Subject: I-D Action: draft-klensin-dotless-terminology-harmful-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:18:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : "Dotless Domains", Confusion, and DNS Terminology
        Author          : John C Klensin
	Filename        : draft-klensin-dotless-terminology-harmful-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2014-01-23

Abstract:
   The history of the DNS has included a great deal of confusion about
   terminology that has, in turn, led to discussions in which different
   parties have used the same words for different things.  For example,
   "host name" has been used to describe both fully-qualified domain
   names with particular properties and the first label component of
   such names.  While established inconsistent uses may be impossible to
   correct, it is in the interest of the community to avoid increasing
   the confusion.  There have recently been a number of discussions
   about "dotless domains" with at least four different definitions used
   or implied in different contexts.  This document explains those uses
   and recommends avoiding the use of the term.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-dotless-terminology-harmful/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-dotless-terminology-harmful-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/