Subject: I-D Action: draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 19:46:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : SDN Layers and Architecture Terminology
	Author(s)       : Evangelos Haleplidis
                          Spyros Denazis
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Jamal Hadi Salim
                          Odysseas Koufopavlou
	Filename        : draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-02.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2013-11-04

Abstract:
   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) is a new approach for network
   programmability.  Network programmability refers to the ability to
   control, change, and manage network behavior dynamically through
   software via open interfaces as opposed to relying on closed boxes
   and propietary defined interfaces.  SDN introduces an abstraction for
   the data forwarding plane and, by doing so, separates it from the
   control plane.  This separation allows faster innovation cycles at
   both planes as experience has already shown.  However, there is
   increasing confusion as to what exactly SDN is, what is the layer
   structure in an SDN architecture and how do layers interface with
   each other.  This document does not aim to standardize any layers or
   interfaces but rather aims to answer these questions and provide a
   concise reference document for SDNRG in particular, and the SDN
   community in general.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/