Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:33:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Path MTU Updates
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-04.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2012-07-11

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting MTUs must either drop each
   too-large packet and return an ICMPv6 Packet Too Big (PTB) message or
   perform link-specific fragmentation (also known as "link adaptation")
   at a layer below IPv6.  This latter category of links is often
   performance-challenged to accommodate steady-state link-specific
   fragmentation and reassembly to the point that it would be highly
   desirable to push the workload back to the IPv6 communication
   endpoints.  A common case that exhibits these link characteristics is
   seen for IPv6-within-IP tunnels.  Additionally, IPv6 nodes can avoid
   path MTU discovery issues even when no link adaptation is necessary
   by performing a small amount of fragmentation and/or by probing the
   path as necessary.  This document therefore proposes an update to the
   base IPv6 specification to better accommodate path MTU issues.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-04

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/