Subject: I-D Action: draft-li-cp-usecases-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:16:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Fine-Grained Control of Control-Plane Performance: Use Cases and Mechanisms
	Author(s)       : Li Erran Li
                          Yan Luo
                          Haibin Song
                          Y. Richard Yang
	Filename        : draft-li-cp-usecases-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   It is commonly assumed that a system controller or network management
   system has complete knowledge of the data plane, especially in a
   software-defined network (SDN).  That is, the controller knows
   performance metrics such as the flow table size of each switch, the
   rate of rule updates between a switch control plane and its data
   plane, and the maximum latency to install a rule in the flow table of
   a switch.  However, in reality, this is not the case.  Measurement
   studies show that the flow table size depends on the structure of the
   rules installed.  The flow table size is much smaller if there are
   many wild card rules.  The setup latency also depends on the already
   installed rules.  If there are many wild card rules installed, the
   latency can be much higher.  Currently, data centers pre-setup the
   rules long before the actual associated traffic starts to flow
   through the network.  This puts constraints on the use cases.  In
   this document, we first show that many use cases demand a more
   predictable control plane.  The use cases are applied to networks
   that require control-plane performance information for dynamic
   configuration, as well as SDN networks.  We then discuss potential
   mechanisms to enable fine-grained control of control-plane
   performance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-li-cp-usecases

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-cp-usecases-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/