Subject: I-D Action: draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 06:41:36 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Considerations for Having a Successful "Bar BOF" Side Meeting
	Author(s)       : Lars Eggert
                          Gonzalo Camarillo
	Filename        : draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-08.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-08-28

Abstract:
   New work is typically brought to the IETF by a group of interested
   individuals.  IETF meetings are a convenient place for such groups to
   hold informal get-togethers to discuss and develop their ideas.  Such
   side meetings, which are not reflected in the IETF meeting agenda and
   have no official status, are often half-jokingly referred to as "bar
   BOF" sessions, to acknowledge that some of them may eventually lead
   to a proposal for an official IETF BOF ("birds of a feather" session)
   on a given topic.

   During recent IETF meetings, many such "bar BOF" get-togethers have
   been organized and moderated in ways that made them increasingly
   indistinguishable from official IETF BOFs or sometimes even IETF
   working group meetings.

   This document argues that this recent trend is not helpful in
   reaching the ultimate goal of many of these get-togethers, i.e., to
   efficiently discuss and develop ideas for new IETF work.  It
   encourages the organizers to consider the benefits of holding them in
   much less formal settings, and to also consider alternative means to
   develop their ideas.  This document also recommends that the
   community abandon the term "bar BOF" and instead use other terms such
   "side meeting", in order to stress the unofficial nature of these
   get-togethers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/