Subject: I-D Action: draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 07:00:54 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Providing Time over DHCP for devices w/o reliable clock upon boot
	Author(s)       : Olafur Gudmundsson
	Filename        : draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2013-11-04

Abstract:
   Many small inexpensive computing devices like home routers, Rasberry
   Pi etc. do not have a battery thus the systems have no idea what the
   current time is upon boot.  Number of modern services take Time
   Synchronization for granted, but operating systems do not allow the
   start of these services to be deferred until after accurate clock has
   been confirmed.

   NTP provides accurate fine grain clock synchronization but in order
   for NTP to succeed DNS needs work.  DNSSEC resolvers will fail if
   system clock is off by more than little bit.  This draft proposes a
   mechanism to offer "reasonable" current time to devices upon boot via
   DHCP .

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/