Subject: I-D Action: draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 13:59:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Flexible Multilevel TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
	Author(s)       : Radia Perlman
                          Donald Eastlake
                          Anoop Ghanwani
                          Hongjun Zhai
	Filename        : draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-06.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2013-07-04

Abstract:
   Extending TRILL to multiple levels has one challenge that is not
   addressed by the already-existing capability of IS-IS to have
   multiple levels. The issue is with RBridge nicknames. There have been
   two proposed approaches.  One approach, which we refer to as the
   "unique nickname" approach, gives unique nicknames to all the
   RBridges in the multilevel campus, either by having the
   level-1/level-2 border RBridges advertise which nicknames are not
   available for assignment in the area, or by partitioning the 16-bit
   nickname into an "area" field and a "nickname inside the area" field.
   The other approach, which we refer to as the "aggregated nickname"
   approach, involves assigning nicknames to the areas, and allowing
   nicknames to be reused in different areas, by having the border
   RBridges rewrite the nickname fields when entering or leaving an
   area. Each of those approaches has advantages and disadvantages. The
   design in this document allows a choice of approach in each area,
   allowing the simplicity of the unique nickname approach in
   installations in which there is no danger of running out of
   nicknames, and allowing nickname rewriting to be phased into larger
   installations on a per-area basis.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/