Subject: I-D Action: draft-bashandy-isis-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 02:40:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IS-IS Extension for BGP FRR Protection against Edge Node Failure
	Author(s)       : Ahmed Bashandy
	Filename        : draft-bashandy-isis-bgp-edge-node-frr-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-08-31

Abstract:
Consider a BGP free core scenario where traffic is tunneled between
edge routers. Suppose the edge BGP speakers PE1, PE2,..., PEn know
about a prefix P/m via the external routers CE1, CE2,..., CEm.  If
the edge router PEi crashes or becomes totally disconnected from the
core, it desirable for a core router "P" that is carrying traffic to
the failed edge router PEi to immediately restore traffic by re-
routing packets originally tunneled to PEi and destined to the prefix
P/m to one of the other edge routers that advertised P/m, say PEj,
until BGP re-converges. If the packets originally flowing to the
failed edge router PEi are labeled, then the repairing core router P
router may need to swap, push, or pop the label advertised by the
failed edge router PEi with another label before re-routing the
packet through an LSP terminating PEj so that PEj can correctly
forward the packet. The document proposes an extension to IS-IS
protocol to inform core routers about the repair edge router PEj and,
for labeled packets, the label that needs to be pushed/swapped before
sending the packet into the tunnel terminating on PEj

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bashandy-isis-bgp-edge-node-frr

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bashandy-isis-bgp-edge-node-frr-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bashandy-isis-bgp-edge-node-frr-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/