Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 03:44:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reusing the IPv4 Identification Field in Atomic Packets
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2012-10-20

Abstract:
   This specification takes a new approach to extensibility that is both
   principled and a hack.  It builds on recent moves to formalise the
   increasingly common practice where fragmentation in IPv4 more closely
   matches that of IPv6.  The large majority of IPv4 packets are now
   'atomic', meaning indivisible.  In such packets, the 16 bits of the
   IPv4 Identification (IPv4 ID) field are redundant and could be freed
   up for the Internet community to put to other uses, at least within
   the constraints imposed by their original use for reassembly.  This
   specification defines the process for redefining the semantics of
   these bits.  It uses the previously reserved control flag in the IPv4
   header to indicate that these 16 bits have new semantics.  Great care
   is taken throughout to ease incremental deployment, even in the
   presence of middleboxes that incorrectly discard or normalise packets
   that have the reserved control flag set.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-intarea-ipv4-id-reuse-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/