Subject: I-D Action: draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 11:56:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Simple Secure Addressing Generation Scheme for IPv6 AutoConfiguration (SSAS)
	Author(s)       : Hosnieh Rafiee
                          Christoph Meinel
	Filename        : draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-01-02

Abstract:
   The default method for IPv6 address generation uses two unique
   manufacturer IDs that are assigned by the IEEE Standards Association
   [1] (section 2.5.1 RFC-4291) [RFC4291]. This means that a node will
   always have the same Interface ID (IID) whenever it connects to a new
   network. Because the node's IP address does not change, the node is
   vulnerable to privacy related attacks. To address this issue, there
   are currently two mechanisms in use to randomize the IID,
   Cryptographically Generated Addresses (CGA) [RFC3972] and Privacy
   Extension [RFC4941]. The problem with the former approach is the
   computational cost involved for the IID generation. The problem with
   the latter approach is that it lacks security. This document offers a
   new algorithm for use in the generation of the IID while, at the same
   time, securing the node against some types of attack, such as IP
   spoofing. These attacks are prevented with the addition of a
   signature to the Neighbor Discovery messages (NDP).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rafiee-6man-ssas

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/