Subject: I-D Action: draft-drao-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlay-multicast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:44:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : L3VPN Virtual Network Overlay Multicast
	Author(s)       : Dhananjaya Rao
                          Vipin Jain
	Filename        : draft-drao-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlay-multicast-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-07-15

Abstract:
   Virtual network overlays are extremely useful for supporting
   multicast applications in multi-tenant data center networks, by
   distributing the per-tenant multicast state and forwarding actions at
   the network edges with minimal control plane load and simpler
   forwarding in the core.  A virtual overlay network may use existing
   encapsulations such as MPLS-in-GRE or newer IP based encapsulations
   such as VXLAN and NVGRE.

   IP multicast sources and receivers are very commonly spread out
   across multiple subnets.  Sources and receivers may also be spread
   within and outside a single network domain such as a data center.
   Hence, a Layer-3 multicast paradigm is the most suitable and
   efficient approach for delivery of IP multicast traffic.

   BGP based MVPNs provide a good basis for providing a solution to
   support IP multicast across these overlay networks.  An appropriate
   subset of the MVPN control plane and procedures are sufficient to
   support the requirements, providing for a simpler model of operation.
   This document describes the use of BGP based MVPNs alongwith the new
   IP-based virtual network overlay encapsulations to provide a Layer-3
   virtualization solution for IP multicast traffic, and specifies
   mechanisms to use the new encapsulations while continuing to leverage
   the BGP MVPN control plane techniques and extensions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-drao-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlay-multicast

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-drao-l3vpn-virtual-network-overlay-multicast-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/