Subject: I-D Action: draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:33:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A(nother) Registry for Performance Metrics
	Author(s)       : Marcelo Bagnulo
                          Al Morton
                          Philip Eardley
	Filename        : draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-01.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2013-10-21

Abstract:
   This memo investigates a scheme to organize registry entries,
   especially those defined in RFCs prepared in the IP Performance
   Metrics (IPPM) Working Group of the IETF, and applicable to all IETF
   metrics.  Three aspects make IPPM metric registration difficult: (1)
   Use of the Type-P notion to allow users to specify their own packet
   types. (2) Use of flexible input variables, called Parameters in IPPM
   definitions, some which determine the quantity measured and others
   which should not be specified until execution of the measurement. (3)
   Allowing flexibility in choice of statistics to summarize the results
   on a stream of measurement packets.  Specifically, this memo proposes
   a way to organize registry entries into columns that are well-
   defined, permiting consistent development of entries over time.
   Also, this fosters development of registry entries based on existing
   reference RFCs for performance metrics, and requires expert review
   for every entry before IANA action.

   This version contains an example registry entry for a passive
   endpoint metric based on RFC7003, an example active metric entry
   based on RFC3393 and RFC5481, and an example pure passive metric
   based on RFC5472.  Also, this version *continues* to allow blank
   entries in columns which have no applicability to a specific metric,
   or class of metrics.  This is preferred to more general registry
   organization because each column serves as a check-list item and
   helps to avoid omissions during registration and expert review.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/