Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 11:14:31 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Processing of IPv6 "atomic" fragments
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2012-12-29

Abstract:
   The IPv6 specification allows packets to contain a Fragment Header
   without the packet being actually fragmented into multiple pieces (we
   refer to these packets as "atomic fragments").  Such packets
   typically result from hosts that have received an ICMPv6 "Packet Too
   Big" error message that advertises a "Next-Hop MTU" smaller than 1280
   bytes, and are currently processed by some implementations as
   "fragmented traffic".  Thus, by forging ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" error
   messages an attacker can cause hosts to employ "atomic fragments",
   and then launch any fragmentation-based attacks against such traffic.
   This document discusses the generation of the aforementioned "atomic
   fragments", the corresponding security implications, and formally
   updates RFC 2460 and RFC 5722 such that fragmentation-based attack
   vectors against traffic employing "atomic fragments" are completely
   eliminated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/