Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 17:13:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Path MTU Updates
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-03.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2012-07-10

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting MTUs must either drop each
   too-large packet and return an ICMP Packet Too Big message or perform
   link-specific fragmentation (also known as "link adaptation") at a
   layer below IPv6.  This latter category of links is often
   performance-challenged to accommodate steady-state link-specific
   fragmentation and reassembly to the point that it would be highly
   desirable to push the workload back to the IPv6 communication
   endpoints.  A common case that exhibits these link characteristics is
   seen for IPv6-within-IP tunnels.  Additionally, IPv6 nodes could
   better adapt to path MTUs of various sizes by using either a small
   amount of host-based fragmentation and/or path probing as
   necessary.This document therefore proposes an update to the base IPv6
   specification to better accommodate path MTU issues.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-03

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/