Subject: I-D Action: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 14:24:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs
	Author(s)       : Michelle Cotton
                          Barry Leiba
                          Thomas Narten
	Filename        : draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2012-10-02

Abstract:
   Many protocols make use of identifiers consisting of constants and
   other well-known values.  Even after a protocol has been defined and
   deployment has begun, new values may need to be assigned (such as for
   a new option type in DHCP, or a new encryption or authentication
   transform for IPsec).  To ensure that such quantities have consistent
   values and interpretations across all implementations, their
   assignment must be administered by a central authority.  For IETF
   protocols, that role is provided by the Internet Assigned Numbers
   Authority (IANA).

   In order for IANA to manage a given namespace prudently, it needs
   guidelines describing the conditions under which new values can be
   assigned or when modifications to existing values can be made.  If
   IANA is expected to play a role in the management of a namespace,
   IANA must be given clear and concise instructions describing that
   role.  This document discusses issues that should be considered in
   formulating a policy for assigning values to a namespace and provides
   guidelines for authors on the specific text that must be included in
   documents that place demands on IANA.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5226.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/