Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-dns-applications-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 14:40:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Architectural Considerations on Application Features in the DNS
	Author(s)       : Jon Peterson
                          Olaf Kolkman
                          Hannes Tschofenig
                          Bernard Aboba
	Filename        : draft-iab-dns-applications-06.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   A number of Internet applications rely on the Domain Name System
   (DNS) to support their operations.  Many applications use the DNS to
   locate services for a domain.  For example, some applications
   transform identifiers other than domain names into formats that the
   DNS can process and then fetch application data or service location
   data from the DNS.  Proposals to incorporate more sophisticated
   application behavior into the DNS, however, have raised questions
   about the applicability and extensibility of the DNS.  This document
   explores the architectural consequences of using the DNS for storing
   and retrieving certain application features, and provides guidance to
   future application designers as to the sorts of ways that
   applications can make use of the DNS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-dns-applications

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-dns-applications-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iab-dns-applications-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/