Subject: I-D Action: draft-ivancic-scf-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 07:05:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Store, Carry and Forward Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : William Ivancic
                          Wesley M. Eddy
                          Dennis C. Iannicca
                          Joseph A. Ishac
	Filename        : draft-ivancic-scf-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2012-07-09

Abstract:
   This document provides a problem statement for non-realtime
   communication between systems that are generally disconnected,
   requiring multiple network hops between source and destination, that
   may never be fully connected end-to-end at any given time.  This
   document describes a number of use cases that motivate having a
   standard method to communicate between such systems, as multi-
   organization and multi-vendor support and interoperability is highly
   desirable.  These include dismounted soldiers, sensorwebs, medical
   devices, animal tracking, low-earth-orbiting satellites and data mule
   scenarios.  To avoid confusion in terminology when trying to focus on
   the problem and requirements without bias towards particular
   technical solutions, at this time, we refer to the protocol instances
   that would support such communications as Store, Carry, and
   Forwarding (SCF) agents, and refer to their activity as SCF
   networking.  The concepts involved in SCF networking are not entirely
   new and several facets of the problem have been solved in multiple
   incompatible ways in existing or historic systems.  This document
   describes the core SCF problem and gives an assessment of the ability
   to use existing technologies as solutions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ivancic-scf-problem-statement

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ivancic-scf-problem-statement-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/