Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-framework-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:16:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : PRECIS Framework: Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols
	Author(s)       : Peter Saint-Andre
                          Marc Blanchet
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-framework-04.txt
	Pages           : 65
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   Application protocols using Unicode code points in protocol strings
   need to prepare such strings in order to perform comparison
   operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or authorization).
   This document defines a framework enabling application protocols to
   handle various classes of strings in a way that depends on the
   properties of Unicode code points and that is agile with respect to
   versions of Unicode; as a result, this framework provides a more
   sustainable approach to the handling of internationalized strings
   than the previous framework, known as Stringprep (RFC 3454).  A
   specification that reuses this framework can either directly use the
   base string classes or subclass the base string classes as needed.
   This framework takes an approach similar to the revised
   internationalized domain names in applications (IDNA) technology (RFC
   5890, RFC 5891, RFC 5892, RFC 5893, RFC 5894) and thus adheres to the
   high-level design goals described in RFC 4690, albeit for application
   technologies other than the Domain Name System (DNS).  This document
   obsoletes RFC 3454.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-framework-04

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-framework-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/