Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-dtnrg-zinky-erasure-coding-extension-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:26:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Bundle Protocol Erasure Coding Extension
	Author(s)       : John Zinky
                          Armando Caro
                          Gregory Stein
	Filename        : draft-irtf-dtnrg-zinky-erasure-coding-extension-00.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2012-08-20

Abstract:
   This document describes an extension to the Delay and Disruption
   Tolerant Networking (DTN) Bundle Protocol specification [RFC5050]
   which describes a protocol that enables the transfer of relatively
   large Data Objects over disrupted networks.  The Erasure Coding
   Extension is a mechanism that extends the ability of the existing DTN
   bundle fragmentation mechanism to handle situations where bundles
   have a high probability of being dropped.  An example use case is a
   situation where no communication contact period will ever be long
   enough to send the whole Data Object.  In this case the object must
   be partitioned into smaller chunks and these chunks are sent in
   multiple bundles.  The Erasure Coding Extension provides a recovery
   mechanism that allows many of these bundles to be dropped and still
   allow the whole Data Object to be successfully sent.

   This document describes an Erasure Coding Extension Block and a
   framework for integrating Forward Error Correction (FEC) into the
   bundle protocol.  The Erasure Coding Extension is designed to support
   multiple FEC schemes and content object types.  This is the framework
   document for a series of documents about erasure coding for DTN.
   Companion documents describe specific FEC schemes [RandBinary] and
   specific Data Object types [EcObjects].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-dtnrg-zinky-erasure-coding-extension

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-dtnrg-zinky-erasure-coding-extension-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/