Subject: I-D Action: draft-balaji-mpls-csc-te-lsp-splice-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:27:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : An Architecture for splicing TE-LSPs in Hierarchical CsC scenarios
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
                          Bhargav Bhikkaji
	Filename        : draft-balaji-mpls-csc-te-lsp-splice-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2012-08-18

Abstract:
   Hierarchical Carrier Supporting Carrier deployments involve a Carrier
   Core which hereinafter is called the Tier-1 provider and two or more
   VPN sites that are carriers themselves hereinafter called Tier-2
   providers that offer MPLS VPN services to their own customers. In
   such cases normally LDP is used to distribute labels amongst the
   routers (P and PE devices) in the Tier-2 provider's sites. When RSVP
   based TE-LSPs are constructed to explicitly route traffic for Tier-2
   ISP's customers from the Tier-2 PEs to the CE of the Tier-1 provider
   and such TE-LSPs exist on multiple sites of the Tier-2 provider, the
   Tier-2 ISP may require splicing together through an "auto-match-and-
   splice-together" facility such that traffic flows from the PE of the
   Tier-2 ISP through the TE-LSP onto the CE of the Tier-1 ISP and then
   onto the other site and takes a path through a specific TE-LSP from
   the CE of the other site to the destination Tier-2 PE and then onto
   the final customer.

   This solution offers a lot of advantages such as providing adequate
   assurance that the bandwidth for the traffic flowing through these
   spliced TE-LSPs is met. It also provides a explicit routing of the
   traffic rather than through the regular LDP (which follows IGP)
   scenarios. Such explicitly routed TE-LSPs would have been constructed
   taking into account factors such as using under-utilized links for
   example. Splicing together these TE-LSPs in various sites and doing
   the splicing on an auto-match based on bandwidth or delay metrics
   would be a good service to offer to the Tier-2 ISPs customers.

   This draft outlines a scheme that offers such a feature and service
   to the Tier-2 ISPs through the addition of certain additional label
   exchanges and some additional labels such as the RSVP-stitch label
   and the RSVP-splicing-LDP label in the label stack which can be used
   to splice together these tunnels.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-balaji-mpls-csc-te-lsp-splice

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-balaji-mpls-csc-te-lsp-splice-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/