Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpauth-scram-auth-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 04:48:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Hypertext Transfer Protocol Authentication Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Salted Challenge Response (SCRAM) HTTP Authentication Mechanism
	Author(s)       : Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-httpauth-scram-auth-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2013-10-18

Abstract:
   The secure authentication mechanism most widely deployed and used by
   Internet application protocols is the transmission of clear-text
   passwords over a channel protected by Transport Layer Security (TLS).
   There are some significant security concerns with that mechanism,
   which could be addressed by the use of a challenge response
   authentication mechanism protected by TLS.  Unfortunately, the HTTP
   Digest challenge response mechanism presently on the standards track
   failed widespread deployment, and have had success only in limited
   use.

   This specification describes a family of HTTP authentication
   mechanisms called the Salted Challenge Response Authentication
   Mechanism (SCRAM), which addresses the security concerns and meets
   the deployability requirements.  When used in combination with TLS or
   an equivalent security layer, a mechanism from this family could
   improve the status-quo for application protocol authentication.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpauth-scram-auth

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpauth-scram-auth-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpauth-scram-auth-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/