Subject: I-D Action: draft-add-location-to-ipv6-header-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 05:53:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Enhancing Location Based IP Services
	Author(s)       : Ammar J. Salih
	Filename        : draft-add-location-to-ipv6-header-01.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2013-05-17

Abstract:
   This document describes IP-LOC, a proposed extension to IPv6 header
   which suggests adding optional geo-location field, in order to
   enhance existing geo-location based IP service as well as adding new
   ones.

   The current method of determining geo-location of IP traffic is
   through RIR (Regional Internet Registry) database, this information
   is not very accurate as it depends on how the ISP registers its IP
   subnets, that is normally done in a country/city format.

   It also assumes that in the future, GPS capability could be added to
   the router itself (just like smart phones) and packet marking and
   classification based on geo-location will be required.

   QoS, firewall and routing based on geo-location might also be
   required in the future when mobile routers move from one geo-location
   to another, which has a different policy.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-add-location-to-ipv6-header

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-add-location-to-ipv6-header-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-add-location-to-ipv6-header-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/