Subject: I-D Action: draft-resnick-on-consensus-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:07:48 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : On Consensus and Humming in the IETF
	Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
	Filename        : draft-resnick-on-consensus-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2013-01-28

Abstract:
   The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
   a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
   IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
   technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
   by a "majority rules" philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
   like "humming" instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
   actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
   letting the majority win the day.  This document is a collection of
   thoughts on what rough consensus is, how we have gotten away from it,
   and the things we can do in order to really achieve rough consensus.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-resnick-on-consensus

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-on-consensus-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/