Subject: I-D Action: draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 05:31:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : LISP ITR Graceful Restart
	Author(s)       : Damien Saucez
                          Olivier Bonaventure
                          Luigi Iannone
                          Clarence Filsfils
	Filename        : draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2013-06-24

Abstract:
   The Locator/ID Separation Protocol (LISP) is a map-and-encap
   mechanism to enable communications between hosts identified with
   their Endpoint IDentifier (EID) over the Internet where EIDs are not
   routable.  To do so, packets toward EIDs are encapsulated in packets
   with routing locators (RLOCs) to form dynamic tunnels.  An Ingress
   Tunnel Router (ITR) that encapsulates EID packets determines tunnel
   endpoints via mappings that associate EIDs to RLOCs.  Before
   encapsulating a packet, the ITR queries the mapping system to obtain
   the mapping associated to the EID of the packet it must encapsulate.
   Such mapping is cached by the ITR in its local EID-to-RLOC Cache for
   any subsequent encapsulation for the same EID.  LISP is scalable
   because EID-to-RLOC mappings are cached on ITRs.  Initially, the
   cache is empty and is populated progressively according to the
   traffic traversing the ITR.  However, after an ITR is restarted,
   e.g., for maintenance reason, its cache is empty which means that all
   packets that are re-routed to the freshly restarted ITR will cause
   cache misses and a potentially high loss rate.  In this draft, we
   present mechanisms to reduce the negative impact on traffic caused by
   the restart of an ITR in a LISP network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-saucez-lisp-itr-graceful-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/