Subject: I-D Action: draft-resnick-on-consensus-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 08:44:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : On Consensus and Humming in the IETF
	Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
	Filename        : draft-resnick-on-consensus-03.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2013-09-29

Abstract:
   The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
   a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
   IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
   technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
   by a "majority rule" philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
   like "humming" instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
   actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
   letting the majority win the day, without consideration of minority
   concerns.  This document is a collection of thoughts on what rough
   consensus is, how we have gotten away from it, and the things we can
   do in order to really achieve rough consensus.

      Note: This document contains the musings of an individual.  Right
      now, it still likely has many holes that need to be filled in.
      Even if those holes are filled, it's not clear that it should be
      published as an RFC, and certainly is not intended in its current
      form to be a BCP for a change of IETF policy.  If it evolves into
      such a thing, great.  If it simply sparks discussion as an
      Internet Draft, that's a perfectly fine outcome.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-resnick-on-consensus

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-on-consensus-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-resnick-on-consensus-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/