Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-kahn-dsii-id-res-sys-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 13:43:34 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : Terminology and Use Cases for Interoperability of Identifier Resolution Systems
    Author(s)     : R. Kahn, et al
    Filename      : draft-kahn-dsii-id-res-sys
    Pages         : 7 
    Date          : July 2, 2012 
    
Identifier Systems have been in existence for many years and are in
   widespread use. An opaque identifier conveys essentially nothing
   about the information identified and must be converted into useful
   intermediate information, known as state information, before the
   information being identified can be accessed or used. An identifier
   that is can be processed by a system in the Internet to provide
   useful and actionable intermediate state information is said to be
   resolvable. Although there is ongoing discussion about the value of
   opaque versus non-opaque identifiers, we assume the existence of a
   minimal syntax structure for the identifier and also that the
   resolution mechanisms only knows about the minimal syntax of the
   identifier. In this document we introduce the notion of
   interoperability of identifier resolution systems as a key component
   for enabling interoperability of heterogeneous information systems
   more broadly, and discuss the role of unique persistent resolvable
   identifiers.  Terminology is proposed to facilitate this discussion
   and a set of use cases demonstrating the need for interoperability of
   resolution systems are included.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kahn-dsii-id-res-sys-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.