Subject: I-D Action: draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:53:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : VLAN based Tree Selection for Multi-destination Frames
	Author(s)       : Yizhou Li
                          Weiguo Hao
                          Radia Perlman
                          Naveen Nimmu
                          Somnath Chatterjee
                          Sunny Rajagopalan
	Filename        : draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2013-01-14

Abstract:
   TRILL uses the distribution trees to deliver multi-destination frames.
   Multiple trees can be used by an ingress RBridge for different flow
   based on VLAN and/or multicast group. Different ingress RBridges may
   choose different distribution trees for the same VLAN and/or
   multicast group traffic. Distribution trees are normally pruned based
   on VLAN.

   For any RBridge RBn, if RBn has downstream receivers of VLAN x in a
   distribution tree t, there will be an entry of (t, x, port list) in
   the multicast forwarding table on RBn. If there are n trees and m
   VLANs, the multicast forwarding table size on RBn is typically n*m
   entries. The value of m is up to 4096 and n is the total number of
   distribution trees in the campus. If fine grained labeling is
   implemented or finer granularity filtering such as VLAN plus L2/L3
   multicast address is used for pruning, the multicast forwarding table
   size further increases dramatically. TRILL multicast forwarding table
   size is limited by hardware and L3 multicasting may share the same
   table with it in hardware implementations. Therefore multicast table
   entry is a precious resource. This document specifies a VLAN based
   tree selection mechanism to reduce the TRILL multicast forwarding
   table size on RBridge.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-yizhou-trill-tree-selection-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/