Subject: I-D Action: draft-bormann-core-roadmap-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:13:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : CoRE Roadmap and Implementation Guide
	Author(s)       : Carsten Bormann
	Filename        : draft-bormann-core-roadmap-05.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2013-10-21

Abstract:
   The CoRE set of protocols, in particular the CoAP protocol, is
   defined in draft-ietf-core-coap in conjunction with a number of
   specifications that are currently nearing completion.  There are also
   several dozen more individual Internet-Drafts in various states of
   development, with various levels of WG review and interest.

   Today, this is simply a bewildering array of documents.  Beyond the
   main four documents, it is hard to find relevant information and
   assess the status of proposals.  At the level of Internet-Drafts, the
   IETF has only adoption as a WG document to assign status - too crude
   an instrument to assess the level of development and standing for
   anyone who does not follow the daily proceedings of the WG.

   With a more long-term perspective, as additional drafts mature and
   existing specifications enter various levels of spec maintenance, the
   entirety of these specifications may become harder to understand,
   pose specific implementation problems, or be simply inconsistent.

   The present guide aims to provide a roadmap to these documents as
   well as provide specific advice how to use these specifications in
   combination.  In certain cases, it may provide clarifications or even
   corrections to the specifications referenced.

   This guide is intended as a continued work-in-progress, i.e. a long-
   lived Internet-Draft, to be updated whenever new information becomes
   available and new consensus on how to handle issues is formed.
   Similar to the ROHC implementation guide, RFC 4815, it might be
   published as an RFC at some future time later in the acceptance curve
   of the specifications.

   This document does not describe a new protocol or attempt to set a
   new standard of any kind - it mostly describes good practice in using
   the existing specifications, but it may also document emerging
   consensus where a correction needs to be made.

   (TODO: The present version does not completely cover the new
   Internet-Drafts submitted concurrently with it; it is to be updated
   by the start of IETF88.)

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bormann-core-roadmap

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-core-roadmap-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bormann-core-roadmap-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/