Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-conex-data-centre-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:36:35 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Network Performance Isolation in Data Centres using Congestion Policing
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Murari Sridharan
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-conex-data-centre-02.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2014-02-14

Abstract:
   This document describes how a multi-tenant (or multi-department) data
   centre operator can isolate tenants from network performance
   degradation due to each other's usage, but without losing the
   multiplexing benefits of a LAN-style network where anyone can use any
   amount of any resource.  Zero per-tenant configuration and no
   implementation change is required on network equipment.  Instead the
   solution is implemented with a simple change to the hypervisor (or
   container) beneath the tenant's virtual machines on every physical
   server connected to the network.  These collectively enforce a very
   simple distributed contract - a single network allowance that each
   tenant can allocate among their virtual machines, even if distributed
   around the network.  The solution uses layer-3 switches that support
   explicit congestion notification (ECN).  It is best if the sending
   operating system supports congestion exposure (ConEx).  Nonetheless,
   the operator can unilaterally deploy a complete solution while
   operating systems are being incrementally upgraded to support ConEx
   and ECN.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-conex-data-centre/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-conex-data-centre-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-conex-data-centre-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/