Subject: I-D Action: draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 08:44:31 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Third-Party ALTO Server Discovery (3pdisc)
	Author(s)       : Sebastian Kiesel
                          Kilian Krause
                          Martin Stiemerling
	Filename        : draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-03.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2013-05-16

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   provide guidance to applications that have to select one or several
   hosts from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired
   resource.  ALTO is realized by a client-server protocol.  Before an
   ALTO client can ask for guidance it needs to discover one or more
   ALTO servers that can provide suitable guidance.

   This document specifies a procedure for third-party ALTO server
   discovery, which can be used if the ALTO client is not co-located
   with the actual resource consumer, but instead embedded in a third
   party such as a peer-to-peer tracker.

   Technically, the algorithm specified in this document takes one
   IP address and a U-NAPTR Service Parameter (i.e., "ALTO:http" or
   "ALTO:https") as parameters.  It performs several DNS lookups (for
   PTR, SOA, and U-NAPTR resource records) and returns one or more
   URI(s) of information resources related to that IP address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kist-alto-3pdisc

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kist-alto-3pdisc-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/