Subject: I-D Action: draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:03:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Model Based Internet Performance Metrics
	Author(s)       : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics-01.txt
	Pages           : 30
	Date            : 2013-02-25

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of model based metrics designed to determine
   if a long path can meet predefined end-to-end application performance
   targets.  This is done by section-by-section testing -- by applying a
   suite of single property tests to successive sections of a long path.
   In many cases these single property tests are based on existing IPPM
   metrics, with the addition of success and validity criteria.  The
   sub-path at a time tests are designed to facilitate IP providers
   eliminating all known conditions that might prevent the full end-to-
   end path from meeting the users target performance.

   This approach makes it possible to to determine the IP performance
   requirements needed to support the desired end-to-end TCP
   performance.  The IP metrics are based on traffic patterns that mimic
   TCP but are precomputed independently of the actual behavior of TCP
   over the sub-path under test.  This makes the measurements open loop,
   eliminating nearly all of the difficulties encountered by traditional
   bulk transport metrics, which rely on congestion control equilibrium
   behavior.

   A natural consequence of this methodology is verifiable network
   measurement: measurements from any given vantage point are repeatable
   from other vantage points.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/