Subject: I-D Action: draft-smith-v6ops-larger-ipv6-loopback-prefix-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:55:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Larger Loopback Prefix for IPv6
	Author(s)       : Mark Smith
	Filename        : draft-smith-v6ops-larger-ipv6-loopback-prefix-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-07-30

Abstract:
   In IPv4, 127/8 is the loopback prefix, where as in IPv6 it is
   ::1/128.  The significant difference between these two prefixes is
   the number of addresses they cover; 127/8 covers 2^24 or 16 777 216
   addresses, where as ::1/128 covers just a single address.

   IPv4's large number of loopback addresses has facilitated some novel
   uses of the loopback function that cannot be achieved with the single
   loopback address available in IPv6.  This memo proposes a new larger
   loopback prefix for IPv6 so that these uses of the loopback function
   become available for IPv6.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-smith-v6ops-larger-ipv6-loopback-prefix

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-smith-v6ops-larger-ipv6-loopback-prefix-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/