Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 00:52:49 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Applicability of MPLS-TP Linear Protection for Ring Topologies
	Author(s)       : Yaacov Weingarten
                          Stewart Bryant
                          Danielle Ceccarelli
                          Diego Caviglia
                          Francesco Fondelli
                          Marco Corsi
                          Bo Wu
                          Xuehui Dai
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-03.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2012-11-05

Abstract:
   This document presents an applicability of linear protection
   mechanisms for Multi-Protocol Label Switching Transport Profile
   (MPLS-TP) in ring topologies.  Protection on rings offers a number of
   opportunities for optimization as the protection choices are starkly
   limited (all traffic traveling one way around a ring can only be
   switched to travel the other way on the ring), but also suffers from
   some complications caused by the limitations of the topology.

   Requirements for MPLS-TP protection and specifically for protection
   in ring topologies are discussed in "Requirements of an MPLS
   Transport Profile" (RFC 5654) and "MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP)
   Survivability Framework" (RFC 6372).  This document shows how MPLS-TP
   linear protection as defined in RFC 6378 can be applied to ring
   topologies, discusses how most of the requirements are met, and
   describes scenarios in which the function provided by applying linear
   protection in a ring topology falls short of some of the
   requirements.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union Telecommunications
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network as
   defined by the ITU-T.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/