Subject: I-D Action: draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:08:58 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for Abstraction and Control of Transport Networks
        Authors         : Young Lee
                          Daniel King
	Filename        : draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2014-02-05

Abstract:
   Previously transport networks were typically static, lacked
   flexibility, and required long planning times when deploying new
   services. Network Providers and Service Providers have embraced
   technologies that allow separation of data plane and control plane,
   distributed signaling for path setup and protection, and centralized
   path computation for service planning and traffic engineering.
   Although these technologies provide significant benefits, they do
   not meet the growing need for network programmability, automation,
   resource sharing, and service elasticity necessary for meeting
   customer demands and evolving Internet applications

   By combining the aforementioned capabilities with network resource
   virtualization and abstraction mechanisms, available via well-
   defined customer interfaces, providing significant operational
   benefits to meet the growing demands from customers and
   applications. The work effort investigating this problem space is
   known as Abstraction and Control of Transport Networks (ACTN).

   This document provides an ACTN problem description, scope of work,
   and outlines the core requirements to facilitate network resource
   virtualization and resource slicing for customers and applications,
   across Service Provider and Network Provider transport network
   infrastructure.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/