Subject: I-D Action: draft-elkins-6man-ipv6-ipid-needed-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 06:11:18 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 IPID Needed
	Author(s)       : Nalini Elkins
                          Lawrence Kratzke
                          Michael Ackermann
                          Keven Haining
	Filename        : draft-elkins-6man-ipv6-ipid-needed-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-02-01

Abstract:
The IPv4 main header contained a 16-bit IP Identification (IPID) field
used for fragmentation and reassembly.  In practice, this field
was commonly used by network diagnosticians for tracking packets. In
IPv6, the IPID has been moved to the Fragment header, and would only
be used when fragmentation is required.  Thus, the IPID field in IPv6,
is no longer able to be utilized in the valuable role it played in
IPv4, relative to diagnostics and problem resolution.  This causes
great concern in particular for end users and large enterprises, for
whom Network/Application availability and performance can directly and
profoundly affect bottom line financials. Several viable solutions to
this situation exist. One potential solution is included in later
sections of this RFC, but the primary intention of this RFC is to
initiate action by the IETF on this issue, perhaps in the form of a
Working Group Subcommittee.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-elkins-6man-ipv6-ipid-needed

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elkins-6man-ipv6-ipid-needed-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/