Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:01:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Applicability of MPLS-TP Linear Protection for Ring Topologies
	Author(s)       : Yaacov Weingarten
                          Stewart Bryant
                          Danielle Ceccarelli
                          Diego Caviglia
                          Francesco Fondelli
                          Marco Corsi
                          Bo Wu
                          Xuehui Dai
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-05.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2013-04-04

Abstract:
   This document presents an applicability of existing MPLS protection
   mechanisms, both local and end-to-end, to Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) in ring topologies.  This
   document does not propose any new mechanisms or protocols.
   Protection on rings offers a number of opportunities for optimization
   as the protection choices are starkly limited (all traffic traveling
   one way around a ring can only be switched to travel the other way on
   the ring), but also suffers from some complications caused by the
   limitations of the topology.

   Requirements for MPLS-TP protection especially for protection in ring
   topologies are discussed in "Requirements of an MPLS Transport
   Profile" (RFC 5654) and "MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP)
   Survivability Framework" (RFC 6372).  This document shows how MPLS-TP
   linear protection as defined in RFC 6378 can be applied to single
   ring topologies, discusses how most of the requirements are met, and
   describes scenarios in which the function provided by applying linear
   protection in a ring topology falls short of some of the
   requirements.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task Force
   (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union Telecommunications
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network as
   defined by the ITU-T.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/