Subject: I-D Action: draft-dukhovni-smtp-opportunistic-tls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 20:51:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : SMTP security via opportunistic DANE TLS
	Author(s)       : Viktor Dukhovni
	Filename        : draft-dukhovni-smtp-opportunistic-tls-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2013-05-18

Abstract:
   This memo describes an experimental protocol for opportunistic TLS
   security based on the DANE TLSA PKI.  The design goal is an
   incremental transition of the Internet email backbone (MTA to MTA
   SMTP traffic) from today's unauthenticated and typically unencrypted
   connections to TLS encrypted and authenticated delivery when the
   client is DANE TLSA aware and the server domain publishes DANE TLSA
   records for its MX hosts.  This protocol has been implemented by
   author in the Postfix MTA.  It is hoped that other MTA
   implementations will find this protocol well suited to their needs
   and will adopt interoperable implementations.  This protocol may be
   suited to other use-cases for opportunistic TLS beyond SMTP, but such
   use-cases are not covered here, and will need to be defined in
   separate specifications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dukhovni-smtp-opportunistic-tls

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dukhovni-smtp-opportunistic-tls-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/