Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 16:05:23 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Path MTU Updates
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-06.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting MTUs must either drop each
   too-large packet and return an ICMPv6 Packet Too Big (PTB) message or
   perform link-specific fragmentation and reassembly (also known as
   "link adaptation") at a layer below IPv6.  This latter category of
   links is often performance-challenged to accommodate steady-state
   link adaptation.  A common case that exhibits these link
   characteristics is seen for IPv6-within-IP tunnels.  Additionally,
   IPv6 nodes can avoid path MTU discovery issues even when no link
   adaptation is necessary by performing a small amount of fragmentation
   and/or by probing the path as necessary.  This document therefore
   proposes an update to the base IPv6 specification to better
   accommodate path MTU issues.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-06

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/