Subject: I-D Action: draft-balaji-panet-dc-label-semantic-for-pwr-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 05:21:32 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Load-balancing to Data Centers in a L3VPN environment based on Power
	Author(s)       : Balaji Venkat Venkataswami
                          Bhargav Bhikkaji
                          Shankar Raman
	Filename        : draft-balaji-panet-dc-label-semantic-for-pwr-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2013-02-17

Abstract:
   Data Centers may be spread across different locations for a
   particular enterprise. Different locations may mean within the same
   country but across different geographical locations, or outside the
   country even in a different continent. These data centers may be
   serving the enterprise or multiple enterprises / tenants wherein the
   regular enterprise site may request data from a data center site
   which could be one of the data center sites proximal to the
   enterprise site. Proximity is usually calculated based on a metric
   that is bandwidth driven or in terms with regard to the number of
   hops to reach that data center site hence bringing into play delay
   characteristics. Assume a topology where the data center sites and
   the enterprise sites are MPLS based L3VPN sites that are being
   provided connectivity through a Service Provider deploying Layer 3
   VPNs. Given such a topology it is possible that replication of data
   happens across the data centers in a timely manner to keep the data
   active and refreshed across all data center sites. Suitable
   mechanisms for such replication will come into play for this purpose.
   Thus any of the data centers can cater to the request from a user
   site.

   It is possible that power consumption in each data center may vary
   according to the load on each data center. It would be prudent to
   introduce a scheme where the power metric coupled with other metrics
   such as bandwidth and delay be used by a Provider Edge router in a
   L3VPN scenario to direct the packets or requests from regular user
   sites to such data centers with the least such metric. This is in
   line with the follow-the-moon strategy of directing requests for data
   and compute to data centers which are power-wise more efficient
   during the night or during the day. This draft document lays out one
   such proposal.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-balaji-panet-dc-label-semantic-for-pwr

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-balaji-panet-dc-label-semantic-for-pwr-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/