Subject: I-D Action: draft-so-ipsecme-ikev2-cpext-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:54:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IKEv2 Configuration Payload Extension for Private IPv4 Support for Fixed Mobile Convergence
	Author(s)       : Tricci So
	Filename        : draft-so-ipsecme-ikev2-cpext-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-06-14

Abstract:
   IPSec IKEv2, RFC 5996 [RFC5996], has been adopted by many
   standardized network solutions to provide the secure transport
   between network elements over third party's infrastructure.  For
   example, the emerging Fixed Mobile Convergence (FMC) network solution
   that involves Femtocell deployment requires the mobile operator's
   Femtocell AP to leverage the IPSec IKEv2 to support mutual
   authentication and remote IP address configuration as well as other
   auto configuration support over the broadband fixed network (BBF) of
   which the mobile and fixed networks may be operated by two different
   operators.

   Most of today broadband fixed networks are still relying on the IPv4
   private addressing plan to support its attached devices including the
   mobile operator's Femtocell AP.  Hence, the private IPv4 addressing
   and Network Address and Port Translation (NA(P)T) support mostly
   likely stays for many years to come.

   In FMC interworking scenario, there is a need for the mobile network
   to pass on it mobile subscribers' policies to the broadband fixed
   network (BBF) to maintain the service level agreement (SLA) and to
   support remote network management. In addition, a broadband fixed
   network (BBF) may partnership with more than one mobile operator.
   Therefore it is important for the BBF and the mobile network to be
   able to overcome the limitation of the private IPv4 addressing and to
   be able to identify the user's subscription as well as to determine
   the location of the Femtocell AP that serves its mobile user over the
   BBF network.

   This document presents the problems for the IPSec tunneling support
   with private IPv4 addressing for FMC interworking and proposes a
   simple extension to the IKEv2 to resolve the issues.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-so-ipsecme-ikev2-cpext

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-so-ipsecme-ikev2-cpext-02

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-so-ipsecme-ikev2-cpext-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/