Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 07:28:30 -0800

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : Multicast UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers
    Author(s)     : G. Shepherd
    Filename      : draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines
    Pages         : 9 
    Date          : March 8, 2013 
    
   The multi-recipient nature of Multicast prevents the use of any pont-
   to-point connection-oriented transport, therefore restricts all
   Multicast data to be sent over the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).  UDP
   provides a minimal message-passing transport that has no inherent
   congestion control mechanisms.  Because congestion control is
   critical to the stable operation of the Internet, applications and
   upper-layer protocols that choose to use Multicast UDP as an Internet
   service must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion collapse and to
   establish some degree of fairness with concurrent traffic.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   multicast applications and higher-level protocols.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.