Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:04:53 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : Network Reconnaissance in IPv6 Networks
    Author(s)     : F. Gont
    Filename      : draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning
    Pages         : 25 
    Date          : July 30, 2012 
    
IPv6 offers a much larger address space than that of its IPv4
   counterpart.  The standard /64 IPv6 subnets can (in theory)
   accommodate approximately 1.844 * 10^19 hosts, thus resulting in a
   much lower host density (#hosts/#addresses) than their IPv4
   counterparts.  As a result, it is widely assumed that it would take a
   tremendous effort to perform address scanning attacks against IPv6
   networks, and therefore IPv6 address scanning attacks have long been
   considered unfeasible.  This document analyzes how traditional
   address scanning techniques apply to IPv6 networks, and also explores
   a number of techniques that can be employed for IPv6 network
   reconnaissance.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.