Subject: I-D Action: draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:22:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP option for no server-response
        Authors         : Abhijan Bhattacharyya
                          Soma Bandyopadhyay
                          Arpan Pal
	Filename        : draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-05.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2014-01-28

Abstract:
   There can be typical M2M scenarios where responses from the data
   sink to the data source against request/ notification from the
   source might be considered redundant. This kind of open-loop
   exchange (with no reverse path from the sink to the source) may be
   desired while updating resources in constrained systems looking for
   maximized throughput with minimized resource consumption. CoAP
   already provides a non-confirmable (NON) mode of exchange where The
   receiving end-point does not respond with ACK. However, the
   receiving end-point responds the sender with a status code
   indicating "the result of the attempt to understand and satisfy the
   request".

   This draft introduces a header option: 'No-Response' to suppress
   responses from the receiver and discusses exemplary use cases which
   motivated this proposition based on real experience. This option
   also provides granularity by allowing suppression of a typical class
   or a combination of classes of responses. This option may be
   effective for both unicast and multicast scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/