Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-white-i2rs-use-case-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 15:53:15 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : Protocol Independent Use Cases for an Interface to the Routing System
    Author(s)     : R. White, et al
    Filename      : draft-white-i2rs-use-case
    Pages         : 10 
    Date          : Aug. 27, 2013 
    
   Programmatic interfaces to provide control over individual forwarding
   devices in a network promise to reduce operational costs while
   improving scaling, control, and visibility into the operation of
   large scale networks.  To this end, several programmatic interfaces
   have been proposed.  OpenFlow, for instance, provides a mechanism to
   replace the dynamic control plane processes on individual forwarding
   devices throughout a network with off box processes that interact
   with the forwarding tables on each device.  Another example is
   NETCONF, which provides a fast and flexible mechanism to interact
   with device configuration and policy.

   There is, however, no proposal which provides an interface to all
   aspects of the routing system as a system.  Such a system would not
   interact with the forwarding system on individual devices, but rather
   with the control plane processes already used to discover the best
   path to any given destination through the network, as well as
   interact with the routing information base (RIB), which feeds the
   forwarding table the information needed to actually switch traffic at
   a local level.

   This document describes a set of use cases such a system could
   fulfill.  It is designed to provide underlying support for the
   framework, policy, and other drafts describing the Interface to the
   Routing System (I2RS).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-white-i2rs-use-case-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.