Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-tcp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:46:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Re-ECN: Adding Accountability for Causing Congestion to TCP/IP
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Arnaud Jacquet
                          Toby Moncaster
                          Alan Smith
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-tcp-01.txt
	Pages           : 52
	Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   This document introduces re-ECN (re-inserted explicit congestion
   notification), which is intended to make a simple but far-reaching
   change to the Internet architecture.  The sender uses the IP header
   to reveal the congestion that it expects on the end-to-end path.  The
   protocol works by arranging an extended ECN field in each packet so
   that, as it crosses any interface in an internetwork, it will carry a
   truthful prediction of congestion on the remainder of its path.  It
   can be deployed incrementally around unmodified routers.  The purpose
   of this document is to specify the re-ECN protocol at the IP layer
   and to give guidelines on any consequent changes required to
   transport protocols.  It includes the changes required to TCP both as
   an example and as a specification.  It briefly gives examples of
   mechanisms that can use the protocol to ensure data sources respond
   sufficiently to congestion, but these are described more fully in a
   companion document.

   Note concerning Intended Status: If this draft were ever published as
   an RFC it would probably have historic status.  There is limited
   space in the IP header, so re-ECN had to compromise by requiring the
   receiver to be ECN-enabled otherwise the sender could not use re-ECN.
   Re-ECN was a precursor to chartering of the IETF's Congestion
   Exposure (ConEx) working group, but during chartering there were
   still too few ECN receivers enabled, therefore it was decided to
   pursue other compromises in order to fit a similar capability into
   the IP header.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-tcp

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-tcp-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-tcp-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/