Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:20:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Network Fragmentation for Tunnels
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2012-07-02

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  An exception to this requirement occurs when there is an
   IPv6/IPv4 protocol translator in the path, where in-the-network
   fragmentation may be unavoidable when the IPv4 network path includes
   a restricting link.  Unfortunately, recent investigations have shown
   that IPv6 Path MTU Discovery (PMTUD) interacts poorly with tunnels to
   the point that tunneled packets can be best accommodated only when
   the tunnel ingress is permitted to perform fragmentation.  This
   document therefore updates the IPv6 protocol specification to enable
   in-the-network fragmentation by routers that configure tunnel
   endpoints.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/