Subject: I-D Action: draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 02:01:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : "Non Accession to the ITRs Considered Harmful"
	Author(s)       : Richard Hill
	Filename        : draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2013-06-25

Abstract:
  One of the treaties administered by the International
  Telecommunications Union is the International Telecommunications
  Regulations (ITRs), whose purpose is to promote the development of
  telecommunication services.  The 1988 version of the ITRs opened the
  way for privatisation, liberalization, and the growth of the Internet
  and mobile networks.  Given the subsequent significant structure and
  technological changes, the ITU membership agreed to meet in 2012 to
  revise the ITRs.  While consensus was found on an overwhelming
  majority of the treaty text, some provisions proved to be
  controversial, leading to a split in the membership and sharp
  criticism of selected provisions.

  As a result, some ITU Member States did not sign the treaty.  This
  document analyses that criticism and attempts to place it in context;
  it identifies problems that may arise if states to not accede
  to the treaty, and suggests a way forward, concluding that not
  acceding may have undesirable results for the citizens of
  non-signatory countries and for interoperability in general.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/