Subject: I-D Action: draft-lapukhov-bgp-sdn-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 15:14:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Centralized Routing Control in BGP Networks Using Link-State Abstraction
	Author(s)       : Petr Lapukhov
                          Edet Nkposong
	Filename        : draft-lapukhov-bgp-sdn-00.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2013-09-01

Abstract:
   Some operators deploy networks consisting of multiple BGP Autonomous-
   Systems (ASNs) under the same administrative control.  There are also
   implementations which use only one routing protocol, namely BGP, as
   in [I-D.lapukhov-bgp-routing-large-dc], for example.  In such
   designs, inter-AS traffic engineering is commonly implemented using
   BGP policies, by configuring multiple routers at the ASN boundaries.
   This distributed policy model is difficult to manage and scale due to
   its dependency on complex routing policies and the need to develop
   and maintain a model for per-prefix path preference signaling.  One
   example of such models could be standard BGP community-based (see
   [RFC1997]) signaling, which requires careful documentation and
   consistent configuration.  Furthermore, automating such policy
   configuration changes for the purpose of centralized management
   requires additional efforts and is dependent on a particular vendor's
   configuration management (CLI extensions, NetConf [RFC6241] etc).

   This document proposes a method for inter-AS traffic engineering for
   use with the kind of deployment scenarios outlined above.  No
   protocol changes or additional features are required to implement
   this method.  The key to the proposed methodology is a new software
   entity called "BGP Controller" - a special purpose application that
   peers with all eBGP speakers in the managed network.  This controller
   constructs live state of the underlying BGP ASN graph and presents
   multi-topology view of this graph via a simple API to third-party
   applications interested in performing network traffic engineering.
   An example application could be an operational tool used to drain
   traffic from network devices.  In response to changes in the logical
   network topology proposed by these applications, the controller
   computes new routing tables, and pushes them down to the network
   devices via the established BGP sessions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lapukhov-bgp-sdn

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lapukhov-bgp-sdn-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/