Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:12:06 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Updating TCP to support Rate-Limited Traffic
	Author(s)       : Godred Fairhurst
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2013-02-14

Abstract:
   This document proposes an update to RFC 5681 to address issues that
   arise when TCP is used to support traffic that exhibits periods where
   the sending rate is limited by the application rather than the
   congestion window.  It updates TCP to allow a TCP sender to restart
   quickly following either an idle or rate-limited interval.  This
   method is expected to benefit applications that send rate-limited
   traffic using TCP, while also providing an appropriate response if
   congestion is experienced.

   It also evaluates TCP Congestion Window Validation, CWV, an IETF
   experimental specification defined in RFC 2861, and concludes that
   CWV sought to address important issues, but failed to deliver a
   widely used solution.  This document therefore proposes an update to
   the status of RFC 2861 by recommending it is moved from Experimental
   to Historic status, and that it is replaced by the current
   specification.

   NOTE: The standards status of this WG document is under review for
   consideration as either Experimental (EXP) or Proposed Standard (PS).
   This decision will be made later as the document is finalised.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-newcwv-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/