Subject: I-D Action: draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 12:21:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Secure Origin Identification: Problem Statement, Requirements, and Roadmap
	Author(s)       : Jon Peterson
                          Henning Schulzrinne
                          Hannes Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-02.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2013-09-04

Abstract:
   Over the past decade, SIP has become a major signaling protocol for
   voice communications, one which has replaced many traditional
   telephony deployments.  However, interworking SIP with the
   traditional telephone network has ultimately reduced the security of
   Caller ID systems.  Given the widespread interworking of SIP with the
   telephone network, the lack of effective standards for identifying
   the calling party in a SIP session has granted attackers new powers
   as they impersonate or obscure calling party numbers when
   orchestrating bulk commercial calling schemes, hacking voicemail
   boxes or even circumventing multi-factor authentication systems
   trusted by banks.  This document therefore examines the reasons why
   providing identity for telephone numbers on the Internet has proven
   so difficult, and shows how changes in the last decade may provide us
   with new strategies for attaching a secure identity to SIP sessions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/