Subject: I-D Action: draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:01:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Router Advertisement based privacy extension in IPv6 autoconfiguration
	Author(s)       : Hosnieh Rafiee
                          Christoph Meinel
	Filename        : draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-05-14

Abstract:
   Privacy is an important issue concerning many governments and users
   with its importance becoming more evident every day. Nodes might
   change their IP addresses frequently in order to avoid being tracked
   by attackers. This frequent IP address change also helps in the
   prevention of information being leaked by nodes. In IPv6 networks
   there is currently one solution to maintain the privacy of nodes when
   IPv6 StateLess Address AutoConfiguration (SLAAC) (RFC 4662) is used.
   Unfortunately there are some problems associated with this solution
   which entails the use of the Privacy Extension (RFC 4941). Some of
   these problems are not generating a new Interface ID (IID) after
   changing the router prefix, the fact that nodes may use an IID that
   was generated based on a MAC address and use this in their response,
   the act of cutting the current connections to other nodes if the max
   lifetime of the old IID has elapsed, and a need to have stable
   storage for generating a randomized IID. The RFC also gives no
   explanation as to how to use CGA in its randomizing solution when
   stable storage is not available. The purpose of this document is to
   address these issues and to update the current RFC.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/