Subject: I-D Action: draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:09:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ALTO Cost Schedule
	Author(s)       : Sabine Randriamasy
                          Nico Schwan
	Filename        : draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-10-19

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   bridge the gap between network and applications by provisioning
   network related information.  This allows applications to make
   informed decisions, for example when selecting a target host from a
   set of candidates.  The ALTO problem statement [RFC5693] considers
   typical applications as file sharing, real-time communication and
   live streaming peer-to-peer networks.  Recently other use cases
   focused on Content Distribution Networks and Data Centers have
   emerged.

   The present draft proposes to extend the cost information provided by
   the ALTO protocol.  The purpose is to broaden the decision
   possibilities of applications to not only decide 'where' to connect
   to, but also 'when'.  This is useful to applications that have a
   degree of freedom on when to schedule data transfers, such as non-
   instantaneous data replication between data centers or service
   provisioning to end systems with irregular connectivity.  The draft
   therefore specifies a new cost mode, called the "schedule" mode.  In
   this mode the ALTO server offers cost maps that contain path ratings
   that are valid for a given timeframe (e.g. hourly) for a period of
   time (e.g. a day).  Besides the functional time-shift enhancement
   providing multi-timeframe cost values, the ALTO Cost Schedule also
   allows to save a number of ALTO transactions and thus resources on
   the ALTO server and clients.  Last, guidance to schedule application
   traffic can also efficiently help for load balancing and resources
   efficiency.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/