Subject: I-D Action: draft-bashandy-bgp-frr-vector-label-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2012 07:05:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : BGP FRR Protection against Edge Node Failure Using Vector Labels
	Author(s)       : Ahmed Bashandy
                          Nagendra Kumar
                          Maciek Konstantynowicz
	Filename        : draft-bashandy-bgp-frr-vector-label-00.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2012-07-08

Abstract:
Consider a BGP free core scenario. Suppose the edge BGP speakers PE1,
PE2,..., PEn know about a prefix P/m via the external routers CE1,
CE2,..., CEm.  If the edge router PEi crashes or becomes totally
disconnected from the core, it is desirable for a core router "P"
carrying traffic to the failed edge router PEi to immediately restore
traffic by re-tunneling packets originally tunneled to PEi and
destined to the prefix P/m to one of the other edge routers that
advertised P/m, say PEj, until BGP re-converges. In doing so, it is
highly desirable to keep the core BGP-free while not imposing
restrictions on external connectivity or complicating provisioning
effort. Thus (1) a core router should not be required to learn any
BGP prefix, (2) the size of the forwarding and routing tables in the
core routers should be independent of the number of BGP prefixes, (3)
re-routing traffic without waiting for re-convergence must not cause
loops, (4) provisioning effort should be kept at minimum, and (5)
there should be no restrictions on what edge routers advertise what
prefixes. For labeled prefixes, (6) the label stack on the packet
must allow the repair PEj to correctly forward the packet and (7)
there must not be any need to perform more than one label lookup on
any edge or core router during steady state

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bashandy-bgp-frr-vector-label

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bashandy-bgp-frr-vector-label-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/