Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 01:30:48 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IPv6 and UDP Checksums for Tunneled Packets
	Author(s)       : Marshall Eubanks
                          AmericaFree.TV LLC
                          P.F. Chimento
                          Magnus Westerlund
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-08.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-02-21

Abstract:
   This document provides an update of the Internet Protocol version 6
   (IPv6) specification (RFC2460) to improve the performance in the use
   case where a tunnel protocol uses UDP with IPv6 to tunnel packets.
   The performance improvement is obtained by relaxing the IPv6 UDP
   checksum requirement for any suitable tunnel protocol where header
   information is protected on the "inner" packet being carried.  This
   relaxation removes the overhead associated with the computation of
   UDP checksums on IPv6 packets used to carry tunnel protocols.  The
   specification describes how the IPv6 UDP checksum requirement can be
   relaxed for the situation where the encapsulated packet itself
   contains a checksum.  The limitations and risks of this approach are
   described, and restrictions specified on the use of the method.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-08

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/