Subject: I-D Action: draft-moncaster-tsvwg-transport-services-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 05:25:11 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Problem Statement: Why the IETF Needs Defined Transport Services
	Author(s)       : Toby Moncaster
                          Jon Crowcroft
                          Michael Welzl
                          David Ros
                          Michael Tuexen
	Filename        : draft-moncaster-tsvwg-transport-services-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2013-12-04

Abstract:
   The IETF has defined a wide range of transport protocols over the
   past three decades.  However, the majority of these have failed to
   find traction within the Internet.  This has left developers with
   little choice but to use TCP and UDP for most applications.  In many
   cases the developer isn't interested in which transport protocol they
   should use.  Rather they are interested in the set of services that
   the protocol provides to their application.  TCP provides a very rich
   set of transport services, but offers no flexibility over which
   services can be used.  By contrast, UDP provides a minimal set of
   services.

   As a consequence many developers have begun to write application-
   level transport protocols that operate on top of UDP and offer them
   some of the flexibility they are looking for.  We believe that this
   highlights a real problem: applications would like to be able to
   specify the services they receive from the transport protocol, but
   currently transport protocols are not defined in this fashion.  There
   is an additional problem relating to how to ensure new protocols are
   able to be adopted within the Internet, but that is beyond the scope
   of this problem statement.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moncaster-tsvwg-transport-services

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moncaster-tsvwg-transport-services-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-moncaster-tsvwg-transport-services-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/