Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-panet-intra-as-psp-te-leak-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 01:21:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Building power shortest inter-Area TE LSPs using pre-computed paths
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-panet-intra-as-psp-te-leak-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2012-11-05

Abstract:
   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of an Autonomous System (AS) using a collaborative
   approach between areas within an AS. We identify the low-power paths
   within non-backbone areas and then use Traffic Engineering (TE)
   techniques to route the packets along the stitched paths from non-
   backbone areas / backbone area to other non-backbone areas. Such low-
   power paths can be identified by using the power-to-available-
   bandwidth (PWR) ratio as an additional constraint in the Constrained
   Shortest Path First (CSPF) algorithm. For routing the data traffic
   through these low-power paths, the Inter-Area Traffic Engineered
   Label Switched Path (TE-LSP) that spans multiple areas can be used.
   Extensions to the Interior Gateway Protocols like OSPF and IS-IS that
   support TE extensions can be used to disseminate information about
   low-power paths in the respective areas (backbone or non-backbone)
   that minimize the PWR ratio metric on the links within the areas and
   between the areas thereby creating a collaborative approach to reduce
   the power consumption.

   The feasibility of our approaches is illustrated by applying our
   algorithm to an AS with a backbone area and several non-backbone
   areas. The techniques proposed in this paper for the Inter-Area power
   reduced paths require a few modifications to the existing features of
   the IGPs supporting TE extensions. The proposed techniques can be
   extended to other levels of Internet hierarchy, such as Inter-AS
   paths, through suitable modifications as in [11].

   When link state routing protocols like OSPF or ISIS are used to
   discover TE topology, there is the limitation that traffic engineered
   paths can be set up only when the head and tail end of the label
   switched path are in the same area. There are solutions to overcome
   this limitation either using offline Path Computation Engine (PCE)
   that attach to multiple areas and know the topology of all areas.
   This document proposes an alternative approach that does not require
   any centralized PCE and uses selective leaking of low-power TE path
   information from one area into other areas.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-panet-intra-as-psp-te-leak

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-panet-intra-as-psp-te-leak-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/