Subject: I-D Action: draft-resnick-on-consensus-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:55:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : On Consensus and Humming in the IETF
	Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
	Filename        : draft-resnick-on-consensus-02.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-03-18

Abstract:
   The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
   a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
   IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
   technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
   by a "majority rules" philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
   like "humming" instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
   actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
   letting the majority win the day, without consideration of minority
   concerns.  This document is a collection of thoughts on what rough
   consensus is, how we have gotten away from it, and the things we can
   do in order to really achieve rough consensus.

      Note: This document contains the musings of an individual.  Right
      now, it is just some rough notes and has lots of holes that need
      to be filled in.  Even if those holes are filled, in its current
      form, it is not intended to be published as an RFC, let alone
      being a BCP for a change of IETF policy.  If it evolves into such
      a thing, great.  If it simply sparks discussion as an Internet
      Draft, that's a perfectly fine outcome.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-resnick-on-consensus

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-on-consensus-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-resnick-on-consensus-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/