Subject: I-D Action: draft-eardley-mptcp-implementations-survey-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:21:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Survey of MPTCP Implementations
	Author(s)       : Philip Eardley
	Filename        : draft-eardley-mptcp-implementations-survey-02.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2013-07-12

Abstract:
   This document presents results from the survey to gather information
   from people who have implemented MPTCP, in particular to help
   progress the protocol from Experimental to Standards track.

   The document currently includes answers from four teams: a Linux
   implementation from UCLouvain, a FreeBSD implementation from
   Swinburne, an anonymous implementation in a commercial OS, and a
   NetScalar Firmware implementation from Citrix Systems, Inc. Thank-
   you!

   In summary, we have four independent implementations of all the MPTCP
   signalling messages, with the exception of address management, and
   some interoperabiity testing has been done by the other three
   implementations with the 'reference' Linux implementation.  So it
   appears that the RFC is (at least largely) clear and correct.  On
   address management, we have only one implementation of ADD_ADDR with
   two teams choosing not to implement it.  We have one implementation
   of the working group's coupled congestion control (RFC6356) and none
   of the MPTCP-aware API (RFC6897).

   The main suggested improvements are around

   o  how MPTCP falls back (if the signalling is interrupted by a
      middlebox): (1) corner cases that are not handled properly, (2) at
      the IETF, the MPTCP community should work with middlebox vendors,
      either to reduce or eliminate the need for fallback or to
      understand the middlebox interactions better.

   o  security: both better MPTCP security (perhaps building on SSL) and
      a lighter weight mechanism, preferably both in one mechanism.

   It is hoped that the next version can include information from any
   other implementations.  If you are an implementer and want to
   contribute your answers, please see the -01 version of this document
   for a blank survey ready to be filled in.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eardley-mptcp-implementations-survey

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eardley-mptcp-implementations-survey-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-eardley-mptcp-implementations-survey-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/