Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:26:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Source Fragmentation for Link Adaptation Avoidance
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-02.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2012-07-05

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting MTUs must either drop each
   too-large packet and return an ICMP Packet Too Big message or perform
   link-specific fragmentation (also known as "link adaptation") at a
   layer below IPv6.  This latter category of links is often
   performance-challenged to accommodate steady-state link-specific
   fragmentation to the point that it would be highly desirable to push
   the fragmentation burden back to the IPv6 source.  A common case that
   exhibits these link characteristics is seen for IPv6-within-IP
   tunnels.  This document therefore proposes an update to the base IPv6
   specification to support link adaptation avoidance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-02

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/