Subject: I-D Action: draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:04:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Tail Loss Probe (TLP): An Algorithm for Fast Recovery of Tail Losses
	Author(s)       : Nandita Dukkipati
                          Neal Cardwell
                          Yuchung Cheng
                          Matt Mathis
	Filename        : draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2013-02-25

Abstract:
   Retransmission timeouts are detrimental to application latency,
   especially for short transfers such as Web transactions where
   timeouts can often take longer than all of the rest of a transaction.
   The primary cause of retransmission timeouts are lost segments at the
   tail of transactions.  This document describes an experimental
   algorithm for TCP to quickly recover lost segments at the end of
   transactions or when an entire window of data or acknowledgments are
   lost.  Tail Loss Probe (TLP) is a sender-only algorithm that allows
   the transport to recover tail losses through fast recovery as opposed
   to lengthy retransmission timeouts.  If a connection is not receiving
   any acknowledgments for a certain period of time, TLP transmits the
   last unacknowledged segment (loss probe).  In the event of a tail
   loss in the original transmissions, the acknowledgment from the loss
   probe triggers SACK/FACK based fast recovery.  TLP effectively avoids
   long timeouts and thereby improves TCP performance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dukkipati-tcpm-tcp-loss-probe-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/