Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-panet-bgp-power-path-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 01:15:29 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reducing Power Consumption using BGP path selection
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
                          Vasan Srini
                          I.T Madras
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-panet-bgp-power-path-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2012-11-05

Abstract:
   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of the Internet using a collaborative approach between
   Autonomous Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS
   and then use suitable modifications to the BGP path selection
   algorithm to route the packets along the paths. Such low-power paths
   can be identified by using the consumed-power-to-available-bandwidth
   (PWR) ratio as an additional parameter in the BGP Path Selection
   Algorithm. For re-routing the data traffic through these low-power
   paths, the power based best path is selected and advertised as per
   the modified algorithm proposed in this document. Extensions to the
   Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) can be used to disseminate the PWR
   ratio metric among the AS thereby creating a collaborative approach
   to reduce the power consumption. The feasibility of our approaches is
   illustrated by applying our algorithm to a subset of the Internet.
   The techniques proposed in this paper for the Inter-AS power
   reduction require minimal modifications to the existing features of
   the Internet. The proposed techniques can be extended to other levels
   of Internet hierarchy, such as Intra-AS paths, through suitable
   modifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-panet-bgp-power-path

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-panet-bgp-power-path-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/