Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 07:00:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Jukka Manner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-08.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2012-08-13

Abstract:
   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using active queue management (AQM) such
   as random early detection (RED) or pre-congestion notification (PCN).
   We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size should be taken
   into account when transports read and respond to congestion
   indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into account when
   network equipment creates congestion signals (marking, dropping), and
   therefore (3) the byte-mode packet drop variant of the RED AQM
   algorithm that drops fewer small packets should not be used.  This
   memo updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate preferential treatment
   of small packets in AQM algorithms.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/