Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:12:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : PIM Snooping over VPLS
	Author(s)       : Olivier Dornon
                          Jayant Kotalwar
                          Jeffrey Zhang
                          Venu Hemige
	Filename        : draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-02.txt
	Pages           : 39
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   In Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS), as also in IEEE Bridged
   Networks, the switches simply flood multicast traffic on all ports in
   the LAN by default.  IGMP Snooping is commonly deployed to ensure
   multicast traffic is not forwarded on ports without IGMP receivers.
   The procedures and recommendations for IGMP Snooping are defined in
   [IGMP-SNOOP].  But when any protocol other than IGMP is used, the
   common practice is to simply flood multicast traffic to all ports.
   PIM-SM, PIM-SSM, PIM-BIDIR are widely deployed routing protocols.
   PIM Snooping procedures are important to restrict multicast traffic
   to only the routers interested in receiving such traffic.

   While most of the PIM Snooping procedures defined here also apply to
   IEEE Bridged Networks, VPLS demands certain special procedures due to
   the split-horizon rules that require the Provider Edge (PE) devices
   to co-operate.  This document describes the procedures and
   recommendations for PIM-Snooping in VPLS to facilitate replication to
   only those ports behind which there are interested PIM routers and/or
   IGMP hosts.  This document also describes procedures for PIM Proxy.
   PIM Proxy is required on PEs for VPLS Multicast to work correctly
   when Join suppression is enabled in the VPLS.  PIM Proxy also helps
   scale VPLS Multicast much better than just PIM Snooping.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-02

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/