Subject: I-D Action: draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:19:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Certificate Transparency
	Author(s)       : Ben Laurie
                          Adam Langley
                          Emilia Kasper
	Filename        : draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2012-10-18

Abstract:
   The aim of Certificate Transparency is to have every public end-
   entity and intermediate TLS certificate issued by a known Certificate
   Authority recorded in one or more certificate logs.  In order to
   detect mis-issuance of certificates, all logs are publicly auditable.
   In particular, domain owners or their agents will be able to monitor
   logs for certificates issued on their own domain.

   To protect clients from unlogged mis-issued certificates, logs sign
   all recorded certificates, and clients can choose not to trust
   certificates that are not accompanied by an appropriate log
   signature.  For privacy and performance reasons log signatures are
   embedded in the TLS handshake via the TLS authorization extension
   [RFC5878], or in the certificate itself via an X.509v3 certificate
   extension [RFC5280].

   To ensure a globally consistent view of the log, logs also provide a
   global signature over the entire log.  Any inconsistency of logs can
   be detected through cross-checks on the global signature.
   Consistency between any pair of global signatures, corresponding to
   snapshots of the log at different times, can be efficiently shown.

   Logs are only expected to certify that they have seen a certificate,
   and thus we do not specify any revocation mechanism for log
   signatures in this document.  Logs are append-only, and log
   signatures will be valid indefinitely.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-laurie-pki-sunlight

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/