Subject: I-D Action: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:54:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs
	Author(s)       : Michelle Cotton
                          Barry Leiba
                          Thomas Narten
	Filename        : draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-02.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2013-03-29

Abstract:
   Many protocols make use of points of extensibility that use constants
   to identify various protocol parameters.  To ensure that the values
   used in these fields do not have conflicting uses, and to promote
   interoperability, their allocation is often coordinated by a central
   authority.  For IETF protocols, that role is filled by the Internet
   Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

   To manage a given namespace prudently, IANA needs guidance describing
   the conditions under which new values should be assigned, as well as
   when and how modifications to existing values can be made.  This
   document defines a framework for the documentation of these
   guidelines by specification authors, in order to assure that the
   guidance given to IANA is clear and addresses the various issues that
   are likely in the operation of a registry.

   This is the third edition, and obsoletes RFC 5226.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/