Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 13:04:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Temporal and hitless path segment monitoring
	Author(s)       : Alessandro D'Alessandro
                          Manuel Paul
                          Satoshi Ueno
                          Yoshinori Koike
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-11-08

Abstract:
   The MPLS transport profile (MPLS-TP) is being standardized to enable
   carrier-grade packet transport and complement converged packet
   network deployments. Among the most attractive features of MPLS-TP
   are OAM functions, which enable network operators or service
   providers to provide various maintenance characteristics, such as
   fault location, survivability, performance monitoring, and
   preliminary or in-service measurements.

   One of the most important mechanisms which is common for transport
   network operation is fault location. A segment monitoring function of
   a transport path is effective in terms of extension of the
   maintenance work and indispensable particularly when the OAM function
   is effective only between end points. However, the current approach
   defined for MPLS-TP for the segment monitoring (SPME) has some fatal
   drawbacks. This document elaborates on the problem statement for the
   Sub-path Maintenance Elements (SPMEs) which provides monitoring of a
   portion of a set of transport paths (LSPs or MS-PWs). Based on the
   problems, this document specifies new requirements to consider a new
   improved mechanism of hitless transport path segment monitoring.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union Telecommunications
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/