Subject: I-D Action: draft-taht-kelley-hunt-dhcpv4-to-slaac-naming-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:06:13 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DHCPv4 to SLAAC DNS naming
        Authors         : Dave Taht
                          Evan Hunt
                          Simon Kelley
	Filename        : draft-taht-kelley-hunt-dhcpv4-to-slaac-naming-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2014-02-14

Abstract:
   This memo presents a technique for using the hostname acquired from a
   DHCPv4 client request to publish AAAA records on that domain name for
   public IPv6 addresses acquired by the same dual-stack host using
   SLAAC.

   On dual-stack networks, there is a need to automatically publish
   entries in the DNS for the public IPv6 addresses of an IPv6 host when
   it does not use DHCPv6.  IPv6 hosts can acquire IPv6 addresses using
   SLAAC, but there is no mechanism allowing them to register a name in
   the DNS database other than a DNS update, which would create a very
   difficult key management problem.  By combining the DHCPv4 hostname
   or client FQDN option with information acquired using ICMPv6, a
   lightweight DHCPv4 server on a home gateway or SOHO gateway can
   automatically publish AAAA records for such hosts.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-taht-kelley-hunt-dhcpv4-to-slaac-naming/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-taht-kelley-hunt-dhcpv4-to-slaac-naming-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/