Subject: I-D Action: draft-chiappa-lisp-architecture-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:04:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : An Architectural Analysis of the LISP Location-Identity Separation System
	Author(s)       : Yorktown Museum of Asian Art
	Filename        : draft-chiappa-lisp-architecture-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-07-09

Abstract:
   LISP upgrades the architecture of the IPvN internetworking system by
   separating location and identity, current intermingled in IPvN
   addresses.  This is a change which has been identified by the IRTF as
   a critically necessary evolutionary architectural step for the
   Internet.  In LISP, nodes have both a 'locator' (a name which says
   _where_ in the network's connectivity structure the node is) and an
   'identifier' (a name which serves only to provide a persistent handle
   for the node).  A node may have more than one locator, or its locator
   may change over time (e.g. if the node is mobile), but it keeps the
   same identifier.

   One of the chief novelties of LISP, compared to other proposals for
   the separation of location and identity, is its approach to deploying
   this upgrade.  In general, it is comparatively easy to conceive of
   new network designs, but much harder to devise approaches which will
   actually get deployed throughout the global network.  LISP aims to
   achieve the near-ubiquitous deployment necessary for maximum
   exploitation of an architectural upgrade by i) minimizing the amount
   of change needed (existing hosts and routers can operate unmodified);
   and ii) by providing significant benefits to early adopters.

   This document gives additional architectural insight into LISP, and
   analyzes a number of aspects of LISP from a long-term perspective.

   NOTE: This is an initial rough draft, a much better version will be
   out shortly.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chiappa-lisp-architecture

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chiappa-lisp-architecture-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/