Subject: I-D Action: draft-white-irs-use-case-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 18:50:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Use Cases for an Interface to the Routing System
	Author(s)       : Russ White
                          Susan Hares
                          Rex E. Fernando
	Filename        : draft-white-irs-use-case-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-09-18

Abstract:
   Programmatic interfaces to provide control over individual forwarding
   devices in a network promise to reduce operational costs while
   improving scaling, control, and visibility into the operation of
   large scale networks.  To this end, several programmatic interfaces
   have been proposed.  OpenFlow, for instance, provides a mechanism to
   replace the dynamic control plane processes on individual forwarding
   devices throughout a network with off box processes that interact
   with the forwarding tables on each device.  Another example is
   NETCONF, which provides a fast and flexible mechanism to interact
   with device configuration and policy.

   There is, however, no proposal which provides an interface to all
   aspects of the routing systemas a system.  Such a system would not
   interact with the forwarding system on individual devices, but rather
   with the control plane processes already used to discover the best
   path to any given destination through the network, as well as
   interact with the routing information base (RIB), which feeds the
   forwarding table the information needed to actually switch traffic at
   a local level.

   This document describes a set of use cases such a system could
   fulfill.  It is designed to provide underlying support for the
   framework, policy, and other drafts describing the Interface to the
   Routing System (IRS).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-white-irs-use-case

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-white-irs-use-case-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/