Subject: I-D Action: draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 08:04:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : WebRTC audio codecs for interoperability with legacy networks.
	Author(s)       : Xavier Marjou
                          Stephane Proust
                          Kalyani Bogineni
                          Roland Jesske
                          Bernhard Feiten
                          Lei Miao
                          Telecom Italia
                          Espen Berger
	Filename        : draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-02-25

Abstract:
   This document presents use-cases underlining why WebRTC needs AMR-WB,
   AMR and G.722 as additional relevant voice codecs to satisfactorily
   ensure interoperability with existing systems.  It also presents a
   way forward that takes into consideration the concerns expressed
   against the addition of codecs besides Opus and G.711.

   It is especially recognized that unjustified additional costs on
   browsers must be avoided.  Therefore, the proposed solution intends
   to fully rely on the codecs already supported on the devices
   implementing the browsers and for which license and implementation
   costs have been already paid.

   It is expected that this way forward will significantly limit the
   costs and technical impacts on browsers while greatly improving
   interoperability with legacy systems and overall quality.  It intents
   to be considered as a good compromise beneficial to all parties and
   to the whole industry: the user quality experience will be optimized
   as a whole at limited additional costs without incurring high costs
   for both networks to support transcoding and browsers to support
   additional codecs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/