Subject: I-D Action: draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 15:36:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Router Advertisement based privacy extension in IPv6 autoconfiguration
	Author(s)       : Hosnieh Rafiee
                          Christoph Meinel
	Filename        : draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-06.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-08-12

Abstract:
   Privacy is an important issue that concerns many governments and
   users and its importance becoming more evident every day. Nodes
   change their IP addresses frequently in order to avoid being tracked
   by attackers. The act of frequently changing IP addresses also helps
   in preventing nodes from leaking information. In IPv6 networks there
   is currently one solution for maintaining the privacy of nodes when
   IPv6 StateLess Address AutoConfiguration (SLAAC) (RFC 4862) is used.
   Unfortunately there are some problems associated with this solution
   which entails the use of the Privacy Extension (RFC 4941). One of the
   issues with this RFC concerns the wording that is used that allows
   the implementation to make the choice as to what approach to use, and
   in so doing, in some cases, the choice made is not the most prudent
   or best approach, and this thus is not ideal and can lead to some
   problems. Some of these problems are related to not generating a new
   Interface ID (IID) after changing the router prefix. Another concern
   is the fact that nodes may use an IID that was generated based on a
   MAC address as a public address, and then use this in their response.
   The act of cutting the current connections to other nodes, if the max
   lifetime of the old IID has elapsed, is also not clearly explained
   nor is whether or not the already used IID should be kept in stable
   storage, There is also a concern about the need to have stable
   storage available for the generation of a randomized IID. The
   document also did not clearly explain how to use the same approach,
   for the random value generation in all implementations, when there is
   a lack of available stable storage. The purpose of this document is
   to address these issues; to update the current RFC.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rafiee-6man-ra-privacy-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/