Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-framework-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:12:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : PRECIS Framework: Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols
	Author(s)       : Peter Saint-Andre
                          Marc Blanchet
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-framework-06.txt
	Pages           : 67
	Date            : 2012-09-23

Abstract:
   Application protocols using Unicode code points in protocol strings
   need to prepare such strings in order to perform comparison
   operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or authorization).
   This document defines a framework enabling application protocols to
   perform the preparation and comparison of internationalized strings
   (a.k.a.  "PRECIS") in a way that depends on the properties of Unicode
   code points and thus is agile with respect to versions of Unicode.
   As a result, this framework provides a more sustainable approach to
   the handling of internationalized strings than the previous
   framework, known as Stringprep (RFC 3454).  A specification that
   reuses this framework can either directly use the base string classes
   or subclass the base string classes as needed.  This framework takes
   an approach similar to the revised internationalized domain names in
   applications (IDNA) technology (RFC 5890, RFC 5891, RFC 5892, RFC
   5893, RFC 5894) and thus adheres to the high-level design goals
   described in RFC 4690, albeit for application technologies other than
   the Domain Name System (DNS).  This document obsoletes RFC 3454.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-framework-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-framework-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/