Subject: I-D Action: draft-sb-nvo3-sdn-federation-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:01:58 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Federated SDN-based Controllers for NVO3
	Author(s)       : Florin Balus
                          Dimitri Stiliadis
                          Nabil Bitar
                          Kenichi Ogaki
	Filename        : draft-sb-nvo3-sdn-federation-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2013-11-22

Abstract:
   The familiar toolset of VPN and IP/MPLS protocols defined in IETF
   has been discussed as a good starting point for addressing several
   of the problems described in the NVO3 problem statement and
   requirements drafts. However, there is a significant gap between the
   VPN technologies and the scale and complexity required when the NVEs
   are running in server hypervisors.

   This draft proposes a solution that bridges the gap between the
   concepts familiar to the data center IT community with some of the
   best concepts developed by the networking industry.

   The proposed solution is based on the understanding that in a cloud
   environment NVEs may reside in end-devices that should not be
   burdened with the complexities of control plane protocols. The
   complex control plane functionalities are decoupled from the
   forwarding plane to minimize the required NVE processing,
   recognizing that major hypervisor distributions already employ
   Openflow to address this issue.

   The solution also defines the mechanisms for scaling data center
   network control horizontally and interoperates seamlessly with
   existing L2 and L3 VPN devices.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sb-nvo3-sdn-federation

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sb-nvo3-sdn-federation-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-sb-nvo3-sdn-federation-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/