Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 05:46:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : AS112 Redirection using DNAME
        Authors         : Joe Abley
                          Brian Dickson
                          Warren Kumari
                          George Michaelson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2014-02-14

Abstract:
   Many sites connected to the Internet make use of IPv4 addresses that
   are not globally unique.  Examples are the addresses designated in
   RFC 1918 for private use within individual sites.

   Devices in such environments may occasionally originate Domain Name
   System (DNS) queries (so-called "reverse lookups") corresponding to
   those private-use addresses.  Since the addresses concerned have only
   local significance, it is good practice for site administrators to
   ensure that such queries are answered locally.  However, it is not
   uncommon for such queries to follow the normal delegation path in the
   public DNS instead of being answered within the site.

   It is not possible for public DNS servers to give useful answers to
   such queries.  In addition, due to the wide deployment of private-use
   addresses and the continuing growth of the Internet, the volume of
   such queries is large and growing.  The AS112 project aims to provide
   a distributed sink for such queries in order to reduce the load on
   the IN-ADDR.ARPA authoritative servers.  The AS112 project is named
   after the Autonomous System Number (ASN) that was assigned to it.

   The AS112 project does not accommodate the addition and removal of
   DNS zones elegantly.  Since additional zones of definitively local
   significance are known to exist, this presents a problem.  This
   document describes modifications to the deployment and use of AS112
   infrastructure that will allow zones to be added and dropped much
   more easily.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-dname-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/