations on the
   AS-level application-layer traffic optimization from the viewpoint of
   inter-AS economics.  This document also discusses the conceivable
   approaches to solve the problems and considerations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay-04.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-asai-cross-domain-overlay/