Subject: I-D Action: draft-tschofenig-hourglass-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 04:55:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : The New Waist of the Hourglass
	Author(s)       : Hannes Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-tschofenig-hourglass-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2012-07-09

Abstract:
   When developing a new application layer protocol the question about
   its foundation arises.  The decision will be impacted by various
   factors but the ability for the solution to be deployable in today's
   Internet will certainly play a big role since various intermediaries
   may lead to a brittle communication architecture.

   The waist of the hourglass has changed over time: new applications
   have to run on top of UDP or TCP.  Protocol designs that use other
   transport protocols have turned out to be undeployable on the public
   Internet.  Running protocols on bare IP is also doomed to fail.  This
   change is not theoretic in nature but has real-world implications for
   protocol designers.

   There is also a trend to run applications on top of HTTP/HTTPS.  The
   author seeks more input from the wider IETF community about the
   deployment situation of protocol filtering by intermediaries and on
   the impact for protocol designers.

   This document is being discussed at
   https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/architecture-discuss

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tschofenig-hourglass

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tschofenig-hourglass-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/