Subject: I-D Action: draft-iyengar-minion-concept-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:53:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Minion - Service Model and Conceptual API
	Author(s)       : Janardhan Iyengar
                          Stuart Cheshire
                          Josh Graessley
	Filename        : draft-iyengar-minion-concept-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   Minion uses TCP-format packets on-the-wire, to provide full
   compatibility with existing NATs, Firewalls, and similar middleboxes,
   but provides a richer set of facilities to the application.  Minion's
   richer facilities include a message-oriented API rather than TCP's
   unstructured byte-stream service model, multiplexing of multiple
   messages (or message streams) on a single connection, interleaving of
   multiplexed messages (to eliminate head-of-line blocking), message
   cancellation, request/reply support, ordered and unordered messages,
   chained messages, multiple priority levels with byte-granularity
   preemption, and DTLS Security.  Minion can be implemented entirely as
   a user-level library, without waiting for any special support from OS
   vendors, and provides immediate benefits to application developers.
   Additionally, Minion is able to take advantage of some simple kernel
   extensions to provide enhanced services that go beyond what is
   possible with traditional TCP.  These kernel extensions are optional,
   and even without them, Minion offers worthwhile benefits to
   application developers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iyengar-minion-concept

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iyengar-minion-concept-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iyengar-minion-concept-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/