Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 08:59:10 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : TRILL Edge Directory Assistance Framework
    Author(s)     : L. Dunbar, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework
    Pages         : 14 
    Date          : Oct. 22, 2012 
    
   Edge RBridges currently learn the mapping between MAC addresses and
   their egress RBridges by observing the data packets traversed
   through. When an ingress RBridge receives a data frame with its
   destination address (MAC&amp;VLAN) unknown, the data frame is flooded
   within the VLAN across the TRILL campus. When there are more than
   one RBridge ports connected to one bridged LAN, only one of them can
   be designated as the Appointed Forwarder port for
   forwarding/receiving native traffic to/from each VLAN, the other
   RBridge ports on that LAN have to be disabled for native traffic in
   that VLAN.

   This draft describes the framework for using directory services to
   assist edge RBridges by reducing multi-destination frames,
   particularly unknown unicast frames flooding, and ARP/ND, improving
   TRILL network scalability in environment, such as data centers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.