Subject: I-D Action: draft-jiang-semantic-prefix-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 01:31:35 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Framework for Semantic IPv6 Prefix and Gap Analysis
	Author(s)       : Sheng Jiang
                          Qiong Sun
                          Ian Farrer
	Filename        : draft-jiang-semantic-prefix-04.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2013-01-30

Abstract:
   Some Internet Service Providers and enterprises require detailed
   information about the payload of traffic, so that packets can be
   treated differently and efficiently.  Packet-level differentiation
   can also enable flow-level and user-level differentiation.

   With its large address space, IPv6 allows semantics to be embedded
   into addresses by assigning additional significance to specific bits
   within the prefix.  Using these semantics, routers and other
   intermediary devices can easily apply relevant policies as required.
   This document describes a framework for such an approach.  It also
   analyses the technical advantages and limitations associated with
   such an approach.

   This informational document only discusses the usage of semantics
   within a single network, or group of interconnected networks which
   share a common addressing policy, referred to as a Semantic Prefix
   Domain.

   The document is NOT intended to suggest the standardization of any
   common global semantics.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jiang-semantic-prefix

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jiang-semantic-prefix-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-jiang-semantic-prefix-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/