Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-protect-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 03:00:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Constructing inter-AS power shortest protection TE-LSPs using BGP
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
                          Vasan Srini
                          IIT Madras
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-protect-02.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2013-01-29

Abstract:
   In this paper, we propose a framework to build protection / backup
   paths for power shortest primary inter-AS TE-LSPs. The primary path
   is built within a framework to reduce the aggregate power consumption
   of the Internet using a collaborative approach between Autonomous
   Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS and then
   use Traffic Engineering (TE) techniques to route the packets along
   the paths. Such low-power paths can be identified by using the
   consumed-power-to-available-bandwidth (PWR) ratio as an additional
   constraint in the Constrained Shortest Path First (CSPF) algorithm.
   For re-routing the data traffic through these low-power paths, the
   Inter-AS Traffic Engineered Label Switched Path (TE-LSP) that spans
   multiple AS can be used.

   Once the primary paths have been built we use the same techniques to
   build backup power shortest paths in a similar manner except by
   excluding the nodes (ASes) and links (between these ASes) that are
   present in the primary path. This way the backup path does not
   traverse any of the ASes or links between these ASes of the primary
   path so constructed.

   Extensions to the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) can be used to
   disseminate the PWR ratio metric among the AS thereby creating a
   collaborative approach to reduce the power consumption. Since
   calculating the low-power paths can be computationally intensive, a
   graph-labeling heuristic is also proposed. This heuristic reduces the
   computational complexity but may provide a sub-optimal low-power
   path. The feasibility of our approaches is illustrated by applying
   our algorithm to a subset of the Internet. The techniques proposed in
   this paper for the Inter-AS power reduction require minimal
   modifications to the existing features of the Internet. The proposed
   techniques can be extended to other levels of Internet hierarchy,
   such as Intra-AS paths, through suitable modifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-protect

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-protect-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-protect-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/