Subject: I-D Action: draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 03:29:30 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Reducing Power Consumption using BGP
	Author(s)       : Shankar Raman
                          Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Gaurav Raina
	Filename        : draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-05.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2013-01-29

Abstract:
   In this paper, we propose a framework to reduce the aggregate power
   consumption of the Internet using a collaborative approach between
   Autonomous Systems (AS). We identify the low-power paths among the AS
   and then use Traffic Engineering (TE) techniques to route the packets
   along the paths. Such low-power paths can be identified by using the
   consumed-power-to-available-bandwidth (PWR) ratio as an additional
   constraint in the Constrained Shortest Path First (CSPF) algorithm.
   For re-routing the data traffic through these low-power paths, the
   Inter-AS Traffic Engineered Label Switched Path (TE-LSP) that spans
   multiple AS can be used. Extensions to the Border Gateway Protocol
   (BGP) can be used to disseminate the PWR ratio metric among the AS
   thereby creating a collaborative approach to reduce the power
   consumption. Since calculating the low-power paths can be
   computationally intensive, a graph-labeling heuristic is also
   proposed. This heuristic reduces the computational complexity but may
   provide a sub-optimal low-power path. The feasibility of our
   approaches is illustrated by applying our algorithm to a subset of
   the Internet. The techniques proposed in this paper for the Inter-AS
   power reduction require minimal modifications to the existing
   features of the Internet. The proposed techniques can be extended to
   other levels of Internet hierarchy, such as Intra-AS paths, through
   suitable modifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mjsraman-rtgwg-inter-as-psp-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/