Subject: I-D Action: draft-ivov-mmusic-multiple-sources-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:30:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Economical Use of the Offer/Answer Model in Sessions with Multiple Media Sources
	Author(s)       : Emil Ivov
	Filename        : draft-ivov-mmusic-multiple-sources-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   The Session Description Protocol (SDP) Offer/Answer model describes a
   mechanism that allows two entities to negotiate a multimedia session.
   The SDP syntax of the Offer/Answer model uses constructs known as
   media (m=) lines to describe each medium.  In SDP itself these "m="
   lines were designed to describe RTP sessions with any number of
   streams (SSRCs).  Yet, Offer/Answer implementations in SIP
   applications have most often used them as an envelope for a maximum
   of two RTP streams (SSRCs) at a time: one in each direction.  The
   most common reason for this has been the fact these applications
   could not meaningfully render multiple SSRCs simultaneously.

   The above situation has led to difficulties once the need to
   represent multiple (SSRCs) in an interoperable manner became more
   common.

   This document explores the use of "m=" lines for the negotiation of
   sessions with multiple media sources, as per their original design in
   SDP.  It presents the advantages of such an approach as well as the
   challenges that it implies in terms of interoperability with already
   deployed legacy devices.

   The model described here was first presented in the RTCWEB No Plan
   proposal.  The reason to spin it off into this new document is mainly
   to separate the parts related to Offer/Answer and "m=" line
   semantics, from those that are specific to WebRTC.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ivov-mmusic-multiple-sources

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ivov-mmusic-multiple-sources-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/