Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tls-oob-pubkey-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 09:30:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Out-of-Band Public Key Validation for Transport Layer Security
	Author(s)       : Paul Wouters
                          John Gilmore
                          Samuel Weiler
                          Tero Kivinen
                          Hannes Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tls-oob-pubkey-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   This document specifies a new certificate type for exchanging raw
   public keys in Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport
   Layer Security (DTLS) for use with out-of-band public key validation.
   Currently, TLS authentication can only occur via X.509-based Public
   Key Infrastructure (PKI) or OpenPGP certificates.  By specifying a
   minimum resource for raw public key exchange, implementations can use
   alternative public key validation methods.

   One such alternative public key valiation method is offered by the
   DNS-Based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) together with DNS
   Security.  Another alternative is to utilize pre-configured keys, as
   is the case with sensors and other embedded devices.  The usage of
   raw public keys, instead of X.509-based certificates, leads to a
   smaller code footprint.

   This document introduces the support for raw public keys in TLS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oob-pubkey

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-oob-pubkey-04

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tls-oob-pubkey-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/