Subject: I-D Action: draft-keoh-lwig-dtls-iot-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:11:39 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Securing the IP-based Internet of Things with DTLS
	Author(s)       : Sye Loong Keoh
                          Sandeep S. Kumar
                          Oscar Garcia-Morchon
	Filename        : draft-keoh-lwig-dtls-iot-01.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2013-02-25

Abstract:
   The IP-based Internet of Things (IoT) refers to the pervasive
   interaction of smart devices and people enabling new applications by
   means of IP protocols. Traditional IP protocols will be further
   complemented by 6LoWPAN and CoAP to make the IoT feasible on small
   devices. Security and privacy are a must for such an environment. Due
   to mobility, limited bandwidth, resource constraints, and new
   communication topologies, existing security solutions need to be
   adapted. We propose a security architecture for the IoT in order to
   provide network access control to smart devices, the management of
   keys and securing unicast/multicast communication. Devices are
   authenticated and granted network access by means of a pre-shared key
   (PSK) based security handshake protocol. The solution is based on
   Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS). Through the established
   secure channels, keying materials, operational and security
   parameters are distributed, enabling devices to derive session keys
   and group keys. The solution relies on the DTLS Record Layer for the
   protection of unicast and multicast data flows. We have prototyped
   and evaluated the security architecture. The DTLS architecture allows
   for easier interaction and interoperability with the Internet due to
   the extensive use of TLS. However, it exhibits performance issues
   constraining its deployment in some network topologies and hence
   would require further optimizations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-keoh-lwig-dtls-iot

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-keoh-lwig-dtls-iot-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-keoh-lwig-dtls-iot-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/