Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:34:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Locator/ID Separation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : An Architectural Introduction to the LISP Location-Identity Separation System
	Author(s)       : J. Noel Chiappa
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02.txt
	Pages           : 57
	Date            : 2013-10-01

Abstract:
   LISP is an upgrade to the architecture of the IP internetworking
   system, one which separates location and identity (previously
   intermingled in IP addresses).  This is a change which has been
   identified by the IRTF as a critically necessary evolutionary
   architectural step for the Internet.  In LISP, nodes have both a
   'locator' (a name which says _where_ in the network's connectivity
   structure the node is) and an 'identifier' (a name which provides a
   persistent handle for the node).  A node may have more than one
   locator, or its locator may change over time (e.g. if the node is
   mobile), but it keeps the same identifier.

   One of the chief novelties of LISP, compared to other proposals for
   the separation of location and identity, is its approach to deploying
   this upgrade.  LISP aims to achieve the near-ubiquitous deployment
   necessary for maximum exploitation of an architectural upgrade by i)
   minimizing the amount of change needed (existing hosts and routers
   can operate unmodified); and ii) by providing significant benefits to
   early adopters.

   This document is an introductory overview of the entire LISP system,
   for those who are unfamiliar with it.  The first half of the document
   is a unified stand-alone brief introduction to LISP, for those who
   only want a basic understanding of LISP; the document taken as a
   whole provides a more detailed overview of LISP and its operation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lisp-introduction-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/