Subject: I-D Action: draft-rizzo-6lo-6legacy-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 07:46:14 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 mapping to non-IP protocols
        Authors         : Gianluca Rizzo
                          Antonio J. Jara
                          Alex C. Olivieri
                          Yann Bocchi
                          Maria Rita Palattella
                          Latif Ladid
	Filename        : draft-rizzo-6lo-6legacy-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-02-11

Abstract:
   IPv6 is an important enabler of the Internet of Things, since it
   provides an addressing space large enough to encompass a vast and
   ubiquitous set of sensors and devices, allowing them to interconnect
   and interact seamlessly.  Many of those devices presently are based
   on networking technologies other than IP.  In order to include them
   into an IPv6 based Internet of Things, a mechanism for assigning an
   IPv6 address to each of them is required.

   The only existing proposal for a standard way of assigning an IPv6
   address to devices which do not support IPv6 or IPv4, is very
   generic, it leaves many problems unsolved and it is nowadays
   inadequate to cope with the new scenarios opened by the Internet of
   Things.  This document defines a mechanism, 6TONon-IP, for assigning
   automatically an IPv6 address to devices which do not support IPv6 or
   IPv4, in a way which minimizes the chances of address conflicts, and
   of frequent configuration changes due to instability of connection
   among devices.  Such a mapping mechanism enables stateless
   autoconfiguration for legacy technology devices, allowing them to to
   interconnect through the Internet and to fully integrate into a world
   wide scale IPv6 IoT.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rizzo-6lo-6legacy/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rizzo-6lo-6legacy-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/