Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 22:52:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Byte and Packet Congestion Notification
	Author(s)       : Bob Briscoe
                          Jukka Manner
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-11.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2013-08-01

Abstract:
   This document provides recommendations of best current practice for
   dropping or marking packets using any active queue management (AQM)
   algorithm, including random early detection (RED), BLUE, pre-
   congestion notification (PCN) and newer schemes such as CoDel and
   PIE.  We give three strong recommendations: (1) packet size should be
   taken into account when transports detect and respond to congestion
   indications, (2) packet size should not be taken into account when
   network equipment creates congestion signals (marking, dropping), and
   therefore (3) in the specific case of RED, the byte-mode packet drop
   variant that drops fewer small packets should not be used.  This memo
   updates RFC 2309 to deprecate deliberate preferential treatment of
   small packets in AQM algorithms.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-byte-pkt-congest-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/