Subject: I-D Action: draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:52:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Laminar TCP and the case for refactoring TCP congestion control
	Author(s)       : Matt Mathis
	Filename        : draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   The primary state variables used by all TCP congestion control
   algorithms, cwnd and ssthresh, are heavily overloaded, carrying
   different semantics in different states.  This leads to excess
   implementation complexity and poorly defined behaviors under some
   combinations of events, such as application stalls during loss
   recovery.  We propose a new framework for TCP congestion control, and
   to recast current standard algorithms to use new state variables.
   This new framework will not generally change the behavior of any of
   the primary congestion control algorithms when they are invoked in
   isolation.  It will permit new algorithms with better behaviors in
   many corner cases, such as when two distinct primary algorithms are
   invoked concurrently.  It will also foster the creation of new
   algorithms to address some events that are poorly treated by today's
   standards.  For the vast majority of traditional algorithms the
   transformation to the new state variables is completely
   straightforward.  However, the resulting implementation is likely to
   technically be in violation of existing TCP standards, even if it is
   fully compliant with their principles and intent.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-01

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mathis-tcpm-tcp-laminar-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/