Subject: I-D Action: draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 12:42:26 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Providing Time over DHCP and ND for devices w/o reliable clock upon boot
	Author(s)       : Olafur Gudmundsson
	Filename        : draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2013-12-01

Abstract:
   Many small inexpensive computing devices like home routers, Rasberry
   Pi etc. do not have a battery to allow clock chip to keep track of
   time, thus the systems have no idea what the current time is upon
   boot.  Number of modern services take Time Synchronization for
   granted, but operating systems do not allow the start of these
   services to be deferred until after accurate clock has been
   confirmed.

   NTP provides accurate fine grain clock synchronization but in order
   for NTP to succeed DNS needs to work.  DNSSEC resolvers will fail if
   system clock is off by more than little bit.  This draft proposes a
   mechanism to offer "reasonable" current time to devices upon boot via
   DHCP, DHCPv6 and ND.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ogud-dhc-udp-time-option-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/