Subject: I-D Action: draft-otis-ipv6-email-authent-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 15:20:16 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Email Authentication
	Author(s)       : Douglas Otis
                          Dave Rand
	Filename        : draft-otis-ipv6-email-authent-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2013-05-09

Abstract:
   IPv6 facilitates network routing over an incredibly vast address
   space, but abuse mitigation resolving to underlying structures of
   routes or blocks of prefixes would be highly disruptive due to
   collateral effects.  Use of domains minimizes unintended coincidental
   blocking while offering the consolidation necessary to facilitate
   connection management.  Currently, email lacks conventions ensuring
   SMTP clients can be identified by an authenticated domain.

   DKIM is independent of intended recipients and domains accountable
   for having sent email.  SPF normally requires several text based
   responses imposing high overhead to query various locations.  These
   locations can be constructed by email-address local-part macros which
   can flood caches or leverage DNS name compression to further increase
   network DDoS amplifications when receivers' attempt to verify message
   sources which may then only offer authorization, not authentication
   of accountable domains.  Most email abuse, including what might be
   imposed by SPF, is prevented with comprehensive mapping of the
   address space, but such mapping is impractical with IPv6.

   An effective authenticated domain name alternative is needed to
   provide a basis for assessing and reacting to abusive behavior.  For
   most high scale protocols, this involves cryptography.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-otis-ipv6-email-authent

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-otis-ipv6-email-authent-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-otis-ipv6-email-authent-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/