Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:04:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Generic Tunnel MTU Determination
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-07.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-06-23

Abstract:
   The Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) for popular IP-within-IP tunnels
   is currently recommended to be set to 1500 (or less) minus the length
   of the encapsulation headers when static MTU determination is used.
   This requires the tunnel ingress to either fragment any IP packet
   larger than the MTU or drop the packet and return an ICMP Packet Too
   Big (PTB) message.  Concerns for operational issues with Path MTU
   Discovery (PMTUD) point to the possibility of MTU-related black holes
   when a packet is dropped due to an MTU restriction.  The current
   "Internet cell size" is effectively 1500 bytes (i.e., the minimum MTU
   configured by the vast majority of links in the Internet) and should
   therefore also be the minimum MTU assigned to tunnels, but the
   desired end state is full accommodation of MTU diversity.  This
   document therefore presents a method to boost the tunnel MTU to
   larger values.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-07

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-generic-v6ops-tunmtu-07

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/