Subject: I-D Action: draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 00:57:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Locating SIP servers in a dual stack IP network
	Author(s)       : Olle E. Johansson
                          Gonzalo Salgueiro
	Filename        : draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2013-06-24

Abstract:
   RFC 3263 defines how a SIP implementation given an URL should locate
   the next hop SIP server using DNS.  The RFC repeatedly states that
   the implementation should look up IPv4 or IPv6 addresses, which is
   not a good solution considering the issues that lead to the
   development of Happy Eyeballs (RFC XXX).  This document corrects this
   behaviour for dual stack SIP implementations so that an
   implementation so that an implementation should look up both IPv4 and
   IPv6 addresses.  This way, the implementation can find the best
   network flow and have a greater chance in success in reaching the
   service.

   This document also clarifies DNS SRV usage for single stack clients.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/