Subject: I-D Action: draft-westerlund-mmusic-sdp-bw-attribute-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 13:06:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Extensible Bandwidth Attribute for SDP
	Author(s)       : Tomas Frankkila
                          Magnus Westerlund
                          Bo Burman
	Filename        : draft-westerlund-mmusic-sdp-bw-attribute-02.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   Knowledge of what bandwidths the end-points intend to use is
   important both for the other end-point and for resource allocation in
   various types of networks.  This is especially important for wireless
   access networks which typically have quite limited resources.  The
   bandwidth attribute in Session Description Protocol (SDP), 'b=AS', is
   today quite widely used to define the bandwidth that the end-points
   intends to use, in various types of sessions.  This document will
   show that the existing bandwidth attribute, such as 'b=AS', although
   widely used in today's scenarios, has limitations that make it hard
   or even impossible for the end-points to express their intentions
   accurately when it comes to bandwidth usage.  To solve the identified
   problems, this document defines a new extensible SDP bandwidth
   attribute 'a=bw' which enables more detailed control over the
   bandwidth declarations, request, and allocations.  With the new
   bandwidth attribute it is possible to define different scopes in the
   session setup and then negotiate the bandwidth individually for each
   scope.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-mmusic-sdp-bw-attribute

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-westerlund-mmusic-sdp-bw-attribute-02

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-westerlund-mmusic-sdp-bw-attribute-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/