Subject: I-D Action: draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 05:30:53 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Diet-ESP: a flexible and compressed format for IPsec/ESP
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Tobias Guggemos
                          Daniel Palomares
	Filename        : draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2014-01-31

Abstract:
   IPsec/ESP has been designed to secure IP packets exchanged between
   two nodes.  IPsec implements security at the IP layer which makes
   security transparent to the applications, as opposed to TLS or DTLS
   that requires application to implement TLS/DTLS.  As a result, IPsec
   enable to define the security rules in a similar way one establishes
   firewall rules.

   One of the IPsec's drawbacks is that implementing security on a per
   packet basis adds overhead to each IP packet.  Considering IoT
   devices, the data transmitted over an IP packet is expected to be
   rather small, and the cost of sending extra bytes is so high that
   IPsec/ESP can hardly be used for IoT as it is currently defined in
   RFC 4303.

   This document defines Diet-ESP, a protocol that compress and reduce
   the ESP overhead of IPsec/ESP so that it can fit security and energy
   efficient IoT requirements.  Diet-ESP use already existing mechanism
   like IKEv2 to negotiate the compression format.  Furthermore a lot of
   information, already existing for an IPsec Security Association, are
   reused to offer light negotiation in addition to maximum compression.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-dice-diet-esp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/