Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-panet-ecmp-redirect-power-repl-cap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 01:27:05 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : PIM ECMP Redirect based on Linecard Replication Capacity and Power
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-panet-ecmp-redirect-power-repl-cap-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2012-11-05

Abstract:
   This work derives itself from [1] which proposes a ECMP redirect from
   a PIM upstream neighbor that instructs or advices the PIM downstream
   neighbor to choose another of its own ECMP links between the former
   and the latter. What we propose in this document is a criterion based
   on power consumed in the linecards that comprise the ECMP links
   between the former and the latter. Also the multicast replication
   capacity available within the said linecards which form the ECMP
   links between the two is taken into consideration while making a ECMP
   redirect.

   A PIM router uses RPF procedure to select an upstream interface and
   router to build forwarding state.  When there are equal cost multiple
   paths (ECMP), existing implementations often use hash algorithms to
   select a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread of traffic
   among the ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This usually
   leads to inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.  This
   document introduces the ECMP Redirect, a mechanism to improve the RPF
   procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP path selection to be based on
   administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission delays,
   path preferences and routing metrics.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-panet-ecmp-redirect-power-repl-cap

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-panet-ecmp-redirect-power-repl-cap-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/