Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-resnick-on-consensus-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:52:10 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

    Title         : On Consensus and Humming in the IETF
    Author(s)     : P. Resnick
    Filename      : draft-resnick-on-consensus
    Pages         : 17 
    Date          : 2013-11-01 
    
   The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
   a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
   IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
   technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
   by a &quot;majority rule&quot; philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
   like &quot;humming&quot; instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
   actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
   letting the majority win the day without consideration of minority
   concerns.  This document is a collection of thoughts on what rough
   consensus is, how we have gotten away from it, how we might think
   about it differently, and the things we can do in order to really
   achieve rough consensus.

      Note (to be removed before publication): This document is quite
      consciously being put forward as Informational.  It does not
      propose to change any IETF processes and is therefore not a BCP.
      It is simply a collection of principles, hopefully around which
      the IETF can come to (at least rough) consensus.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-resnick-on-consensus-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.