Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-panet-tcam-power-ratio-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 21:12:48 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Computing Power Saving Paths using TCAM Power Ratio
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Prof.Kamakoti Veezhinathan
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-panet-tcam-power-ratio-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-01-05

Abstract:
   A power saving scheme for switching of TCAM banks of fine granularity
   is discussed in [ID-TCAM-POWER-EFF]. This scheme switches of TCAM
   banks of fine granularity and their corresponding SRAM banks
   depending on the occupancy of routes and their rewrites within the
   TCAM of a intelligent router line card (where one or more such TCAM
   entities along with their SRAM banks may reside) by using an
   algorithm specified in [ID-TCAM-POWER-EFF]. This takes care of
   switching off TCAM and SRAM banks within a router's line card and
   correspondingly saves power when the traffic matrix is not large with
   respect to the routes the packets lookup where the occupancy of such
   routes is low in the line card. This is with reference to both single
   and multi-chassis devices. The algorithm specified therein tends to
   switch off banks which are not in use. The aim of this draft is to
   use the device level characteristic in the form of a TCAM Power Ratio
   and disseminate it as a metric within an area or an Autonomous system
   (where multiple such areas exist within an AS) to compute power
   saving paths through the set of routers where the TCAM-POWER-RATIO is
   low. The TCAM-POWER-RATIO is arrived at by dividing the number of
   bits in the TCAM banks that are switched off by the Total Available
   TCAM bank space in bits. This ratio is then subjected to the SPF
   algorithm as in a link state protocol like OSPF or IS-IS with
   available utilization on the links also being a factor. This way
   those routers that have more TCAM banks switched off are avoided and
   those with higher power consumption but with available bandwidth are
   used hence not increasing the total power consumed within the area
   and hence within the AS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-panet-tcam-power-ratio

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-panet-tcam-power-ratio-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mjsraman-panet-tcam-power-ratio-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/