Subject: I-D Action: draft-miller-posh-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 15:14:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH)
	Author(s)       : Matthew Miller
                          Peter Saint-Andre
	Filename        : draft-miller-posh-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2013-09-06

Abstract:
   Experience has shown that it is extremely difficult to deploy proper
   PKIX certificates for TLS in multi-tenanted environments, since
   certification authorities will not issue certificates for hosted
   domains to hosting services, hosted domains do not want hosting
   services to hold their private keys, and hosting services wish to
   avoid liability for holding those keys.  As a result, domains hosted
   in multi-tenanted environments often deploy non-HTTP applications
   such as email and instant messaging using certificates that identify
   the hosting service, not the hosted domain.  Such deployments force
   end users and peer services to accept a certificate with an improper
   identifier, resulting in obvious security implications.  This
   document defines two methods that make it easier to deploy
   certificates for proper server identity checking in non-HTTP
   application protocols.  The first method enables the TLS client
   associated with a user agent or peer application server to obtain the
   end-entity certificate of a hosted domain over secure HTTP as an
   alternative to standard PKIX techniques.  The second method enables a
   hosted domain to securely delegate a non-HTTP application to a
   hosting service using redirects provided by HTTPS itself or by a
   pointer in a file served over HTTPS at the hosted domain.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-miller-posh

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-posh-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-miller-posh-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/