Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:51:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Architecural Introduction to the LISP Location-Identity Separation System
	Author(s)       : J. Noel Chiappa
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   LISP is an upgrade to the architecture of the IPvN internetworking
   system, one which separates location and identity (currently
   intermingled in IPvN addresses).  This is a change which has been
   identified by the IRTF as a critically necessary evolutionary
   architectural step for the Internet.  In LISP, nodes have both a
   'locator' (a name which says _where_ in the network's connectivity
   structure the node is) and an 'identifier' (a name which serves only
   to provide a persistent handle for the node).  A node may have more
   than one locator, or its locator may change over time (e.g. if the
   node is mobile), but it keeps the same identifier.

   One of the chief novelties of LISP, compared to other proposals for
   the separation of location and identity, is its approach to deploying
   this upgrade.  (In general, it is comparatively easy to conceive of
   new network designs, but much harder to devise approaches which will
   actually get deployed throughout the global network.)  LISP aims to
   achieve the near-ubiquitous deployment necessary for maximum
   exploitation of an architectural upgrade by i) minimizing the amount
   of change needed (existing hosts and routers can operate unmodified);
   and ii) by providing significant benefits to early adopters.

   This document is an introduction to the entire LISP system, for those
   who are unfamiliar with it.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/