Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-pce-power-replic-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 03:39:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Constructing power optimal P2MP TE-LSPs within an AS
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-pce-power-replic-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-08-25

Abstract:
   Power consumption in multicast replication operations is an area of
   concern and choosing suitable replication points that can decrease
   power consumption overall assumes importance. Multicast replication
   capacity is an attribute of every line card of major routers and
   multi-layer switches that support multicast in the core of an
   Internet Service Provider (ISP) or an enterprise network.

   Currently multicast replication points on Point-to-Multipoint Traffic
   Engineering Label-Switched-Paths (P2MP TE-LSPs) consume power while
   delivering multiple output streams of data from a given input stream.
   The multicast distribution trees are constructed without any regard
   for a proper placement of the replication points and consequent
   optimal power consumption at these points.

   This results in overloading certain routers while under-utilizing
   others. An optimal usage of these replication resources could
   substantially reduce power consumption on these routers. In this
   paper, we propose a mechanism by which P2MP TE-LSPs are constructed
   for carrying multicast traffic across multiple areas within a given
   AS. We propose that these LSPs be built by using the advertisements
   of the power-replication capacity ratio advertised by fine grained
   components such as multicast capable line-cards of routers and multi-
   layer switches deployed within an AS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-pce-power-replic

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-pce-power-replic-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mjsraman-pce-power-replic-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/