Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 04:06:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                          P.F. Chimento
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-04.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-09-05

Abstract:
   This document provides an update of the Internet Protocol version 6
   (IPv6) specification (RFC2460) to improve the performance of IPv6 in
   the use case when a tunnel protocol uses UDP with IPv6 to tunnel
   packets.  The performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the
   IPv6 UDP checksum requirement for suitable tunneling protocol where
   header information is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.
   This relaxation removes the overhead associated with the computation
   of UDP checksums on IPv6 packets used to carry tunnel protocols and
   thereby improves the efficiency of the traversal of firewalls and
   other network middleboxes by such protocols.  We describe how the
   IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be relaxed in the situation where
   the encapsulated packet itself contains a checksum, the limitations
   and risks of this approach, and defines restrictions on the use of
   this relaxation to mitigate these risks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/