Subject: I-D Action: draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 14:01:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Hybrid Unicast/Multicast DNS-Based Service Discovery
	Author(s)       : Stuart Cheshire
	Filename        : draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-07-11

Abstract:
   Performing DNS-Based Service Discovery using purely Multicast DNS
   allows discovery only of services present on the local link.  Using a
   very large local link with thousands of hosts improves service
   discovery, but at the cost of large amounts of multicast traffic.

   Performing DNS-Based Service Discovery using purely Unicast DNS is
   more efficient, but requires configuration of DNS Update keys on the
   devices offering the services, which can be onerous for simple
   devices like printers and network cameras.

   Hence a compromise is needed, that provides easy service discovery
   without requiring either large amounts of multicast traffic or
   onerous configuration.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-cheshire-mdnsext-hybrid-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/