Subject: I-D Action: draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:23:16 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Path MTU Updates
	Author(s)       : Fred L. Templin
	Filename        : draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-07.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2013-01-14

Abstract:
   IPv6 intentionally deprecates fragmentation by routers in the
   network.  Instead, links with restricting Maximum Transmission Units
   (MTUs) must either drop each too-large packet and return an ICMPv6
   Packet Too Big (PTB) message or perform link-specific fragmentation
   and reassembly (also known as "link adaptation") at a layer below
   IPv6.  This latter category of links is often performance-challenged
   to accommodate steady-state link adaptation.  A common case that
   exhibits these link characteristics is seen for IPv6-in-IP tunnels.
   Additionally, IPv6 nodes can avoid path MTU discovery issues even
   when no link adaptation is necessary by performing a small amount of
   fragmentation and/or by probing the path as necessary.  This document
   therefore proposes an update to the base IPv6 specification to better
   accommodate path MTU issues.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-generic-6man-tunfrag-07

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/