Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 04:18:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Temporal and hitless path segment monitoring
        Authors         : Alessandro D'Alessandro
                          Manuel Paul
                          Satoshi Ueno
                          Kaoru Arai
                          Yoshinori Koike
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-05.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2014-01-31

Abstract:
   The MPLS transport profile (MPLS-TP) is being standardized to enable
   carrier-grade packet transport and complement converged packet
   network deployments. Among the most attractive features of MPLS-TP
   are OAM functions, which enable network operators or service
   providers to provide various maintenance characteristics, such as
   fault location, survivability, performance monitoring, and
   preliminary or in-service measurements.

   One of the most important mechanisms which is common for transport
   network operation is fault location. A segment monitoring function
   of a transport path is effective in terms of extension of the
   maintenance work and indispensable particularly when the OAM
   function is effective only between end points. However, the current
   approach defined for MPLS-TP for the segment monitoring (SPME) has
   some fatal drawbacks. This document elaborates on the problem
   statement for the Sub-path Maintenance Elements (SPMEs) which
   provides monitoring of a portion of a set of transport paths (LSPs
   or MS-PWs). Based on the problems, this document specifies new
   requirements to consider a new improved mechanism of hitless
   transport path segment monitoring.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task
   Force (IETF) / International Telecommunications Union
   Telecommunications Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include
   an MPLS Transport Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3
   architectures to support the capabilities and functionalities of a
   packet transport network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/