Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 14:48:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Scalable Adaptive Multicast Research Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast
	Author(s)       : Matthias Waehlisch
                          Thomas C. Schmidt
                          Stig Venaas
	Filename        : draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-10.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2013-10-10

Abstract:
   Group communication services exist in a large variety of flavors and
   technical implementations at different protocol layers.  Multicast
   data distribution is most efficiently performed on the lowest
   available layer, but a heterogeneous deployment status of multicast
   technologies throughout the Internet requires an adaptive service
   binding at runtime.  Today, it is difficult to write an application
   that runs everywhere and at the same time makes use of the most
   efficient multicast service available in the network.  Facing
   robustness requirements, developers are frequently forced to use a
   stable, upper layer protocol provided by the application itself.
   This document describes a common multicast API that is suitable for
   transparent communication in underlay and overlay, and grants access
   to the different multicast flavors.  It proposes an abstract naming
   by multicast URIs and discusses mapping mechanisms between different
   namespaces and distribution technologies.  Additionally, this
   document describes the application of this API for building gateways
   that interconnect current multicast domains throughout the Internet.
   It reports on an implementation of the programming interface,
   including a service middleware.  This document is a product of the
   Scalable Adaptive Multicast (SAM) Research Group.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-samrg-common-api

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/