Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-lwig-tls-minimal-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 07:14:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Light-Weight Implementation Guidance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Hitchhiker's Guide to the (Datagram) Transport Layer Security Protocol for Smart Objects and Constrained Node Networks
	Author(s)       : Sandeep S. Kumar
                          Sye Loong Keoh
                          Hannes Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lwig-tls-minimal-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2013-09-04

Abstract:
   Transport Layer Security (TLS) is a widely used security protocol
   that offers communication security services at the transport layer.
   The initial design of TLS was focused on the protection of
   applications running on top of the Transmission Control Protocol
   (TCP), and was a good match for securing the Hypertext Transfer
   Protocol (HTTP).  Subsequent standardization efforts lead to the
   publication of the Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) protocol,
   which allows the re-use of the TLS security functionality and the
   payloads to be exchanged on top of the User Datagram Protocol (UDP).

   With the work on the Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP), as a
   specialized web transfer protocol for use with constrained nodes and
   constrained networks, DTLS is a preferred communication security
   protocol.

   Smart objects are constrained in various ways (e.g., CPU, memory,
   power consumption) and these limitations may impose restrictions on
   the protocol stack such a device runs. This document only looks at
   the security part of that protocol stacks and the ability to
   customize TLS/DTLS. To offer input for implementers and system
   architects this document illustrates the costs and benefits of
   various TLS/DTLS features for use with smart objects and constraint
   node networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-tls-minimal

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lwig-tls-minimal-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/