Subject: I-D Action: draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-vula-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:37:51 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Vehicle Identification Number-Based Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses (VULA)
	Author(s)       : Sofiane Imadali
                          Alexandru Petrescu
                          Christophe Janneteau
	Filename        : draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-vula-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2013-02-18

Abstract:
   The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is standardized in ISO-3779
   and ISO-3780.  The VIN is made of 17 alphanumeric characters code
   that uniquely identifies a vehicle worldwide.  Some public
   information related to a vehicle can be obtained knowing its VIN
   code.  This code may also be used to enable novel vehicular
   networking communications.

   RFC 4193 introduces a globally unique IPv6 unicast address format
   intended for local communications, usually inside of a site.  These
   addresses (ULA) are not expected to be routable on the global
   Internet.  This document introduces a method to build a VIN-based
   IPv6 Prefix that is intended for local communications involving more
   than one hop (VULA).  The VIN-based generated prefix is assured to be
   unique among other VIN-based generated prefixes.  Typically, in a
   scenario involving several vehicles, each single vehicle (in which
   one Mobile Router is in charge) is capable of generating its own
   unique infrastructure-independent globally-scoped VIN-based IPv6
   prefix.  This document also describes some use cases where VULA could
   be exploited.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-vula

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-vula-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/