Subject: I-D Action: draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:31:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Multicast UDP Usage Guidelines for Application Designers
	Author(s)       : Greg Shepherd
	Filename        : draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2013-06-12

Abstract:
   The multi-recipient nature of Multicast prevents the use of any pont-
   to-point connection-oriented transport, therefore restricts all
   Multicast data to be sent over the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).  UDP
   provides a minimal message-passing transport that has no inherent
   congestion control mechanisms.  Because congestion control is
   critical to the stable operation of the Internet, applications and
   upper-layer protocols that choose to use Multicast UDP as an Internet
   service must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion collapse and to
   establish some degree of fairness with concurrent traffic.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   multicast applications and higher-level protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-shepherd-multicast-udp-guidelines-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/