Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:05:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol Independent Multicast ECMP Redirect
	Author(s)       : Yiqun Cai
                          Liming Wei
                          Heidi Ou
                          Vishal Arya
                          Sunil Jethwani
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-06-28

Abstract:
   A Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) router uses the Reverse Path
   Forwarding (RPF) procedure to select an upstream interface and router
   to build forwarding state.  When there are equal cost multiple paths
   (ECMP), existing implementations often use hash algorithms to select
   a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread of traffic among the
   ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This usually leads to
   inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.  This document
   introduces the ECMP Redirect, a mechanism to improve the RPF
   procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP path selection to be based on
   administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission delays,
   path preferences and routing metrics.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-04

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/