Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-protocol-12.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:16:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : Richard Alimi
                          Reinaldo Penno
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-12.txt
	Pages           : 72
	Date            : 2012-07-11

Abstract:
   Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
   of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
   of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
   servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
   missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
   or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
   In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
   optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

   The ALTO Service provides network information (e.g., basic network
   location structure, preferences of network paths) with the goal of
   modifying network resource consumption patterns while maintaining or
   improving application performance.  The basic information of ALTO is
   based on abstract maps of a network.  These maps provide a simplified
   view, yet enough information about a network for applications to
   effectively utilize them.  Additional services are built on top the
   maps.

   This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
   Although the ALTO service would primarily be provided by the network
   operator (e.g., an ISP), content providers and third parties could
   also operate this service.  Applications that could use this service
   are those that have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of
   such applications are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery
   networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-12

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-alto-protocol-12

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/