Subject: I-D Action: draft-mcgrew-standby-cipher-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 17:08:18 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Selection of Future Cryptographic Standards
	Author(s)       : David McGrew
                          Anthony Grieco
                          Yaron Sheffer
	Filename        : draft-mcgrew-standby-cipher-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-01-25

Abstract:
   The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is extensively used and is
   widely believed to provide security that is more than adequate.
   Several other cipher designs have been proposed for use in standards,
   and new designs continue to be developed, while consideration of cost
   and complexity impels that the number of mandatory-to-implement
   ciphers be minimized.  This note outlines an approach to the
   selection of cryptographic algorithms that best serves the needs of
   the users of cryptography: AES should continue in its role as the
   mandatory-to-implement cipher, while other cipher designs should be
   reviewed with the goal of selecting a single standby cipher.  If
   future advances in the science of cryptanalysis uncover security
   issues with the AES, the standby cipher will be ready for adoption as
   its replacement.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mcgrew-standby-cipher

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcgrew-standby-cipher-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/