Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 21:44:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names, Revised Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Defining Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespaces
	Author(s)       : Alfred Hoenes
	Filename        : draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-03.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2012-10-18

Abstract:
   RFC 2141bis formalizes the concept of Uniform Resource Names (URNs)
   for persistent, location-independent, resource identifiers within the
   generic URI system specified in RFC 3986.  To structure and organize
   URN usage, RFC 2141bis specifies a hierarchy that divides the set of
   possible URNs into "URN Namespaces" that can be individually defined
   and managed.  URN Namespaces allow to map existing identifier systems
   into the URN scheme and thereby make available generic, network-based
   resolution services for the identified resources (documents,
   artifacts, and other objects) and metadata related to them.

   To this end, URN Namespaces need to be defined and specified in a
   comparable manner, and their Namespace Identifiers (NIDs) need to be
   registered with IANA, so that naming conflicts are avoided and
   implementers of services can follow a structured approach in support
   of various namespaces, guided by the registry to the related
   documents and the particularities of specific namespaces, as
   described in these Namespace registration documents.

   This RFC serves as a design guideline for stakeholders of URN
   Namespaces and authors of URN Namespace definition and registration
   documents.  It describes the process to be followed to register a URN
   Namespace with IANA and the essential content of such documents.

   This document supersedes and replaces RFC 3406.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc3406bis-urn-ns-reg-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/