Subject: I-D Action: draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 08:08:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoAP option for no server-response
	Author(s)       : Abhijan Bhattacharyya
                          Soma Bandyopadhyay
                          Arpan Pal
	Filename        : draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2013-09-06

Abstract:
   The server end-point does not respond with acknowledgment (ACK) in
   non-confirmable (NON) mode of CoAP. However, the server responds the
   client with a status code indicating "the result of the attempt to
   understand and satisfy the request". But there may be typical
   scenarios, while updating resources in NON mode, where any kind of
   response from the server may be considered redundant. Thus, in this
   case, the transaction becomes completely open-loop with no reverse
   path from the server to the client. This kind of exchange may be
   useful in constrained systems looking for maximized throughput with
   minimized resource consumption. This draft introduces a header
   option: 'No-Resp' to suppress responses from the server and
   discusses an exemplary but practical use case which actually
   motivated this proposition based on real experience. This option not
   only allows suppressing any kind of responses but allows suppressing
   a typical class or a combination of classes of responses. This
   option is applicable for both request/ response as well as resource-
   observe mode and may be effective for both unicast and multicast
   scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/