Subject: I-D Action: draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-viid-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:36:23 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Vehicle Identification Number-Based IPv6 Interface Identifier (VIID)
	Author(s)       : Sofiane Imadali
                          Alexandru Petrescu
                          Christophe Janneteau
	Filename        : draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-viid-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2013-02-18

Abstract:
   The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is a 17 characters
   alphanumeric code that uniquely identifies a vehicle worldwide.  This
   code is standardized in ISO-3779 and ISO-3780; other standardization
   bodies' implementation of this code (NHTSA, SAE) is compliant with
   ISO standards.  The VIN is mandatory for each vehicle and used as a
   unique identity.  Some public information related to a vehicle can be
   obtained knowing its VIN code.

   An IPv6 address is 128 bit in length and its rightmost bits form the
   Interface Identifier (IID).  When the IPv6 address is used with IPv6-
   over-Ethernet and Stateless Address Auto-Configuration, the length of
   the IID is 64 bit.

   This document presents an experimental method to convert an IPv6
   Interface Identifier starting from the VIN code - the VIID.  The
   conversion can be reverted - given a VIID formed from a VIN it easily
   possible to find out the original VIN.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-viid

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-viid-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/