Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-dns-applications-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:47:09 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Architectural Considerations on Application Features in the DNS
	Author(s)       : Jon Peterson
                          Olaf Kolkman
                          Hannes Tschofenig
                          Bernard Aboba
	Filename        : draft-iab-dns-applications-07.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2013-02-25

Abstract:
   A number of Internet applications rely on the Domain Name System
   (DNS) to support their operations.  Many applications use the DNS to
   locate services for a domain; some for example transform identifiers
   other than domain names into formats that the DNS can process, and
   then fetch application data or service location data from the DNS.
   Proposals incorporating sophisticated application behavior using DNS
   as a substrate have raised questions about the role of the DNS as an
   application platform.  This document explores the architectural
   consequences of using the DNS to implement certain application
   features, and provides guidance to future application designers as to
   the limitations of the DNS as a substrate and the situations in which
   alternative designs should be considered.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-dns-applications

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-dns-applications-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iab-dns-applications-07

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/