Subject: I-D Action: draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 06:24:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Certificate Transparency
	Author(s)       : Ben Laurie
                          Adam Langley
                          Emilia Kasper
	Filename        : draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2012-09-12

Abstract:
   The aim of Certificate Transparency is to have every public end-
   entity TLS certificate issued by a known Certificate Authority
   recorded in one or more certificate logs.  In order to detect mis-
   issuance of certificates, all logs are publicly auditable.  In
   particular, domain owners will be able to monitor logs for
   certificates issued on their own domain.

   In order to protect clients from unlogged mis-issued certificates,
   logs sign all recorded certificates, and clients can choose not to
   trust certificates that are not accompanied by an appropriate log
   signature.  For privacy and performance reasons log signatures are
   embedded in the TLS handshake via the TLS authorization extension
   [RFC5878], or in the certificate itself via an X.509v3 certificate
   extension [RFC5280].

   In order to ensure a globally consistent view of the log, logs also
   provide a global signature over the entire log.  Any inconsistency of
   logs can be detected through cross-checks on the global signature.

   Logs are only expected to certify that they have seen a certificate
   and thus, we do not specify any revocation mechanism for log
   signatures in this document.  Logs will be append-only, and log
   signatures will be valid indefinitely.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-laurie-pki-sunlight

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/