Subject: I-D Action: draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 00:18:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoAP option for no server-response
	Author(s)       : Abhijan Bhattacharyya
                          Soma Bandyopadhyay
                          Arpan Pal
	Filename        : draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2013-09-28

Abstract:
   There can be typical M2M scenarios where responses from the data
   sink to the data source against request/ notification from the
   source might be considered redundant. This kind of open-loop
   exchange (with no reverse path from the sink to the source) may be
   desired while updating resources or notifying about the updated
   status of a resource in constrained systems looking for maximized
   throughput with minimized resource consumption. CoAP already
   provides a non-confirmable (NON) mode of exchange where The
   receiving end-point does not respond with ACK. However, the
   receiving end-point responds the sender with a status code
   indicating "the result of the attempt to understand and satisfy the
   request".

   This draft introduces a header option: 'No-Resp' to suppress
   responses from the receiver and discusses exemplary use cases which
   motivated this proposition based on real experience. This option
   also provides granularity by allowing suppression of a particular
   class or a combination of classes of responses. This option is
   applicable for both request/ response as well as resource-observe
   mode and may be effective for both unicast and multicast scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/