Subject: I-D Action: draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 05:23:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : "Non Accession to the ITRs Considered Harmful"
	Author(s)       : Richard Hill
	Filename        : draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2013-12-18

Abstract:
  One of the treaties administered by the International
  Telecommunications Union is the International Telecommunications
  Regulations (ITRs), whose purpose is to promote the development of
  telecommunication services.  The 1988 version of the ITRs opened the
  way for privatisation, liberalization, and the growth of the Internet
  and mobile networks. [Hill-2013a, p. 8]  Given the subsequent
  significant structural and technological changes, the ITU Member
  States agreed to meet in 2012 to revise the ITRs.  While consensus
  was found on an overwhelming majority of the treaty text, some
  provisions proved to be controversial, leading to a split in the
  membership and sharp criticism of selected provisions.

  As a result, some ITU Member States did not sign the treaty.  This
  document analyses that criticism and attempts to place it in context;
  it identifies problems that may arise if states to not accede
  to the treaty, and suggests a way forward, concluding that not
  acceding may have undesirable results for the citizens of
  non-signatory countries and for interoperability in general.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hill-itr-non-accession-harmful-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/