Subject: I-D Action: draft-gont-6man-lla-opt-validation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 06:53:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Validation of Neighbor Discovery Source Link-Layer Address (SLLA) and Target Link-layer Address (TLLA) options
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Ronald P. Bonica
                          Will (Shucheng) Liu
	Filename        : draft-gont-6man-lla-opt-validation-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-02-14

Abstract:
   This memo documents two scenarios in which an on-link attacker emits
   a crafted IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND) packet that poisons its
   victim's neighbor cache.  In the first scenario, the attacker causes
   a victim to map a local IPv6 address to a local router's own link-
   layer address.  In the second scenario, the attacker causes the
   victim to map a unicast IP address to a link layer broadcast address.
   In both scenarios, the attacker can exploit the poisoned neighbor
   cache to perform a subsequent forwording-loop attack, thus
   potentially causing a Denial of Service.

   Finally, this memo specifies simple validations that the recipient of
   an ND message can execute in order to protect itself against the
   above-mentioned threats.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-6man-lla-opt-validation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-lla-opt-validation-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/