Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 13:21:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updated Specification of the IPv4 ID Field
	Author(s)       : Joe Touch
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-06.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2012-10-09

Abstract:
   The IPv4 Identification (ID) field enables fragmentation and
   reassembly, and as currently specified is required to be unique
   within the maximum lifetime for all datagrams with a given
   source/destination/protocol tuple. If enforced, this uniqueness
   requirement would limit all connections to 6.4 Mbps. Because
   individual connections commonly exceed this speed, it is clear that
   existing systems violate the current specification. This document
   updates the specification of the IPv4 ID field in RFC791, RFC1122,
   and RFC2003 to more closely reflect current practice and to more
   closely match IPv6 so that the field's value is defined only when a
   datagram is actually fragmented. It also discusses the impact of
   these changes on how datagrams are used.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-intarea-ipv4-id-update-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/