Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 08:00:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IMIX Genome: Specification of variable packet sizes for additional testing
	Author(s)       : Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-07-05

Abstract:
   Benchmarking Methodologies have always relied on test conditions with
   constant packet sizes, with the goal of understanding what network
   device capability has been tested.  Tests with constant packet size
   reveal device capabilities but differ significantly from the
   conditions encountered in operational deployment, and so additional
   tests are sometimes conducted with a mixture of packet sizes, or
   "IMIX".  The mixture of sizes a networking device will encounter is
   highly variable and depends on many factors.  An IMIX suited for one
   networking device and deployment will not be appropriate for another.
   However, the mix of sizes may be known and the tester may be asked to
   augment the fixed size tests.  To address this need, and the
   perpetual goal of specifying repeatable test conditions, this draft
   defines a way to specify the exact repeating sequence of packet sizes
   from the usual set of fixed sizes, and other forms of mixed size
   specification.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-02

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bmwg-imix-genome-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/