Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:34:36 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Stringprep Revision and PRECIS Problem Statement
	Author(s)       : Marc Blanchet
                          Andrew Sullivan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-08.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2012-09-19

Abstract:
   If a protocol expects to compare two strings and is prepared only for
   those strings to be ASCII, then using Unicode codepoints in those
   strings requires they be prepared somehow.  Internationalizing Domain
   Names in Applications (here called IDNA2003) defined and used
   Stringprep and Nameprep.  Other protocols subsequently defined
   Stringprep profiles.  A new approach different from Stringprep and
   Nameprep is used for a revision of IDNA2003 (called IDNA2008).  Other
   Stringprep profiles need to be similarly updated or a replacement of
   Stringprep needs to be designed.  This document outlines the issues
   to be faced by those designing a Stringprep replacement.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-problem-statement-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/