Subject: I-D Action: draft-klensin-iri-sri-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 01:27:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : An XML-based Simple Resource Identifier
	Author(s)       : John C Klensin
                          Subramanian Moonesamy
	Filename        : draft-klensin-iri-sri-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2012-07-09

Abstract:
   While the URI specification has been widely deployed, it has long
   been recognized that many valid URIs, especially those that contain
   extensive information in the "tail" are unsuitable for user
   presentation, especially for internationalized environments.  IRIs
   have been proposed as a solution for that problem but inherit (and
   are constrained by) the complex and sometimes method-dependent syntax
   model of URIs as well as positional and ordering assumptions that
   make them more difficult to localize than is desirable.

   This specification illustrates a way to define an "above URI" model
   for a localization-friendly simple reference identifier (SRI) that
   explicitly identifies fields and is more appropriate than IRIs to
   support localization.  The current version is intended simply to
   initiate a discussion.  In particular, while it is written to use an
   XML element syntax model, variations using JSON or some other system
   with explicitly-labeled data fields might be as, or more,
   appropriate.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-iri-sri

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-iri-sri-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/