Subject: I-D Action: draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 16:45:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Layer-3 virtual network overlays based on BGP Layer-3 VPNs
	Author(s)       : Dhananjaya Rao
                          John Mullooly
                          Rex Fernando
	Filename        : draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2012-10-15

Abstract:
   Virtual network overlays are being designed and deployed in various
   types of networks, including data center networks.  These network
   overlays serve several purposes including flexible network
   virtualization, increased scale, multi-tenancy, and mobility.  Such
   overlay networks may be used to provide both Layer-2 and Layer-3
   network services to hosts at the network edge.  New encapsulations
   are being defined and standardized to support these virtual networks.
   These encapsulations are primarily based on IP, such as VxLAN and
   NvGRE.

   BGP based Layer-3 VPNs, as specified in RFC 4364, provide an industry
   proven and well-defined solution for supporting Layer-3 virtual
   network services.  RFC 4364 mechanisms use MPLS labels to provide the
   network virtualization capability in the data plane.  This document
   specifies a simple mechanism to use the new IP-based virtual network
   overlay encapsulations, while continuing to leverage the BGP based
   Layer-3 VPN control plane techniques and extensions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/