Subject: I-D Action: draft-sheffer-dhc-initial-random-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 14:05:53 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : A DHCP Extension To Provide Initial Random Material
	Author(s)       : Yaron Sheffer
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-sheffer-dhc-initial-random-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2013-12-04

Abstract:
   Some network devices get little or no entropy from their underlying
   operating systems when they are first started.  As a result,
   cryptographic applications started before there is sufficient entropy
   in the operating system's pool can be initialized into a state that
   can be exploited by an attacker.  This document defines a DHCP
   extension that can provide the operating system of a network device
   with some initial randomness that can only be known by an attacker
   who is on the same network segment as the device and its DHCP server.
   The operating system can mix this random input into its random pool
   early in the boot procedure and thus have more entropy available when
   cryptographic applications start.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sheffer-dhc-initial-random

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sheffer-dhc-initial-random-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/