Subject: I-D Action: draft-gashinsky-6man-v6nd-enhance-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 10:39:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Neighbor Discovery Enhancement for DOS mititgation
	Author(s)       : Warren Kumari
	Filename        : draft-gashinsky-6man-v6nd-enhance-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2012-09-20

Abstract:
   In IPv4, subnets are generally small, made just large enough to cover
   the actual number of machines on the subnet.  In contrast, the
   default IPv6 subnet size is a /64, a number so large it covers
   trillions of addresses, the overwhelming number of which will be
   unassigned.  Consequently, simplistic implementations of Neighbor
   Discovery can be vulnerable to denial of service attacks whereby they
   attempt to perform address resolution for large numbers of unassigned
   addresses.  Such denial of attacks can be launched intentionally (by
   an attacker), or result from legitimate operational tools that scan
   networks for inventory and other purposes.  As a result of these
   vulnerabilities, new devices may not be able to "join" a network, it
   may be impossible to establish new IPv6 flows, and existing IPv6
   transported flows may be interrupted.

   This document describes a modification to the [RFC4861] neighbor
   discovery protocol aimed at improving the resilience of the neighbor
   discovery process.  We call this process Gratuitous neighbor
   discovery and it derives inspiration in part from analogous IPv4
   gratuitous ARP implementation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gashinsky-6man-v6nd-enhance

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gashinsky-6man-v6nd-enhance-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gashinsky-6man-v6nd-enhance-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/