Subject: I-D Action: draft-elkins-v6ops-ipv6-packet-sequence-needed-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 20:43:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Packet Sequence Number Needed
	Author(s)       : Nalini Elkins
                          Michael S. Ackermann
                          Keven Haining
                          Sigfrido Perdomo
                          William Jouris
                          David Boyes
	Filename        : draft-elkins-v6ops-ipv6-packet-sequence-needed-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2013-05-30

Abstract:
   For a number of Enterprise Data Center Operators (EDCO) both real-
   time and after the fact problem resolution is critical.  Two metrics
   are critical for timely end-to-end problem resolution, without
   impacting an operational production network. They are: packet
   sequence number and packet timestamp. Packet sequence number is
   required for diagnostics. Packet timestamp is required to calculate
   end-to-end response time. Current methods are inadequate for these
   purposes because they assume unreasonable access to intermediate
   devices, are cost prohibitive, require infeasible changes to a
   running production network, or do not provide timely data. This
   document provides the background and rationale for the packet
   sequence number which is a part of the IPv6 Performance and
   Diagnostic Metrics Destination Option (PDM).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-elkins-v6ops-ipv6-packet-sequence-needed

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-elkins-v6ops-ipv6-packet-sequence-needed-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/