Subject: I-D Action: draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 15:59:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A Simple Secure Addressing Generation Scheme for IPv6 AutoConfiguration (SSAS)
	Author(s)       : Hosnieh Rafiee
                          Christoph Meinel
	Filename        : draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2013-02-25

Abstract:
   The default method for IPv6 address generation uses an
   Organizationally Unique Identifier (OUI) assigned by the IEEE
   Standards Association and an Extension Identifier assigned to the
   hardware manufacturer [1] (section 2.5.1 RFC-4291) [RFC4291]. This
   means that a node will always have the same Interface ID (IID)
   whenever it connects to a new network. Since the node's IP address
   does not change, the node is vulnerable to privacy related attacks.
   To address this problem there are currently two mechanisms being used
   to randomize the IID that do not use the MAC address or other unique
   values in the IID generation; Cryptographically Generated Addresses
   (CGA) [RFC3972] and Privacy Extension [RFC4941]. The problem with the
   former approach is the computational cost involved for the IID
   generation and verification. The problem with the latter approach is
   that it lacks the necessary security and provides the node with only
   partial protection against privacy related attacks. This document
   proposes the use of a new algorithm for use in the generation of the
   IID while, at the same time, securing the node against some types of
   attack, like IP spoofing. These attacks are prevented with the
   addition of a signature to the messages sent over the network and by
   direct use of a public key in the IP address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rafiee-6man-ssas

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rafiee-6man-ssas-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/