Subject: I-D Action: draft-krishnan-i2rs-large-flow-use-case-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 06:54:57 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Large Flow Use Cases for I2RS PBR and QoS
        Authors         : Ram Krishnan
                          Anoop Ghanwani
                          Sriganesh Kini
                          Dave Mcdysan
                          Diego Lopez
	Filename        : draft-krishnan-i2rs-large-flow-use-case-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-02-08

Abstract:
   This draft discusses two use cases to help identify the requirements
   for policy-based routing in I2RS.  Both of the use cases involve
   identification of certain flows and then using I2RS to program
   special handling for those flows.

   The first use case deals with improving bandwidth efficiency.
   Demands on networking bandwidth are growing exponentially due to
   applications such as large file transfers and those with rich media.
   Link Aggregation Group (LAG) and Equal Cost Multipath (ECMP) are
   extensively deployed in networks to scale the bandwidth. However,
   the flow-based load balancing techniques used today make inefficient
   use of the bandwidth in the presence of long-lived large flows. We
   discuss how I2RS can be used for achieving better load balancing.

   The second use case is for recognizing and mitigating Layer 3-4
   based DDoS attacks. Behavioral security threats such as Distributed
   Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are an ongoing problem in today's
   networks. DDoS attacks can be Layer 3-4 based or Layer 7 based. We
   discuss how such attacks can be recognized and how I2RS can be used
   for mitigating their effects.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-krishnan-i2rs-large-flow-use-case/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-krishnan-i2rs-large-flow-use-case-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-krishnan-i2rs-large-flow-use-case-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/