Subject: I-D Action: draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:33:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Layer-3 virtual network overlays based on BGP Layer-3 VPNs
	Author(s)       : Dhananjaya Rao
                          John Mullooly
                          Rex Fernando
	Filename        : draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-02.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   Virtual network overlays are being designed and deployed in various
   types of networks, including data centers.  These network overlays
   address several requirements including flexible network
   virtualization and multi-tenancy, increased scale, and support for
   mobility of virtual machines.  Such overlay networks can be used to
   provide both Layer-2 and Layer-3 network services to hosts at the
   network edge.  New packet encapsulations are being defined and
   standardized to support these virtual networks.  These
   encapsulations, such as VXLAN and NVGRE, are primarily based on IP
   and are currently defined to support a Layer-2 forwarding service.

   BGP based Layer-3 VPNs, as specified in RFC 4364, provide an industry
   proven and well-defined solution for supporting Layer-3 virtual
   network services.  However, RFC 4364 procedures use MPLS labels to
   provide the network virtualization capability in the data plane.
   With the increasing support for IP overlay encapsulations in data
   center devices, there is a strong preference to utilize this support
   to deploy Layer-3 virtual networks using the familiarpolicy and
   operational primitives of Layer-3 VPNs.

   This document describes the use of BGP Layer-3 VPNs alongwith the new
   IP-based virtual network overlay encapsulations to provide a Layer-3
   virtualization solution for all IP traffic, and specifies mechanisms
   to use the new encapsulations while continuing to leverage the BGP
   Layer-3 VPN control plane techniques and extensions.  This mechanism
   provides an efficient incremental solution to support forwarding for
   IP traffic, irrespective of whether it is destined within or across
   an IP subnet boundary.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-drao-bgp-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlays-02

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/