Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:04:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Applications Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Advice for Safe Handling of Malformed Messages
	Author(s)       : Murray S. Kucherawy
                          Gregory N. Shapiro
	Filename        : draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-03.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-10-09

Abstract:
   The email ecosystem has long had a very permissive set of common
   processing rules in place, despite increasingly rigid standards
   governing its components, ostensibly to improve the user experience.
   The handling of these come at some cost, and various components are
   faced with decisions about whether or not to permit non-conforming
   messages to continue toward their destinations unaltered, adjust them
   to conform (possibly at the cost of losing some of the original
   message), or outright rejecting them.

   This document includes a collection of the best advice available
   regarding a variety of common malformed mail situations, to be used
   as implementation guidance.  It must be emphasized, however, that the
   intent of this document is not to standardize malformations or
   otherwise encourage their proliferation.  The messages are manifestly
   malformed, and the code and culture that generates them needs to be
   fixed.  Therefore, these messages should be rejected outright if at
   all possible.  Nevertheless, many malformed messages from otherwise
   legitimate senders are in circulation and will be for some time, and,
   unfortunately, commercial reality shows that we cannot always simply
   reject or discard them.  Accordingly, this document presents
   alternatives for dealing with them in ways that seem to do the least
   additional harm until the infrastructure is tightened up to match the
   standards.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-appsawg-malformed-mail-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/