Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 16:24:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Model Based Bulk Performance Metrics
	Author(s)       : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-01.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2013-10-21

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of model based metrics designed to determine
   if a long network path can meet predefined end-to-end application
   performance targets by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath at a time tests are designed to
   exclude all known conditions which might prevent the full end-to-end
   path from meeting the user's target application performance.

   This approach makes it possible to to determine the IP performance
   requirements needed to support the desired end-to-end TCP
   performance.  The IP metrics are based on traffic patterns that mimic
   TCP or other transport protocol but are precomputed independently of
   the actual behavior of the transport protocol over the subpath under
   test.  This makes the measurements open loop, eliminating nearly all
   of the difficulties encountered by traditional bulk transport
   metrics, which fundamentally depend on congestion control equilibrium
   behavior.

   A natural consequence of this methodology is verifiable network
   measurement: measurements from any given vantage point can be
   verified by repeating them from other vantage points.

   Formatted: Mon Oct 21 15:42:35 PDT 2013

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/