Subject: I-D Action: draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 04:37:32 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Intended status: (IESG Approval) Expires: May 17th, 2014
	Author(s)       : Christian Grothoff
                          Matthias Wachs
                          Hellekin O. Wolf
                          Jacob Appelbaum
	Filename        : draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2013-11-14

Abstract:
   Today, the Domain Name System (DNS) is a key service for the
   Internet.  DNS is primarily used to map human-memorable names to IP
   addresses, which are used for routing but generally not meaningful
   for humans.  However, the hierarchical nature of DNS makes it
   unsuitable for various Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Name Systems.  As
   compatibility with applications using DNS names is desired, these
   overlay networks often define alternative pseudo Top-Level Domains
   (pTLDs) to integrate names from the P2P domain into the DNS
   hierarchy.

   This memo describes common Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761]
   pseudo Top-Level DNS Names designed to help harden name resolution
   security (e.g., [RFC6840][RFC6975]), provide censorship resistance,
   and protect the users' privacy on the Internet.

   In this IESG Approval document we are asking for domain name
   reservations for five Special-Use Domain Names [RFC6761] TLDs:
   ".gnu", ".zkey", ".onion", ".exit", and ".i2p".

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grothoff-iesg-special-use-p2p-names-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/