Subject: I-D Action: draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 18:42:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A mechanism to allocate IPv6 blocks for BGP networks based on the networks AS Number
	Author(s)       : Martin J. Levy
                          Matthew Pounsett
	Filename        : draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2013-01-24

Abstract:
   This document provides a methodology for automatically allocating
   IPv6 [RFC2460] address blocks for networks that run BGP [RFC4271] and
   are either single-homed or multi-homed [BARBER2011].  The automatic
   allocation is taken from a specific /16 block assigned by IANA for
   this purpose.

   Networks that require more than this single /48 can still request
   additional allocations via the existing RIR process.  Networks are
   not forced to use this allocation and can ignore this completely.
   Availability of the /48 assignment via this mechanism does not change
   existing mechanisms for obtaining IPv6 assignments through the
   existing RIR (Regional Internet Registry) or LIR (Local Internet
   Registry) mechanisms.

   There is an implicit assumption that it's a good thing to promote
   networks to enable IPv6 with a near-zero effort.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mlevy-v6ops-auto-v6-allocation-per-asn-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/