Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:41:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IEEE 802.11 MAC Profile for CAPWAP
	Author(s)       : Chunju Shao
                          Hui Deng
                          Rajesh S. Pazhyannur
                          Farooq Bari
                          Rong Zhang
                          Satoru Matsushima
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-10-11

Abstract:
   The CAPWAP protocol defines two modes of operation for IEEE 802.11
   WTPs: Split and Local MAC (medium access control), as described in
   [RFC5415],[RFC5416].  Specifically, [RFC5416] describes in detail the
   division of labor between WTP and AC in the Split and Local MAC
   modes.  Unfortunately, there are many functions that have not yet
   been clearly defined whether they belong to the WTP or the AC.  For
   example IEEE 802.11 encryption is specified as located in either in
   the AC or the WTP with no clear way to negotiate where it should be
   located.  This lack of specification leads to interoperability
   between AC and WTP when AC and WTP come from different vendors.  To
   solve this problem, this specification defines the concept of IEEE
   802.11 MAC profile where each profile refers to a table containing an
   unambigous division of labor between WTP and AC.  The profile is used
   as follows: the WTP informs the AC of the supported profiles and the
   AC selects the profile when it configures the WTP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/