Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-identifier-comparison-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:01:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Issues in Identifier Comparison for Security Purposes
	Author(s)       : Dave Thaler
	Filename        : draft-iab-identifier-comparison-09.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2013-03-10

Abstract:
   Identifiers such as hostnames, URIs, IP addresses, and email
   addresses are often used in security contexts to identify security
   principals and resources.  In such contexts, an identifier presented
   via some protocol is often compared using some policy to make
   security decisions such as whether the security principal may access
   the resource, what level of authentication or encryption is required,
   etc.  If the parties involved in a security decision use different
   algorithms to compare identifiers, then failure scenarios ranging
   from denial of service to elevation of privilege can result.  This
   document provides a discussion of these issues that designers should
   consider when defining identifiers and protocols, and when
   constructing architectures that use multiple protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-identifier-comparison

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-identifier-comparison-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iab-identifier-comparison-09

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/