Subject: I-D Action: draft-duker-as2-reliability-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:33:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Operational Reliability for EDIINT AS2
	Author(s)       : John Duker
                          Dale Moberg
	Filename        : draft-duker-as2-reliability-13.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-04-17

Abstract:
One goal of this document is to define approaches to achieve a "once
and only once" delivery of messages. The EDIINT AS2 protocol [AS2] is
implemented by a number of software tools on a variety of platforms
with varying capabilities and with varying network service quality.
Although the AS2 protocol defines a unique "Message-ID", current
implementations of AS2 do not provide a standard method to prevent
the same message (re-transmitted by the initial sender) from reaching
back-end business applications at the initial receiver.

A second goal is to reduce retransmissions and failures when AS2 is used
in a synchronous mode for transmitting MDNs.  There can be a large
latency between receipt of the POSTed entity body and the MDN response
caused by the operations of decompressing, decrypting, and signature
checks. Uncoordinated timeout policies and intermediate devices dropping
connections have interfered with reliable data exchange. The use of an
HTTP 102(Processing) status code is described to mitigate these
difficulties. Use of these reliability features is indicated by
presence of the "AS2-Reliability" value in the EDIINT-Features header.

Intended Status

The intent of this document is to be placed on the RFC track as an
Informational RFC.

Feedback Instructions:
NOTE TO RFC EDITOR:  This section should be removed by the RFC editor
prior to publication.

If you want to provide feedback on this draft, follow these
guidelines:

-Send feedback via e-mail to the ietf-ediint list for discussion,
with "AS2 Reliability" in the Subject field. To enter or follow the
discussion, you need to subscribe to [email-masked].

-Be specific as to what section you are referring to, preferably
quoting the portion that needs modification, after which you state
your comments.

-If you are recommending some text to be replaced with your suggested
text, again, quote the section to be replaced, and be clear on the
section in question.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-duker-as2-reliability

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duker-as2-reliability-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-duker-as2-reliability-13

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/