Subject: I-D Action: draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:38:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : DTLS Relay for Constrained Environments
	Author(s)       : Sandeep S. Kumar
                          Sye Loong Keoh
                          Oscar Garcia-Morchon
	Filename        : draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2013-10-21

Abstract:
   The 6LoWPAN and CoAP standards defined for resource-constrained
   devices are fast emerging as the de-facto protocols for enabling the
   Internet-of-Things (IoTs).  Security is an important concern in IoTs
   and the DTLS protocol has been chosen as the preferred method for
   securing CoAP messages.  DTLS is a point-to-point protocol relying on
   the IP routing to deliver messages between the client and the server.
   However in some low-power lossy networks (LLNs) with multi-hop, a new
   "joining" device may not be initially IP routable.  This prevents
   DTLS from being directly useful as an authentication and
   confidentiality protocol during this stage, requiring other security
   protocols to be implemented on the device.  These devices being
   resource-constrained often cannot accommodate more than one security
   protocol in their code memory.  To overcome this problem and reuse
   DTLS, we present a DTLS Relay solution for the non-IP routable
   "joining" device to establish a secure DTLS connection with a DTLS
   server.  Further we present a stateful and stateless mode of
   operation for the DTLS Relay.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/