Subject: I-D Action: draft-hallambaker-prismproof-trust-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 19:26:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : PRISM Proof Trust Model
	Author(s)       : Phillip Hallam-Baker
	Filename        : draft-hallambaker-prismproof-trust-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2013-10-16

Abstract:
   This paper extends Shanon's concept of a 'work factor' to provide an
   objective measure of the practical security offered by a protocol or
   infrastructure design. Considering the hypothetical work factor based
   on an informed estimate of the probable capabilities of an attacker
   with unknown resources provides a better indication of the relative
   strength of protocol designs than the computational work factor of
   the best known attack.

   The social work factor is a measure of the trustworthiness of a
   credential issued in a PKI based on the cost of having obtained the
   credential through fraud at a certain point in time. Use of the
   social work factor allows evaluation of Certificate Authority based
   trust models, peer to peer (Web of Trust) models to be evaluated in
   the same framework. The analysis shows that each model has clear
   benefits over the other for some classes of user but most classes of
   user are served better by a combination of both.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-prismproof-trust

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-prismproof-trust-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/