Subject: I-D Action: draft-shen-soc-avalanche-restart-overload-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 18:16:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Mechanism for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Avalanche Restart Overload Control
        Authors         : Charles Shen
                          Henning Schulzrinne
                          Arata Koike
	Filename        : draft-shen-soc-avalanche-restart-overload-07.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2014-02-10

Abstract:
   When a large number of clients register with a SIP registrar server
   at approximately the same time, the server may become overloaded.
   Near-simultaneous floods of SIP SUBSCRIBE and PUBLISH requests may
   have similar effects.  Such request avalanches can occur, for
   example, after a power failure and recovery in a metropolitan area.
   This document describes how to avoid such overload situations.  Under
   this mechanism, a server estimates an avalanche restart backoff
   interval during its normal operation and conveys this interval to its
   clients through a new Restart-Timer header in normal response
   messages.  Once an avalanche restart actually occurs, the clients
   perform backoff based on the previously received Restart-Timer header
   value before sending out the first request attempt.  Thus, the
   mechanism spreads all the initial client requests and prevents them
   from overloading the server.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-shen-soc-avalanche-restart-overload/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shen-soc-avalanche-restart-overload-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-shen-soc-avalanche-restart-overload-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/