Subject: I-D Action: draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-value-name-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:56:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : ALTO Cost Value Name
	Author(s)       : Sabine Randriamasy
	Filename        : draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-value-name-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   The IETF ALTO protocol provides guidance to content delivery
   applications such as P2P or Content Delivery Networks (CDN), which
   have to select one or several hosts or endpoints from a set of
   candidates that are able to provide a desired data resource.  This
   guidance shall be based on parameters that affect performance and
   efficiency of the data transmission between the hosts, for instance
   the topological distance or the routing cost between them.  To this
   end, ALTO Servers deployed by Network Operators (NO), provide
   requesting ALTO Clients with information, currently such as the NO-
   centric view on the network topology, the candidate application
   endpoints with attributes such as their connectivity type.

   The present draft proposes to extend the cost information provided by
   the ALTO protocol by providing, for a same cost metric, several
   possible cost values.  Which value to provide depends on qualitative
   criteria as opposed to quantitative criteria such as time.  The
   purpose is to allow a finer grained decision on which application
   endpoint or sub network to access given that their routing cost
   values may depend on criteria suh as the access technology of the end
   system consuming the resources or the policy applied for the client
   requesting ALTO information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-value-name

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-value-name-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/