Subject: I-D Action: draft-rescorla-avtcore-6222bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:30:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs)
	Author(s)       : Eric Rescorla
                          Ali Begen
	Filename        : draft-rescorla-avtcore-6222bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2012-10-13

Abstract:
   The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a
   persistent transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
   Synchronization Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may
   change if a collision is detected or when the RTP application is
   restarted, its RTCP CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP
   endpoints can be uniquely identified and associated with their RTP
   media streams.

   For proper functionality, RTCP CNAMEs should be unique within the
   participants of an RTP session.  However, the existing guidelines for
   choosing the RTCP CNAME provided in the RTP standard are insufficient
   to achieve this uniqueness.  RFC 6222 was published to update those
   guidelines to allow endpoints to choose unique RTCP CNAMEs.
   Unfortunately, later investigations showed that some parts of the new
   algorithms were unnecessarily complicated and/or ineffective.  This
   document specifies a replacement for those parts.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rescorla-avtcore-6222bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rescorla-avtcore-6222bis-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/