Subject: I-D Action: draft-burleigh-dtnrg-imc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:39:30 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CBHE-Compatible Bundle Multicast
	Author(s)       : Scott Burleigh
	Filename        : draft-burleigh-dtnrg-imc-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2012-11-07

Abstract:
   This document describes a mechanism for Delay-Tolerant Networking
   (DTN) multicast that is compatible with Compressed Bundle Header
   Encoding (CBHE).  The mechanism, named "Interplanetary Multicast"
   (IMC), comprises (a) a single network-wide multicast spanning tree
   overlaid on any single Bundle Protocol (BP)-based network, (b)
   multicast groups that take the form of ordinary BP non-singleton
   endpoints, (c) a new CBHE-compatible URI scheme, "imc", for
   expressing the identities of these endpoints, (d) a new type of BP
   administrative record that propagates multicast "petitions"
   (announcements regarding nodes' membership in IMC endpoints) through
   the multicast tree, and (e) a new bundle forwarding procedure by
   which bundles whose destinations are multicast groups are forwarded
   through the multicast tree in accord with previously received
   petitions.

   IMC is designed to provide simple and efficient multi-source,
   generally reliable, delay-tolerant multi-point data delivery in a
   network of arbitrary size.  Anycast, content-centric networking,
   persistent messages, and similar research challenges are not
   explicitly supported.

   For research purposes and small-scale deployment, it is anticipated
   that multicast tree construction and maintenance can be manual.  For
   larger networks an automated protocol for IMC tree management would
   be required; the design of such a protocol is beyond the scope of
   this specification.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-burleigh-dtnrg-imc

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-burleigh-dtnrg-imc-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/