Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:40:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Processing of IPv6 "atomic" fragments
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-04.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2013-03-20

Abstract:
   The IPv6 specification allows packets to contain a Fragment Header
   without the packet being actually fragmented into multiple pieces (we
   refer to these packets as "atomic fragments").  Such packets are
   typically sent by hosts that have received an ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big"
   error message that advertises a "Next-Hop MTU" smaller than 1280
   bytes, and are currently processed by some implementations as normal
   "fragmented traffic" (i.e., they are "reassembled" with any other
   queued fragments that supposedly correspond to the same original
   packet).  Thus, an attacker can cause hosts to employ "atomic
   fragments" by forging ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" error messages, and
   then launch any fragmentation-based attacks against such traffic.
   This document discusses the generation of the aforementioned "atomic
   fragments" and the corresponding security implications.
   Additionally, this document formally updates RFC 2460 and RFC 5722
   such that IPv6 atomic fragments are processed independently of any
   other fragments, thus completely eliminating the aforementioned
   attack vector.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/