Subject: I-D Action: draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 04:48:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : VLAN based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Frames
	Author(s)       : Yizhou Li
                          Weiguo Hao
                          Radia Perlman
                          Naveen Nimmu
                          Somnath Chatterjee
	Filename        : draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-07-03

Abstract:
   TRILL uses distribution trees for multi-destination traffic. Multiple
   trees can be used by an ingress RBridge. Different ingress RBridges
   may choose different distribution trees for the same VLAN and/or
   multicast group traffic. Distribution trees are normally pruned based
   on VLAN. For any RBridge RBn, if RBn has downstream receivers of VLAN
   x in a distribution tree t, there will be an entry of (t, x, port
   list) in the multicast forwarding table on RBn. If there are n trees
   and m VLANs, the multicast forwarding table size on RBn is typically
   n*m entries. The value of m is up to 4096 and n is the total number
   of distribution trees in the campus. If finer granularity filtering
   such as L2/L3 multicast address is used, then the multicast
   forwarding table size further increases dramatically. TRILL multicast
   forwarding table size is limited by hardware and L3 multicasting may
   share the same table with it in hardware implementations. Therefore
   multicast table entry is a precious resource. This document specifies
   a VLAN based tree selection mechanism to reduce the TRILL multicast
   forwarding table size. No data plane change is required.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-01

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/