Subject: I-D Action: draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 04:21:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Locating Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Servers in a Dual-Stack IP Network
	Author(s)       : Olle E. Johansson
                          Gonzalo Salgueiro
	Filename        : draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2013-07-30

Abstract:
   RFC 3263 defines how a Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
   implementation, given a SIP Uniform Resource Identifier (URI), should
   locate the next hop SIP server using Domain Name System (DNS)
   procedures.  The specification repeatedly states that the
   implementation should look up IPv4 or IPv6 addresses.  This is not a
   suitable solution and one that can cause severely degraded user
   experience dual-stack clients, as detailed in the Happy Eyeballs
   specification.  This document specifies amended procedures for dual-
   stack SIP implementations so that they look up both IPv4 and IPv6
   addresses.  This way, the SIP implementation can find the preferred
   network path and protocol with an improved chance of successfully
   reaching the desired service.  This document also clarifies DNS SRV
   usage for single-stack clients.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-johansson-sip-dual-stack-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/