Subject: I-D Action: draft-smith-6man-mitigate-nd-cache-dos-slnd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 17:41:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Mitigating IPv6 Router Neighbor Cache DoS Using Stateless Neighbor Discovery
	Author(s)       : Mark Smith
	Filename        : draft-smith-6man-mitigate-nd-cache-dos-slnd-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2012-10-06

Abstract:
   The IPv6 neighbor discovery cache is vulernable to a Denial of
   Service attack that purposely exhausts the state used during the
   neighbor discovery address resolution process.  This can be very
   disruptive when a router is successfully attacked.

   This memo proposes a stateless form of neighbor discovery to be used
   by routers to eliminate the opportunity for this DoS attack.  This
   method of stateless neighbor discovery would be used for unknown or
   untrusted packet sources, when the router's neighbor cache's state
   capacity reaches a medium to high threshold of use.  Trusted packet
   sources would continue to be provided with traditional stateful
   neighbor discovery.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-smith-6man-mitigate-nd-cache-dos-slnd

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-smith-6man-mitigate-nd-cache-dos-slnd-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/