Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 06:15:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Operational Security Capabilities for IP Network Infrastructure Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Network Reconnaissance in IPv6 Networks
	Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
                          Tim Chown
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-01.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2013-04-30

Abstract:
   IPv6 offers a much larger address space than that of its IPv4
   counterpart.  The standard /64 IPv6 subnets can (in theory)
   accommodate approximately 1.844 * 10^19 hosts, thus resulting in a
   much lower host density (#hosts/#addresses) than their IPv4
   counterparts.  As a result, it is widely assumed that it would take a
   tremendous effort to perform address scanning attacks against IPv6
   networks, and therefore IPv6 address scanning attacks have long been
   considered unfeasible.  This document analyzes how traditional
   address scanning techniques apply to IPv6 networks, and also explores
   a number of other techniques that can be employed for IPv6 network
   reconnaissance.  Additionally, this document formally obsoletes RFC
   5157.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/