Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:05:20 -0800

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : Special-Use Domain Names of Peer-to-Peer Name Systems
    Author(s)     : C. Grothoff, et al
    Filename      : draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names
    Pages         : 9 
    Date          : 2013-11-14 
    
   Today, the Domain Name System (DNS) is a key service for the
   Internet.  DNS is primarily used to map human-memorable names to IP
   addresses, which are used for routing but generally not meaningful
   for humans.  However, the hierarchical nature of DNS makes it
   unsuitable for various Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Name Systems.  As
   compatibility with applications using DNS names is desired, these
   overlay networks often define alternative pseudo Top-Level Domains
   (pTLDs) to integrate names from the P2P domain into the DNS
   hierarchy.

   This memo describes common Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761]
   pseudo Top-Level DNS Names designed to help harden name resolution
   security (e.g., [RFC6840][RFC6975]), provide censorship resistance,
   and protect the users&#39; privacy on the Internet.

   In this IESG Approval document we are asking for domain name
   reservations for five Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761] TLDs:
   &quot;.gnu&quot;, &quot;.zkey&quot;, &quot;.onion&quot;, &quot;.exit&quot;, and &quot;.i2p&quot;.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.