Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-ug-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:04:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Significance of IPv6 Interface Identifiers
	Author(s)       : Brian Carpenter
                          Sheng Jiang
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-ug-04.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-10-01

Abstract:
   The IPv6 addressing architecture includes a unicast interface
   identifier that is used in the creation of many IPv6 addresses.
   Interface identifiers are formed by a variety of methods.  This
   document clarifies that the bits in an interface identifier have no
   generic meaning and that the identifier should be treated as an
   opaque value.  In particular, RFC 4291 defines a method by which the
   Universal and Group bits of an IEEE link-layer address are mapped
   into an IPv6 unicast interface identifier.  This document clarifies
   that those two bits are significant only in interface identifiers
   that are derived from an IEEE link-layer address, and updates RFC
   4291 accordingly.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ug

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ug-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-ug-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/