Subject: I-D Action: draft-ma-core-stateful-observe-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 05:01:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Stateful Observation in CoAP
	Author(s)       : Changsha Ma
                          Peilin Hong
                          Kaiping Xue
	Filename        : draft-ma-core-stateful-observe-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2013-06-24

Abstract:
   The Observe Option allows a CoAP client to observe changes in the
   state of resources and obtain a current representation of the last
   resource state.  To be an observer of an origin server's resources,
   the client is required to register its interest with the server.  A
   successful registration will make the client added into the server's
   observation list, while a failed one MAY drive the client to re-
   register.

   However, repeated and frequent re-registrations cannot guarantee the
   client to eventually become an observer of the target server.  In the
   case that the server is unable or unwilling to accept an observer,
   the time-intensive re-registrations will just bring redundant
   messages in the constrained network and considerable energy
   consumption on both the client and the server.

   This memo defines a new CoAP option, State, for providing stateful
   observation on the resources of CoAP servers.  By observing the state
   of the server in terms of the Observe Option, a client can explicitly
   learn when the server will not actively reject an observation
   registration, and then can wisely performs the re-registration.  This
   avoids the potential registration flooding that causes considerable
   network overhead and energy consumption on the constrained nodes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ma-core-stateful-observe

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ma-core-stateful-observe-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ma-core-stateful-observe-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/